Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

For those of you wishing to change Cal's hair color, or have two different colored sabers (only for PC)

Rejoice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
There was a PC glitch where light sabers were throwing off different color glows and reflections. Like Cal would have a red blade, but a blue glow reflecting off his face. People were bitching, but I thought it was sick as gently caress. That would be rad in a movie.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I love the angled vents.

Also it's all about the space revolver chic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Darth Vader fight was cool at first, but now it's really killing the pacing after the 6th time. The details of it aren't even that hard, but he hits hard enough that you don't have much room for mistakes (and sometimes parries just randomly won't go off, or he'll throw stuff at me from an angle where I can't see it).

edit: Okay, finally got it. That was kind of annoying.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 22, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This Darth Vader fight was cool at first, but now it's really killing the pacing after the 6th time. The details of it aren't even that hard, but he hits hard enough that you don't have much room for mistakes (and sometimes parries just randomly won't go off, or he'll throw stuff at me from an angle where I can't see it).

edit: Okay, finally got it. That was kind of annoying.

Was honestly my least favorite fight. They were going for a pure attack and parry Sekiro-style fight but this game's parry mechanics aren't quite tight enough to make that enjoyable, at least for me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Btw regarding (very late game big spoiler) Bode's betrayal, I hope it doesn't end up being the case that the Empire is holding his daughter hostage or something. It would work better as "an action with an excuse, but one that isn't justifiable" if it's a "he just thought this would better guarantee their safety in the future" situation.

Guess I'll find out soon.

Skippy McPants posted:

Was honestly my least favorite fight. They were going for a pure attack and parry Sekiro-style fight but this game's parry mechanics aren't quite tight enough to make that enjoyable, at least for me.

Yeah; a lot of the time my parries failed (which wasn't often, but when it did happen he'd take off almost half my health in a single hit) I was just sort of confused and couldn't figure out how my timing was off.

The move where he throws stuff at you also sucks, especially when he uses it immediately after a phase change (when I'm not locked onto him yet). The time I won I just lucked into him never even using that ability.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 22, 2023

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I really like the burnt titanium look. I also had a sense that Cal would keep at least part of his master's saber while piecing together another out of parts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently I still have at least one segment left to the game.

This has been a very fun game. It's like if the original Jedi Fallen Order had roughly 20x as much actual meaningful content, both in the main campaign and elsewhere.

It's kind of funny how Cal has his "going back from the dark side" moment with the Imperial commander guy, immediately after killing roughly 170 people on the way there (and he even had the exact same self-defense excuse if he wanted to kill the commander lol).

I only partially understand Bode's explanation of stuff. I get why he was spying on them to begin with, but I don't understand the part where he's like "I was excited about Tanalor until you decided to move the Hidden Path there." The latter implies that he had some way of safely getting his daughter out of the base (minus all the shenanigans with Cal killing everyone that he used in the game's events, anyways), but it's not clear to me why bringing the Hidden Path folks along suddenly becomes a deal-breaker. If he was always going to betray them it would have made sense, but I don't understand why that specific thing was the issue.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's because he assumed that if they did that the Empire would inevitably find them, a couple of people dropping off the grid is untraceable, less so running an underground railroad for Force sensitives.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm mad that after buying this new set of metals and textured rubber from Zee, I learn that they can only be used on the droid. Was looking forward to having more rubber options for my lightsaber grip (I have a bumpy rubber one, but it looks kinda weird)! As is I'm basically stuck with the dark rubber from one of the starter sets.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's because he assumed that if they did that the Empire would inevitably find them, a couple of people dropping off the grid is untraceable, less so running an underground railroad for Force sensitives.

Thanks, that makes sense. I hadn't considered the whole "people would need to be traveling to/from Tanalor on a regular basis, creating a big vulnerability" angle. While his current plan still has the problem of "the Empire/Cal being after him," given what he knows it makes sense to gamble on there not being any other way to navigate to Tanalor.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 22, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of funny how Cal has his "going back from the dark side" moment with the Imperial commander guy, immediately after killing roughly 170 people on the way there (and he even had the exact same self-defense excuse if he wanted to kill the commander lol).

The stormtroopers were armed and they died fighting on their feet. Cal was using the Dark Side to Hulk Out. The ISB commander had been disarmed and was completely at Cal’s mercy. His only excuse for killing the officer with the Force was that he felt like it. Cal is a human buzz saw on the battlefield, but he is not a murder.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw yeah, I found a pistol that's straight up just a 50s ray gun type thing, looks fantastic and unlike anything else. Gonna give it all the chrome. Allllllllllllllll of it!

Considering how you can barely even see the details on the sabres and pistols 95% of the time, it's silly how excited I get whenever I find new parts/designs.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I just got to (big plot) Bode not only being a traitor, but being a sith, which genuinely had my jaw on the floor. I figured he was probably going to steal the compass, but being a force user, genuinely surprising. I can't believe Cal Kestis is loving dead. I had to stop because my wife is also playing, and I don't want to spoil her. She just got past the second Dagan fight, so she has a few more levels to catch up.

I like how Cal, who has access to 5 lightsaber stances manages to fight at least one other character that has one of those stances.

Regarding the end of the story, is there an option to continue and do cleanup on chests and items and bounties postgame, or is that all NG+? I ask because bounties stopped spawning, and it's going to be annoying to go back and do them all on NG+.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ytlaya posted:

I'm mad that after buying this new set of metals and textured rubber from Zee, I learn that they can only be used on the droid. Was looking forward to having more rubber options for my lightsaber grip (I have a bumpy rubber one, but it looks kinda weird)! As is I'm basically stuck with the dark rubber from one of the starter sets.

You can find those sets for weapons also

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CzarChasm posted:

Regarding the end of the story, is there an option to continue and do cleanup on chests and items and bounties postgame, or is that all NG+? I ask because bounties stopped spawning, and it's going to be annoying to go back and do them all on NG+.
Everything is accessible postgame, including bounties. Some bounties are in late game locations, so you might be locked out of them for the moment, but they'll eventually open up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You can complete all the bounties before the point of no return.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CzarChasm posted:

So I just got to (big plot) Bode not only being a traitor, but being a sith, which genuinely had my jaw on the floor. I figured he was probably going to steal the compass, but being a force user, genuinely surprising. I can't believe Cal Kestis is loving dead. I had to stop because my wife is also playing, and I don't want to spoil her. She just got past the second Dagan fight, so she has a few more levels to catch up.

I like how Cal, who has access to 5 lightsaber stances manages to fight at least one other character that has one of those stances.

*in an affected nerd voice I assure you differs from my normal speaking voice.*

Technically Bode is a dark or fallen Jedi. Nothing in the text suggests he's inducted into the mysteries of the Sith.

Hell I don't even think Inquisitors know that much about the Sith ways besides "anger good compassion bad." The rule of two means you compartmentalize them away from the good secrets, they're just glorified tripwires to find fugitive Jedi.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Current over thought observation during second play through: Cal’s pistol hand is his left hand. Dagan is missing his left arm. Should I infer anything from this? No. Will I? Already have.

I also have some thoughts on Cal and Achilles, which are admittedly half-baked. They both represent the power and nature of fire, basically.

I swear Dagan is missing his right arm, not the left.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

10 Beers posted:

I swear Dagan is missing his right arm, not the left.

Yeah it's definitely his right. I played through a few times and I remember the cutscene of him losing it pretty clearly.

However OPs thematic observation still holds up as this forces him to use a "sinister" grip until he acclimated to his disability with Force lightsaber accessibility.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah it's definitely his right. I played through a few times and I remember the cutscene of him losing it pretty clearly.

However OPs thematic observation still holds up as this forces him to use a "sinister" grip until he acclimated to his disability with Force lightsaber accessibility.

Yeah, it’s his right he lost. I’m baked a lot, guys. Camus articulated what I meant: the sinister hand becomes the dominate hand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

The stormtroopers were armed and they died fighting on their feet. Cal was using the Dark Side to Hulk Out. The ISB commander had been disarmed and was completely at Cal’s mercy. His only excuse for killing the officer with the Force was that he felt like it. Cal is a human buzz saw on the battlefield, but he is not a murder.

WELL WHY DIDN'T HE SIMPLY DISARM RICK THE DOOR TECHNICIAN

(this basically just comes down to selective use of the force as a disarming tool only in cutscenes, since there's also nothing really stopping him from pulling away random stormtrooper's blasters)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 22, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

you basically gotta accept a little ludonarrative dissonance for the sake of there being a game.

I mean in the entire OT excepting the death star Luke, Han and Co directly kill like what, a couple-few dozen baddies tops?

Cal's story translated to a screenplay would probably look fairly similar.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The Light Side is ok with you slaughtering mooks as long as you don’t enjoy yourself. If, for the sake of convenience, you convince a bunch of stormtroopers that their blasters are snakes and they run away…that’s touching the Dark Side?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Named characters Cal kills are what, the tutorial boss, the bounty hunters, Rick, the two new guys, the four(?) minor saber bosses, and the final boss, right?

The general gameplay mooks shouldn't really count, unless someone wants to count them (sans the ones that reset when you rest)

Going back to the ISB Base reveals Echoes that confirm there was a canonical massacre at Cal's hands there (Or...was it Vader finishing things, since there's an echo that reveals what happened to Denvik after you left)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I just hope whatever Cal and Merrin build on Tanallor doesn’t become something dumb like the Jensaarai from the Legends EU.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

I just hope whatever Cal and Merrin build on Tanallor doesn’t become something dumb like the Jensaarai from the Legends EU.

My guess is it will actually feature in either Ahsoka or the Thrawn movie all this stuff is leading up to, as some haven of Jedi that comes under threat with maybe Kata actually becoming important, based on Cere's final message.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Fuzz posted:

My guess is it will actually feature in either Ahsoka or the Thrawn movie all this stuff is leading up to, as some haven of Jedi that comes under threat with maybe Kata actually becoming important, based on Cere's final message.

Oh, yeah. There's no doubt that this story line and the Filoniverse are going to converge and I am game for it. I think that Tanallor, if they don't blow up in the first 15 minutes of the next game, will become a hidden Force University. The Hidden's Path stated goal is to find refuge for Force sensitives and their allies. That means Tanallor is going to have a population of mixed Force traditions and ideas and new ideas will come from that. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a proper Jedi Academy situation going. As for Kata? She's going to be Nightsister 2.0, which is just Nightsister 1.0, but now with a lightsaber and more flips.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like the implication if this theory pans out that they don't invite Luke because he's a loving nerd.

Leaving him trying to recreate Catholocism whole cloth from 2 weeks of parochial school and a VHS copy of Sister Act.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like the implication if this theory pans out that they don't invite Luke because he's a loving nerd.

Leaving him trying to recreate Catholocism whole cloth from 2 weeks of parochial school and a VHS copy of Sister Act.

Poor Disney Luke didn't even get Mara Jade. His 'reward' for all his sacrifice and toil is that he got to loving evaporate like he never existed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So at the very end of the main story my first time doing the Bode boss fight I got to a point where Bode got on top of me and started punch me unconscious, and the option to press 4 to give into the darkness came up. I thought it might be a trick and didn’t do it. So I died and had to respawn. It took another couple of tries for me to win and that didn’t happen during those go throughs. Does anything change if you do?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Poor Disney Luke didn't even get Mara Jade. His 'reward' for all his sacrifice and toil is that he got to loving evaporate like he never existed.

Letting a series of separate creatives "wing it" with the relaunch trilogy for one of the most cherished IPs in history was Disney's biggest own goal in quite a while.

Like, how do you not have a DCU-style arc mapped out for the next ten years of setting canon?

Casimir Radon posted:

So at the very end of the main story my first time doing the Bode boss fight I got to a point where Bode got on top of me and started punch me unconscious, and the option to press 4 to give into the darkness came up. I thought it might be a trick and didn’t do it. So I died and had to respawn. It took another couple of tries for me to win and that didn’t happen during those go throughs. Does anything change if you do?

Nothing changes; it's just a quirk of the respawn system. Cal is canonically tempted by the dark side. Bleh.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

Nope. Someone else pointed out that respawning skips some of the cutscenes and apparently the “embrace the darkness” thing falls under that? Either way, there is no difference between using it or not on the events.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

Don't forget CHUGGING GREEN SEAL MILK.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Letting a series of separate creatives "wing it" with the relaunch trilogy for one of the most cherished IPs in history was Disney's biggest own goal in quite a while.

Like, how do you not have a DCU-style arc mapped out for the next ten years of setting canon?
Yeah, this will never cease to be a headscratcher to me. You´d think that they´d have an almost psychotic desire for polish and QA passes for the manuscripts before you even start planning anything else for such a huge franchise that is Star Wars.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fuzz posted:

Don't forget CHUGGING GREEN SEAL MILK.

this was the best part of the sequel trilogy and it will never not be funny how much nerds get hung up on it

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Skippy McPants posted:

Nothing changes; it's just a quirk of the respawn system. Cal is canonically tempted by the dark side. Bleh.

loving inexplicable. I don't want to ramp up another 50 posts about sequel hate, but without getting up my own butt about it, that trilogy isn't about letting go of the past and new beginnings. It's about the futility of struggle and the rewards it does not bring. It's a bad lesson. Not all stories have to have a happy ending, but they at least shouldn't be loving bleak. A lot of Bothans died for...nothing, really.

It still freaks me out know that Andor gets vaporized so Tim Meadows can be a lovely middle manager. That's the future Andor dies for.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

It's very confusing to me. With the third one in particular, after reading the particulars of the plot (before seeing it, which I didn't until very recently) I thought "what in the world? I can't imagine any way this could possibly not be comically terrible," and this ended up being an accurate assessment.

After the first movie I just assumed it would be typical JJ Abrams stale (but watchable) garbage. The second was just weird and inconsistent, but at least had stuff in it worth discussing (but still didn't even remotely work as part of a trilogy). But the third was just bad in a "how did this even happen?" sort of way. I don't understand what even prompted them to make some of those decisions.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

this was the best part of the sequel trilogy and it will never not be funny how much nerds get hung up on it
Luke being a giant weirdo uncle was great IMHO, it´s just a shame about the rest of the movie.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I liked (very late game spoilers) is how, when meeting Bode in the imperial base with his daughter, Cal is just like "you're a monster, Bode. you literally killed thousands of people," instead of tempering his judgement due to the presence of his daughter (or otherwise weakening his reaction, since I find that "good" characters in media are often too fast to soften their judgement in the face of any sort of sympathetic circumstances on the part of the antagonist. Cal's reaction to Dagan or Rayvis is comparatively "lighter" (and he's obviously open to them changing their minds, like when he asks Rayvis to join him), and this makes sense because neither of them have actually done anything on the scale of what Bode did to the Hidden Path people (even if they're planning on doing so, and Cal is trying to prevent it). They've definitely done a bunch of murders, but in the context of this "Wild West"-like environment on Koboh where people seem to murder each other pretty often (you encounter at least one echo of Doma murdering a prospector, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I liked (very late game spoilers) is how, when meeting Bode in the imperial base with his daughter, Cal is just like "you're a monster, Bode. you literally killed thousands of people," instead of tempering his judgement due to the presence of his daughter (or otherwise weakening his reaction, since I find that "good" characters in media are often too fast to soften their judgement in the face of any sort of sympathetic circumstances on the part of the antagonist. Cal's reaction to Dagan or Rayvis is comparatively "lighter" (and he's obviously open to them changing their minds, like when he asks Rayvis to join him), and this makes sense because neither of them have actually done anything on the scale of what Bode did to the Hidden Path people (even if they're planning on doing so, and Cal is trying to prevent it). They've definitely done a bunch of murders, but in the context of this "Wild West"-like environment on Koboh where people seem to murder each other pretty often (you encounter at least one echo of Doma murdering a prospector, for example).

Dagan and Rayvis also didn't need to be told; they knew what they were.

End game spoiler, since I can't recall if you finished the game: Bode was still deluding himself right up til that deer-in-the-headlights expression he made a split second before Cal's first blaster shot hit him.