Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1660665662250041347

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does this mean a fat Texan Chud is gonna go fight for Ukraine in Belgorod

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I wonder if this changes the math in regards to the decision defectors make?

Surrending to Ukrainian forces might be better than getting drone fragged, but deserting to join up with Russian separatists to fight the leaders that threw you into the meat grinder might be more satisfying.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/CarloMasala1/status/1660664868695953413?s=20

"Russia has legitimate security interests in the conflict around Belgorod. The westward expansion of the Russian Federation left them no choice. Moscow needs to face their own responsibility for this escalation. It is important to keep a cool head now."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

They've done quite a bit of damage already it seems. 1 Mi-8 full of natty guard shot down, reportedly a Hind too, they burned an ammo dump, and Russia denazified one of their own bridges out of fear. Even this can be counted as a resounding success, if they pull back right this minute.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

tiaz posted:

Specifically I was alluding to how he wrote Walden, a treatise about how ennobling and virtuous it is to live in the Wild, Unfettered by yon Corruptive Trappings of Modernity, while his mother (and sister? idr) did his laundry and brought him food. It seemed like a closer analogy before.

I used to live nearby Walden Pond. Its fun when people visit and realize its nowhere near the deep wilderness they were expecting. You can walk to downtown and back in a few hours no problem.

*train full of commuters rumbles past* "Its bit of a shame they put a passenger train line right next to the original site of his cabin."

"that was there when he was here lol."

Nice pond though.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Obviously we have no idea what the gently caress is going on at the moment, but things like this make me feel it HAS to be a feint. Fake Referendum forms like this are just too perfect for the irony and attention grabbing threats to Russia's territorial integrity.

They want to spook local civilians and provoke the Russians into a hasty redeployment of forces to Belgorod to stop the 'offensive', and avoid looking weak and stupid.

This makes the most sense to me, especially taken alongside the commentary from Girkin and others that we've seen, suggesting the Russians don't have many reserves left post-Bakhhmut, and a lot of units in the Donbass are exhausted. A panicked redeployment could thin out their lines elsewhere and create opportunities for another Kharkiv.

Even if nothing comes of it, they make the Russian army look dumb, unprepared, and unable to repel a bunch of rebels from crossing the border.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

fatherboxx posted:

It is an incorrect translation, Отдельная Десантно-Штурмовая Бригада is Separate Paratrooper Storm Brigade

(I dont think they have many opportunities for parachute drops but more badass words make them feel important probably)

Thanks for the correction.

Also, thank you generally for your posting here - it provides a perspective of Russia that is valuable, imho.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I wouldn't assume that's a real picture by Twitter user Maks_NAFO_FELLA.

It is funny though.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This is from telegram, so take it with a grain of salt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

That is total nonsense imo

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

zone posted:

That's ridiculous.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

That is total nonsense imo

Same. It's just there to rile up people. The motivation [edit: for the attack on Belgorod] is clearly to serve as a distraction with an added bonus of a "spark of revolution" lotto ticket if it's successful.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tigey posted:

Obviously we have no idea what the gently caress is going on at the moment, but things like this make me feel it HAS to be a feint. Fake Referendum forms like this are just too perfect for the irony and attention grabbing threats to Russia's territorial integrity.

They want to spook local civilians and provoke the Russians into a hasty redeployment of forces to Belgorod to stop the 'offensive', and avoid looking weak and stupid.

This makes the most sense to me, especially taken alongside the commentary from Girkin and others that we've seen, suggesting the Russians don't have many reserves left post-Bakhhmut, and a lot of units in the Donbass are exhausted. A panicked redeployment could thin out their lines elsewhere and create opportunities for another Kharkiv.

Even if nothing comes of it, they make the Russian army look dumb, unprepared, and unable to repel a bunch of rebels from crossing the border.

If even half of the stuff told today is true, then yes this is a massive personalized "gently caress you" to Putin and a way to cause disarray in the Russian front.

An Ukraine-backed insurgency in a place where Putin's mob simply cannot just ignore it, forcing them to hastily commit troops and redeploy units all around the front. And blow their own bridges and stuff to stop the enemy from just walking into Belgorod since the troops defending the front just ran away, when they thought that Ukrainian army is coming over the border.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 22, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russian TV tonight - See!! We told you NATO wanted to invade. 3 Battalions have invaded Russia!!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1660665054071599104

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Moscow in 3 days, fellas.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

They've done quite a bit of damage already it seems. 1 Mi-8 full of natty guard shot down, reportedly a Hind too, they burned an ammo dump, and Russia denazified one of their own bridges out of fear. Even this can be counted as a resounding success, if they pull back right this minute.

Confusion to the enemy! :cheerdoge:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1660672128734097410?s=20

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A lot of people in this thread are running ahead of the locomotive and throwing hats, I comment from my scooby-doo van racing for safety out Belgorad, and I urge cooler heads to prevail, as I leave a trail of rubles and dollars flying out my van windows like confetti.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

If people don't mind me speculating:

While the motive is obviously as a distraction, how likely do you guys think that if these insurgents prevail against Russian assault, that it could spark a larger civil war?

It does seem to prove that beating the establishment is possible. (I know, with Ukrainian help in reality, but I just wonder how it looks to the average disgruntled person in Russia)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Why is Russia escalating this situation

Don’t they know that war bad?

Have they not considered peace talks with this Freedom of Russia Legion?

Why is putin not meeting with Lula Da Silva on this matter

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Keisari posted:

While the motive is obviously as a distraction, how likely do you guys think that if these insurgents prevail against Russian assault, that it could spark a larger civil war?

Nah, too many (assault geared) Police tbh for that to happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The people of Belgorod have spoken, Mr. Biden, sir, please send in the peace keepers

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Keisari posted:

It does seem to prove that beating the establishment is possible. (I know, with Ukrainian help in reality, but I just wonder how it looks to the average disgruntled person in Russia)

I don't think anyone knows.
Russia was SUPPOSED to crush Ukraine. That's a hilarious joke now but at the time everyone knew Ukraine was going to lose, and everyone knew Russia was scary and powerful. Now we all know that wasn't exactly true and we were all fooled into thinking that just matter-of-factly.
This unprecedented, never-would-happen stuff that is actually happening has us in unpredictable waters.
Maybe Russia is the new sick man of Europe :v:

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1660663297706696704

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mexican troops are setting up a separatist republic in San Diego while Warlord Guy Fieri got the remnants of the US army stuck in the ruins of Chihuahua

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 22, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

As if prigozhin was half as accomplished as flavortown

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Keisari posted:

Very unlikely, Putin spent last 2 decades cementing power of his regime and internal security forces are still largely intact.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Keisari posted:

I wanna laugh at the idea of a larger civil war but I’ve been wrong about everything Russia the past year or two so who the gently caress knows.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Belgorod peoples republic lol

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1660671304083599363

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1660674855585316865
errrrr...

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Guys, that's WORSE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Russia to establish No Fly Zone over Russia

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol: Putis is a real piece of poo poo!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/liz_cookman/status/1660645902359437315

https://twitter.com/liz_cookman/status/1660645908776665092

https://twitter.com/liz_cookman/status/1660645913746972674

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Look at those pictures they look like they're made of Styrofoam.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I can’t believe the NATO CIA would do this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:allears: