Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

sb hermit posted:

Nice choices. TWSBI Eco and Pilot Metropolitan are probably the only two pens I can unreservedly recommend to new pen users. My Eco always writes smooth and the Metro has a small reservoir but has a classic look and is really easy to clean.

Yeah I'm pretty satisfied with my lineup. I wouldn't mind having fancier pens but I much lean toward function over form, so these are fine for now. My laptops are beat-to-poo poo thinkpads, for example. It's a pretty cheap lineup but it's nice knowing I have pens that can take some abuse and still treat me well. One of these days I'll save up for one of those midrange gold-nibbed pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

sb hermit posted:

How's the Safari?

Smooth? Scratchy?

And what size nib are you using with it?

It's good. I like writing with it without the cap on the back, it feels balanced better when just the pen. It's a fine nib and whether it's scratchy or not depends on the paper I'm writing on. In the Traveler's Notebook it's nice and smooth, on the moleskin it's a little scratchy, doesn't seem to correlate between cheap or expensive paper.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Crain posted:

It's good. I like writing with it without the cap on the back, it feels balanced better when just the pen. It's a fine nib and whether it's scratchy or not depends on the paper I'm writing on. In the Traveler's Notebook it's nice and smooth, on the moleskin it's a little scratchy, doesn't seem to correlate between cheap or expensive paper.

Nice. The Safari has a reputation in this thread for being a hit or miss and I'm glad you got s hit.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Incidentally, I also picked up a Safari in Medium and it's a little scratchy on Rhodia, so that's concerning, but I haven't had a good close look at the nib so it could be just a little misaligned. Flow and everything else seems fine with Kaweco pearl black in it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Doctor Hospital posted:

Incidentally, I also picked up a Safari in Medium and it's a little scratchy on Rhodia, so that's concerning, but I haven't had a good close look at the nib so it could be just a little misaligned. Flow and everything else seems fine with Kaweco pearl black in it.

In my experience all Safaris are just Like That.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
My M nib on the Safari just about glides on the page. The only smoother pen I have is an old Delta of my dad's we dug up recently, but I don't carry that daily obviously.

The Lamy F nib offers a bit more scratchiness but is pretty compatible with the lovely paper I have at work and is legit fairly smooth on that as well. Doesn't bring out the full depth of Tsuki-yo though.

My newer candidate for daily carry is a Sailor Profit Jr, which looks pretty nice, is pocketable and the supposedly MF nib writes thinner than the Lamy F. Pretty nice results on office paper, but I feel like I need to press at least a bit to prevent skips. Descending cursive letters especially seem to offend it. Welp, hope I don't break it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any recommendations for a good brush pen? Might be fun to use

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SixteenShells posted:

1 for work (TWSBI Eco with black ink), 2 for art (TWSBI Eco and a Pilot Metro, with grey and red inks). Plus two brush pens with black and grey. I used to keep Safari's with Red and Blue around but i found I wasn't using them enough to get through a full converter's worth before it dried up significantly.

Just have to ask, what brush pens do you use for fp ink and how do you like them? I use a kuratake sable with carbon black but it is expensive and has some limits, such as availability.

Xun posted:

Any recommendations for a good brush pen? Might be fun to use

Well, that one but it seems like kuratake also as some nylon brush pens . They seem to accept diplomat standard converters, at least that is what is in the no50 .
https://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Fountain-Brush-Pens/ct/569

Keetron fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 16, 2023

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

mortons stork posted:

My M nib on the Safari just about glides on the page. The only smoother pen I have is an old Delta of my dad's we dug up recently, but I don't carry that daily obviously.

The Lamy F nib offers a bit more scratchiness but is pretty compatible with the lovely paper I have at work and is legit fairly smooth on that as well. Doesn't bring out the full depth of Tsuki-yo though.

My newer candidate for daily carry is a Sailor Profit Jr, which looks pretty nice, is pocketable and the supposedly MF nib writes thinner than the Lamy F. Pretty nice results on office paper, but I feel like I need to press at least a bit to prevent skips. Descending cursive letters especially seem to offend it. Welp, hope I don't break it.

Japanese pens generally tend to run about one nib size smaller than their western counterparts, so a Japanese fine will write more like a western extra-fine, a medium will write like a fine, and so forth. There's some speculation that this is why Japanese inks tend to flow wetter as the small nib sizes write better with an ink that'll flow easily.

Its also important to keep in mind that when a company labels something a "fine" or "medium" on their nibs, they're only referring to a comparison between their own nibs, not some kind of international standard. A Pelikan medium will write broader than a kaweco medium, for instance.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 16, 2023

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Japanese pens generally tend to run about one nib size smaller than their western counterparts, so a Japanese fine will write more like a western extra-fine, a medium will write like a fine, and so forth. There's some speculation that this is why Japanese inks tend to flow wetter as the small nib sizes write better with an ink that'll flow easily.

Its also important to keep in mind that when a company labels something a "fine" or "medium" on their nibs, they're only referring to a comparison between their own nibs, not some kind of international standard. A Pelikan medium will write broader than a kaweco medium, for instance.

With some manufacturers (looking at you Lamy), it is also more of a guideline and can change pen to pen.
Japanese inks are the best inks.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

I had read about the Japanese nibs and figured the lower-end pens would fit my needs of a) writing well, even pleasantly, on most kinds of paper and b) not being worth shedding copious tears (although €30 is still a significant sum to just lose) in case of loss/breakage
I was still unprepared with how thin the Sailor FM actually is.

But there not being an international frame of reference for nibs is good to know! I would never have figured it out and chalked it down to QA on single nibs otherwise.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Are you guys telling me there are brush pens that can use fountain pen ink... ?

Are they good?

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
There are a couple of pens that have switchable feeds and some include the brush attachment. Most Chinese pens have the option, some random pen I got from Aliexpress had one included.

My Dad and I will list our inked pens. The last inventory I did of pens, some of which were down to last drops but I still counted, I had 38 inked. This includes my pen roll of nice pens, loose pens I carry in my backpack, and 5 Varsities that I've refilled with different inks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I have purchased another Delta

Thank you, that is all

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thinking about this a bit more, I recall putting india ink in a water brush, like the ones you use with watercolors but that did not work as well as I wanted. I was looking for waterproof greys to use as shadows and accents on drawings that I made with carbon black anyway. In the end I went with faber castell pitt pens but that still smears. Maybe I should try a water brush with diluted carbon black...

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I have a really fun $9~ Kuretake brush pen that supposedly takes Platinum converters but I haven't finished the basic black cartidge I put in it. Might take me a few months to use it all up

I forgot about for like 5 months and it did not dry out even a little so that was nice

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I had this pentel brush pen, and it worked perfectly nicely. Unfortunately it went walkabout at some point. Just last week I got one of these ??? brush pens off ali. It also works perfectly fine, although I feel like it doesn't come to quite as fine a point as the pentel did; however this could be a difference between the (supposedly) carbon black ink the pentel came with vs. the pilot black (fountain) that I put in this new one. To be honest, I don't think there's going to be much of a performance difference between brush pens/water brushes. Provided they have actual bristles and aren't just a soft felt point, they're probably all going to perform more or less the same, with maybe a little difference in responsiveness and the bulk of the difference being how well the body feels in your hand. But I'm also not an artist or anything, I just use these to badly scrawl things.

I also picked up a Jinhao 80. It very much looks like a lamy 2000, until you see the section, and it also uses that lamy-esque squared nib you see on a lot of chinese pens these days. It's absurdly light and slightly unbalanced posted, but it writes rather nicely. Probably the most interesting thing is that the nibs aren't just lamy-like, they're sized the same way; I got an EF and it's putting out a line about the same as my F Prera.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Keetron posted:

Just have to ask, what brush pens do you use for fp ink and how do you like them?

The Pentel pocket and the Pentel refillable. they're just cheap synthetic bristle pens, i'm not actually good at art, so I don't spring for the good brushes. I use Noodler's Lexington Gray in one, it works great, and I plan to use Noodler's Heart of Darkness in the other once the cartridge it came with runs out.

Edit: Oh yeah the second part. They're fun to use! I don't know what I'm doing but I enjoy doing it. I was doing a roleplay journal last year when I played Elden Ring and using them for sketches and whatnot. They haven't given me any ink issues so far, but even if they do, they're cheap.

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 17, 2023

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

The Pentel pocket and the Pentel refillable. they're just cheap synthetic bristle pens, i'm not actually good at art, so I don't spring for the good brushes. I use Noodler's Lexington Gray in one, it works great, and I plan to use Noodler's Heart of Darkness in the other once the cartridge it came with runs out.

Edit: Oh yeah the second part. They're fun to use! I don't know what I'm doing but I enjoy doing it. I was doing a roleplay journal last year when I played Elden Ring and using them for sketches and whatnot. They haven't given me any ink issues so far, but even if they do, they're cheap.

I am familair with the pentel pocket brush, did you just use it until the cartridge was empty and then filled it with a blunt syringe or did you get a converter for it? And the pentel pocket brush is really good value for money and the favorite tool (at least for a while) of the late Kim Jung Gi.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Keetron posted:

I am familair with the pentel pocket brush, did you just use it until the cartridge was empty and then filled it with a blunt syringe or did you get a converter for it? And the pentel pocket brush is really good value for money and the favorite tool (at least for a while) of the late Kim Jung Gi.

Yeah I just flushed the cartridge out real good with a blunt syringe, but I was going black->grey. Might be dicier to change colors too.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

Yeah I just flushed the cartridge out real good with a blunt syringe, but I was going black->grey. Might be dicier to change colors too.

Found the solution on Ali Express, there are some knock off brush pens that take converters, from various brands including jinhao. In a few months I'll have some of that in time for summer holiday, I can fill them with the greys I have from Herbin and we'll see. I'll keep ya'll updated.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Well, I just bought something I'll be seeing in 9-12 months. :retrogames:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Well, I just bought something I'll be seeing in 9-12 months. :retrogames:

Don't worry, you only really need one kidney

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

Don't worry, you only really need one kidney

Amazingly, they take a 40% deposit, rest payable when it shows up there, so I can re-grow that part of the kidney until then. That's how that works, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Amazingly, they take a 40% deposit, rest payable when it shows up there, so I can re-grow that part of the kidney until then. That's how that works, right?

That's what I tell all of the people I steal the kidneys from.

Also, I got another Delta last night! Hooray!

A Serena in a lovely blue

grack fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 19, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Looking for recommendations on a nice fountain pen that can be engraved. Budget maybe $150-$250.

Last time I checked the thread years ago I ended up with a Pilot Metropolitan Fountain Pen from https://www.gouletpens.com and I loved it. But I'm looking for something fancier (silver or gold maybe) that can be engraved. It's for a special occasion :)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Would it be mostly a show piece or would it get use?

It looks like goldspot pens does engraving and of their engravable pens in your price range I saw these
https://goldspot.com/products/caran-dache-ecridor-retro-silver-plated-fine-point-fountain-pen

https://goldspot.com/products/diplomat-aero-felt-pen-factory

https://goldspot.com/products/waterman-expert-fountain-pen-in-black-with-gold-trim

https://goldspot.com/products/parker-sonnet-black-lacquer-gt-fp-fountain-pen-m

Of those, someone who is older or passingly familiar with pens has probably heard of Parker or Waterman as they were big (now formerly) American brands. They also cater a fair bit to the "My dad just got the big promotion and we need a cool gift for his desk" crowd. Penwise, I've heard iffy things on the QA for both modern iterations of these brands

Diplomat at its mid-high end is pretty solid from what I hear. I have no idea about Caran D'Ache

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sankis posted:

Would it be mostly a show piece or would it get use?

It looks like goldspot pens does engraving and of their engravable pens in your price range I saw these
https://goldspot.com/products/caran-dache-ecridor-retro-silver-plated-fine-point-fountain-pen

https://goldspot.com/products/diplomat-aero-felt-pen-factory

https://goldspot.com/products/waterman-expert-fountain-pen-in-black-with-gold-trim

https://goldspot.com/products/parker-sonnet-black-lacquer-gt-fp-fountain-pen-m

Of those, someone who is older or passingly familiar with pens has probably heard of Parker or Waterman as they were big (now formerly) American brands. They also cater a fair bit to the "My dad just got the big promotion and we need a cool gift for his desk" crowd. Penwise, I've heard iffy things on the QA for both modern iterations of these brands

Diplomat at its mid-high end is pretty solid from what I hear. I have no idea about Caran D'Ache

This is a wonderful resource, thank you!

The pen would get daily use, but not as a workhorse of writing everything going on that day. That said, I do want some QA, I don't wanna gift something that breaks soon or is a pain in the rear end lol.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

When I say QA I don't necessarily mean the build of it it's more of a nib thing. Though someone else can speak to those brands better.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I have yet to see a new Parker Sonnet that wrote properly out of the box.

Caran D'Ache, Waterman and Diplomat all make very good pens in the $100-200 range, though I would rate Diplomat and Caran D'Ache a touch higher in terms of fit and finish. Waterman pens are also picky bitches about converters.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

grack posted:

I have yet to see a new Parker Sonnet that wrote properly out of the box.

Caran D'Ache, Waterman and Diplomat all make very good pens in the $100-200 range, though I would rate Diplomat and Caran D'Ache a touch higher in terms of fit and finish. Waterman pens are also picky bitches about converters.

Aren't Waterman converters proprietary? I know they're Parker-style but didn't think they're compatible with each other.

Edit: Throw in another recommendation for Diplomat. Never had a pen of theirs that didn't write really well. If you don't mind a mix of resin and metal, Aurora also makes some nice metal-capped pens in that price range that look really classic as well. A black and silver Ipsilon would be a really nice gift.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 21, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The post is the same size as standard international, and generic cartridges will work. However, Waterman converters are slightly smaller than the Schmidt K5, meaning you can't use the latter in anything but Waterman's cheapest pens.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I filled my TWSBI Eco with FWP's Open Sea Atrium and good Lord it's lovely.

It's hard to photograph the glittery movement of the ink but it's incredible, I assure you.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
That looks like amazing fun!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise. And the slowly building anticipation from seeing the reservoir slowly deplete over time, gauging how long you can push it before you should clean and refill - it's very engaging.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SixteenShells posted:

ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise. And the slowly building anticipation from seeing the reservoir slowly deplete over time, gauging how long you can push it before you should clean and refill - it's very engaging.

You might find a sweet spot in pens with ink windows (e.g., Lamy Safari, Lamy 2000, some Pelikans, Sailor Realo).

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Muir posted:

You might find a sweet spot in pens with ink windows (e.g., Lamy Safari, Lamy 2000, some Pelikans, Sailor Realo).

I've got a couple Safari's bouncing around and you're right, the ink window's pretty sweet. I'm a little burned on the Safari caps wearing out, but I should give those others a look, thanks for the recs!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

SixteenShells posted:

ooooo that looks pretty!

That's a plus for me, OP.

But yes, I agree it's hard to find an elegant demonstrator. Ink windows serve a good middle ground.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I love being able to see the ink sloshing around in the Diamond 580 I have. The faceted barrel helps, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I can confirm, ink window on the safari owns. I can tell if I'm gonna run out today, sometimes if I flip it I can estimate how many days I got left.

The Sailor writes absolutely wonderfully but having to unscrew the body to see how much juice I got left is a pain.

Definitely want to get myself an Eco soon! :stoked: