Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bring in dave and gareth from the dollop and make it a cacophony of noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

rotinaj posted:

Without an egg head to incite them, they’d probably talk about tiling their bathrooms or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

rotinaj posted:

Maybe you show anger and frustration differently from other people

Jordan probably doesn't show anger and frustration that way normally either to be fair, and it's pretty apparent he's being more free with his reactions as part of his role on the show. Which is less "I know nothing about Alex Jones" at this point than "I know nothing about what Dan's about to show me about Alex Jones, and can thus react emotionally in the moment to what I'm being shown while Dan is reacting logically based on hours of research".

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 12, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

rotinaj posted:

Yo that one guest episode they did was good enough I’d love a few more.

Gareth realizing halfway through that it was a perfectly average episode and losing his mind is a top 100 comedy moment for me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Didn’t we just have the “performative self talk” over in the Doughboys thread?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If there is one thing I am mildly curious about from going into past episodes, I wonder how much his Sandy Hook denialism was informed by the Columbine revisionism we've heard thus far. Granted, going all the way back into '99 for it is likely off the table, so it likely only exists in bits and pieces from what is available, but it does draw my attention whenever it happens.

The first Sandy Hook conspiracist Jones had on was a JFK assassination denialist, so obviously these various strains of conspiracism do inform each other. I'm just wondering if there is any method for bringing that to a more academically-viable point overall.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There is a series of episode exploring exactly that in great detail. So you are in luck, it's just >24h of podcast. :sun:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

Humans in general, I'd say. I know I certainly do, and a lot of people I know definitely seem like they have at times too. I'd hazard a guess you do too, frankly, even if you have to stop and think about your interactions with people in order to find some instances of it. If anything, it seems more of an attempt to sound intelligent to say that you consider everything you ever say before you ever speak, and don't just react at least sometimes.

My point is I and likely most people here don't have the confidence or whatever to spit ball an improv rant about something they don't know that literally makes no sense or is related to what was being discussed beforehand and that seems to occur either every other Jordan response. That's annoying to listen to!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Morroque posted:

If there is one thing I am mildly curious about from going into past episodes, I wonder how much his Sandy Hook denialism was informed by the Columbine revisionism we've heard thus far. Granted, going all the way back into '99 for it is likely off the table, so it likely only exists in bits and pieces from what is available, but it does draw my attention whenever it happens.

The first Sandy Hook conspiracist Jones had on was a JFK assassination denialist, so obviously these various strains of conspiracism do inform each other. I'm just wondering if there is any method for bringing that to a more academically-viable point overall.

Feels like all roads lead to the Oklahoma City bombing. It's striking listening to those episodes how the same blueprint used for that was used for Sandy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

There is a series of episode exploring exactly that in great detail. So you are in luck, it's just >24h of podcast. :sun:

Is it a knowledge fight subseries? How does one search for these episodes, did they have a special name?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It starts at #266 and continues in the following 2012 and 2013 episodes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

rotinaj posted:

Is it a knowledge fight subseries? How does one search for these episodes, did they have a special name?

You mean the Sandy Hook miniseries that starts with 266?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, i thought that KF had done a miniseries focusing on alex’s reaction to columbine and how that went over time, not that folks were referring to sandy hook.

I don’t really want to listen to a bunch of stuff on sandy hook, for obvious reasons

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ah sorry.

There’s very little of Jones from that long ago that’s digitally available. Stuff like that is why Dan wants old episodes on VHS.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Totally fair but i had this mental image of dan finding clips from during the time periods we have, but tracing alex starting at one, somewhat simple conspiracy theory and winding up deep into the crisis actors and fake shootings bullshit that he does now

Entirely on me for reading this thread immediately after waking up and not being fully awake

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just to confirm your suspicion though, what you're talking about is basically the conclusion of the series. They start out looking to find the first moment when he denies Sandy Hook, but it basically turns out that his initial coverage of Sandy Hook was the same as the Boston Bombing and how he covered other shootings at the time. To the point that they give up before he explicitly denies Sandy Hook, since he doesn't have to. He's using all the same keywords and arguments that he used to signal conspiracies around the others and that the listeners are prepped to hear.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The thing is, Alex clearly has copies of all the media he's ever done. He claimed he couldn't provide the Sandy Hook plaintiffs with discovery because the YouTube deplatforming destroyed the archived, but when Moyers wanted to make a puff-piece documentary about him, suddenly all the stuff turned up again. Like magic.

When the bankruptcy starts liquidating FSS at auction, Dan may have a narrow opportunity to get that cache for himself.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know, I am starting to think this Alex Jones fella might be a bad egg

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think we need to have bingo cards made for when Dan does deep research on news stories and weirdos that come up on Infowars.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I think we need to have bingo cards made for when Dan does deep research on news stories and weirdos that come up on Infowars.

How about a bingo card for when someone has a weirdly coincidental username, person whose username just was a trivia answer for dan

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

In the dumb skit on the Crowder show, did he really say he, "speaks a little Bravarian(sic)... enough to get around town"?

I mean, I know he said that because I rewound twice to check. But loving excuse me?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

In the dumb skit on the Crowder show, did he really say he, "speaks a little Bravarian(sic)... enough to get around town"?

I mean, I know he said that because I rewound twice to check. But loving excuse me?

Don’t be so weird, he just knows a little bit of german, not like that has to do with his interests or anything

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yep! Though admittedly I’ve always heard of Bavaria being the Texas of Germany.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bavaria isn't Germany anyway.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Antigravitas posted:

Bavaria isn't Germany anyway.

It’s every bit as much Germany as Texas is the US.

And not a single bit more.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I generally describe Bavaria as the Scotland of Germany. It's more accurate to how no one can actually understand us while still having the "we don't actually want be in this country, gently caress you" and being violent drunks. Also avoids associating with Texas which is always a plus.

But I was more wondering what the gently caress that has to do with the rest of the "joke" (and the possible white nationalist signaling).

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think I have officially listened to every episode of Knowledge Fight. I don't know exactly when it happened but I'm sitting here listening to voicemails from a bunch of Australian listeners tell us how to pronounce 'Quokka' and I know I've heard this before.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
its pronounced kUO-kah

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

rotinaj posted:

How about a bingo card for when someone has a weirdly coincidental username, person whose username just was a trivia answer for dan

Hey, you know what? You can go...

*elevator music*

(This post edited by mods. Read the uncensored post on Rumble!

With a goddamm pig!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Every time I see Crowder I inwardly cringe at such an extreme expression of fragile masculinity and insecurity. His lack of self-awareness is kind of staggering.

This doofus wears a gun holster, has a pistol paperweight or whatever it is on his desk and from what I remember there's a humidor there too cause cigars = manly, I guess? Reminds me of that Davis Aurini twerp and his whiskey sipping.

It blows my mind that there is ANYONE out there that doesn't see that poo poo for what it is, let alone thousands of them happy enough to make his schtick as lucrative as it is. Then again, from what I hear, his show is basically Babby's First Alt-Right Talkshow and it heavily caters to literal children (and manchildren, I guess.) Hook them early for a lifetime of brainwashing and grifting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Aurini’s loving skull lol.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Some people are just a father’s failure at raising a grown man. That’s how I phrase it to incur maximum daddy-issue button pushing.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I dunno about the father thing. For some people I guess it might be an issue, but I never really had any older males in my life to show me what "being a man" was (My old man was around but never showed much interest) and I didn't turn into a fragile alt-right shithead.

Some people just seem developmentally deficient as far as I can tell. They form an idea of what "manly" is when they're a kid and just never go back to re-examine themselves or their ideas. Which can happen to anyone but is particularly common among the alt-right. That lack of self awareness or any desire to self-reflect or examine long-held or "traditional" beliefs.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It’s a phrase designed to push that kind of dude’s buttons.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah that kind of behavior is too complex to be monocausal.

A whole bunch of things can turn you into a frothing little weirdo.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'd personally guess that it's more a case of it being really difficult to signal masculinity in the way that they want. The closest thing to their "true" stated ideal would just be a dude in a slightly dirty dress shirt and jeans/slacks who worked a blue-collar job. But then they might be mistaken for poor and also most of them couldn't pull it off without looking stupid. Typical country signaling can't work because they want to come across as the smartest guy in the room and you can't maintain that if you go past guns and pickups. So you're stuck with their weird foggy memories of a TV Dad's study to signal that they're refined men with old-fashioned values who do manly things like sip bourbon and smoke cigars.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Drilling deeper, it all seems to stem from a deep desire to be perceived in the way they prefer, but only by doing the lowest effort poo poo.

And when the measures they take to affect that image are rightfully ridiculed and laughed at, rather than readjusting and self examining, they keep doubling down until they are wearing a shoulder holster on a talk show.

They remedy any criticism by insisting they are triggering the libs, therefore it's all fine and actually good.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It’s cargo cult masculinity.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s cargo cult masculinity.

Yeah, it’s this

Their mental image of masculinity is james dean, indiana jones, james bond

Handsome manly men who drink whiskey and have guns handy at all times because they are dangerous and cool and need to be able to defend themselves. They don’t notice the part where bond is an abusive psychopath or jones is defending the world from nazis and is a schoolteacher otherwise, those parts aren’t manly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's been a while since I've had to do any undergraduate-level gender studies, but one of the few books I was ever able to find that talked about masculinity from a feminist perspective had this thesis about a... I don't actually know if they gave an exact term for it, but it was like an "expressionism collapse." The jist of it is throughout history, there was never any platonic form of what "masculinity" was, but instead there existed "masculinities" in the plural. During this time, if one needed to assert masculinity in some fashion, there were multiple avenues of action one could reasonably take. All of the masculinities and forms thereof were quite different from one another, so if one didn't work for you, then at least you had other options.

The collapse came when this balance of multiple different masculinities stopped existing, and people began to consider the idea of "masculinity" as this singular blob of ascribed qualities. There are multiple reasons for why this collapse of allowed expression happened, ranging from historical shifts to side effects from the adoption of mass media. That second guess seems to be the general bet, because the collapse happened to both genders at the same time. I don't quite remember which wave of feminism brought the topic to the fore, but one of them took issue with how media representations of ideal body type was pidgeon-holing women into this highly regimented system of expectations which was so extreme, only a small fraction of women would ever have the ability or means to achieve it even for a limited amount of time. (Which is a bad thing when all of culture treats it as the only allowed option for everyone to take.) The authors of those masculinity studies books which I found suggested that, even when accounting for the Capital-P Patriarchy, this overall flattening effect happened with men too. If you wanted to "be a man" in the normative sense, you had less options available to you in the modern day than the older generations did, and there was a nonzero chance that the only possible form of masculinity available just wasn't going to be something that would ever be viable for you. ... all because so many other forms of masculinity (and femininity) had gone extinct.

If the figures of our observation weren't so lazy and intellectually incurious, their mismatched masculinity issues could be easily solved. They could ask what they want from their masculinity, interrogate why they want it, consider what options they have available, set expectations for what they want their masculinity to do with what effects it has on people other than themselves, and possibly come up with something genuinely supportive and positive. However, such would take genuine introspection and continued effort, which their media business does not allow, even if they were personally capable of it. ... and so they, and their audiences, will keep chasing after half-remembered shadows.