Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I would buy two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Anbernic is making a bigger funkey thing that uses funkey os.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVvBxdhKOQY

(They probably will abandon the German car model naming system like RG24x and call it a nano and it will annoy me.)

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 20, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

Anbernic is making a bigger funkey thing that uses funkey os.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVvBxdhKOQY

(They probably will abandon the German car model naming system like RG24x and call it a nano and it will annoy me.)

Like if they could get that at a sub 25 buck price point I think that would be a fun gimmicky thing that would sell. Having a tiny handheld that you can have on your keys or on your bag is an enticing gimmick. But anything above that you can get a real handheld that is more useful. I like my Miyoo Mini+ but I can't imagine using anything smaller for any amount of time.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Keep it in your bathroom.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
They should release the next one in the form factor of the tiger electronics r-zone

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I bought a broken r-zone with the intent to replace the screen and put a pi zero in it to make my own cheapo google glass but then I didn't

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

otter posted:

Did he do that about the Pocket?
Credit union fraud prevention blowin up my phone today with "Did you authorize this $277 charge in HK?"

A few years ago he said he was going to name an album Turbo Grafx 16 or something.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

falz posted:

A few years ago he said he was going to name an album Turbo Grafx 16 or something.

I guess put that on the burn pile of Kanye West's ideas...

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Which retro handheld would be best for me, a dumbass who likes to play games up to PSP/some PS2 and GameCube? I don’t mind setting up emulators, but I will say I’m not too fond of the clamshell retroid pocket flip. (Normally I’d just watch YouTube reviews but one will say “this one is the one to get!” and another will say “no get this one, dummy”)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

haunted bong posted:

Which retro handheld would be best for me, a dumbass who likes to play games up to PSP/some PS2 and GameCube? I don’t mind setting up emulators, but I will say I’m not too fond of the clamshell retroid pocket flip. (Normally I’d just watch YouTube reviews but one will say “this one is the one to get!” and another will say “no get this one, dummy”)

Steam Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If the Steam deck is too big the Retroid Pocket 3+ and the Anbernic 405M are popular choices

hatty fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 23, 2023

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
if i were in the market for a new system i'd go for the 405M for the hall effect sticks

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hatty posted:

If the Steam deck is too big the Retroid Pocket 3+ and the Anbernic 405M are popular choices

Eh, the rp3+ is not going to run GCN.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want gamecube, the Rog Ally IIRC offers both better performance and marginally better battery life than the steam deck

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Barudak posted:

If you want gamecube, the Rog Ally IIRC offers both better performance and marginally better battery life than the steam deck

That last part is not the impression I got from what I saw. But maybe I wasn't listening close enough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Explosionface posted:

That last part is not the impression I got from what I saw. But maybe I wasn't listening close enough.

Theres a video for emulation I watched that noted that the steam deck needs more power to run gamecube than the ally does, so it ended up being like 3 hours of gamecube versus like 3 hours and 10 monutes of gamecube. At lower settings the steam deck blows it away given its lower power mode is half the ally's

That said, my memory is bound to be faulty!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Deck also has trackpads which are actually useful for wiimote pointer emulation if you're interested in Wii stuff.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It can get 30 fps in like half of games if you fiddle with the settings

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

imo you’re saving yourself a lot of trouble if you just completely write off the systems that are borderline like that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah unless you like tweaking (I do) then, you know

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Does anyone here have a Logitech g cloud?
I’ve kinda been drooling over them since fallout 4 will never come out on the switch and I’ll never sit down in front of the Xbox long enough to play all the way through it.
Even though I have an iPad I could play it on thereby rendering the g cloud completely unnecessary anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

otter posted:

I’ve kinda been drooling over them since fallout 4 will never come out on the switch and I’ll never sit down in front of the Xbox long enough to play all the way through it.
Even though I have an iPad I could play it on thereby rendering the g cloud completely unnecessary anyway.

It’s still too expensive for what it is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

imo you’re saving yourself a lot of trouble if you just completely write off the systems that are borderline like that

Yeah I don’t even bother with PS2/GC on mine, everything up to and including PS1/PSP runs great so I stick to those systems

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I think the RG353P is one of the better choices at the moment if you grab one off one of the Amazon listings that has it at $130, can handle a good range of systems(particularly if you use custom firmware on the Linux side and upgrade the Android side with the Black Seraph version) and since it has a Wi-Fi chip in it you can use streaming to cover systems it can't natively handle, also since it has Bluetooth capabilities and HDMI output it also makes for a good portable way to do split screen gaming with friends

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

After the last OTA update, it seems.... fine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ywf3p1msE

Wonder what the next chip to filter down to cheapo territory is gonna be.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 23, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Snapdragon 845 in the Odin is probably getting there. Also if you want a handheld specifically for GC and PS2 the answer is still the Odin.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah unless you like tweaking (I do) then, you know

The biggest problem I run into with exceptions like that is people often don't test games past the first few minutes, so games that just about run properly with tweaks can completely fall apart later.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
After playing Zelda I’m back in STEAM DECK BIG camp.

After this though I may sell my Nintendo and either emulate it or just say meh. The hardware isn’t great, paying monthly to rent some roms and have otherwise horrible online infrastructure sucks and I don’t see any worth-it exclusives coming out any time soon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hack it if it's 1st gen or get a mod chip if it's not, then you'll never have to pay for roms again. A hacked switch is better than an Odin

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s a newer OLED, I play handheld like 99% of the time so it was worth selling my OG for the upgrade when it came out.

Plus I already have a RP3+ and a Deck.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you want ps2 everything, get a window/steam box.

Or just don't other with ps2 3d games. It's not that hard.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 23, 2023

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

otter posted:

I have one and love it but I don’t use it for streaming so I can’t comment on that part. I do think it’s still too expensive for what it is but if you want a nice big screen and built in controls it’s great.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

CFox posted:

I have one and love it but I don’t use it for streaming so I can’t comment on that part. I do think it’s still too expensive for what it is but if you want a nice big screen and built in controls it’s great.

My specific case use is that when wifey isn't working nights she wants me to sit in the family room with her while she watches tv / falls asleep but if I were to play a game on the tv it would wake her up and she'd get pissy. So I can play stuff on the switch, but would like to be able to play xbox games since there are several I need to get through, like Fallout 4. I feel like I should have grabbed one when they were $250, but I have been hoping they'd drop to 200. Maybe by the time I finish Breath of the Wild and maybe a couple other Switch exclusives.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

haunted bong posted:

I should have elaborated; not really looking for a steam deck/rog ally, because although I’d love to have one, they’re pretty much out of my budget for something like this. And PS2/GameCube isn’t a hard necessity, I’d be fine up to PSP/dreamcast level, since those (and consoles before those) were my “golden age of gaming”

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

haunted bong posted:

I’d be fine up to PSP/dreamcast level, since those (and consoles before those) were my “golden age of gaming”

You will want a Retroid Pocket 3+, then.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All the tiger 618 platforms probably perform similarly

RP3+/RP flip/405m/POUNDKIDDY X28/RG505

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

RP3+ and Flip might be better solely because its resolution is almost perfect for 3x PSP.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm trying to sort out doing Final Burn Neo on my RG353P running JELOS and I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing, cause near as I can tell it and MAME are a LOT more finicky in terms of what will work with it than what won't, anyone here know what I should be doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The biggest problem I run into with exceptions like that is people often don't test games past the first few minutes, so games that just about run properly with tweaks can completely fall apart later.

God, yeah I've left some notes here and there on things like that, battlefront 2 is fine in the tutorial like the sheet says but when you get into real maps it's uh, not