Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

You still eat too much you just have to wait till 8 pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Snarf down on that iftar.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Russia's claim that it won in Bakhmut may be meaningless — and a good sign for Ukraine's upcoming counteroffensive

So after days of denying they had lost the city now is a good sign that they did. I swear this isn't even the first time a headline like this has happened in this stupid war

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

KomradeX posted:

Russia's claim that it won in Bakhmut may be meaningless — and a good sign for Ukraine's upcoming counteroffensive

So after days of denying they had lost the city now is a good sign that they did. I swear this isn't even the first time a headline like this has happened in this stupid war

https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1660181521733484577

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's great to know they have the article format for when most of coastal Ukraine is annexed already written.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

heck, same

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

KomradeX posted:

Russia: *Captures Bakhmut*

The media: "Ha ha: now the Ukrainians have them surrounded, masterful!"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

KomradeX posted:

zelensky said during the G7 that russia had not occupied the city, so every other head of state had to nod along and agree to avoid upsetting decorum and the media followed suit, so now it’s just “confusion” who owns the city

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
This sort of cope is funny, but normal. You go back to WWII German newspapers and you read the same poo poo about how this or that eastern city falling to the Soviets just sets them up for the inevitable brilliant counteroffensive.

Hell, there's probably one about Bakhmut, or at least about Kiev.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

This sort of cope is funny, but normal. You go back to WWII German newspapers and you read the same poo poo about how this or that eastern city falling to the Soviets just sets them up for the inevitable brilliant counteroffensive.

Ahh so Ukraine is just emulating their heroes

The article I posted is literally doing that they say losing Bakhmut means now the Russians have to defend it in the Summer offensive

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KomradeX posted:

Ahh so Ukraine is just emulating their heroes

The article I posted is literally doing that they say losing Bakhmut means now the Russians have to defend it in the Summer offensive

Well, the Western press, but your point stands.

Gotta remember that the West hasn't lost a military fight since Vietnam so being on the losing end of a war isn't something the press over here knows how to handle, either professionally or psychologically. Even being driven out of Afghanistan was met with a lot of, "Did we really lose in Afghanistan?" sorts of angst.

Zeroisanumber has issued a correction as of 14:07 on May 22, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Such a tired, ice cold take these days.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Well, the Western press, but your point stands.

Gotta remember that the West hasn't lost a military fight since Vietnam so being on the losing end of a war isn't something the press over here knows how to handle, either professionally or psychologically. Even being driven out of Afghanistan was met with a lot of, "Did we really lose in Afghanistan?" sorts of angst.

Don’t forget, we didn’t lose in Vietnam, we were stabbed in the back by cowardly obstructionist leftists who turned the populace against the war effort and forced the government’s hand. If we just let the military do what it needed to do (e.g. invade and/or nuke North Vietnam), we wouldn’t have had our winning streak ruined.

There’s enough people who believe this that Kerry got successfully attacked for vaguely questioning it as late as 2004.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
those troops were also fragging their officers by russian/chinese vietcong bots

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

The typical household in the census’s bottom quintile spends twice as much as the income the bureau counts. These household members live in more space than middle-class Europeans, and own appliances unknown to the wealthy of a generation ago.

Ah cool someone wrote an entire book on the Fox News "99% of ``poors'' have a fridge!" meme.

Also, finally SV found someone who appreciates moving fast and breaking things, but maybe they're still moving too fast?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1660403887839248385

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
theranos missiles

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

UK youtube loves pushing the war and i saw a good thumbnail saying "Is ukraine waiting until it gets enough fighter jets to start the counter attack?" like yeah ukraine must be holding back if they havent immediately overpowered their much, much larger aggressor.
thats the only explanation

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Some Guy TT posted:

The typical household in the census’s bottom quintile spends twice as much as the income the bureau counts. These household members live in more space than middle-class Europeans, and own appliances unknown to the wealthy of a generation ago.

Democrats will soon add "access to appliances" as a reason to vote for them

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Palladium posted:

theranos missiles

how about a missile/weapons contractor startup called Thanatos?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I remember there was that one US FOB, in the Korengal I think, that was pretty comprehensively overrun with heavy US casualties and even then people were scrambling to explain why that wasn't a defeat, even though it was abandoned and the US ended their presence in that valley.

Multiple times in Vietnam where US forces were defeated, again always explained away. A few instances in Iraq when US units were defeated, not just REMFs like Jessica Lynch's unit either iirc.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a feeling they'd run into a lot more people who were pro-burn-everything-down if their man in the street wasn't usually the head of the chamber of commerce in some town in texas, undisclosed

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

I remember there was that one US FOB, in the Korengal I think, that was pretty comprehensively overrun with heavy US casualties and even then people were scrambling to explain why that wasn't a defeat, even though it was abandoned and the US ended their presence in that valley.

Multiple times in Vietnam where US forces were defeated, again always explained away. A few instances in Iraq when US units were defeated, not just REMFs like Jessica Lynch's unit either iirc.

US Troops working out of the Korengal Valley were bled to the tune of 40+ dead and hundreds wounded, but that was over time from guerilla attacks not one big thing. That was the same place that Heatherington filmed Restropro back in 2008, before he got killed in an artillery strike while filming in Libya during the civil war there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zeroisanumber posted:

reminds me of the classic joke about reports of Napoleon's advances on Paris

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

UK youtube loves pushing the war and i saw a good thumbnail saying "Is ukraine waiting until it gets enough fighter jets to start the counter attack?" like yeah ukraine must be holding back if they havent immediately overpowered their much, much larger aggressor.

I love how often I get youtube videos from poo poo like Task and Purpose about how X Soviet/ Russian weapon is actually garbage and how something like the Bradley is better than you think

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Its great how powerful the domestic propaganda and censorship has been that I can't recall any of that ever happeneinf or being mentioned. The closest I can think of if that Navy Seal whos whole unit got owned but him cause he hid or something

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KomradeX posted:

Its great how powerful the domestic propaganda and censorship has been that I can't recall any of that ever happeneinf or being mentioned. The closest I can think of if that Navy Seal whos whole unit got owned but him cause he hid or something

Mark Luttrell. He's an absolute piece of poo poo whose unit got smoked loving around where they shouldn't have been and then hid out with an Afghani family whom the Taliban decided to leave alone because they already had the rest of his unit in the bag and figured it wasn't worth starting a feud with a whole village in order to get him.

Later he wrote a book about it which was a pack of loving lies and Marky Mark made a movie based on it. He also absolutely stiffed the man who saved his life.

Last I heard he was the political protoge of Rick Perry, but a lot of poo poo about his Afghan adventures has become public knowledge since and he probably can't stand the scrutiny of a real-deal political campaign.

gently caress that guy.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Mark Luttrell. He's an absolute piece of poo poo whose unit got smoked loving around where they shouldn't have been and then hid out with an Afghani family whom the Taliban decided to leave alone because they already had the rest of his unit in the bag and figured it wasn't worth starting a feud with a whole village in order to get him.

Later he wrote a book about it which was a pack of loving lies and Marky Mark made a movie based on it. He also absolutely stiffed the man who saved his life.

Last I heard he was the political protoge of Rick Perry, but a lot of poo poo about his Afghan adventures has become public knowledge since and he probably can't stand the scrutiny of a real-deal political campaign.

gently caress that guy.

Well you know the guy is an absloute piece of poo poo cause hes a Navy SEAL. Shame he didnt get got with the rest of his murderer buddies

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Lutrell is the one who claimed the rest of his squad was defeated in an epic firefight where they must have bravely smoked at least 50 hajjis before getting overwhelmed

turned out the taliban was filming the whole thing, lost zero fighters, and lutrell hadn't fired a shot but did run away and fall down a hill, which kept him from getting shot like the rest of his battle buddies

Lutrell also said his squad was only discovered after helicopter insertion because they came across a family of afghans, took a vote on whether to massacre them all, decided against it, adn the family ran to the taliban and revealed their position. he called it the worst mistake of his life to not just murder a bunch of civilians.

in reality, there was no vote (military units are famous for democratically deciding on courses of action), and the taliban knew exactly where they were from the moment they landed because they couldnt have been less subtle if they tried

an afghan saved his life and lutrell lied about him and smeared him in his best selling book purchased by your round hog uncles in USA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1660678113322323969

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

it’s been over a year of nonstop victories and mowing down endless waves of Russians, and we aren’t hearing of a new Russian mobilization, so the only possible conclusion is that Russia is almost done for. The real question is, when will Ukraine drop the final, killing blow?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

accelerationism ftw

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ukraine's been charging their super meter and is waiting for the right whiff to punish

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This guy knows what’s up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It was Kamdesh, in Nuristan Province.

"The Battle of Kamdesh took place during the war in Afghanistan. It occurred on October 3, 2009, when a force of 400 Taliban assaulted the American Combat Outpost ("COP") Keating near the town of Kamdesh in Nuristan Province in eastern Afghanistan. The attack was the bloodiest battle for US forces since the Battle of Wanat in July 2008, which occurred 20 miles (32 km) away from Kamdesh. The attack on COP Keating resulted in 8 Americans killed and 27 wounded while the Taliban suffered an estimated 150 killed.
As a result of the battle, COP Keating was partially overrun and nearly destroyed. Observation Post ("OP") Fritsche was attacked simultaneously, limiting available support from that position. The Coalition forces withdrew from the base shortly after the battle."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Withdrew shortly after the battle" is a top tier euphemism

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

this wouldn't have happened if they had the horses from that one movie, horses are so op

e: i forgot those guys also had chris hemsworth, that's overkill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvxm8Vqif5o

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 19:23 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Best Friends posted:

it’s been over a year of nonstop victories and mowing down endless waves of Russians, and we aren’t hearing of a new Russian mobilization, so the only possible conclusion is that Russia is almost done for. The real question is, when will Ukraine drop the final, killing blow?

Russia's been losing so hard and so consistently through the entire war, that it's quite the puzzle how they're still in Ukraine at all, let alone advancing. Oh well, best not to think about it too hard! :downs: