Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cam-BpFCOLY

it's all about the Mentality. the guys weren't ready to play and that's My Fault. it's just about getting back to the Defensive Identity. we just have to be Better. on the bright side, Joe didn't even have a box score there to stare down at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress the Bulls for ever trading Jimmy Buckets

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Sixers blow

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol Horford wasn’t happy

https://streamable.com/165jws

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SourKraut posted:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

SourKraut posted:

This is like hating on the kid for Freeing Willy from the aquarium.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Nuggets Heat finals is full proof the basketball gods are real
They've answered all my prayers from that to wemby and both conference finals ending in sweeps is even better

It’s crazy right? For a minute there it was gonna be either boring rear end Warriors or Lakers and Celtics finals ahhh but now they all gonna be out and also maybe swept?

The NBA rules. I thought the writers were on strike!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm assuming there has never been a season where both conference finals end in a sweep right?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Red Rox posted:

I thought the writers were on strike!

exactly

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SourKraut posted:

It’s pretty great they had the true successor to MJ under their nose

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

SourKraut posted:

I still think about what if Philly kept him over Simmons

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

I still think about what if Philly kept him over Simmons

IIRC they decided on Harris over him right?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

anakha posted:

IIRC they decided on Harris over him right?

harris was the guy jimmy called out much later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6L3qmInqS0

iirc the actual decision making was more like "ben and the coach i hate over me???" and he was correct

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've really disliked how fast these playoffs have been, both the Lakers second and third round series went every other day. I, as a fan, could use a break of an extra day here or there. I know old rear end dudes like LeBron, Steph Curry, and Kevin Durant could use some rest. I feel like the playoffs used to have way more days off in there for practice time.

It's not super relevant in the current destruction by the Nuggets, but I feel like there haven't been a lot of extra days to practice and make adjustments and it's really hitting coaches hard, especially the young coaches

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 22, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

each series should play 2 games per day

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Dexo posted:

I think Tatum's top end talent is good enough, but he needs some sort of initiator next to him.

Tatum's role (offensively) should be like Kawhi offensive role on that Toronto team, where Lowry/Fred are mostly running the offense for the plebs, and then when needed Kawhi comes in and just loving does super hero poo poo off of them.

It seemed like for the 1st 4 months of the season Marcus Smart was point guarding pretty well, avoiding being Marcus Dumb. When he came back from his 3-4 weeks off from an ankle injury it was like he regressed to 2021.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The new CBA is going to crush the celtics before they even get a chance at a title. Joe Mazzula really hosed them over.

Brad Stevens should have unretired from coaching.

They honestly get 1 season with this group post jaylen brown supermax and then it's over. They have to trade away all their depth or they're locked in lead apron hell, with picks being shuffled to the back of the line, massive tax penalties, midlevel exceptions taken away, hellfire and brimstone is what I'm saying

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mazulla being a wet noodle shouldn’t be a huge surprise right? Didn’t Ainge have his pick of assistant coaches to poach and went with Hardy?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Celtics weren’t actually embarrassing last year. Now, their fans are completely deluded and talk themselves into believing the Celtics are an unstoppable team of destiny every time they win 42 games, so every single loss feels embarrassing because the Celtics are obviously and objectively favored to win. But if you ignore that, losing the Finals in six competitive games is not some catastrophic result.

This, however, is embarrassing as poo poo.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

The new CBA is going to crush the celtics before they even get a chance at a title. Joe Mazzula really hosed them over.

Brad Stevens should have unretired from coaching.

They honestly get 1 season with this group post jaylen brown supermax and then it's over. They have to trade away all their depth or they're locked in lead apron hell, with picks being shuffled to the back of the line, massive tax penalties, midlevel exceptions taken away, hellfire and brimstone is what I'm saying

how much of this is the CBA's fault and how much of it is brad stevens loading up for what he thought would be a dominant run and falling flat?

the celtics had a contending team and then traded for most of that depth you're talking about on deals they'd already been signed to, i'm not sure what else to expect

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
https://youtu.be/ciKdF97JWpU

There’s why Jimmy left

Tobias over Jimmy is dumb as gently caress if you want to win, maybe not if you want to save some money I guess??

But it wasn’t that anyway

BoonyPC fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 22, 2023

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
If Jimmy's three went in last year, then we're talking about this Celtics team having one of the most epic fourth quarter collapses in NBA playoff history.

This is just who they are.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

stuker posted:

how much of this is the CBA's fault and how much of it is brad stevens loading up for what he thought would be a dominant run and falling flat?

the celtics had a contending team and then traded for most of that depth you're talking about on deals they'd already been signed to, i'm not sure what else to expect

It's the new CBA. Teams will not be able to have two max players and still have enough depth to be competitive for more than one or maybe two seasons before getting turbofucked.

The only viable way to have two max players and depth over the long term will be if you are consistently nailing your draft and getting rookies who can immediately be part of a playoff rotation every year, and then aggressively trading them before their rookie contract expires and you need to pay them properly - i.e. the NFL model.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I feel kinda bad for all* the non tatum/brown celtics who would probably be fun to watch on a team that had any sort of offensive structure at all

Poor Al second-guessing his ring-chasing decisions every day

*except grant williams

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

It's the new CBA. Teams will not be able to have two max players and still have enough depth to be competitive for more than one or maybe two seasons before getting turbofucked.

The only viable way to have two max players and depth over the long term will be if you are consistently nailing your draft and getting rookies who can immediately be part of a playoff rotation every year, and then aggressively trading them before their rookie contract expires and you need to pay them properly - i.e. the NFL model.

This sounds like it's going to make for terrible basketball tbh. A massive overcorrection.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dexo posted:

The Celtics, for the past like 6 years, have had outcomes like this every single year. Across 3 coaches.

At some point it becomes insanity to keep rolling this squad out there expecting different outcomes.

The Curse of the Bambino lasted 86 years. :smuggo:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This sounds like it's going to make for terrible basketball tbh. A massive overcorrection.

The small market team owners have basically conspired to make the 'gently caress you Warriors, Clippers and Nets CBA'. The players don't care because BRI is the same 50/50 split and the pie keeps growing.

There will now be two tax aprons instead of one and they are effectively trying to make the second apron a hard cap in all but name, you'd need to be ludicrously confident of winning a title to want to go over it for consecutive years. Aside from the huge hike in tax penalties, which who really cares about it's just rich people money (and Balmers and Lacob don't care about anyway), the big changes are -

- Your first round draft pick seven years in advance is frozen and cannot be traded under any circumstances. That specific pick stays frozen until you are below the apron for three of the next four years. So e.g. it's 2024 and you are over the apron, your 2031 pick is frozen. You cannot trade that 2031 pick until 2028, providing you drop down under the tax apron for three of those four years. This potentially fucks you with Stepien rules of not being able to trade your pick in consecutive drafts. Say you traded your 2029 pick already - you can't trade 2030 and now you can't trade 2031 either because it's frozen. Your ability to make a multiple first rounder trade offer is massively reduced.

- If you stay over the apron the whole time (because you are insane) any frozen pick is automatically moved to the end of the round when that draft comes up

- Teams over the first apron cannot take back more money than they send out in a trade

- Teams over the second apron cannot even aggregate contracts in trades! So no trading a $15m player and an $8m player for a $20m player.

- The Taxpayer MLE has been made smaller relative to the normal MLE and teams over the second apron don't even get the Taxpayer MLE anymore.

- Taxpayer teams can't sign anyone who gets waived that had a contract more than the MLE (so for example, the Clippers wouldn't have been able to sign Westbrook on the buyout market this year)

End result is that if you do build a team with a couple of max guys and sprinkle in a $20m starter or two then are locked in - can't sign any FAs other than minimums, can't trade for anyone really, your draft picks are garbage. It basically means it's simply not feasible to go over the second apron maybe more than once and then duck out asap next season.

There's probably some other stuff I forgot, but generally the rest of the league has ganged up on the 'money is no object' owners who make them look bad.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 22, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

kalensc posted:

This is like hating on the kid for Freeing Willy from the aquarium.

Free Willy everyone remembers the freeing but forgets that they were trying to kill Willy for the insurance money via a very obvious blowtorch job.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What's so delightful about this is just that the Celtics are losing but how the Celtics are losing. It's like a moral refutation of their whole team.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Would it help if they added like 4 teams to the league and diluted out the talent?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm glad the Celtics and Lakers are both losing very badly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The New CBA is generally fine if you have 2 max level/near max level players. It becomes more of an issue when you get the third.

It's essentially set up where it becomes extremely harder to trade around max level contracts.

But if you like the celtics developed 2 dudes who are on max's you drafted you are likely fine.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cam-BpFCOLY

it's all about the Mentality. the guys weren't ready to play and that's My Fault. it's just about getting back to the Defensive Identity. we just have to be Better. on the bright side, Joe didn't even have a box score there to stare down at

thats how you know he’s a rookie, a real coach would have taken a dig at Brown

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I was hoping the 76ers could end the Celtics, but this is even better.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

The New CBA is generally fine if you have 2 max level/near max level players. It becomes more of an issue when you get the third.

It's essentially set up where it becomes extremely harder to trade around max level contracts.

But if you like the celtics developed 2 dudes who are on max's you drafted you are likely fine.

Celtics are going to be over the first apron next season if they bring back Grant Williams (probably over regardless, but 100% will be if they bring him back). Then in 2024 you have Brown's max kicking in - assuming they sign him to an extension this offseason - and they'll be over the second apron for sure. This all just with contracts already on the roster, not including signing anyone else. And then the 2025 summer you have Tatum's free agency when he opts out and he'll be on a max....

2025 is when White and Brogdon will be free agents and Horford comes off the books. It's just going to be really, really hard for them to replace the depth they are going to be shedding if they keep Brown and Tatum together on their max contracts.

The Bucks will be similarly hamstrung if they resign Middleton too - in fact they'll hit the second apron in 2024 so even quicker. But then if they don't resign Middleton this offseason they can't replace him anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Philly too will be over the second apron if they resign Harden very likely.

The key to winning in this new CBA is to draft two players who are All-NBA level before they hit their full max in year 8. Then you can build around them with older vets whilst your stars are salary controlled and underpaid. There's going to be a lot more churn of which teams are good and a closer gap between the top teams and the average teams, which is probably overall a good thing for the league even if the absolute quality of basketball the best teams play will be lower.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hardens legacy will be
Flops
Constant trades
Beard
???

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Upsidads posted:

Hardens legacy will be
Flops
Constant trades
Beard
???

Strippers/Strip Clubs
Weird outfits

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BWV posted:

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1660478728693256192?s=20

Have to appreciate someone who calls its like they see it.

Probably couldn't stop laughing during this one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
What weird phrasing, "blew them 128-102 out". His tweeting intern must have been hammered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

tanglewood1420 posted:

The key to winning in this new CBA is to draft two players who are All-NBA level before they hit their full max in year 8. Then you can build around them with older vets whilst your stars are salary controlled and underpaid.

Teams with two all NBA players on second contracts:
- Boston off by year with Brown All NBA
- Warriors with Steph and Klay
- Cavs probably 3/4 count with Love, and Kyrie in 2015.
- Spurs probably count if look at contracts but I think they technically missed by a year with Manu getting all nba in 2008.