Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bandire posted:

I enjoy giving Astros and Yankees fans poo poo as much as the next guy, but cheating in baseball has been romanticized for as long as the sport has existed. It's just part of the game. In the immortal words of Dan Gutman, it ain't cheating if you don't get caught (in the act.)
we should definitely relitigate this in this thread again so I can get another avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
N: the cardinals have won 10 of their last 13. The cardinals are no longer in last place in the division.

V: Formally requesting the next GDT thread be subtitled Somehow, Satan Returned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Paying for someone else’s avatar is the funniest possible self-own so I fully support more of it

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think I have bought an avatar for intruder once. It was Tom Brady holding the Texans mascot in a crib wearing a diaper. I just thought it was funny, I wasn’t trying to own him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I vaguely remember that and it was great I held onto it for awhile

Was that a TB Times thing?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 21, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
nobody pay to change my avatar to christopher morel I would be extremely angry and upset

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

nobody pay to change my avatar to christopher morel I would be extremely angry and upset

I'm pretty sure I made the gif in your av

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/GonsolinRBW/status/1660146906511597568

:getin:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Fraud Cy Young winner

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao, that owns

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I don't know a lot about NPB but it seems pretty rare for a failed MLB player to go over there and get sent to the minor leagues, no? Maybe its common and I've just never heard of it happening because I usually only hear about the ones that go over and do well, or revive their career and come back to MLB

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure I made the gif in your av

You did, I'm keeping it because Hendricks is still a Cub and Baez still owns.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Is this where I make a sword chopping motion??

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol owned

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I don't know a lot about NPB but it seems pretty rare for a failed MLB player to go over there and get sent to the minor leagues, no? Maybe its common and I've just never heard of it happening because I usually only hear about the ones that go over and do well, or revive their career and come back to MLB

I know dick all either but have also never heard of it. I'm sure it happens to scrubs but for someone of Bauer's status so recently that seems wild.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bauer's agent is in the comments claiming he wasn't demoted, his start was rained out so he chose to pitch a minor league game.

uh huh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Bauer's agent is in the comments claiming he wasn't demoted, his start was rained out so he chose to pitch a minor league game.

uh huh

that's his agent???

https://twitter.com/GonsolinRBW/status/1660368096798945280

:lol::lol::lol:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Lol

Sadly the truth is he was not officially demoted. They kept him on the team's active roster. He had pretty good start after that HR. Only 1 earned and 9 k in 6 innings.

It was always a tune up/keep warm start and he was always going to pitch his next start for Yokohama regardlessof what happened.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Intruder posted:

I vaguely remember that and it was great I held onto it for awhile

Was that a TB Times thing?

Lol. Yeah. Tom Brady ruled

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidrifkin/status/1660040912712417285?s=46&t=OkIHxp3du4acsr1oGWXRXg

Attn Cashman: I am even worse than Josh Donaldson and can be paid to stay away at very competitive rates.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1660287750690701312

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2015 NL Central sends its regards

I can't believe that the Cubs still have the best run differential in the NL Central and that the Brewers are in first place with a negative run differential. Cubs and Cardinals are both the unluckiest teams in baseball with a -5 game difference between their pythag and actual records.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
two further notes: the NL East weirdness is entirely the Marlins outperforming their Pythag by 7 games thus far (winning record, -54 run differential)

also I dunno what RPI in baseball is but the AL East is 5 of the top 6

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I knew Marcus Semien was having a good year but I did not expect him to be leading the majors in WAR :stare:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Christopher "Tungsten Bat" O'Morel

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This is apropos of nothing but I've just discovered the championship-WPA list on Stathead and this is a wonderful trip down memory lane

Francisco loving Cabrera!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mdemone posted:

This is apropos of nothing but I've just discovered the championship-WPA list on Stathead and this is a wonderful trip down memory lane

Francisco loving Cabrera!

2016 World Series Game 7 WPA:

Rajai Davis: 0.346
Ben Zobrist: 0.233
Corey Kluber: -0.209
Aroldis Chapman: -0.290
Bryan Shaw: -0.303

I'm pretty sure that Rajai Davis homer was one of the highest WPA swings of all time

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

N: the cardinals have won 10 of their last 13. The cardinals are no longer in last place in the division.

V: Formally requesting the next GDT thread be subtitled Somehow, Satan Returned.

as you wish

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Every team but one in the AL West has a positive run diff. Its hard to overcome having a little league roster in your division.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure that Rajai Davis homer was one of the highest WPA swings of all time

Doesn't crack the top 20 for playoff games - Yordan last year would be at the top of this list.

https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1579976548475875329/photo/1

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Walkoffs/go aheads while down in the 9th are naturally going to have the highest WPA

Yordan's walkoff was .910 WPA, he had a 1.054 WPA for the game

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

Walkoffs/go aheads while down in the 9th are naturally going to have the highest WPA

Highest cWPA in history is Hal Smith for the 1960 Pirates, his solo homer tied the game for Mazeroski to hit the go-ahead in the 9th

cWPA for that Smith homer was 63.62%

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rajai Davis' homer added 39.04% to the chance to win a championship, making it the 4th-highest cWPA of all-time.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Popete posted:

Someone who isn't donkey brained, how do you make a gangtag so we can show everyone we're Morel's Merverts while still retaining our cool and good and definitely not because I used an autoban tag creating a thread despite being on the forums 22 years and it says 'dont use these' avs?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Yordan's walkoff was .910 WPA, he had a 1.054 WPA for the game

LIterally the clutchest hit in baseball history.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Doesn't crack the top 20 for playoff games - Yordan last year would be at the top of this list.

https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1579976548475875329/photo/1
lmao five Dodger pitchers on that list, truly the best team at losing in October

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
*cries in 2011* freese... was.... not clutch?!?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gentlemen these are dumber than we could've ever imagined

https://twitter.com/Orioles/status/1660639548005658626

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Tayter Swift posted:

*also cries in 2011* no because that was a goddamn routine fly ball!