Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I can’t believe the NATO CIA would do this?!

After the Bay of Pigs invasion, I'll believe anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...Uh what the gently caress is going on? This feels bigger than we think :stare:

Ukraine, now is the time to move wherever you want, the Russian rear line is apparently imploding.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I want to believe that we are seeing Russians sick of Putin's poo poo, and cognizant of the image the rest of the world now has of Russia and want to do the honorable thing and make it clear the whole "special operation" was a grave mistake.

Because I used to be an optimist, and apparently it's not completely dead

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Strike for the south. March on the palace. Burn the palace.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jack teixera: “wtf that wasn’t in the leak?! I’m going to ultrajail for old info?!”

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1660674160933126146

I wish terrible things on this guy

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

TulliusCicero posted:

...Uh what the gently caress is going on? This feels bigger than we think :stare:

Ukraine, now is the time to move wherever you want, the Russian rear line is apparently imploding.

Considering we havent heard of any fighting anywhere else in russia, this is more likely a ukranian backed resistence group used to cayse chaos in the russian lines than it being an actual coup or something so its probably not bigger than we think.

edit considering its russia, they might not be getting their weapons from ukraine and are probably just buying them off of corrupt storespeople

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 22, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

Considering we havent heard of any fighting anywhere else in russia, this is more likely a ukranian backed resistence group used to cayse chaos in the russian lines than it being an actual coup or something so its probably not bigger than we think.

The Russians are currently shelling their own border towns/ people. This is a huge overreaction based on current info for them to do this.

Something loving wierd is going on.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

For reference, proper dragon's teeth as installed by the Germans in WW2 are supported by a buried concrete foundation layer, and range from 1 to 2 meters in height, in multiple lines, supported by mines, barbed wire, artillery positions and machine gun nests.

These things look like one or two strong guys can shift them by hand.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Keisari posted:

If people don't mind me speculating:

While the motive is obviously as a distraction, how likely do you guys think that if these insurgents prevail against Russian assault, that it could spark a larger civil war?

No
The "russian rebels" that Ukraine funds are a very silly psyop that mostly exists online

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ah yes, there is no way this can backfire

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1660666336576503809

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

This is very likely a nothing burger and nothing militarily will come of it.

They're absolutely not going to take Belgorod, and will probably scoot back across the border within a few days as the initial shock dies down and the Russians realise its not a full-scale Ukrainian Offensive spearheaded by F16s, M1s and Leopards, and launch counterattacks.

What is more interesting, is how Russia reacts. If there is genuine panic and disorganisation taking place - as some optimistic social media reports suggest (but there is a LOT of fog of war and no doubt many ukrainian psyops going on), then that may be symptomatic of serious morale issues and problems that may manifest in other areas of the front. And if the public has little faith in the army's ability to defend them, this may impact support for the war.

Time will tell. I'd be very glad to be wrong.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tigey posted:

This is very likely a nothing burger and nothing militarily will come of it.

They're absolutely not going to take Belgorod, and will probably scoot back across the border within a few days as the initial shock dies down and the Russians realise its not a full-scale Ukrainian Offensive spearheaded by F16s, M1s and Leopards, and launch counterattacks.

What is more interesting, is how Russia reacts. If there is genuine panic and disorganisation taking place - as some optimistic social media reports suggest (but there is a LOT of fog of war and no doubt many ukrainian psyops going on), then that may be symptomatic of serious morale issues and problems that may manifest in other areas of the front. And if the public has little faith in the army's ability to defend them, this may impact support for the war.

Time will tell. I'd be very glad to be wrong.

Pretty much everyone in the know agrees this is just a raid, that lasts however long the guys conducting it want to last. They already were said to have mentioned that if it looked like Russia would send serious opposition, they'd just leave and go back across.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

TulliusCicero posted:

The Russians are currently shelling their own border towns/ people. This is a huge overreaction based on current info for them to do this.

Well they responded to Ukraine getting storm shadows by shooting down 5 of their own aircraft.

The nation who is at risk of losing their year+ long 3 day special military operation and has all but shuttered their economy may not exactly be rational thinkers.

It very well could be a coup but usually those thing start in the capital to ensure you can get the former dictator before they flee to a safe location, like a sealed bunker surrounded by sycophants

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
This is good for bitcoin Russia.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Folks please, lets not forget to use proper terminology and start referring to it as The Belgorod. Thank you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Russia is getting pushed leftwards, the system works #ACAB

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

Folks please, lets not forget to use proper terminology and start referring to it as The Belgorod. Thank you.

You mean Bilhorod People's Republic.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The Belgorod peoples republic lol

The People's Republic of Belgorod!

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Splitter!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1660685440142196737
LMAO they're scared shitless.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This poo poo is beyond embarrassing

It's like the US invading Canada and US rebels besieging Detroit

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DiomedesGodshill posted:

The Bilhorod People's Republic will not tolerate the capitalist imperialism of the People's Republic of Belogorod.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

dunno whats happening at all but im howling

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/maewald/status/1660679908329156611?s=20

"Belgorod was part of the Ukrainian People's Republic from 1917 to 1921. Putin needs to recognize this legitimate historical claim."

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

shadow puppet of a posted:

Future historians will refer to it as Western Russia, home of NATO headquarters :peanut:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think we can all at least agree that historically, Moscow has always been part of Greater Belgorod

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

The Bilhorod People's Republic will not tolerate the capitalist imperialism of the People's Republic of Belogorod.

You want a civil war? This is how you get a civil war!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It is clear that the fierce enemy soldiers that have entered Belgorad Oblast are Russian separatists as they fight like demons with real spirit. They fight like true Russians! If they were cowardly inept Ukrainians they would have been crushed immediately.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/maewald/status/1660679908329156611?s=20

"Belgorod was part of the Ukrainian People's Republic from 1917 to 1921. Putin needs to recognize this legitimate historical claim."

I will say Ukraine is doing some quality trolling from this

Holy poo poo what an absolute propaganda disaster for Pootin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

TulliusCicero posted:

Watch it be something like "The Russians were already doing this since October 2022 but this is the first time it reached a far broader audience across the world"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I stand with the separatists of the Belgorod people's Republic, sic semper tyrannosaurus!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Russia should capitulate and give up The Belgorod immediatly before more innocent russians die, its the only humane option

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1660664443263500293
In one day these mad lads occupied more land than Putler managed to in one year.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1660664443263500293
In one day these mad lads occupied more land than Putler managed to in one year.

:lol:

There is kicking in a rotten door, and then there is lightly knocking to see who is home, and the entire house rots and collapses around the door

If this is just a "raid" it's wildly successful

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TulliusCicero posted:

This poo poo is beyond embarrassing

It's like the US invading Canada and US rebels besieging Detroit

That happened though it was called Pontiac's Rebellion, right down to besieging (Fort) Detroit.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So, wait, Russia took how many soldiers lives and how long to take Bakhmut? And a group of rag tag Russian peasants took how much Russian territory in how long?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
Lula and Orban can finally be true neutrals and let Russia keep Crimea if Ukraine can keep Bilhorod Oblast. I'm expecting the announcement of their genius peace plan any second now.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

El Jebus posted:

So, wait, Russia took how many soldiers lives and how long to take Bakhmut? And a group of rag tag Russian peasants took how much Russian territory in how long?

If my Math is right it's about 72 square miles, in like a few hours?

Which considering Bakmut :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1660689026070790162

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1660674430748508161