Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Suck it up and get some Dual Lock: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B0141MQRGI

That will let you stick pretty much anything to anything else and have it be removable/adjustable. It's a little pricey but the adhesive is VHB which is some structural-grade poo poo, yet removes without residue. I used it in my office to stick webcams to the top/bottom of various TVs to make Zoom setups and they held on for years.

My 3 year old Nixeus EDG 27" inch 1440p monitor just developed a lovely red line of red pixels, from the top to the bottom, through the center of it which persists on multiple outputs and OSes. I've tried resetting it via the OSD, changing the resolution, running a pixel unsticker over parts of it, but it's probably an issue with the LCD driver/pane itself. If anyone has any other suggestions I'll gladly take them, but I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor now.

I'm looking at other 1440p/144hz ~27in monitors, mainly the the M27Q Pro (which seems like it doesn't have the BGR subpixels of the non Pro model) and the LG-27GP850-B. Anything to know about the two of them, or any other considerations in the 300-400 USD price range? The KVM functionality on the Gigabyte is really tempting since I use the monitor for my work MBP and my PC. I don't really care too much about media consumption since my usage is like 70% looking at code for work and 30% playing various games, the most demanding being Valorant and maybe FF14 if I ever get back into it (which would probably coincide with upgrading from my GTX1070).

EDIT: I should add I don't particularly care about stands, I've got a monitor arm I'd attach it to.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Thirst Mutilator posted:

My 3 year old Nixeus EDG 27" inch 1440p monitor just developed a lovely red line of red pixels, from the top to the bottom, through the center of it which persists on multiple outputs and OSes. I've tried resetting it via the OSD, changing the resolution, running a pixel unsticker over parts of it, but it's probably an issue with the LCD driver/pane itself. If anyone has any other suggestions I'll gladly take them, but I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor now.

I'm looking at other 1440p/144hz ~27in monitors, mainly the the M27Q Pro (which seems like it doesn't have the BGR subpixels of the non Pro model) and the LG-27GP850-B. Anything to know about the two of them, or any other considerations in the 300-400 USD price range? The KVM functionality on the Gigabyte is really tempting since I use the monitor for my work MBP and my PC. I don't really care too much about media consumption since my usage is like 70% looking at code for work and 30% playing various games, the most demanding being Valorant and maybe FF14 if I ever get back into it (which would probably coincide with upgrading from my GTX1070).

EDIT: I should add I don't particularly care about stands, I've got a monitor arm I'd attach it to.

My M27Q Pro arrives next week sometime, I can let you know exactly how it is if you're not sorted out by then, but from everything I've seen through exhaustive research it appears to be a really good buy, although the -x would have been my choice over the -p if there was any way to get one in South Australia. The KVM functionality appears to be really great, can't wait to not need to yank out my HDMI cable to switch between work and personal use.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

WelI, I woke up this morning and it's gone? I didn't know it could do that.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I dont have the M27q but Ive been using the M32u for both work and play. Ill report that the KVM works flawlessly. I am glad theres three usb ports. I have the usb ports plugged in for the wireless keyboard, mouse and headset. It takes literally like a couple seconds to switch from my pc to work desktop. Its amazing and I appreciate that Gigabyte puts it across their M series.

The monitor is also gorgeous and amazingly clear been having zero issues. Only thing its hard to push 144hz at 4k but I am pretty happy with the performance with a 6900 xt.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If a monitor has a built-in overclock that you can activate through a menu option, are there any potential downsides to turning it on?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone know what the best method is to get a display connected to a PC that is across the office?

We have a PC that is licensed with very expensive $15,000/month software that has a few displays hooked up where it currently sits and displays important business information. Unfortunately, I've been asked to somehow get a third display hooked up to this PC but that will be mounted across the office, too far for an HDMI cable to reach.

So far my options here are:

- HDMI/VGA over Ethernet adapters
- Chromecast
- Another PC VNCing or TeamViewering into the original PC

I want to make it as simple as possible so someone having to micromanage Chromecast or remoting into the original PC every day isn't ideal. Additionally, I've had nightmare experiences with these bullshit display over ethernet junk and having resolution issues or intermittent connectivity, etc.

Is there any other tech out there that solves this issue?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
How big is this office? You can get a 300-foot hybrid-optical displayport cable for under $300, or they'll make any custom length for around a buck per foot:
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-DisplayPort-Support-Flexible-Technology/dp/B09HZ6XP5G/

Seems to be similar for USB: https://store.unibrain.com/shop/usb-3-0-3-1-products/usb-3-0-active-optical-cables/100m-usb3-high-flex-aoc/

Aside from that you can have them remote in with Moonlight which is a billion times more responsive than Teamviewer. It uses a one-time pairing code to set up an encrypted tunnel. You'd just want a cheap 30-series card to do the encoding.

I actually use both these technologies together every day; I used to use just Moonlight for gaming, but I wanted even lower latency for FPS games so I switched to running a fiber-DP from the server and using Moonlight to transmit just the keyboard and mouse.

I assume your office workers aren't x-treme gamers though; if you try the Moonlight-only option I think they'll be unable to tell it isn't local.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 10, 2023

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

How big is this office? You can get a 300-foot hybrid-optical displayport cable for under $300

I'd say 150ft away when factoring in cable routing. I've never heard of optical dp cables. Does this get around the whole voltage drop issue with long distances?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 10, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

kiwid posted:

I'd say 100ft away when factoring in cable routing. I've never heard of optical dp cables. Does this get around the whole voltage drop issue with long distances?

Voltage only drops appreciably when the gauge of the cable isn't thick enough to handle the amps. PoE (power over ethernet) works perfectly fine at over 300 feet for example. This doesn't get around it but it does minimize it by collapsing all the data cables into an optical fiber so it can have more room in the cable for a single negative/positive power. Most USB optical cables run power/fiber together but some run only fiber and thus need additional power plugged into them on the client side. The one I linked appears to come with a client-side power injector.

DisplayPort only carries 3.3 volts for signaling, the receiving display has its own power for the rest of the display so I doubt it would be an issue. Mine at 100 feet behave identically to any other display cable. For optical USB, I did have an issue driving a webcam from it since that can take a lot of power, but mouse/keyboard always worked fine. You could just put in a single Logitech unifying receiver into it and give them a wireless logitech mouse/keyboard for example, or plug it into a powered USB hub at the client side.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 10, 2023

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Voltage only drops appreciably when the gauge of the cable isn't thick enough to handle the amps. PoE (power over ethernet) works perfectly fine at over 300 feet for example. This doesn't get around it but it does minimize it by collapsing all the data cables into an optical fiber so it can have more room in the cable for a single negative/positive power. Most USB optical cables run power/fiber together but some run only fiber and thus need additional power plugged into them on the client side. The one I linked appears to come with a client-side power injector.

DisplayPort only carries 3.3 volts for signaling, the receiving display has its own power for the rest of the display so I doubt it would be an issue. Mine at 100 feet behave identically to any other display cable. For optical USB, I did have an issue driving a webcam from it since that can take a lot of power, but mouse/keyboard always worked fine. You could just put in a single Logitech unifying receiver into it and give them a wireless logitech mouse/keyboard for example, or plug it into a powered USB hub at the client side.

Would HDMI work the same way as DP? The TV only has HDMI so I'm not sure whether I should go with an HDMI cable or a DP cable with HDMI adapter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

kiwid posted:

Would HDMI work the same way as DP? The TV only has HDMI so I'm not sure whether I should go with an HDMI cable or a DP cable with HDMI adapter.

It is easy to get a $5 dongle to change DP out to HDMI out, but can't really be done the other way around, so yeah you could get a dongle for the PC and then use an Optical HDMI.

You can actually get a 100-meter optical HDMI for half the price of the DP, presumably because they're more popular: https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-Optic-18Gbps-Subsampling/dp/B07CLJDSC7/

What again is the deal with the $15000/month workstation though? Is it some legacy or rack-mount hardware that can't take a half-height, bus-powered GPU? Because if you chuck in this $150 card you can run Sunshine/Moonlight off it and the latency over your workplace LAN would likely be imperceptible to the end user. It is absolutely nothing like the lag from Teamviewer or VNC; the stream can be less than 20ms total latency (less than the delay of many office monitors) and can run rock-solid for weeks on a LAN: https://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-Video-Graphic-VCNT400-PB/dp/B09DG5B78Z/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 10, 2023

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Protip: you can get secondhand optical dvi transmitter/receivers on ebay for a lot less than optical hdmi versions.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

What again is the deal with the $15000/month workstation though?[/url]

It's actually just a standard PC. It's the software that is $15000/month (futures and options trading).

I've never heard of Moonlight but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

kiwid posted:

It's actually just a standard PC. It's the software that is $15000/month (futures and options trading).

I've never heard of Moonlight but I'll check it out. Thanks.

There's a Discord for it and they're pretty helpful if a little sassy. Sunshine can run on the server PC as a service and can be stable enough for production at this point.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The PC Building thread saved me from blundering into just buying whatever for a new monitor and advised me to pop in here for some advice. Here's what I got going on. My current monitor is an old Sceptre 1080p (I think) that's in good working order, so I'll keep it around as a backup. I just got all the parts to build a new PC after 7 or so years of life out of my current one and I think the most relevant info is the graphics card which is a Radeon 6700XT. Also usage for the system is general purpose home computing, I am NOT a hard-core FPS speedy fast gotta hit that sniper 360noscope nonsense. I play stardew valley and KSP.

After fumbling around with reading up on monitors and getting totally cross-eyed at lots of new technologies I nearly got a bargain-bin monitor, and since right now I'd rather focus on my garden than spending loads of time reading about monitors and freesync (apparently not just a marketing term) I humbly ask for some help in finalizing a choice.

My desires are 1440p, 24-27 inch monitor with 75-100mm VESA mount, under $200 if possible, two HDMI ports would also be nice so I can plug in my switch and leave it without swapping cables. Reliability.
Things I don't really know about : Freesync and other little techs. Dials to fine-tune things, probably will leave them at default. I know that some of these are important, but I certainly don't know what.
Things I don't think I care about : Refresh rate, view angle, and other gamer-specific stuff. I just don't play those games at that level, it certainly isn't worth my money to prioritize this kind of thing.

I've narrowed it down to I think an LG or a Samsung monitor, I'll post links in a bit but let me get this post up so I can get feedback. Tons of thanks in advance for the help.

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?
I know that you said you weren't into FPS stuff and high refresh rate but there is one on sale which is actually a pretty good monitor for that price range.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B...aps%2C87&sr=8-6

By spending an extra $50 you get a monitor without having to make any compromises on the resolution, panel type, size, etc. and get a lot of extra stuff on top.

You obviously keep your monitors for a long time and this monitor is pretty much a non-compromise approach to what you requested with some extra goodies on top that you might or might not care about.

IPS monitor
2 HDMI + 1 display port
1440P
27 inches
VESA 100mm

I don't know what kind of refresh rate your previous monitor had but once you go from 60hz to like 144hz, you will see a difference even while moving windows around on the desktop.

My girlfriend has a similar model but in 1080P and she has been using it for the last 3-4 years and it has been flawless, and she plays games like Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher, etc.

Mr. Torrance fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 19, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

El Spamo posted:

Things I don't really know about : Freesync and other little techs. Dials to fine-tune things, probably will leave them at default. I know that some of these are important, but I certainly don't know what.
Things I don't think I care about : Refresh rate, view angle, and other gamer-specific stuff. I just don't play those games at that level, it certainly isn't worth my money to prioritize this kind of thing.

I tried to explain this to you in the other thread but even though you don't currently care about a high refresh rate, it, along with variable refresh rate tech, are the new standard, and you don't really get one without the other. Any decent monitor you should be looking at will have both. Any monitors that don't have them are either low budget or limited feature displays designed just for office use, or other niche applications like very high end 4k screens with great colour accuracy for visual artists.

With a 6700xt you're leaving huge amounts of performance on the table if you hamstring it with a lovely 75hz non-VRR monitor, which is what you were looking at before. I'm not trying to railroad you here but it just doesn't make sense to build a nice gaming PC then cheap out on the thing through which literally all of your interaction takes place. Stretching the budget an extra $50 to get you a much, much better monitor experience that you can use for the next 7 years or whatever just seems like a no-brainer. You don't have be a twitch fps gamer to enjoy these kinds of screens - as has been pointed out they make just general office and desktop use feel much smoother.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

No matter what game you play you’re going to want to make sure the top half of your monitor lines up with the bottom half of your monitor and that’s what “variable refresh rate” fixes.

you absolutely want AMD free sync or Nvidia certification

Without that technology, it’s very possible when you move around inside of a game that not your entire screen will refresh at the same rate, which looks absolutely horrific.

We call the phenomenon “screen tearing” because if you have a tree it will look like it is torn in half because the top half of your screen will show the tree slightly to the right of where the bottom half of your screen says where the tree is.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ah right, yeah I'm realizing that it all comes as a package. I'm on board now.
Dinking around with a stubborn installer at the moment, but dang it was fun getting my hands dirty mucking around with hardware.

e: We're online! Everything's looking good.
@Butterfly, thanks a ton for your patience, I've come around and I'm taking yours and others' advice. The LG a couple posts ahead looks like it fits the bill for all the things you're talking about. I'm going to take a few days to get everything settled with the new system, then upgrade my monitor.

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 19, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I know this is somewhat subjective to each person, but for those who use them, is 32" large enough for 4K to be at 100% scaling for stuff like Excel, PDF editing, etc?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I use 125% scaling at 4k on 32". At 100% I feel like I have to lean in to read text.

I still feel like I have plenty of screen space but ymmv.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Green Gloves posted:

I use 125% scaling at 4k on 32". At 100% I feel like I have to lean in to read text.

I still feel like I have plenty of screen space but ymmv.

Same. I feel like I'd end up gradually sinking into a bad sitting posture with 100%.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 20, 2023

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I copped two LG ultra wide 34WQ500 around christmas time. One of them occasionally seems to randomly turn off or not get signal. I think it's just not getting signal and the screen goes black but still on then it comes back after a couple seconds. I'm using a Belkin hub USBC thing to connect them via HDMI to my crapple M1 16 inches. Any fixes or are these just junk that they were unloading for a song around christmas?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I should say its happening with increased frequency and the cables are in tight

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Have you tried using the monitors with different devices and setups? Maybe its the hub?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I have an LG that has a similar problem. I've tried driver updates, but didn't get any improvement. The trouble is that it is so random that it's hard to troubleshoot. It does seem to happen mostly when doing something intense like gaming. I'm almost wondering if it's an EMP blast from shifting around in my chair. https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/c...nt=2&utm_term=1

My next step is going to be a new, quality display port cable.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hey guys just wanted to share this tool that I found, a small taskbar icon that tells you if HDR is enabled, or SDR. You can rich click it to switch between modes, or just press WIN+ALT+B.
https://github.com/res2k/HDRTray

I'm not the author. Just thought its useful.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I can tell if HDR is enabled by looking at the screen because it's really bright :v:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Prob asked often, but I can't search through the thread.

If I have a 4k display, a 1440p display, and a 1080p display running together in windows 11, how do I eliminate the blurry font/text in stuff like properties windows? It appears that it isn't scaling text properly for all displays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The UI for those older window types use an API that doesn't really interact with the modern scaling system, so the answer is you kind of can't (not to my knowledge, anyway). It will only ever look clear on whichever display is considered your primary display and any other displays with the same scaling factor.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The UI for those older window types use an API that doesn't really interact with the modern scaling system, so the answer is you kind of can't (not to my knowledge, anyway). It will only ever look clear on whichever display is considered your primary display and any other displays with the same scaling factor.

GDI was built to scale based on the height of the font ligature, especially the W character. Scaling for DPI has always been somewhat of a hack with legacy apps, only achieved when scaling GDI for the system UI font which became Segoe UI once Vista or 7 landed. (I used to be a GDI developer)

Windows 10 and 11 have scaling but sometimes it is blurry.

Perhaps something in this recent post will help? https://www.techspot.com/guides/2668-windows-fix-blurry-apps/

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Fellow ultrawide sufferers : have you figured out any way to restrict resolution handily? The least awful solution I can think of is to clone my display onto my TV, which lets me restrict it to 16:9, but it's a significant pain in the rear end to switch back and forth.

Zero chance I will ever consider an ultrawide again. The longer I have it, the more I dislike it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

You mean... lower the resolution? Windows (or specifically the Nvidia control panel as that's what I typically use to handle resolution changes) won't let you do that?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

No. Lots of games automatically change your resolution to the max your monitor supports, which will completely gently caress things if they don't support ultrawide well. Most games don't.

I want a quick way to lock my monitor to 16:9 to avoid this problem.

Realistically the solution is never ever buy ultrawides because they loving suck unless you have one of a few incredibly specific workflows or almost exclusively play a handful of games where they're a real benefit, but we're already well past that point.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The only game I've had that specific issue with is Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag which had completely broken UW support, and would not under any circumstances lower to a playable 16:9 res. But most games I play start at native and stick to whatever resolution I set.

Have you tried changing the resolution in the ini then setting it as read only so the game can't automatically change it? Or setting a custom 16:9 resolution in Nvidia Control Panel (just make sure you have Scaling set to GPU instead of Display)

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 24, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

No. Lots of games automatically change your resolution to the max your monitor supports, which will completely gently caress things if they don't support ultrawide well. Most games don't.

I have never had this problem in many years of having an ultrawide nor have I ever heard that complaint before. What game(s) are you experiencing this with? Is it like a series that all runs on some weird one-off engine?

Many older games don't properly support ultrawide aspect ratios, but all of those allow you to set the appropriate resolution to run 16:9 pillarboxed and then work as expected from there. Some really old games might not even support the native 16:9 resolution but you can still set whatever their max is. Same exact sorts of behavior we saw during the switch from 4:3 to 16:9 and 16:10, and the exact opposite problem to what you describe.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Realistically the solution is never ever buy ultrawides because they loving suck unless you have one of a few incredibly specific workflows or almost exclusively play a handful of games where they're a real benefit, but we're already well past that point.

sounds like a you issue more than anything, never had a problem. old games letterbox just fine and I've been using an ultrawide for like 7 years now. i've not run into a game in the last few years that hasn't supported the res, i've ever seen old games support it after patches lol.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Have had an ultrawide for like 4 or 5 years now, and while there's a handful of games I've come across that don't support ultrawide, either I can find a pretty easy mod or file change that will fix that right up without trouble, or I just run it letterboxed or windowed with no issue depending on which I'm happier with. Very happy with my ultrawide, and am just waiting on the super combo of >3440x1440, HDR 10+, and 120+ hz to upgrade.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Let's say you've made an internal transfer to a new project and the site office isn't fully spun up yet and word around is to get the poo poo you want and expense it, before IT gets mobilized and starts handing out whatever random 22" flat panels they can source. Imagine I'm sitting next to a group that got themselves 4 Dell 34" curved ultrawides, for example.

Hypothetically speaking, what is the best still somewhat practical billboard monitor I can ask to expense and not be totally outlandish and denied out of hand?

I have one of the 34" curved ultrawides at home and do love it...

E: aaand 4 pallets of monitors just arrived. Bummer.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

I have never had this problem in many years of having an ultrawide nor have I ever heard that complaint before. What game(s) are you experiencing this with? Is it like a series that all runs on some weird one-off engine?

DMC HD collection is the current example. It happens most often with ports that never had resolution options and pseudo-2d games.