Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Woulda been better w/ some DVDA.

That's some hot poo poo right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know that he's a loving idiot susceptible to trends in general and I shouldn't read much into it, but wasn't Randy liberal at one point?

So I remembered reading this and I just got to Future Self n Me at the end of Season 6 where it's revealed the Marshes hired the "ultra liberal" corporation to lie about drugs.

I just found it odd because I've never met a liberal in my life who talks like this. Maybe I was too young in the 90s but such fearmongering about drugs is something I'd sooner associate with conservatives than any type of liberal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stone and Parker believe the straw version of liberals invented by the right wing in the 90s is a real thing. Mike Judge seems to as well, to a lesser extent.

What gets me the most is that liberals in America actually do loving suck, but not in any of those ways.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I remembered reading this and I just got to Future Self n Me at the end of Season 6 where it's revealed the Marshes hired the "ultra liberal" corporation to lie about drugs.

I just found it odd because I've never met a liberal in my life who talks like this. Maybe I was too young in the 90s but such fearmongering about drugs is something I'd sooner associate with conservatives than any type of liberal.

my favorite example of that is from the Sexual Harassment Panda episode in season 3

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Breadallelogram posted:

my favorite example of that is from the Sexual Harassment Panda episode in season 3

Man, all of the "Sexual Harassment lawsuits are out of control!" jokes from old tv shows back in the 90's hit a lot different after so much the stuff about people like Harvey Weinstein and Dan Schneider has come out and it was revealed that sexual harassment in the entertainment industry was so much worse and more horrible than most people realized and also a lot of it continues on to this day.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 9, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, all of the "Sexual Harassment lawsuits are out of control!" jokes from old tv shows back in the 90's hit a lot different after so much the stuff has come out about people like Harvey Weinstein and Dan Schneider it was revealed that sexual harassment in the entertainment industry was so much worse and more horrible than most people realized and also a lot of it continues on to this day.

Yeah, it was really bad. Even the Simpsons didn't avoid it, though thankfully the episode was just really drat funny and was more of a commentary on media frenzies in general. But it's easy to see someone getting the wrong message from it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, it was really bad. Even the Simpsons didn't avoid it, though thankfully the episode was just really drat funny and was more of a commentary on media frenzies in general. But it's easy to see someone getting the wrong message from it.

Yup. There was a long period of time where "What's the DEAL with sexual harassment? Eh?!" was considered comedy gold.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a bit of a weird question but is it supposed to be the case that Stan is the "main" character of the four? Or that he's the mot normal and reasonable?

I dunno, I guess I just always felt more affinity for Kyle. I'm not even sure why. At best I figured the two of them were the "only sane ones" in the town, at least for the most part. They definitely have their moments of stupidity or evil, at least early on.

Maybe I just like Kyle the most for all the times he screams and then immediately beats the poo poo out of Cartman. It's the only logical response to Eric Cartman, really.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a bit of a weird question but is it supposed to be the case that Stan is the "main" character of the four? Or that he's the mot normal and reasonable?

I dunno, I guess I just always felt more affinity for Kyle. I'm not even sure why. At best I figured the two of them were the "only sane ones" in the town, at least for the most part. They definitely have their moments of stupidity or evil, at least early on.

Maybe I just like Kyle the most for all the times he screams and then immediately beats the poo poo out of Cartman. It's the only logical response to Eric Cartman, really.

I don’t believe any of them are main characters o above the other (except Kenny). I think it feels this way because Stan’s been the plot driver for an enormous amount of new episodes. I’d say it’s like 70% because of the huge focus on Randy, and 30% because he’s the only one without a wacky character archetype.

Cartman is just evil, racist, and fat, Kyle is just Jewish and guilty/conflicted (which is also expressed as Jewishness in the show), but Stan waffles a lot. Stan gets a lot of deep, specific plot points. I assume it’s because he doesn’t have a shoehorned gimmick that they need to adhere to, so he gets all of the more human stories.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Stan and Kyle are Trey and Matt

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Stan is Trey. Kyle is Matt.

It's that simple.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Stan and Kyle were very much the voice of reason in the early seasons, but lately Stan is often portrayed as apathetic and depressed and they rarely use Kyle as a mouthpiece anymore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Stan and Kyle were very much the voice of reason in the early seasons, but lately Stan is often portrayed as apathetic and depressed and they rarely use Kyle as a mouthpiece anymore.

Yeah, I guess I should mention I'm only on Season 7. I dunno how far after this I kept watching SP but I def haven't seen anything in the last 13 years or so, probably longer.

I'm sure a lot has changed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I guess I should mention I'm only on Season 7. I dunno how far after this I kept watching SP but I def haven't seen anything in the last 13 years or so, probably longer.

I'm sure a lot has changed.

When you get to Cock Magic, stop. It will never be that good again and it quickly takes a nosedive.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, there's been several really good episodes since that. But I would skip season 20 completely (Member Berries).

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

NikkolasKing posted:

I think that was somewhat intended. He's sort of the leader of the four, and never had any notable quirks compared to the other three (except when he used to puke on Wendy). He never had any real dynamic with Cartman or Kenny, and was generally surrounded by his crazy family. Of course when you're the more grounded, sane one you'll end up getting overshadowed by the wackier characters like his dad.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Nah, there's been several really good episodes since that. But I would skip season 20 completely (Member Berries).

Man, season 20 I think is my favorite season of the last 10 years and the last time I really enjoyed South Park. Even though it didn’t end well. The focus on the the internet trolls destroying everything was timely and interesting. Even better watching it after Trump got elected and knowing the whole troll movement elected a troll president. Member berries being racist. It all gelled together well and a good interpretation of what was happening.

So much better than weed farms afterwards. You can almost skip everything afterwards

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I think Season 18 did it best. The episodes were still mostly self contained, but would throw little references in and some would lead into each other.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

some bust on that guy posted:

Man, season 20 I think is my favorite season of the last 10 years and the last time I really enjoyed South Park. Even though it didn’t end well. The focus on the the internet trolls destroying everything was timely and interesting. Even better watching it after Trump got elected and knowing the whole troll movement elected a troll president. Member berries being racist. It all gelled together well and a good interpretation of what was happening.

So much better than weed farms afterwards. You can almost skip everything afterwards

This is the first time I've seen someone speak positively about season 20. It definitely started out with a lot of potential. It felt like they got about 4 episodes in and had no idea how to fill out the rest of the season. Then they were caught off guard with Trump winning and the whole thing just spiraled completely out of control. A hard lesson that writing season-long arcs doesn't work if you don't plan it out in advance.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh whoops :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 18, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7unsGSGEA

The happiest ending. Go, Butters.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The real crime from the commentary on the season. They had / have an entire CDs worth of music for Faith +1, but never released it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiXGvCRbzE
Speaking of which, how did you get into SP when you were a wee lad/lass? We didn't even have Cable, my grandma got me VHSes at Blockbuster. The most 90s experience. She had no idea what it was, bless her.

I was a freshman in high school and remember seeing some promos for the show. Was super interested and marked my calendar, literally, so I didn't forget to watch. When I got to school the next day, the handful of us who actually watched it were in disbelief because it was so out there.

Although I'm surprised I didn't tune out forever once "BEEFCAAAAKE!" And "i want cheesy poofs!" became the new "Smmmmmooookin!" In the cultural zeitgeist. drat that was annoying.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Was somebody trying to find the episode where Cartman is going to apologize to Kyle and then gets cut off by the credits?

I randomly saw it recently in case that was someone in this thread. It was the Trapper Keeper episode, and Cartman was about to thank Kyle for saving his life.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Parker and Stone really hitched their wagon to the dead horse of being pro-smoking, huh. I had just dismissed the "filthy smoker" abuse hurled at the guy in the Museum of Tolerance bit as a one-off joke, but with the line about "second hand smoke lies" in My Future Self, and now this whole episode, it's really an ax they wanted to grind. Really, really read the culture wrong here. Also I grew up around smokers, smoking is fine by me, and gently caress anybody who was like "go ahead and kill yourself, tar-breath!!" - if such a strawman ever existed - but celebrating Big Tobacco? Nah, gently caress that.

Also going back to the favorites of the main four, Kenny's revival was entirely pointless. He's done absolutely nothing this entire season. I'm tempted to think they brought him back just so they wouldn't have to write lines like if Butters or Tweek were still the fourth boy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Parker and Stone really hitched their wagon to the dead horse of being pro-smoking, huh. I had just dismissed the "filthy smoker" abuse hurled at the guy in the Museum of Tolerance bit as a one-off joke, but with the line about "second hand smoke lies" in My Future Self, and now this whole episode, it's really an ax they wanted to grind. Really, really read the culture wrong here. Also I grew up around smokers, smoking is fine by me, and gently caress anybody who was like "go ahead and kill yourself, tar-breath!!" - if such a strawman ever existed - but celebrating Big Tobacco? Nah, gently caress that.

Also going back to the favorites of the main four, Kenny's revival was entirely pointless. He's done absolutely nothing this entire season. I'm tempted to think they brought him back just so they wouldn't have to write lines like if Butters or Tweek were still the fourth boy.

Eh, Kenny has such a minor role in the later seasons. I don’t even think he has a line or is acknowledged in like 60% of the episodes in last 5 seasons. But when they do utilize him, it’s loving fantastic. The pandemic special was a standout, as was the shopping district stuff.

I just think they thought it was funny to really kill him after pretending to kill him every single episode for years. Then they thought it was even funnier to act like it was permanent when they absolutely knew it was not.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They missed a joke in the pandemic episodes by not having the rest of the kids tell Kenny his mask muffled his voice so much they couldn't understand him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kenny is great, and he's great as Mysterion. They don't always use him, but it's good he's around because whenever they do think up something to do with him I always end up enjoying it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqvUGHO9JQ

I'm entering territory I don't remember at all. I might have seen eps here and here from this point on, we shall see, but I don't remember these first three eps of Season 8 at all. Also fart jokes normally do nothing for me but what an absolutely perfect ending to a perfect episode. I laughed so hard. It's just so unexpected and then the look on Eric's face as his "fuhrer" Daffy Ducks away.

But I do have to comment on something. I loved the episode with them getting ninja weapons and then Make Believing until Butters got really hurt. But what I wanted to comment on is finding that balance between an entirely zany and thus un-serious story and something more serious. The Simpsons would do this, you'd go from an episode which was entirely kooky and a joke to one which had real consequences and lessons. Sitcoms do this a lot, too, at least ones I like such as Frasier. Some episodes are entirely "logic be damned, this is funny" while others have legitimate and serious concerns and character development. Early South Park was always nonsense but since then it's kinda gotten more serious and because of that I felt actually bad for Butters with a goddamn ninja star in his eye wandering around in delirious agony all episode. And with things becoming a bit more serious, the ever present question of "why are they actually friends with wannabe Hitler" becomes more pressing, too.

But so far I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the last one.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They kind of question that themselves in season 9's Death of Eric Cartman. Although some pretty questionable censoring from the clip...

But also, have you seen what Cartman does to the people he doesn't like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSXakyGK2A

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toL1tXrLA1c

This season has been on fuckin' fire. Season 6 was one great ep after another but Season 7 kinda let me down in comparison. But now I'm back to crying of laughter each episode.

Why is derka der so drat funny. Somebody earlier explained why tree-fitty and the Loch Ness monster was a timeless joke.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Hey, is that fudge packer Tom Cruise?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KJ2U9YGwE

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toL1tXrLA1c

This season has been on fuckin' fire. Season 6 was one great ep after another but Season 7 kinda let me down in comparison. But now I'm back to crying of laughter each episode.

Why is derka der so drat funny. Somebody earlier explained why tree-fitty and the Loch Ness monster was a timeless joke.

Derka der is one of those things they could have run into the ground but I dont feel they did. When the rednecks have cropped up in recent episodes it's just got better and better

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like Casa Bonita is getting pretty close to opening but no exact date yet:
https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/ne...ation-colorado/

I had no idea it was a real place when I saw it in the show but not I'm really curious. Too bad it's in Colorado and not somewhere I'm more likely to be anytime soon.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Someone shared this with me today

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtSYom7PfKA

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like Casa Bonita is getting pretty close to opening but no exact date yet:
https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/ne...ation-colorado/

I had no idea it was a real place when I saw it in the show but not I'm really curious. Too bad it's in Colorado and not somewhere I'm more likely to be anytime soon.

Someone shared this with me today

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtSYom7PfKA

I went about 10-12 years ago, I have pictures somewhere. They actually did a pretty good job in the SP episode of capturing the atmosphere of the place. Unsurprisingly, the place itself was pretty run down but it was neat to see the cliff divers and all of that.

I’d be curious how high end the food at the renovated one will be with an executive chef and all of that, since the last one was basically cafeteria grade food.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems they are taking the business strategy from Cartmanland into the soft opening for Casa Bonita. Running a lottery for people on their Email list to get to come try out the new restaurant lol. P

retty crazy they put $40 million into reopening the place. I kind of imagine they stayed pretty hands on with it like they seem to do with their other projects in the past. Here's a short interview with very little information, naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5o2I1t5co

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why they spent $40 million on a previously failed restaurant? Because it was more fun than spending $40 million dollars helping people.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Why they spent $40 million on a previously failed restaurant? Because it was more fun than spending $40 million dollars helping people.

They restored a lot of jobs and likely created more than it required before. They also said they're definitely going to be operating it at a loss. Why try to spin this as a selfish move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't think it's off base to point out that extremely wealthy people doing things that might provide them with a handful of smiles before they get bored when they could feed a hell of a lot of people with 40 million dollars without charging them for it is a product of a failing system and perhaps a moral failing of said wealthy people.

Now, I'm not sure it fits in this instance, but it's not like it's out of bounds to say it.