Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Zora cloaca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

it means no worries

for the rest of your days

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I figured out my earlier problem. For some reason, in RetroArch, if you turn on DS4Window's XInput, then the Y-axis for the virtual Xbox 360 controller is inverted from the DualShock 4 setting. If you go to Settings as an Xbox 360 controller and do the "press something to configure" thing with the left analog stick, then for some reason the numbers associated with the analog sticks change from something like +5/-5 to +1/-1, not that this means anything. The Xbox 360 controls will work as normal then. Then if you go back to direct DualShock 4 input, the Y-axis will be inverted as the DualShock 4 controller. I'm using XInput because RetroArch's cores only support haptic feedback for XInput, and I had only connected directly as DualShock 4 because I was being too lazy to open the DS4Windows program, so it isn't an actual problem

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 23, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Started playing Honkai: Started Rail. It's by the same people who did Genshin Impact, except it's turn based. It's Star Ocean, but better. The story is pretty good so far.

Also I need to get back to Prof. Layton vs Phoenix Wright. It's a lot of fun!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hatty posted:

Zora cloaca

Runa posted:

it means no worries

for the rest of your days

lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Boil em mash em stick em in a stew

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

why do these diablo 4 trailers keep having bad songs in them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

making a good trailer has been illegal for the past decade

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlSfr6Wa5sc

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

that lords of the fallen one had iron maiden in it, they should just do that for every trailer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZevH5yK3Q

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kerrzhe posted:

Because the creative visionaries at Blizzard don't work at Blizzard anymore.

Also, tbh, that latest trailer was probably trying to sell the game to people who aren't already guaranteed to buy the game so of course it has movie trailer music instead of video game trailer music.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 23, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SPEAKING! OF! BLIZZARD!

https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1660717264805539840?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just get the basilisk here already this part is getting annoying

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm kinda hoping they go through with this, because the current copyright law on generative art effectively says that you cannot copyright anything that was substantially created by it, including characters, and i'm dying to see some company eat crow in court over people taking a chunk of some new IP into public domain

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I suspect Blizzard has enough art of its own that it could train their own internal models to do certain things. I think they could also access enough budget to pay for libraries from other sources eg classical art and photography.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

did we ever figure out who owned all the Sanics? Sega lost in court right?

the only decent use i can think of for AI is making more Sanic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mutata posted:

I suspect Blizzard has enough art of its own that it could train their own internal models to do certain things. I think they could also access enough budget to pay for libraries from other sources eg classical art and photography.

that's part of why i'm curious to see a court challenge, since the current law would seem to prevent copyrighting anything made by generative AI, regardless of who owns the copyrights on the training data

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not interested in a court challenge considering our courts and who tends to get their way with these things. I have complete faith the business world will find a legal way to say "let AI benefit me, but not thee"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've somehow become obsessed with Resident Evil out of nowhere so I can only assume I've been bitten by a zombie and the t-virus done got me

Anyway RE rules and I can't believe it took me this long to play them. I thought I wouldn't like survival horror but it turns out I do.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

I've somehow become obsessed with Resident Evil out of nowhere so I can only assume I've been bitten by a zombie and the t-virus done got me

Anyway RE rules and I can't believe it took me this long to play them. I thought I wouldn't like survival horror but it turns out I do.

i wasn't a big horror person before i picked up dead space 1/2 on sale a couple years back out of a desire to get over my anxieties around them and found myself having a loving blast, survival horror's a great time

i don't fault people for not liking the emotional premise behind them, but very few game genres are able to capture that same sensation of being constantly harried and under the gun that good survival horror so carefully cultivates. it's like what dungeon crawling in old SNES RPGs was supposed to have felt like but never quite managed to reach

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

i wasn't a big horror person before i picked up dead space 1/2 on sale a couple years back out of a desire to get over my anxieties around them and found myself having a loving blast, survival horror's a great time

i don't fault people for not liking the emotional premise behind them, but very few game genres are able to capture that same sensation of being constantly harried and under the gun that good survival horror so carefully cultivates. it's like what dungeon crawling in old SNES RPGs was supposed to have felt like but never quite managed to reach

Yeah I thought the tension would be too much for me but it turns out I find it really fun. And funny sometimes--in the same way I think the Soulsborne games/Elden Ring are intentionally designed to have black comedy through gameplay, it looks like they took that from horror games, because sometimes they nail the comedic timing with enemies appearing and things like that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DaveKap posted:

This is a good list and I want to add Rogue Heroes to it because I really enjoyed that game, even if I never finished it.
I considered it but left off the overhead purely combat focused clones like Rogue Heroes, Hammerwatch, and TriggerWitch, but you can add them if you wish.

If it's pure puzzle solving I would also consider it more of a Lolo clone, and if it's cooperative puzzle solving I would consider it more of a Goof Troop clone, no matter how much the graphics look like Zelda.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Vermain posted:

Resident Evil does this immaculately, imo. It's probably the adaptive difficulty but so many Resident Evil games have you feel like you're constantly on the edge, like you always have just barely enough ammo to keep going.

It's also a great way to keep old weapons relevant, because you always end up with way more pistol ammo than anything else. Gotta make use of it somehow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is incredible lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8h9ExDvn4&hd=1

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kommander karl has made some of my favorite youtube gaming-adjacent vids, like this classic

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

grimacing in pain thinking about the poor son of a bitch who had to make 100 tiny hamburgers out of clay

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

frytechnician posted:

About a week ago, I was talking about the enjoyable goofy ride that is Ace Combat 7. Well, good news, it's 80% off right now on Steam.

You too can experience an exceptionally daft story, a jpeg dog, hammy VO, hearing the word "missile" 100+ times and so much more.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just finished farming for this Otter mount in WoW that wears sunglasses, and I just thought you'd all enjoy seeing it

https://i.imgur.com/y9cDtur.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa did they get new animators

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Infinitum posted:

Just finished farming for this Otter mount in WoW that wears sunglasses, and I just thought you'd all enjoy seeing it

Thanks I hate it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I already got spoiled on the major plot beats in Tears of the Kingdom but it’s pretty loving lol that they made the memory equivalent way, way, way easier to find and also decided not only that they didn’t need to lock the final memory* off behind finding the rest, but that it would just spell out via flashbacks to the other stories in black and white ZELDA IS A DRAGON NOW. . It was literary the second one I found, and it’s like the single easiest one to find since you can just float to it after activating the nearby tower.

Anyway, this game is cool as heck but I just wanna find the maraca kid, he should’ve just been in the hub town.

*it might not be the last memory, there might be more but they spoiled the poo poo out of their story anyway so same difference.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It isn’t the last one, no.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Infinitum posted:

i'm happy, decent job, wfh, money in the bank, games on the hard drive, got a lady wearing my engagement ring, but just sometimes i can't help but fantasize about cashing it all in and just sitting playing wow for 16 hours a day

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I couldn't really get into WoW when a friend had me try it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've never been super crazy into it - never had a max level character, never done a raid etc, but as a world where you can just occupy yourself it's substantially more interesting than real life

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MMOs are just games you make of as you will, just a wide range of activities to focus on. WoW & FF14 are the 2 biggies, and they both do different things.

Both games are top tier Pretty Princess Simulators tho

https://i.imgur.com/wjWjmMH.mp4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, WoW just has the worst art style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, WoW just has the worst art style

literally why i can't play Monster Train. i think this is my version of the people who yell "anime" at anything vaguely non-American