Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Popoto posted:

lmao: was just playing TotK in front of SO, to get a quick check on the game before having to leave the house.

SO: “wow this game is gorgeous, I wouldn’t mind watching you play this tonight while you game!”
Something they’ve never said ever. Kudos on whoever commented on the back-seating potential of this game lol

Also i think I’ll go for Mario Kart. It’s not the end of the world since i know ill eventually get the others i want like Link’s awakening or smash or that Mario one, just we’ll pace ourselves and start with those ones first.

Just one more question then: is mario kart playable with just one half of the controller? As in: does the controller divide in two for local play or do you need a set of the two handles per controller? The division of the thing confuses my pea brain

E: and yeah TotK is gorgeous as F, whoever’s complaining it’s ugly needs to have their eyes checked.

Hell yeah! You can definitely play two player MK with each person having one of the joy cons :dance:

I thiiiiink it's a mandate that every game needs to have this capability, although some of them are understandably super weird. Kart should be fine though. And like, odyssey also has a two player mode you could do the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dragon Quest XI has like a 15-hour demo so you can check that out even if you don't burn a voucher on it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh yeah, no reason to not go hog wild with demos. Kirby has one that's pretty good to see if you like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So... for those of you who've completed the game, or well advanced with Main Quest stuff in TotK, I need a small hint because something needs doing and I'm feeling like an idiot.

I ended up in the Wind Temple by "accident". Well, I managed to get to the island chain that leads to it and while it gave me massive "plot" feelings, who can say no to a rising swirl of sky-boats?
So I ended up in the wind temple, but 1) I can't get out (without teleporting which I'm being hard-headed about avoiding so I'd rather just beat it.

can’t you just jump off?

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 22, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Augus posted:

can’t you just jump off?

It's this one op

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Popoto posted:

i liked mario 64 and galaxy quite a lot, but again, decade+ ago

being an adult with adult hours means i prob already know TotK (already redeemed) will take all my time. debating getting an MP game to play with SO and in-laws... but not sure too since they barely game at all (one plays tetris and spyro on her lite every two months and it makes her proud that she's a gamer). are the new mario kart and smash bros good? I'm sort of afraid that nowadays they would be filled with a thousand DLC unlockables crap

e: so far, for 2nd voucher:
debating between
Dragon Quest XI
Metroid Dread
Mario Odyssey
Link's Awakening remake

MP maybe games:
Mario Kart
Smash Bros

e2: i loving hate having to choose things like this, thus why I'm appealing to goons knowledge. this is so frustrating hahaha. still, thank you all
e3: i'm really not sure for any Multiplayer game because: A) need more controllers and B) 80$ to play ten times a year is a bit ugh :/

You can't go wrong with Mario Kart on the Switch, even if you're playing it on your own. Dragon Quest XI is a good RPG too but MK8 is the better pick out of your list. MK8 is extremely fun and sold something like 54 million copies on the Switch.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

can’t you just jump off?

Maybe I’m jumping off the wrong area but you just get swallowed by the storm and respawn.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Maybe I’m jumping off the wrong area but you just get swallowed by the storm and respawn.

Lol, drat. I wonder if you can build a contraption that takes you up?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Popoto posted:

Just one more question then: is mario kart playable with just one half of the controller? As in: does the controller divide in two for local play or do you need a set of the two handles per controller? The division of the thing confuses my pea brain

Yeah, in addition to all the other things going for it, Mario Kart is pretty much the proof of concept for the Switch itself. It's an out of box multiplayer experience that's really easy to set up and get going with.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

External Organs posted:

yes but it's part of the puzzles in the area you need your sidekick for. although i dont think you can get out that way anyway

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Speaking of rewards for dungeons: I just found a fourth sage orb and I'm thinking of giving it to tulin. I love him mercing dudes out of nowhere with his bow, super useful. I guess giving him the blessing just makes him do more damage? Or does it change the cooldown of his ability. I haven't unlocked other sages yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In TOTK, you know those diving challenges?
I did one super early and then kinda forgot about them.

Yesterday I saw a massive vertical structure and figured I could probably get to the top of it.
Well, 30 minutes, two rockets and a smattering of Ascend I did it. Activated the challenge and beat it.
The Zonai attendant was like, 'Oh, you activated the challenge yourself... neat!"

Normally you meet them MUCH lower to the ground and they teleport you to the starting line :negative:

Edit AH gently caress I was scrolling my feed and got a very cool, new armor set spoiled for me. UGH.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

More annoying I lost a bunch of charges to that activity because I didn’t know how to accelerate. Once I figured that out no problem.

External Organs posted:

Maybe but I don’t want to burn through all my zonai capsules and few charges just for that. Especially since I’m merely ok at constructing these things. Most of my machines don’t go or last very long. I’m ok with teleporting to the nearest shrine. It’s cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now that a new Zelda game is out, when are we going to get a sequel to Mario Odyssey?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
loving crazy that Metroid Prime, Advance Wars and TotK have all released since February

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I went up in a hot air balloon with an NPC without having the glider yet. Not ideal to be stuck up there, but fortunately there was a river in the general vicinity that I could just barely dive into :D

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

beer gas canister posted:

loving crazy that Metroid Prime, Advance Wars and TotK have all released since February

Bayonetta Origins erasure!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Argue posted:

it does start to get repetitive as the variety starts to dwindle.

I've only done a handful of shrines (11 hearts and one extra stamina ring) but I'm really getting bored with the half life 2 era physics puzzles

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Alright. Gonna go for Mario Kart. Just bought a second set of controller. This should be pleasant.

Thanks all.

Can’t wait to play dressup with Link. My favorite part of games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

beer gas canister posted:

Fire Emblem Engage is legitimately good and has been thoroughly erased from history.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fire Emblem Engage is really good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

External Organs posted:

Speaking of rewards for dungeons: I just found a fourth sage orb and I'm thinking of giving it to tulin. I love him mercing dudes out of nowhere with his bow, super useful. I guess giving him the blessing just makes him do more damage? Or does it change the cooldown of his ability. I haven't unlocked other sages yet.

Just damage for each of the sages. I went Tulin first too since he seems the most consistent at hitting things and not just running around slashing at nothing.

I would say the fumbling with sages is what takes this game down from a 12 out of ten to an eleven out of ten.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

More annoying I lost a bunch of charges to that activity because I didn’t know how to accelerate. Once I figured that out no problem.

Maybe but I don’t want to burn through all my zonai capsules and few charges just for that. Especially since I’m merely ok at constructing these things. Most of my machines don’t go or last very long. I’m ok with teleporting to the nearest shrine. It’s cool.

Anytime you see a bubble machine make sure to dump in a shitload of Zonai charges. 30 or 40, with the big charges counting as 5 of the smaller ones. Once you're rolling around with 30+ of each Zonai device, or 99 of the crap ones you accumulate, it feels a lot better to plop them out at a whim with no regard for "resources" lost.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

External Organs posted:

I gave them to him day one. I think his cooldown gets reduced too, and it's really useful when gliding.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Anytime you see a bubble machine make sure to dump in a shitload of Zonai charges. 30 or 40, with the big charges counting as 5 of the smaller ones. Once you're rolling around with 30+ of each Zonai device, or 99 of the crap ones you accumulate, it feels a lot better to plop them out at a whim with no regard for "resources" lost.

I definitely did that at first and used a bunch of devices, but I get cautious at less than 10 which is where I'm at. I haven't gotten more Zonai charges since my initial glut from the beginning. I guess you're supposed to trade ore for it underground? But that's just it... I didn't have a lot of ore at the time and definitely not the knowledge that's how I should've done it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Naw, ore is mostly for autobuild or if you want to beef up battery power with extra resources or don't want/know to explore more underground. Yigi camps have at least 20 crystalized charges (1/5 of a battery upgrade), Kohga encounters more, and many of the boss encounters underground have 100 crystalized charge rewards. Zonai charges you just get anytime you fight a robot, and there's one inside every dead robot ruin laying around zonai areas and ruins. Large Zonai charges are rarer, usually chest or bonus shrine chest rewards. I never went out of my way for zonai charges, but just from shrines and exploring and fights I rarely went below 100 stock, usually went to 100 because that's when I'd dump 30-40 into bubblegum futures just to keep stock from looking silly. Little charges are basically useless outside of machines. The big ones have some niche use early on with low-battery trying to do big-battery-Link things (and without using actual big or small battery devices) but I have been floating around 10 of them all game, pouring excess into bubble machines when I cross them. Even holding onto ten is a bit much, I can count the number of times I've actually used a large zonai charges for extra needed juice on two fingers.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
What am I doing wrong in ToTK where I'm under leveled for literally anything? Oh I keep dying here guess I'll go explore, oh I keep dying there too guess I'll go explore, rinse repeat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

What am I doing wrong in ToTK where I'm under leveled for literally anything? Oh I keep dying here guess I'll go explore, oh I keep dying there too guess I'll go explore, rinse repeat.

The trick is to upgrade your armor, and avoid fights when you can. Most are unnecessary.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Merkinman posted:

Cook food. The enemies definitely seem a lot stronger overall than in BOTW, and the game expects you to use all the different systems provided to get by.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Khanstant posted:

I can't bring myself to do this constantly though since I'm always trying to save up charges to expand my battery capacity. And once I discovered that one upgrade only gives you one third of a battery, and there are eight batteries, I realized I'm going to be doing this pretty much through the rest of the game :sigh:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The Merkinman posted:

the key, and this was true of BotW too, is that you almost never actually need to fight things

you can just avoid enemies, climb over them, ride or fly past them, run away if they aggro, and so on. seek them out if it's advantageous, or don't. and headshot everything if you can, even if you plan to run by them

I haven't cashed in any orbs yet as a sort of 'challenge; and it hasn't been a problem

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I was avoiding fights, but then I thought that was bad because how else would I get arrows/better weapons?

I guess my initial instinct was right regarding fighting, and I'll just look for shrines and upgrade whatever armor I can get.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

404notfound posted:

I can't bring myself to do this constantly though since I'm always trying to save up charges to expand my battery capacity. And once I discovered that one upgrade only gives you one third of a battery, and there are eight batteries, I realized I'm going to be doing this pretty much through the rest of the game :sigh:

The charges you use in the capsules and the crystalized charges you use for upgrading your battery are different, you can't trade one for the other (although you can buy both with ore).

I've been dumping most of my ore into crystalized charges for upgrading batteries, and I still have plenty of charges from killing robots/searching old robots/shrine chests to use all the capsule machines I see a few times.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Avoiding fights is fail, especially in this game where the elite monster parts are some of the most powerful weapon fuses and it auto saves every 6 seconds. Fight them head on like a true warrior.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

avoiding fights in ToTK is a bad idea, they shower you with goodies for killing enemies
there seems to be a lot of overlap between the “avoid fights they aren’t worth the resources” camp and the “jfc why am I always so low on resources in this game” camp

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

404notfound posted:

Pretty sure the game has enough laying around in chests to get the full double battery. I think I only bought like 200-300 crystalized charges from zonaite very early on when I didn't have autobuild to spend the zonaite on instead, and I have nearly full battery but honestly, once you get to like 4 batteries power basically stops being an issue for all but the most intense contraptions and those are usually just goofs and giggle things.

And in any case, I don't think zonaite charges can be exchanged for the crystalized charges anyway, just zonaite, which is an absurdly easy resource to get hundreds of just walking around, and if you go out of your way for can't imagine how much you'd end up with.

There's only so much a game can do to save gamers from themselves as it were, I felt this game really rewarded me for trying to break some of my bad open world game habits, particularly hoarding resources. At no point was I ever punished for having fun earlier, choosing not to do something fun, cool, or just following a whim out of the abstract fear that you may "need" that thing or resource later on isn't an attitude I think most devs want to fist, certainly not these.

Which makes sense, the behaviour is counter productive to the gameplay and having a good time and it's also a problem that may never end. I've been on final bosses of games, having done 100% of everything, gotten all the shits and powers and tools and weapons, and yet in the last moments I play the game I would still use items as if I might need them more later, despite there being no more game after this sequence.

Anyway I think that's why I keep harping about "just use your stuff right now immediately as soon as you feel like it or remember it's one of your million options." I'm very often the goober completing any quest to gather resources because of course, I have a walmarts worth of every ingredient the game lets me pick up because that's what I do in these games, pick things up and not use them in case of moments like this after which I will still not use the stuff enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There does come a point where you should absolutely be taking on fights. It's up to you to find that balance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

avoiding fights in ToTK is a bad idea, they shower you with goodies for killing enemies
there seems to be a lot of overlap between the “avoid fights they aren’t worth the resources” camp and the “jfc why am I always so low on resources in this game” camp

BotW, especially hard mode, fights were a calculation of does it seem worth the resources or fun enough to not give a poo poo? In TotK the camps do a much better job of making sure you leave with more than you came in with, usually having to leave plenty of stuff behind.

I want to say loot scales with your level as well, I find way more X5 and x10 bundles dropped from mobs than early on when it seemed like they'd often drop loosies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you don’t want to be daring and deal with strong enemies pay attention to what NPCs are saying they’ll all wink at you and nudge you towards the path of least resistance which will also get you started on unlocking the armor upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Merkinman posted:

I was avoiding fights, but then I thought that was bad because how else would I get arrows/better weapons?

I was doing that at first but then I fought a hard dude and just one of the multiple monster parts he dropped fused onto some stick and made the next hard dude much easier, and now I'm actively seeking out fights 'cause they shower me with goodies and make my damage numbers go way up.

I'd still like some armor, though. (But I'll be able to afford it with all these extra parts for sale.)

Augus posted: