Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not during the events of DS9, but Lower Decks and Picard show that Quark's has become a big time (presumably soulless) franchise imitating the original.

Original Quark's clearly became famous due to all the soldiers passing through in the Dominion War, in the same way that GIs brought tiki -bar culture and Hawaiian music back from the Pacific theater after WW2

Terrible stuff modern trek.

e: Cat tax
https://i.imgur.com/GGDPrHW.mp4

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is true that I cannot count the number of lives AI in healthcare will save.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol

https://twitter.com/blackxlist/status/1660590889129975813?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

Lower Decks and Strange New World are quite good. Everything else is to the contrary

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
There we go, sounds like a speech entirely written by AI!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there any stronger indication of an utterly mediocre thinker than somebody who knows nothing about AI but is convinced that it is going to be very helpful for things that it should be kept as far away from as possible?

Like if you staked him to the floor and forced him to answer simply "how" AI is going to do anything in the NHS I think he would spontaneously combust.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 22, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I like to think this is what happened in Star Trek, at least in the TNG era before it got all dark and depressing to fit our modern world. Nobody needs to work there, everybody does what they like. Some people join starfleet (some likely for the prestige and power, humans be humans), some become colonizers, some run a restaurant, some keep tending their families wineries.

It strikes me that I never saw a loving mall or shopping center in star trek. That's the indicator of a utopian future to me.

They don't even have money in the federation.

And yes I agree, trek used to be "look at the wonderful things humans can do when they put aside greed and petty differences". Now it's mostly a generic sci-fi action show with very little interesting to say.

The outcast aired 31 years ago.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think we should 3D print suicide prevention on the blockchain.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

OwlFancier posted:

Quarks is not wetherspoons.

then explain this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Orville is the superior Modern Star Trek Experience even with Seth MacFarlane front and centre

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Amazing how many people ascribe record numbers of people off sick and out the workforce to laziness as opposed to having just experienced a global pandemic with a virus known to have long term effects.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Amazing how many people ascribe record numbers of people off sick and out the workforce to laziness as opposed to having just experienced a global pandemic with a virus known to have long term effects.

Sounds just like what a lazy jobbing sod would say - get the pitchforks out!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The striver RNA replicase and the skiver immune system.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I got ill again in October 2016 and contract terminated in December 2016.

Getting a bit bored of it now.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

This is the actual case in favour of what is called idleness by Protestant Work Ethic freaks, you can learn new skills, create art

If you spend all your time off masturbating and watching Countdown and Pointless you almost definitely will end up depressed. But if you use even a small part of it learning a language or to play an instrument or go bagging Munros or whatever, reading the great works, or whatever the gently caress appeals. It's invigorating.

The problem is only the wealthy have the ability to truly engage in that freedom without the big axe of worrying about money dangling over their neck.

Just picking this post to reply to, but I'll probably ramble in response to loads in the last couple of pages:

I have had two periods of being (truly) gainfully unemployed - one where I had a redundancy payment and an inheritance to tide me over and then in the pandemic when I was lucky enough to qualify for SEISS. In the first case even the lack of pressing financial pressure to get a job to pay the bills was immensely liberating, and gave me the flexibility to be choosy and wait for (by various measures) a decent job to come along, rather than getting stuck in the 12-hour-rotating-shifts-in-a-factory-coz-it-pays-the-bills-now-I-have-no-time-and-energy-to-job-hunt-properly whirlpool.

And in both periods I did so much stuff that I'd wanted to do but never had the time to properly get into. Yes, there were days where I did nothing but flob in front of the telly, and I sunk a shitload of hours into getting good at HoI4 and leading the Cape Commune (commie South Africa) on an anti-colonialist campaign across Africa and then conquering London. But I also got the garden in a decent, productive and pretty state for the first time in the five years I'd lived in this place. I read a load of books I'd been collecting with good intentions, I got back into playing the piano. I replastered the bathroom ceiling. I tinkered on my cars. This all sounds like chores and work, but they were jobs I was choosing to do, at my own pace and that I enjoyed.

If I had some sort of stipend or passive income that equalled (or was just below) my actual wage, I still have a massive 'to do' and 'would like to do' list that would keep me gainfully and happily pottering around for years. Sure, in between bouts of joyous idleness, gaming, posting and napping. I've been lucky enough to (for a two-year spell) have a job that I genuinely looked forward to going to every morning. I'd do that again. I have skills and experiences I'd love to teach and share with people but which it's impossible to actually earn a basic living by doing so - I'd do that too.

Which brings me onto AI - my work is now in tedious, lowest-common-denominator, non-creative 'content generation' (commercial imperatives squashed any need or desire for actual high-quality written content and journalism out of this sector of publishing about a decade ago) so it's absolutely ripe for being replaced by AI. Already ChatGPT can turn out copy that is as at least no worse than what many of our human freelancers send in. It's so easy to see my team being cut in half and the remainder becoming proof-readers to AI, and then only until it gets good enough that it doesn't even need that. I do photography and image archiving as well - that'll go as soon as instead of having to find a subject and physically travel out to photograph it you can just ask an AI to generate a passable illustration. Yes, for both roles the skill remaining is being able to feed the AI the right prompts, fine-tune them and select the best outputs but (for my niche at least) the standards required are now so low that I genuinely suspect you could use something straight from ChatGPT as it now is and most of the readers wouldn't notice or care. A colleague of mine had to write an FAQ-style article at short notice as part of a sponsorship deal and he asked ChatGPT "what important things would people want to know about [product]" and it spat out some really good material.

The thing that's so frustrating and dispiriting is that instead of welcoming this technology that has the potential to eliminate the tedious, repetitive, unfulfilling drudgework that forms the majority of my workload I am fearful of it. It cannot benefit me in the long run - it might ease the workload initially, and I might be able to leverage some skill in operating it as a tool, but ultimately, as it develops, it will replace me. And I won't see a penny of the savings or productivity boosts that it will generate for my employer. I won't get paid more for being able to generate more (low-quality but acceptable) 'content' per day, and I won't be permitted to produce the same amount of content in less working time. And I certainly won't be able to stop working altogether, live off a share of society's wealth creation and live a fulfilling and self-actualised life, lying on the grass and being thankful for how progress has eliminated my need to work and hoping that as many jobs are similarly eliminated as soon as possible. "Job elimination" should be a utopian phrase, but it's the complete opposite.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ah, Captain Tom Myers

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cpt Tom comes back from the dead to take his revenge on the ukmt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

"Job elimination" should be a utopian phrase, but it's the complete opposite.
Reminds me of the 1901 census.

1.3 million 'in house' servants, mostly dishwashing, cutlery cleaning, sweeping, beating carpets
1.2 million agricultural, reapers, ditch diggers, seed planters
Half a million involved in the support of horses for transporting persons or goods
Over 200,000 washers, wringers, and dryers of clothing
Plus another 100,000 odd hand carters and porters

A huge chunk of the working population, all replaced by metal box that go brr

And yet in terms of actual prosperity, absolute poverty, child welfare, health outcomes, and satisfaction 99% of people are better off now than then.

It did take a couple of massive industrialized wars and the threat of Brezhnev's eyebrows too though, so that's not a utopian expression so much as a "what will it take for the fruits to be shared?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm looking forward seeing Suella Braverman keeping her job despite being found guilty of breaching the ministerial code for the 2nd time in 12 months. The inevitable outcome, because somehow despite the Tories having a majority of 50ish Sunak is a hilariously weak PM.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lower Decks and Prodigy are good. Discovery and Picard are not. Haven't seen Strange New Worlds yet, so it could tip the balance either way!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I'm looking forward seeing Suella Braverman keeping her job despite being found guilty of breaching the ministerial code for the 2nd time in 12 months. The inevitable outcome, because somehow despite the Tories having a majority of 50ish Sunak is a hilariously weak PM.

It's not really weakness. He wants small boats and net migration numbers to sit on her head, and to sink her career in the same way it did for Priti Patel. Home Secretary is a job you give to your political enemy, he won't sack her if he can possibly avoid it.

Of course that means the country gets an absolute psycho running half the most important bits of the state, but what does the national interest matter compared to winning internal Tory party fights.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Payndz posted:

Lower Decks and Prodigy are good. Discovery and Picard are not. Haven't seen Strange New Worlds yet, so it could tip the balance either way!

Honestly what little I've seen of Lower Decks has been a real turn off. I am also getting super tired of that style of animation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Payndz posted:

Season 3 of Picard is good

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

The Orville is the superior Modern Star Trek Experience even with Seth MacFarlane front and centre

Ed Mercer is a better Picard than Picard in Star Trek: Picard.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zeroisanumber posted:

Season 3 of Picard is good

Eh, it was entertaining enough, and leaps ahead of the previous awful seasons which I didn't really bother sticking with. But I would still class it as "bad" and even though it hits the fan service ridiculously hard its not recognisably Trek

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

It's not really weakness. He wants small boats and net migration numbers to sit on her head, and to sink her career in the same way it did for Priti Patel. Home Secretary is a job you give to your political enemy, he won't sack her if he can possibly avoid it.

Of course that means the country gets an absolute psycho running half the most important bits of the state, but what does the national interest matter compared to winning internal Tory party fights.

Pretty poor of the home secretary if you can't manage to dig up some dirt on your prime minister when their entire family are made up of immigrants.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

History Comes Inside! posted:

I wonder what’s going to happen when they automate all the jobs and then realise nobody has any money to buy the poo poo they’re trying to sell them because all the jobs got automated

Obviously they'll train AI to buy the poo poo. Got to keep the economy moving!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Honestly what little I've seen of Lower Decks has been a real turn off. I am also getting super tired of that style of animation.
I saw the first episode and hated it, it had that wacky adult animation comedy trait of everyone just casually being awful to each other which i find exhausting at this point.

Apparently it gets much better over time but i don't know.

With picard season 3 it seems like people who hate watched the first 2 seasons are saying its good now, but the only reason i can glean that they like it now is thst they turned the fan service dial all the way up. Seeing RLM tweet about how cool it is they brought back the crashed disk section from the enterprise D and watching them clap like seals is really funny tho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A few days ago a friend was driving me home and said they think Welsh should be taken off road signs because people that can't speak Welsh will take too long looking for the English on the sign and that could cause a crash. I stated that it's pretty easy for the English to be seen and besides what is Welsh culture supposed to do just disappear because some foreigners (she's Australian) can't read Welsh? I did think but stopped short of saying "trying to destroy an indigenous culture, how very Australian of you."

I guess it pissed me off more than I thought it did because I spent quite a bit of the weekend thinking about it. Sorry just to vent like this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should definitely have said that, never miss an opportunity to gently caress up someone's brain if you think you have a chance.

From the brief time I spent in Scotland honestly I think the net effect of living there would be that I just end up learning all the gaelic names for everything as well and both function as identifiers of the place.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

You should definitely have said that, never miss an opportunity to gently caress up someone's brain if you think you have a chance.

While they're driving you home? Bet you wouldn't

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Phillby posted:

I saw the first episode and hated it, it had that wacky adult animation comedy trait of everyone just casually being awful to each other which i find exhausting at this point.

It starts fairly poor but improves quickly. It might just not work at all for many people though, there's still bits that I find myself eye-rolling

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely do not know if I would think that far ahead, the instinct to verbally murder is just too strong.

Also I'm the one who gets to drive people home cos I'm the sober one :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I took the Promenade being there as being partially for non-federation cultures to trade with each other and also get money from the federation stipend or whatever. It's a federation and bajoran station after all and Bajor does have money afaik. There are many stores there except Quarks and Garak's front operation, there is a bajoran person selling random trinkets and the klingon guy selling Gagh. And that brief gambling joint that turned everyone insane. A bustling metropolis except when the jem hadar are attacking or everyone has lost the ability to process language from a virus or whatever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like seeing the Welsh signs whenever I go over the bridge, it’s like going on holiday except I can actually afford it more than once every few years.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I drove into Wales once, was on a motorway and the overhead signs put the speed limit at 20 (despite little traffic) accompanied by a message in Welsh. Only a few miles later did another overhead sign provide an English translation, saying that somebody was driving against the flow of traffic. I admit I would have appreciated an earlier heads up about that in English

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bessantj posted:

A few days ago a friend was driving me home and said they think Welsh should be taken off road signs because people that can't speak Welsh will take too long looking for the English on the sign and that could cause a crash. I stated that it's pretty easy for the English to be seen and besides what is Welsh culture supposed to do just disappear because some foreigners (she's Australian) can't read Welsh? I did think but stopped short of saying "trying to destroy an indigenous culture, how very Australian of you."

I guess it pissed me off more than I thought it did because I spent quite a bit of the weekend thinking about it. Sorry just to vent like this.

You should let them know that in the UK, only Welsh has official language status. So if anything should be on those signs, it should be Welsh.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely do not know if I would think that far ahead, the instinct to verbally murder is just too strong.

Also I'm the one who gets to drive people home cos I'm the sober one :v:

This is like when my German friend mentioned she didn't like The Sound Of Music, and I immediately asked "Is it cause you didn't know which side to root for?".

She's a nice lady, I still feel a little bad about that years later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is like when my German friend mentioned she didn't like The Sound Of Music, and I immediately asked "Is it cause you didn't know which side to root for?".

She's a nice lady, I still feel a little bad about that years later.

Come on, man, even I have more tact than that. And I'm the one who, when a friend informed us that his wife was expecting, said "congratulations, who's the father?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah I get enough of that on the internet