Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What about bee feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I made a bartender at an old job laugh really hard once by ringing in a Beefeater martini and typing in underneath it "more like queefeater amirite"

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Just did a direct compare of Citadelle and Beefeater and I like Citadelle slightly more. Citadelle is $2 more money at va abc prices. Looks like it's a bigger disparity other places.

Gin passion fruit highball is great. Passion fruit seltzer, passion fruit syrup, freezer cold gin. Simpler than a saturn. Feel like passion fruit has become a more popular flavor for selzter.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 15, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tonight I made a Toronto, as per the book Amaro by Brad Thomas Parsons:

2oz rye or Canadian whiskey (I used Lot 40 Canadian Rye)
1/4oz Fernet-Branca
1/4oz demerara syrup (the book calls for 1:1 and I have 2:1 so I used a bit less)
2 dashes Ango
Orange twist

It's incredible. The rye lets that little bit of Fernet really blossom into something special.

I'm gonna try it with a stronger rye (I have old Overholt Bonded which is 100 vs the lot 40's 86) but tbh this is close enough to an old-fashioned that a lower-proof is probably preferable.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 16, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The Toronto is a fantastic cocktail. Basically anything that's rye + amaro is good. That's why I drink so many Rynars - rye and cynar 50/50.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I like a Toronto quite a bit. Couple months ago I made a few Torontos but served them like sazeracs (down, in a frozen glass, with an absinthe rinse) and I think I like those even better than the original.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is the first one I found (the blanco) and I like it a lot. Got to grab the other ages.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ooh yeah, I knew that sounded familiar. I had the 99,000 Horas one (the big round bottle) and loved it.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Toronto is a fantastic cocktail. Basically anything that's rye + amaro is good. That's why I drink so many Rynars - rye and cynar 50/50.

Just made a Rynar. I like this rule, looking forward to trying a ryemaro nonino and a ryemaro di angostura

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Is Canadian rye all that different from American?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Booties posted:

Is Canadian rye all that different from American?

Yeah, significantly. Slightly oversimplified, American rye is bourbon but with the rye and corn ratios in the mashbill flipped (so at least half rye and also with stringent restrictions on aging, barrels, distillation proof, etc). Again oversimplified, but Canadian rye is any whiskey made in Canada, which may not have very much rye in it at all, or may have a lot, and may be aged and quality or may be blended and cheap.

There’s lots of variation but American rye is generally pretty close to bourbon in taste, and Canadian often ends up somewhere like an Irish whiskey to me.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Huh I never knew that. Thanks for the explanation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Continuing the Amaro streak I made a Alpine Sour:

1oz brandy (recipe calls for Asbach Uralt German brandy but I used Metaxa to get rid of it lol)
1oz orgeat
1oz lemon juice
1 bottle Underberg
Nutmeg garnish

:discourse:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
ooh, orgeat and Underberg sounds cool as hell

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'll make one of those tonight. Sounds awesome.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/zOtKvV6Co2I

I have that exact blender, that exact ice cream maker, and even those exact ice cream tubs. I think the universe is telling me to make boozy ice cream.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i've been pulling these from this book, which is also a pretty fun idle read:

https://www.amazon.com/Amaro-Spirited-Bittersweet-Liqueurs-Cocktails/dp/1607747480

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That zucca rabarbaro bottle in the cover is one of my favorite bottles to riff with. Try using it in place of Campari in a boulevardier for a nice brooding take, I especially love playing around with Smokey scotches in place of the bourbon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Liquor store near me has full shelves of Chartreuse and I keep thinking about buying another every time I pass. But I have three full bottles which should last me quite a while, not like I use a ton of it.

E: Trip reports. Vida mezcal is good, this is the first time I think I get what the appeal of mezcal is. Tastes like a campfire and lights up my Laphroiag centers.

Barrel aged Novo Fogo cachaça... not sure I'm into this. It's fine but it just tastes like bourbon, it doesn't have any cachaça-ness to it. Maybe I am a simpleton but if I wanted something to taste like bourbon I'd just get bourbon? Have to try the zebrawood one sometime. Like if it was a little bourbony AND had the grassy stuff from the unaged, I'd be down.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 19, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
i didn't know Novo Fogo even made a barrel aged expression. i'm not surprised to hear it kinda sucks. i keep seeing misguided producers throwing poo poo in bourbon barrels to entice bourbon drinkers, but as you said, why not just drink bourbon?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

prayer group posted:

i didn't know Novo Fogo even made a barrel aged expression. i'm not surprised to hear it kinda sucks. i keep seeing misguided producers throwing poo poo in bourbon barrels to entice bourbon drinkers, but as you said, why not just drink bourbon?

Good point, take that, Scotland :scotland:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I really like the unaged Novo Fogo so I bought the zebra wood one the other day. Haven’t really had a chance to try it yet but I’ll try to remember to make something with it this evening.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Anybody have experience processing a large amount of cherries (25-30 lbs)?

I did it a few years ago - pitted them all, infused a case of whiskey, pulled the cherries out and covered them in sugar to make a whiskey-cherry syrup. It was awesome, but I also don’t want to spend 10 hrs pitting cherries again.

I was thinking of skipping that step and just covering them in sugar to make a syrup. I hesitate to infuse liquor without pitting them because the pits might be poisonous at that quantity and in liquor? Anybody know?

Or would it be possible to freeze jack em? Freeze them, then let them thaw and drip their tasty juice out?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Anybody have experience processing a large amount of cherries (25-30 lbs)?

I did it a few years ago - pitted them all, infused a case of whiskey, pulled the cherries out and covered them in sugar to make a whiskey-cherry syrup. It was awesome, but I also don’t want to spend 10 hrs pitting cherries again.

I was thinking of skipping that step and just covering them in sugar to make a syrup. I hesitate to infuse liquor without pitting them because the pits might be poisonous at that quantity and in liquor? Anybody know?

Or would it be possible to freeze jack em? Freeze them, then let them thaw and drip their tasty juice out?

I don't want to inadvertently poison you, but brewers will ferment beer on top of cherries with the pits without issue. No idea if a higher abv liquor would have a different effect, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 19, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

Liquor store near me has full shelves of Chartreuse and I keep thinking about buying another every time I pass. But I have three full bottles which should last me quite a while, not like I use a ton of it.

But what about the thread?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Corb3t posted:

I don't want to inadvertently poison you, but brewers will ferment beer on top of pitted cherries without issue. No idea if a higher abv liquor would have a different effect, though.

The cocktail thread: I don't want to inadvertently poison you

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A local liquor store just started selling those smaller 100ml "vegetial" Charetreuse bitters for around ~$25. Tempted to pick one up for a sugar + perrier chartreuse spritzer.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Corb3t posted:

A local liquor store just started selling those smaller 100ml "vegetial" Charetreuse bitters for around ~$25. Tempted to pick one up for a sugar + perrier chartreuse spritzer.

It’s banging on oysters, also.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The lives of many hang upon the interpretation of “pitted” being “with pits” or “with pits removed”

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Data Graham posted:

The lives of many hang upon the interpretation of “pitted” being “with pits” or “with pits removed”

Here's a simple explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJdF8DJ70Dc

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For what it's worth, I find Brucato Chaparral a decent sub for Chartreuse. It's not perfect, but it is shockingly good, and if this shortage gets worse will be likely where I go.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I have my chartreuse earmarked for Rye Hummingbird Downs. I miss Last Words but Rye Hummingbird Downs are just as good, maybe better, and stretch it a lot further. Even before the shortage that poo poo was expensive

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I don't want to inadvertently poison you, but brewers will ferment beer on top of cherries with the pits without issue. No idea if a higher abv liquor would have a different effect, though.

I will do more research, and will ultimately play it safe

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I once made an award winning cherry scotch ale, and I used the pits and all. No poisoning resulted.

However, I have also made cherry cider, and if you're completely crushing the cherries you'll need to remove the pits. When crushed the pits will release more of the bad stuff, plus they will make things too bitter.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I have my chartreuse earmarked for Rye Hummingbird Downs. I miss Last Words but Rye Hummingbird Downs are just as good, maybe better, and stretch it a lot further. Even before the shortage that poo poo was expensive

This sounds awesome because I love Bees Knees and I love Rye and I love Chartreuse, so what could be better than a Bees Knees with Rye and Chartreuse.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

last night i made a rum old-fashioned with S&C, a bit of demerara syrup and a couple dashes of Tiki bitters and it was real real good y'all

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just made a Frangipani with the Frangelico I bought a couple months ago and that is a very strange but kind of nice cocktail? Holy gently caress Frangelico is delicious though I think I could drink it straight.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Try it in coffee.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Try it in coffee.

I have a cinnamon con crema tea from adagio that I add half an ounce of frangelico to. Tasty pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Frangelico and ginger ale with a lot of lemon wedges squeezed into it is great for summer