Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well this is definitely something that has been a few weeks if not months in the making. A week ago there was a BTR spotted on the Ukrainian side which was a surprise as there had been no tanks from Ukraine on the border. Now I'm wondering if that BTR was actually the Russian of freedom independence movement or whatever the hell they're calling themselves.

Why didn't they name themselves 'новороссия'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's very typical for dictatorships to have poo poo armies and decent security forces, because if it was reversed, some army guy or junta would have replaced the dictator with their own

While that may be true, what makes for a decent security force is not the same that makes for a decent military. Just because the security forces are good at quashing dissent and maintaining regime control and continuity doesn't mean they'd be better at military operations than the military.

I also don't really buy the argument that these countries deliberatedly make their armeis terrible, it's more that any decent dictator is probably gonna be using a number of strategies of ruling and dividing to prevent potentially strong opponents from emerging.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well this is definitely something that has been a few weeks if not months in the making. A week ago there was a BTR spotted on the Ukrainian side which was a surprise as there had been no tanks from Ukraine on the border. Now I'm wondering if that BTR was actually the Russian of freedom independence movement or whatever the hell they're calling themselves.

Why didn't they name themselves 'новороссия'?

Because "Novorossiya" has negative connotations due to association with Russian imperialism and the revival of the Soviet Union.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2023/05/the-ballad-of-belgorod-listing.html New Oryx list!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Randarkman posted:

While that may be true, what makes for a decent security force is not the same that makes for a decent military. Just because the security forces are good at quashing dissent and maintaining regime control and continuity doesn't mean they'd be better at military operations than the military.

I also don't really buy the argument that these countries deliberatedly make their armeis terrible, it's more that any decent dictator is probably gonna be using a number of strategies of ruling and dividing to prevent potentially strong opponents from emerging.

they absolutely make their armies poo poo on purpose

idiot yes men loyal to the regime get promoted over more competent officers and in some countries dictators also make their relatives generals, and this leads to poo poo armies

e: yeah, the security forces aren't good against other armies, their function is different

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Budzilla posted:

This announcement is very funny. I am not sure what the whole point of this incursion would be apart from a distraction to Ukraine's (claimed) near future counter-offensive? It seems like a very risky thing to do that would backfire badly for the participants.

Putin will probably have to divert more troops and more heavy equipment to the border now. That's troops and equipment that's not going to be on the front fighting. Pretty decent payoff.

Ukraine is very lucky that the modern Russian military is so stupid and incompetent.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Randarkman posted:

it's true they don't set out with the intent to make their armies poo poo, it's more "I am trying to ensure my personal safety", but in effect that IS deliberately making your army terrible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

Because "Novorossiya" has negative connotations due to association with Russian imperialism and the revival of the Soviet Union.

I know it's a joke. But lol @ Russia having separatists rise up

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I guess maybe it is hopeful thinking, but a year ago everyone knew there were issues with the RAF but I don't think anyone predicted it was THIS bad, so maybe all it's going to take is a good punch in the mouth from some separatists and we will see that :fireman:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Too literate for the greenskins. Flash posers.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1660716981325012999

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Why is Russia escalating this situation

Don’t they know that war bad?

Have they not considered peace talks with this Freedom of Russia Legion?

Why is putin not meeting with Lula Da Silva on this matter

Anyone who disagrees with this is a bloodthirsty lib.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hundreds of militiamen. Man oh man. Let's hope that they are pulling as much as they can towards Belgorod and plan to have more uprisings once the military is distracted.

SLAVA....the Belgorod peoples republic of the independent confederation of post federal russia?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hundreds of militiamen. Man oh man. Let's hope that they are pulling as much as they can towards Belgorod and plan to have more uprisings once the military is distracted.

SLAVA....Russia?

They could use a few Abrams and an F-16 or two.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1660707235683549185
chalk up a second BTR to the Russian Legion's tally.

Confused Oryx noises ensue. :stare:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deteriorata posted:

They could use a few Abrams and an F-16 or two.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. give the people's republic of Belgorod a Gerald Ford class.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1660720979729948673

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Randarkman posted:

the Russian army is absolutely intentionally weakened by the state - especially in terms of its political influence, the police state is very solidly established above them in the pecking order in every way f.ex. Russian army bases regularly have to pay protection money to the fuckin mob, that's how big of chumps they are domestically

the problem they've had is that intentional crippling stacked onto the unintentional crippling from corruption which ended up being far greater in effect

they tried deploying some rosgvardia early on near Kyiv, intending to occupy territory, and the elements they sent got wiped because they're trained in crowd control stuff & were equipped for it too (think riot control gear instead of ballistic protection)

they're better paid than the RUAF are & have better equipment and undergo more training, but they're specialized for domestic situations and not suited to fighting pitched battles against uniformed armies at all, but there's a lot of them, 700k~ (and afaik they do have highpower weaponry of their own like artillery & armor so they're not like, entirely a bunch of dudes with batons )

another important detail with the rosgv. is they report directly to Putin, not to the Russian armed forces, or the Russian Federation

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Can’t believe Russia is prolonging this invasion of its territory by not instantly surrendering to Russia. Bloodthirsty liberals.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/TomaszB07790792/status/1660714925486923777
If the two BTRs wasn't bad enough, apparently they skylarked off with a T-72 too.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Russia should send diplomats, not tanks and fighter jets.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 22, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I'm morbidly curious to see what Russia will do. Either continue their obliterate-everything-with-artillery tactics on Russian villages or drive the insurgents rebels freedom fighters back with well-planned, coordinated and skilled combined arms warfare.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/TomaszB07790792/status/1660714925486923777
If the two BTRs wasn't bad enough, apparently they skylarked off with a T-72 too.

:lol:

Did they just leave this poo poo out?

Holy poo poo how bad is security behind the border?

Is every loving available soldier in Bakhmut/ guarding Crimea

Lmao what even is the Russian military

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CommieGIR posted:

What's VDV doing?!

Decomposing, mostly.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
U guys think that dude the old lady gave the sunflower seeds to is still alive?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1660724130067390479?s=20

Good thread.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm woefully uninformed here and this thread goes long, but can someone clear this up - So this Freedom of Russia thing is real? There's a uhhh squad, or a number of Russian citizens fighting against Putin from inside Russia? Or is this some sort of show

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nobody here knows yet.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm woefully uninformed here and this thread goes long, but can someone clear this up - So this Freedom of Russia thing is real? There's a uhhh squad, or a number of Russian citizens fighting against Putin from inside Russia? Or is this some sort of show

That appears to be the case.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yes.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1660713232372211713?s=20

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I just care about human life. Russia should have a ceasefire with Russia and sit down with Russia at the negotiating table. Taking arms from Russia and fighting against Russia is just what the Russian war machine wants.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Some Cardassian Liberation Front poo poo happening right now

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

I just care about human life. Russia should have a ceasefire with Russia and sit down with Russia at the negotiating table. Taking arms from Russia and fighting against Russia is just what the Russian war machine wants.

Maybe Russia should just leave Russia, then.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

War bad.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Putin better not nuke the Belgorod.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Or is this some sort of show

It's clearly a scripted event ordered by the comedian to distract from the immortal victory at Bakhmut.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's an international brigade in the Ukrainian military that consists of mostly Russian volunteers. They did a pretty big raid into Russian territory, possibly the biggest to date. Nothing more is known yet.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

So if these fellows in the Freedom of Russia group are really Ukrainians doing a psy op, could they tell from the accents? I know many Ukrainians speak Russian, but would it be like a bunch of Welsh-accented guys showing up in England?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ralph Crammed In posted:

So if these fellows in the Freedom of Russia group are really Ukrainians doing a psy op, could they tell from the accents? I know many Ukrainians speak Russian, but would it be like a bunch of Welsh-accented guys showing up in England?

The CIA trained them well, too well. Much like France and the US Government in Libya. They almost look like they're natives.