Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the big trick of the depths is that its an inverted height map of Hyrule with any water above-ground turning into impassable mountains. All the shrines are lightroots and all the major settlements are mine locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainJuan posted:

Do I HAVE to get past the lost woods via the depths? can't figure out if there's a trick through navigating the fog

Yes.

Jump down the chasm SE of the entrance to the Lost Woods, it's a straight shot from there.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Just built this stretch limo and it actually loving worked.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Trying a video url

https://imgur.com/gallery/BvIrkIW

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zore posted:

Yeah, the big trick of the depths is that its an inverted height map of Hyrule with any water above-ground turning into impassable mountains. All the shrines are lightroots and all the major settlements are mine locations.

This makes getting into some areas a fun time. For instance, does anyone know how to get into the depths at that island just east of the castle, with the park ruins location? I’ve looked for a well but I didn’t see one. It’s driving me nuts, it’s like the one place in that part of the map besides the castle that I haven’t lit up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vandar posted:

Where was this at?

In the middle of lookout Landing where you drop down. After doing a main dungeon a passage opened up with rocks you can destroy behind it and a full mini dungeon in there that connects to hyrule castle

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao any one of Link’s four main abilities in isolation should be making the game explode in a million different ways but and the game lets you use them in combination with each other

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I beat the game tonight. An incredible ending. Honestly my favorite in any Zelda game. This is truly a masterpiece. I’m excited to finish the shrines and gently caress around with the Zonai devices. There’s still so much game to be had.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Augus posted:

lmao any one of Link’s four main abilities in isolation should be making the game explode in a million different ways but and the game lets you use them in combination with each other

Yeah, they're pretty easy to describe but actually implementing them? It's a lot of failure points.

Edit: I think the Magic Glue is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that respect, at least for some of the more apparent failures. Throw a glob of it on there and you don't need to worry about rendering clipping, and once an object's in motion if any stresses get too weird there's built-in failure points rather than trying to maintain the rigid objects.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 22, 2023

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I plopped a travel medallion right in front of what I'm 99% sure is the final boss room, worried that beating the game will kill my motivation to complete all the other content.

There's still so much to do, I'm having bad choice paralysis even in end game

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

This makes getting into some areas a fun time. For instance, does anyone know how to get into the depths at that island just east of the castle, with the park ruins location? I’ve looked for a well but I didn’t see one. It’s driving me nuts, it’s like the one place in that part of the map besides the castle that I haven’t lit up.

This one was tricky, There's a cave by the waterline that leads to the chasm.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BrokenLink posted:

This one was tricky, There's a cave by the waterline that leads to the chasm.

drat, I swear I circled the whole place and didn’t spot that. That might even be something referred to in a book I just found at a Yiga hideout yesterday, it mentioned a chasm entrance concealed in a cave

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
It's really hard to see from the island itself, it's much easier to spot on a boat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is there a Lightroot or Lightroots that illuminate the depths under the Tingle Islands?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BrokenLink posted:

It's really hard to see from the island itself, it's much easier to spot on a boat.

I got it, I must have looked right at that spot twice without seeing it. It’s another chasm that drops you right on top of a Frox lol too

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Caidin posted:

Link rarely has mojo of his own though? I mean he'll accumulate magic whatsits like the ocarina by merit or chance or get turned into a wolf and have people in his corner who turn things like that to his favor but compared to the magical dynamo's that are Ganondorf and Zelda, Link mostly makes do with a sword and a face that can take a stunning amount of punishment. Even in these games he owes a lot to a magic ipad and Rauru lending a hand.

I've always felt like the Triforce of Courage is just what gives Link the determination to take any amount of ridiculous bullshit to the face and just keep on trucking.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The triforce of courage is what lets you hit reload/continue after you die :V

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Question: I’m pretty early on but I wanna cash in my Korok poop. The game hasn’t been like, super subtle about nudging me towards Rito Village, so I’m just gonna go ahead and assume his initial appearance is tied to that? Is he pretty much right on the road like last game if I just start heading there?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Last Celebration posted:

Question: I’m pretty early on but I wanna cash in my Korok poop. The game hasn’t been like, super subtle about nudging me towards Rito Village, so I’m just gonna go ahead and assume his initial appearance is tied to that? Is he pretty much right on the road like last game if I just start heading there?

Yes, but enough off to the side that I missed seeing him the first couple of times.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Last Celebration posted:

He's a tiny bit further off the track, but still visible from the road. If you do miss him, once you clear the Rito trouble he'll move to Lookout Landing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cool, thanks. Man this game is rad. Can’t wait to aimlessly explore my way to the master sword after meeting giant maraca kid.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

I wish they could figure out how to tell a compelling story in this framework. The sandbox is amazing, just like BOTW, but man the seams really start to show when you're doing anything related to the "main" quest series.

My favorite example is the copy/pasted conclusion to each of the four dungeons. I know why they're doing it that way, but it feels really cheap when you realize what's happening.

I kind of wonder if it would have worked with a longer cutscene that went "this was the state of X group during Hyrule's earliest days, this is how we suffered when Ganondorf rolled in, generic scene of the final battle, afterwards our people rebuilt and became strong and prosperous, also Zelda showed up and told me about you". Of course the words "longer cutscene" makes many players break out in hives so even with the skip function something like that could've dissuaded developers. (Y'know, that and the need to pay voice actors. :v: )

It would have also worked fixing how there's so little said about the Gerudo in what should have been a massive, tragic, society-changing event for them: There are Gerudo who are working alongside Chief Ganondorf's attempted conquest in an earlier memory, but after becoming the Demon King he's said to be attacking "free" Gerudo villages. And... that's basically it. Why did he turn on his own people? Were these villages rebels who have always opposed his rule, or did they only denounce him after he murdered a fellow royal and summoned monsters all over the land? Or were they never rebels at all and he just started attacking his people because lol evil? How about the Gerudo sage - since the memory describes the masked sages as "leaders" does that mean she's the acting chief now? Then maybe she could show a little more reaction than silently looking away when informed that all of her towns have fallen to the enemy! If any sidequests give more info on this stuff then I haven't gotten to it yet, all I know if that I've finished the entire main story and there were some huge missed opportunities with the Gerudo.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh hey the light dragon is pretty close to me, I bet I can get to him. Hey cool free scale! What’s that on his head?

Oh.

I guess I have the Master Sword now! :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/hallobruce/status/1660342107620655104

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten two dungeons so far, and gotta say - not a fan. Still the weakest part of the game by far and in some way even inferior to the Beasts.
There is a central theme and spectacle is nice, but all the puzzles are disconnected as if it's 4-6 shrines glued together. And not even good ones! Some shrines actually have very fun linear level progression.

That said, otherwise game owns and I wasn't expecting a loving party to hang around

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i mostly like the temples themselves but they're easily the weakest parts of the game. for the love of god Nintendo figure out how to weld a msq to the open world

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah the linearity of the msq just doesn't work well with the open world. it's open, but if you basically go about exploring the game in a wrong way, you really screw yourself over, too

the armour/defence rating system also works really poorly. decoupling resistance gear from base defence would probably work better

definitely don't agree about them being inferior to the beasts in botw, though: still much better just on account of having distinct character, if nothing else

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How long do the dragons take to do their route? I need some parts to upgrade the Fierce Deity armor and I'm considering just waiting on their route

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
Word of warning I got a migraine playing the lightning temple yesterday. Pretty sure it was the sharp beams of light that triggered it Stopped playing altogether in the morning when I first realized what was up and did not pick up until this afternoon.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

For those doing the ancient stone tablets (star islands) quest:

There are actually thirteen islands, not twelve. The tablet in Lookout fell from an island that is impossibly high up, and I thought maybe the game was giving me an extreme challenge or a separate quest was involved. But nope, I just missed another one and wasted a lot of rockets and batteries and balloons trying to make an extremely vertical machine. Never got anywhere near it!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

kliras posted:

definitely don't agree about them being inferior to the beasts in botw, though: still much better just on account of having distinct character, if nothing else
I don't think they're necessarily better, but I enjoyed the central mechanism of each one and wish it'd stay. Those gimmicks weren't amazing, but they led to dungeons having identities, and coupled with actual themes could be made into something more. As of now, with no gimmicks like that, 1/5 of the dungeon is just something like "make the gear turn just like you did in that one shrine" which seems silly.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Misko's cave of chests quest:

it says to feed a dog to get it to lead you to the treasure chest. I just gave the dog about 5 pieces of meat to follow me but as soon as I get near the cave it just walks away.

What am I doing wrong here?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dareon posted:

I've always felt like the Triforce of Courage is just what gives Link the determination to take any amount of ridiculous bullshit to the face and just keep on trucking.

I dunno, even back in Syward Sword and he was just some goob as far as the Hylia/Demise divine conflict was concerned he ran the dungeons and walked up to a demon god so rudely the latter was genuinely impressed. Nerve like that is WHY he's got the green piece, I think.

Frankston posted:

it says to feed a dog to get it to lead you to the treasure chest. I just gave the dog about 5 pieces of meat to follow me but as soon as I get near the cave it just walks away.

I just opened all the chests, it can't take any longer then figuring out a dog, and hey... free money. Those other treasure hunters such snobs they'll turn their noses up at a cool 30 ruppees? No wonder they always got empty hands.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 22, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Frankston posted:

Keep feeding the dog. It took me quite a bit of meat. It’ll start moving on its own when you trigger it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Keep feeding the dog. It took me quite a bit of meat. It’ll start moving on its own when you trigger it.

For gently caress sake this a greedy rear end dog in that case.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Caidin posted:

I just opened all the chests, it can't take any longer then figuring out a dog, and hey... free money. Those other treasure hunters such snobs they'll turn their noses up at a cool 30 ruppees? No wonder they always got empty hands.

Yeah I would have just done that but I wasn't sure if the actual chest wouldn't spawn until the dog digged it up or something.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Frankston posted:

Yeah I would have just done that but I wasn't sure if the actual chest wouldn't spawn until the dog digged it up or something.

Nah it's in there. Theres like 40 chests or something and a lot are buried in the floor/walls so you might not notice them without scanning with Ultra Hand but I found the right one in about 4 minutes or so?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only thing I want from the building system in this game is the ability to set devices to a secondary activation, set some emergency fans or rockets to go off when you need them instead of everything either being off or on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Frankston posted:

Yeah I’m not sure if dogs are bugged or not since I’ve never been able to get one to work. You don’t need the dog for that quest at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They're not bugged, they just take a hell of a lot of food. I think I spent like 10 apples and 3 meats or something ridiculous like that. You'll know you triggered them because they'll hop up excitedly once they're ready to lead you.