Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Need a gift for my cousin. He's an artist, so the art is important. B&W with flowing inks seems to be something he's especially into, but anything goes. Horror, abstract, violence are totally fine for him. Like, I think he enjoyed Red Room.

Totally fine with obscure indie or Marvel/Image. He liked East of West, I just lent him Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise. Sorry, can't name random indie things he's been into, but he's got a bunch. I'd prefer a series that can be read in a couple of TPBs, not a long ongoing.

It is a long ongoing, but the part I'm recommending is only a few TPBs and stands on it's own, Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Narmer posted:

I have a lot of childhood nostalgia for 90s era X-Men and the greater X-franchise. It's often said though that the X-franchise had a lot of problems in the 90s after Chris Claremont left. I checked out Age of Apocalypse a while ago and I still enjoyed it. So besides AoA are there any other storylines from 90s X-Men that still hold up today? Thanks

I still like The Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, which showed the origin of Mr Sinister and had great John Paul Leon art.
I think X-Cutioner's Song and Fatal Attractions still hold up as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uthor posted:

Need a gift for my cousin. He's an artist, so the art is important. B&W with flowing inks seems to be something he's especially into, but anything goes. Horror, abstract, violence are totally fine for him. Like, I think he enjoyed Red Room.

Totally fine with obscure indie or Marvel/Image. He liked East of West, I just lent him Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise. Sorry, can't name random indie things he's been into, but he's got a bunch. I'd prefer a series that can be read in a couple of TPBs, not a long ongoing.

none of these are b&w but flowing inks makes me think of Sana Takeda, Christian Ward, and Stephanie Hans. So Monstress, Black Bolt, and DIE?

department of truth...i don't know if it's flowy but it certainly has an interesting look to it

e: and yeah any tradd moore book obviously

site fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 22, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
David Mack has done some great watercolor work, but I think it was all for covers?
I haven't read his Kabuki in 10+ years but it was a lot of fun, all B&W, wish I could remember if Mack got artistic with it.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

StumblyWumbly posted:

David Mack has done some great watercolor work, but I think it was all for covers?
I haven't read his Kabuki in 10+ years but it was a lot of fun, all B&W, wish I could remember if Mack got artistic with it.

first 2 volumes of Kabuki are b&w, the later ones are gorgeous mixed media color

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random thoughts, sticking to western (non BD) works.

Monsters, by BWS
Joelle Jones’ Lady Killer (not B&W but the art is awesome)
Kabuki, as mentioned, is gorgeous
Has he tried love and rockets? Because that’s probably the best American black and white series ever made.
Punk rock Jesus. Sean Lewis is an edgy conservative bro as far as I recall, but his art is top tier.

Has he tried manga at all? B&W is more mainstream there, and people like Junji Ito would probably resonate if he likes high quality art & stuff like Red Room. Lone wolf and cub is another one that I think of when you say flowing inks, though obviously that’s a lot longer than a couple TPBs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Air Skwirl posted:

It is a long ongoing, but the part I'm recommending is only a few TPBs and stands on it's own, Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer.

Definitely will give this a think.

site posted:

none of these are b&w but flowing inks makes me think of Sana Takeda, Christian Ward, and Stephanie Hans. So Monstress, Black Bolt, and DIE?

department of truth...i don't know if it's flowy but it certainly has an interesting look to it

e: and yeah any tradd moore book obviously

Will check these out. I haven't read Die since comixology turned to poo poo. Just now I got the pun of the title.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Kabuki art is nice, but I don't feel like this is in his wheelhouse. Thanks, though. May lend him the books I have at some point. Met Mack once or twice, seems like a good dude.

Jordan7hm posted:

Random thoughts, sticking to western (non BD) works.

Monsters, by BWS
Joelle Jones’ Lady Killer (not B&W but the art is awesome)
Kabuki, as mentioned, is gorgeous
Has he tried love and rockets? Because that’s probably the best American black and white series ever made.
Punk rock Jesus. Sean Lewis is an edgy conservative bro as far as I recall, but his art is top tier.

Has he tried manga at all? B&W is more mainstream there, and people like Junji Ito would probably resonate if he likes high quality art & stuff like Red Room. Lone wolf and cub is another one that I think of when you say flowing inks, though obviously that’s a lot longer than a couple TPBs.

Will also check these out. Funny, I went to grab my copy of Love and Rockets a couple of weeks ago and remembered that he's borrowing it and it's not at my house!

I don't feel like he's into manga in general. He teaches college and I'm sure all the 20 year old art students have exposed him to it.

I guess I could have also said he's super into TMNT, but, well, he already owns all the TMNT comics he would ever want. Last Ronin is awesome!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Not flowy inks, but black and white horror makes me think of Terry Moore's Rachel Rising.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

Are foreign comics okay or do you want to keep it American?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Luther Strode

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Are foreign comics okay or do you want to keep it American?

I look at whatever you recommend...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Xenozoic Era

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

I look at whatever you recommend...

I’m not entirely sure what flowing inks means but the entirety of Bone is available in one volume in black and white.

I’d say that my favorite artists working right now in Japan are Aki Irie, Kaoru Mori, and Kamome Shirohama.

Aki Irie has an ongoing series, Go With the Clouds North-By-Northwest (currently has five volumes), and a finished series (Ran and the Grey World, seven volumes) available in English and they’re both jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Kaoru Mori has a Victorian romance series, Emma, but that’s hard to get your hands on. Her ongoing series, A Bride’s Story, is also deeply gorgeous but has 13 volumes available at the moment. That said, the stories are largely vignettes so you can get the first two volumes and have a pretty well contained and satisfying story.

Kamome Shirohama has the Eisner-winning series Witch Hat Atelier, but that’s also ongoing and over ten volumes. Instead, I’d recommend Eniale and Dewiela, and three volume series about a devil and angel who are friends/frenemies who mostly get up to hijinks rather than do their jobs.

If you’re feeling mischievous, you can give him Mob Psycho 100 by ONE, which is both incredibly ugly and one of the best laid-out and paced comics currently available. A real masterwork in paneling despite the awful art

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations. Here's a Venom he drew me as a gift.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That’s a sick Venom

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve recently been given a few issues of Ice Cream Man and I’ve always been a horror buff so I’m enjoying them a lot. I know back in the day there used to be horror anthology comics abound but I’m wondering what ones are still going today and are decent/good or just good on-going horror comics in general?

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 29, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Silver Coin is a horror anthology with some pretty excellent creators. Problem with anthologies is that some stories can be very hit and miss.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/the-silver-coin

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve recently been given a few issues of Ice Cream Man and I’ve always been a horror buff so I’m enjoying them a lot. I know back in the day there used to be horror anthology comics abound but I’m wondering what ones are still going today and are decent/good or just good on-going horror comics in general?

Have you tried Ice Cream Man's clown-themed spinoff Haha?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Horror anthologies:

"The Crossroads At Midnight" by Abby Howard is great, all short story comics by the same person, but she excels at using disturbing images to express some personal vulnerability/trauma in her protagonists. Still creeps me out years later.

"Razorblades" is a self-published horror anthology started by James Tynion IV. Gotta love when someone opens a big umbrella for folks to take big swings like this.

"Behind You: One-Shot Horror Stories" by Brian Coldrick & Joe Hill, been a while since I read it so my memory's fuzzy, but I gave it a high rating back in the day so it must've held up.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DC had a bunch of Joe Hill produced minis under the Hill House label that were all pretty good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I recently re-read Hickman's whole Avengers/New Avengers leadup to Secret Wars and Secret Wars itself, and now I'm interested in reading some of the Battleworld mini-series. Any of them specifically worth checking out? I've already read 1872 and have Marvel Zombies vs Age of Ultron and just plain Marvel Zonbies on my to-read list.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ibblebibble posted:

I recently re-read Hickman's whole Avengers/New Avengers leadup to Secret Wars and Secret Wars itself, and now I'm interested in reading some of the Battleworld mini-series. Any of them specifically worth checking out? I've already read 1872 and have Marvel Zombies vs Age of Ultron and just plain Marvel Zonbies on my to-read list.

Honestly, most of them. It's like the only crossover where some mini interrupted whatever other character you were reading for a few months and it was still worth reading, go with characters you like. Off the top of my head Thors and Siege were really good and tied into the main plot a little bit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

Honestly, most of them. It's like the only crossover where some mini interrupted whatever other character you were reading for a few months and it was still worth reading, go with characters you like. Off the top of my head Thors and Siege were really good and tied into the main plot a little bit.

Sweet, thanks. I'm also going to check out Hickman's X-Men stuff after all the Battleworld stuff so this should tide me over for a long time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
secret wars had a lot of hits but the ones that stick with me were a-force, siege, modok assassin, secret wars secret love, ghost racers, star-lord and kitty pride, thors, 1602 witch hunter anglea, captain marvel and the carol corp, infinity gauntlet, weirdworld

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

i liked Inferno but its probably only really interesting if you read Hopeless' Cable & X-Force series beforehand

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

i liked Inferno but its probably only really interesting if you read Hopeless' Cable & X-Force series beforehand

It's still really good even so. Domino x Colossus OTP.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Coming in after watching Spider-Verse looking for some recommendations.

I used to read Marvel stuff (not a huge reader) but I bounced hard a little while after the Ultimate universe was folded into the mainline one. I hated the constant crossovers etc.

I used to read Ultimate Spider-Man (my fav for sure), Ultimate X-Men, Ant-man, and Ms. Marvel (also Invincible, Superior Spiderman).

Looking for something street-levely with a strong emphasis on characters. Preferably Marvel (Spider-Man? Daredevil?) but for sure not DC.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'd suggest Daredevil from Waid's run to Soule's and into Zdarsky. Honestly, with the exception of the Shadowland story, you could start on the Bendis run and have over a decade of strong comics to read almost the whole way through. It is mostly street level with a few exceptions, and there are usually strong supporting casts as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I would not read current Spider-Man.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

kiminewt posted:

I used to read Marvel stuff (not a huge reader) but I bounced hard a little while after the Ultimate universe was folded into the mainline one. I hated the constant crossovers etc.

I used to read Ultimate Spider-Man (my fav for sure), Ultimate X-Men, Ant-man, and Ms. Marvel (also Invincible, Superior Spiderman).

Looking for something street-levely with a strong emphasis on characters. Preferably Marvel (Spider-Man? Daredevil?) but for sure not DC.

It's not "street level" but if you liked Ultimate Spidey and Invincible, check out Radiant Black.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Hawkeye by Kelly Thompson are two good street level books.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lucifunk posted:

I'd suggest Daredevil from Waid's run to Soule's and into Zdarsky. Honestly, with the exception of the Shadowland story, you could start on the Bendis run and have over a decade of strong comics to read almost the whole way through. It is mostly street level with a few exceptions, and there are usually strong supporting casts as well.

More like two decades, if you go Bendis --> Brubaker --> skip Diggle --> Waid --> Soule --> Zdarsky. I can't recommend these highly enough.

Air Skwirl posted:

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Hawkeye by Kelly Thompson are two good street level books.

I highly recommend these too!

I will also recommend:
Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber -- a street-level supervillain crime series with lots of hilarious humor.
Moon Knight by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey -- only six issues, but my favorite take on Moon Knight ever.
Spider-Woman by Dennis Hopeless and Javier Rodriguez -- after the initial Spider-Verse crossover mess, which only lasts a few skippable issues, it becomes a terrific street-level book with #5.

I know kiminewt said no DC, but the BEST DC book right now is an absolutely spot-on perfect street level book: Nightwing by Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know kiminewt said no DC, but the BEST DC book right now is an absolutely spot-on perfect street level book: Nightwing by Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo. I can't recommend it highly enough.

This is such a great book. The vibe is what I think has been missing for 2 decades now in Spider-Man. Just a dude helping his neighborhood out, he's got a dog and a steady girlfriend. I don't know of any Tom Taylor book that isn't excellent. Marvel or DC.

Regarding DC overall, over the past few years a lot of the talent Marvel built up during the time kiminewt stopped following comics, like Fraction's Hawkeye, Brubaker's Captain America, etc. has moved over to DC and creator owned now. I've been a Marvel over DC guy since I was a kid. In my opinion DC is putting out the stronger lineup these days.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Rental Sting posted:

I killed this thread, I apologize. But I'm going to try again: are there any good non-Man Without Fear 90s Daredevil runs or miniseries? Trying to go all in on the character and it seems like the received wisdom is to skip from Nocenti's run to Bendis, but surely some good DD stories were written in the 90s, so what are they?

Since you posted this last page, I've been reading Daredevil's book from Miller's run onward, and it's all crap so far (except for Nocenti's run); but DD #343 has an early Warren Ellis story that's a bit better than the stuff DG Chichester did. 344-350 has J.M. Dematteis writing a weird psychological story that puts Matt back in the red costume while fighting a woman who was transitioned into a man against her will. Cary Nord guest pencils a few issues and they look amazing.
I'll update here if I come across any more weird/decent stories from this era.

e: Karl Kesel's run reminds me of Waid's run, so if you like the jokey, swashbuckling DD, check it out. Lobdell has a run where DD gets mind swapped into a French artist, it's fairly good so far.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 9, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Thanks everyone. I've already read the Fraction Hawkeye and Superior Foes.

I'm gonna try Daredevil (starting with #16 I guess? No need to read before it?), Spider-Woman and *sigh* Nightwing. If I don't like Nightwing I'm never gonna even look at a DC comic again!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

kiminewt posted:

I'm gonna try Daredevil (starting with #16 I guess? No need to read before it?), Spider-Woman and *sigh* Nightwing. If I don't like Nightwing I'm never gonna even look at a DC comic again!

After that you’ll be reading Grayson in no time!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

kiminewt posted:

Try the current run of Moon Knight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Try the current run of Moon Knight.

:thunk:

(But in all seriousness, yes, do this!)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Yeah, Born Again has back story for poo poo that happens in Daredevil (that's the start of Bendis run, right?) but it's all explained in dialogue so you'll be able to figure it out. Born Again is really good comics however, so I wouldn't sleep on it if you're willing to go farther back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Born Again has back story for poo poo that happens in Daredevil (that's the start of Bendis run, right?) but it's all explained in dialogue so you'll be able to figure it out. Born Again is really good comics however, so I wouldn't sleep on it if you're willing to go farther back.

It still might be the best Daredevil story ever. If you called it your favorite comic ever I wouldn't fight you on it.