Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jon Stewart's America book having photoshopped pictures of the Supreme Court naked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Beastie posted:

Jon Stewart's America book having photoshopped pictures of the Supreme Court naked

a substantial portion of the democratic party staring down fascism and being like "it's okay, job stewart will save us"

jon stewart's "we're patriots too" plea some time during the trump presidency

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Listen, Fat

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

a substantial portion of the democratic party staring down fascism and being like "it's okay, job stewart will save us"

jon stewart's "we're patriots too" plea some time during the trump presidency

Stewart's 2010 'Rally to Restore Sanity', in which tens of thousands of people marched in DC to loudly proclaim that they believe in nothing in particular and would like to go back to not having to think about politics anymore

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Stewart's 2010 'Rally to Restore Sanity', in which tens of thousands of people marched in DC to loudly proclaim that they believe in nothing in particular and would like to go back to not having to think about politics anymore

liberals lmfao

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

The last four decades, in aggregate, of prominent American liberals saying one or another version of "we all want the same thing." Both for where they're wrong and they're right.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Beastie posted:

That book is still loving funny

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

UKJeff posted:

That book is still loving funny

it really is. my copy fell apart years ago due to being passed around so much and largely being kept in a pool office.

I never got around to reading the follow up, Earth.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Onion's "Our Dumb World" was funnier than Earth: The Book.

But yes, America: The Book aged better than a lot of Stewart-era Daily Show bits.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

seeking a balance between the right wing tea party and the far left Obama administration

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bruce Tinsley got so mad about the Mallard Fillmore parody in that book he made a strip calling Jon Stewart a pedophile.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

I would very much like to not think about politics

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Bruce Tinsley got so mad about the Mallard Fillmore parody in that book he made a strip calling Jon Stewart a pedophile.

That was the basis of LF's mallard filmore thread, which turned into the political cartoons thread, which gave us dan lacy getting a moderate amount of mainstream attention for drawing pictures of politicians with pancakes on their heads

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hand Knit posted:

That was the basis of LF's mallard filmore thread, which turned into the political cartoons thread, which gave us dan lacy getting a moderate amount of mainstream attention for drawing pictures of politicians with pancakes on their heads

présenté

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Echo Chamber posted:

But yes, America: The Book aged better than a lot of Stewart-era Daily Show bits.
every time I see a Delaware license plate I still think "Delaware: loving BORING"

also every time I see a nichael post :getin:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
George Lucas thinking he was doing clever political commentary in the star wars prequels

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ikanreed posted:

George Lucas thinking he was doing clever political commentary in the star wars prequels

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Obama telling Rahm Emmanuel and other former underlings to gently caress off and not come to his birthday party because he wanted to hang out with celebrities.

Maybe the only good thing he’s ever done.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hey now, extremists blowing up an obvious us military metaphor were cool.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i am 100% certain that absent any nostalgic connection to star wars, most commentators today would see the rebellion as a band of marauding terrorists because while you may not like the galactic empire, it was a lawfully established galactic empire and if they don't like it well the plucky little rebels should just get out there and VOTE!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

The Onion's "Our Dumb World" was funnier than Earth: The Book.

our dumb century is the best history book ever written

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ikanreed posted:

Hey now, extremists blowing up an obvious us military metaphor were cool.

I always rooted for the teddy cong

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ikanreed posted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lib and let die posted:

i am 100% certain that absent any nostalgic connection to star wars, most commentators today would see the rebellion as a band of marauding terrorists because while you may not like the galactic empire, it was a lawfully established galactic empire and if they don't like it well the plucky little rebels should just get out there and VOTE!

Plenty of people already do this yeah

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

an extension of that being disney, the massive international corporation with an immensely influential voice in western politics, incorporating the stormtroopers into their children's theme parks as soon as loving possible because it's an insanely convenient costume choice to have a bunch of faceless foot soldiers operating as the face of Star Wars for a global empire

E: and, also, that star wars' moral compass operates exclusively on horse shoe theory lmao

bawk has issued a correction as of 20:37 on May 22, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

bawk posted:

an extension of that being disney, the massive international corporation with an immensely influential voice in western politics, incorporating the stormtroopers into their children's theme parks as soon as loving possible because it's an insanely convenient costume choice to have a bunch of faceless foot soldiers operating as the face of Star Wars for a global empire

E: and, also, that star wars' moral compass operates exclusively on horse shoe theory lmao

um excuse me but the empire is incredibly diverse, we know that because Finn is black.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

More 👏 Women 👏 Death 👏 Troopers

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Speaking of which: white American audiences being mad that the leads of the new movies were a black man and a white woman being Jedis together, so Disney nerfed the black character.

And then blamed China.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The moved the black man off the cover of the poster for BB8 because "China."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

The moved the black man off the cover of the poster for BB8 because "China."

it's so weird how the diametrically opposed tribes in america have such strong common ground on china :thunk:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lib and let die posted:

it's so weird how the diametrically opposed tribes in america have such strong common ground on china :thunk:

Disney Libs and China love the little white cuckball.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Disney is good now and will defeat D*Santis

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/810650507714891777

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ikanreed posted:

i wonder what his wife thinks about those characters in the prequels

you know the ones

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Announcing to the world of his own free will that he has been too dumb to understand kids movies his entire life.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Disney Libs and China love the little white cuckball.

the entire picture that "little white cuck ball" came from

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hilary Clinton landing under sniper fire in Bosnia

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

there are tons of chuds on YouTube who earnestly present this idea.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

um excuse me but the empire is incredibly diverse, we know that because Finn is black.

Star Wars Squadrons has a woke crew of TIE Fighter pilots

That's actually kinda apt though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Ireland legalizing drugs for around 48 hours, entirely by accident

There is probably some "well actually" qualifiers but people had a loving large night out in Dublin regardless