Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Magus Tom would rock those frontless jerkins, is all I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mostly remember being constantly low-key grossed out by Lady Deathstrike and her super long finger(nail)s.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I am so happy to see John Allison continuing the Chris Claremont tradition of having characters explain their powers to themselves as they use them, even if I am certain this particular strip will not be someone's very first.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

I am so happy to see John Allison continuing the Chris Claremont tradition of having characters explain their powers to themselves as they use them, even if I am certain this particular strip will not be someone's very first.

i don't know who a single character in this is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

The Reaver with the high hairline is one who I think was kind of a fill-in background character drawn by Marc Silvestri. I don’t think he had a name or was ever intended to be anything other than fodder to be chopped up by Wolverine. But in this story, I drew him several times, and really got to enjoy his murdery widow’s peak.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

karmicknight posted:

i don't know who a single character in this is.

Okay, I'm not so certain anymore.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Loving Lady Deathstrike's fingers on the map.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Those Billboard charts are largely period-accurate. I’m only sorry that I never got to draw Willy Joel in this story or investigate his rich back catalogue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Kitty Pryde’s super powers are passing through things like a ghost, and disrupting electronics as she passes through things like a ghost. Given the ease with which the home handyman can send a screw into electrical ducting when putting up shelves, and the frequency with which Kitty passes through walls, I believe she only disrupts electronics when, on a quantum level, the plot demands it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I didn’t get into the comics game with the expectation that I would ever have to draw a page like this, but I have given it the old college try and anything I did not leave on the table was unsuitable for public consumption. In conclusion: budda budda budda.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it’s good enough for How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I take back everything I said about this story, I love it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's no wonder Allison's doing a good job writing Wolverine. A short, stocky, hairy weirdo who goes on rage-fueled berserker charges while struggling with his inner beast? That's just Brian. :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

amigolupus posted:

It's no wonder Allison's doing a good job writing Wolverine. A short, stocky, hairy weirdo who goes on rage-fueled berserker charges while struggling with his inner beast? That's just Brian Susan . :v:

:hmmyes:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

At last, the 10th Avenue Band. They’re all there:

CLAUD CLARENCE
ROY BLITTER
PATTI SCIAPPLE
NILS LOGJAM

Manager
JOHN LANDSMAN

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wouldn't be a Marvel's comic from the 80's without this part:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I thought that was real for a second while reading the comic summaries at the bottom. :haw: "That's silver age alright."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only problem with the Transformers one is I think the issue number is too low for that summary.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

A little bit of 9-panel comics formalism for this important event: the death of Wolverine. It’s over, he’s dead and he’s never coming back. You’d think that such an iconic character would perish in a non-unlicensed book but surely dying, alone and unmourned, off-piste (so to speak) is more in keeping with his character.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I saw this page as being a bit like an isometric perspective video game. Have you ever tried to make a citizen’s arrest? Has one ever worked?

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
That's a really good page.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sooner or later she'll figure out that she can effortlessly win by walking through them. there's a reason why the reavers were introduced after she left the x-men.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sooner or later she'll figure out that she can effortlessly win by walking through them. there's a reason why the reavers were introduced after she left the x-men.

I mean, they could try dodging. It's not like she's the only mutant with a power that amounts to "if I can touch you I win."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, they could try dodging. It's not like she's the only mutant with a power that amounts to "if I can touch you I win."

Yeah, but usually they're trying to use their hands. Kitty/Kate can just run at you and not even worry about collisions. So, like, best case scenario has these cyborgs fleeing a 13 year old girl like a bizarre game of tag.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't know who she is or what she can do.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

they don't know who she is or what she can do.

But she's the best at what she does...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
it would appear that they did not try dodging

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Congrats!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

"Frail" is such a classic Claremont badguy line.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The classic finger wiggling battle part of any classic X-Men story. You may remember such digital motions from the Dark Phoenix Saga and Inferno.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

But she's the best at what she does...

Hah!

I didn't think Deathstrike was all cyber-y too. But then, I never looked into it, and she does get drawn with all the gross fleshtech on her arms, and hangs with the Reavers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, she's heavily cybernetic. there's not much flesh left.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Classic Bronze Age dialogue here, I love it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:3: It feels good to see John having such fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Like a non-fetish version of Claremont with a word limit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Chris Onstad (of “Achewood” fame) once told me that his family had an “unrepeatable” Boz Scaggs story. I think about what it might have been, often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The starting point of this story was a couple of panels of an old issue of X-Factor featuring a very hastily drawn Cyclops and Wolverine. Given that we are one issue after Wolvie first had a horny illicit pash with Jean Grey, it’s hard to explain the energy of bonhomie between him and his intended cuckold.

However, it was this very energy I sought to capture to really get across the 100% mutual respect between Brick and the Wolf-man.