Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
To look cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

loving Moron posted:

Does this sack of fetid poo poo live in the US? If so they need to hit him up for aiding and abetting our enemies and lock him away for like 20 years.

i seem to remember a video of him screaming when he was arrested a while back

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

BigBeefCity posted:

why would a corpse need an oxygen mask

Pine Cone Jones posted:

To look cool as hell

JFC bbc that is some day 1 poo poo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The US has Invaded Russia in a color revolution. The so called BGP is actually the US backed group the BIMBOS, a total sissification hardline leftist group.

Russia is completely justified in MLRSing its own city to stop wokeism.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Explain to the dead why anyone's tattoos are at all germane to this Russian slaughter of innocents.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only way it could be funnier is if it turns out most, if not all, of the Russian army is already in Ukraine and these guys just have relative free reign to run around inside Russia.

Those good troops have gotta be around there, somewhere, in wait...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only way it could be funnier is if it turns out most, if not all, of the Russian army is already in Ukraine and these guys just have relative free reign to run around inside Russia.

I mean they did shoot down a national guard heli. And the police loving fled. The villages in the outskirts of Belgorod. I guess we will know more tomorrow.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kharkiv to Moscow is about 12 hours according to Google maps...

All the combat arms people would be in line to volunteer when the logistics people come out and send them all back to their units, because lol, like that would work.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Molothecat posted:

you can't just ignore the global south, you'll pay for this

what global mouth doing

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

what global mouth doing
https://twitter.com/Sputnik_Not/status/1660624075008385030

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Shogeton posted:

Yeah, I understand that is the awkward thing. It'd be really nice if the Russians that are causing all that ruckus to the Putin Regime were good people, but there's some stuff that suggests it's just awful, fascist shitheads who happen to not get along with the fascist shithead in the kremlin. Ukraine isn't exactly in a place of being picky who they accept help from I suppose (See also, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, who invaded a neighbour themselves) but let's not get lured in the 'if someone is against the evil folks we hate, they have to be good' trap.

Frankly as long as they're not warcriming and don't start in the future, which is more than you can say of the RuAF and Wagner et all, I'd say they're the lesser of two evils and let them go be useful as a thorn in Putin's backside.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Keisari posted:

But why the hell would they close bomb shelters? I mean what the actual gently caress?

they did them a favor honestly, it's a grover shelter

all the load bearing material was sold for Liptons and luxury American Kraft Singles

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Gwarver

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lol at one of Putin's doubles trying to seize power this way so we get a Coke II, Coke Classic sitch but instead of dividing a nation it shatters it into a trillion pieces.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 23, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HonorableTB posted:

the tankiesphere is fuckin stunned silent lmao, I barely even see any aggrandized flailing and rhetoric. its crickets lol, I guess they havent received the latest moscow talking points yet

I've seen a few "oh of course they go for the easy unguarded villages and bases. :rolleyes:" takes which then begs the question of why border outposts and villages on the border of a nation you're invading are undefended...

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Deki posted:

I've seen a few "oh of course they go for the easy unguarded villages and bases. :rolleyes:" takes which then begs the question of why border outposts and villages on the border of a nation you're invading are undefended...
The invadee can't invade the invader back—that's unfair!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the popes toes posted:

Incisive analysis about the corrupt warmongering proxy of the US and the Western Globalist Elite

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1660694460013920264

michael tracey is on the scene at Vkusno i Tochka

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anabasis II

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Gwarver House: Лидер Рок-хауса встречает свой конец выстрелом из дробовика

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is pretty much all in Ukraine and they do seem to have a fairly free reign at the moment. I don't expect it to remain like that but it seems to be true at the moment.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The New Yorker should be boycotted for trafficking in insidiously pro-Russian propaganda.

quote:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/29/two-weeks-at-the-front-in-ukraine

Two Weeks at the Front in Ukraine
By Luke Mogelson
May 22, 2023

Syava’s battalion, which numbered about six hundred men, was posted on the edge of a village south of Bakhmut... Within weeks, the battalion faced annihilation: entire platoons had been wiped out in close-contact firefights, and some seventy men had been encircled and massacred. The dwindling survivors, one officer told me, “became useless because they were so tired.” In January, what was left of the battalion retreated from the village and established defensive positions in the tree lines and open farmland a mile to the west. “Wagner kicked our asses,” the officer said.

The Russian mercenaries subsequently left for Bakhmut, to shore up other forces there, and the conventional troops who replaced them were far less numerous and suicidal. By the time I joined the battalion, about two months had passed since it had lost the battle for the village, and during the interim neither side had attempted a major operation against the other. It was all the Ukrainians could do to maintain the stalemate. Pavlo estimated that, owing to the casualties his unit had sustained, eighty per cent of his men were new draftees. “They’re civilians with no experience,” he said. “If they give me ten, I’m lucky when three of them can fight.”

He [Artem] was a forty-two-year-old father of three who managed a grain elevator in a small farming community in central Ukraine. Men who have three children are legally exempt from conscription but, in December, Artem was still in the process of adopting one of his daughters when he was summoned by his local draft board. A physician, citing a skull fracture that Artem had once suffered during an ice-skating accident, deemed him medically unfit to serve; the board dispatched him to a military training center anyway. His training lasted a month and consisted of tutorials and marching drills—“theoretical stuff, nothing practical.” He shot a total of thirty rounds during two trips to a firing range. From the training center, Artem was assigned to the 28th Brigade, and a day after joining Pavlo’s infantry battalion he was on the Zero Line.

On February 24, 2022, Volodymyr Zelensky, the President of Ukraine, declared a general mobilization for male citizens between the ages of eighteen and sixty. Civilians of all stripes flocked to military-registration offices, eager to fight. Some waited in line for days, only to be told that no more men were required. Today, popular support for resisting rather than negotiating with Russia remains high, but, as in every war, the burden of sacrifice has fallen increasingly on the underprivileged. Nearly every draftee I met in the trenches had been a manual laborer—farmer, carpenter, dockworker, plumber—and stories abounded of Ukrainians with means dodging conscription through graft or nepotism. “You could find people from the higher classes in the infantry at the beginning of the war,” one veteran told me. “But, after a year, you don’t see an end to this—your chances of dying are higher, you’re loving tired. Now most of the people are being drafted.”

Unlike U.S. soldiers in every American conflict since the Second World War, Ukrainian draftees are generally not being contracted for fixed periods of service or deployed on tours with defined limits. They are being indentured for as long as they are needed. One officer told me, “You come home with victory, without a limb, or dead.” A fourth option was desertion. “Sometimes they return, sometimes they don’t,” the officer said.

In January, Zelensky signed legislation that raised the maximum punishment for desertion to twelve years in prison. It is unknown how many Ukrainians have been sentenced to date, but one factor potentially obstructing enforcement of the law is the reluctance of superior officers to denounce offenders. Odesa’s platoon leader, a senior lieutenant named Ivan, told me that he pitied the draftees in his platoon; like Pavlo, he placed the blame for their shortcomings on inadequate training. One of his soldiers, he said, “was just walking down the street when guys approached him and physically took him to the draft center—in less than two days, he was with the brigade.”

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

drat good start.

:350:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bleeding edge reporting pulls no punches from the countries that allow our elite failson journalists to visit without being shot

zone
Dec 6, 2016

quote:

Strelkov Igor Ivanovich #KRP
Well? We can confidently say that our intelligence (of all departments) "again worked for five plus."

Even I - the "ensign-reenactor" famous for my stupidity, alarmism and cowardice - warned about the upcoming enemy attack (by the way - not the last, I'm sure) on our territory ahead of time. AND? And so they invaded. And even, it turns out, successfully. We got in. Now we will knock them out, destroying our own settlements. One word - well done!

The fact that this is not an "offensive" is unlikely to console the inhabitants of those villages that for half a year experienced growing shelling by enemy artillery, and now they have met enemy soldiers on their streets. My congratulations to the GRU General Staff, the 5th Service of the FSB of the Russian Federation, the intelligence service of the FPS of the FSB of Russia and everyone else involved! Keep it up!
https://t.me/strelkovii/4992
:troll:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What does "again worked for five plus." mean?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What does "again worked for five plus." mean?

He's sarcastically saying they did a superb job by allowing this to happen instead of anticipating it and preparing something for it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Carth Dookie posted:

:goofy:

There's way too many layers to this onion for my astronomically high brain to parse

edit:

I need to go and see if I can make an AI image generator pop out a good weed leaf/ukranian trident mashup. Writing it down because I WILL forget.

keep me posted. sincerely

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

zone posted:

He's sarcastically saying they did a superb job by allowing this to happen instead of anticipating it and preparing something for it.

I get the sarcastic tone of the whole thing but that particular part is lost on me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'd guess it's like got an A+, but yeah always interesting to get those idioms explained

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I'd guess it's like got an A+, but yeah always interesting to get those idioms explained

Perhaps a kind of “five by five” that got lost a bit in translation?

https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/five-by-five

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol thanks for posting m tracey's bullshit here, it's been a while since I had a good laugh on account of

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1660679945583034368
Poor fools, that's what comes of thinking your nation of bandits was capable of scaring anyone any longer after the debacle of your "special military operation."

A while back but... Chimera? That seems a very specific translation - is it some kind of... Just a common term that is used in Russian that just gets specifically translated as Chimera? Are there any further... meanings behind it other than 'monster'?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

A while back but... Chimera? That seems a very specific translation - is it some kind of... Just a common term that is used in Russian that just gets specifically translated as Chimera? Are there any further... meanings behind it other than 'monster'?

It's specifically a composite monster, and also can be used as a pipe dream

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

three part monster

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Samovar posted:

It sounds like he's using it to mean an imaginary thing.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

sebmojo posted:

it is exactly that, russian grades go from 5 to 1 instead of A to F

zone
Dec 6, 2016

sebmojo posted:

It's specifically a composite monster, and also can be used as a pipe dream

specifically, 'chimerical' is the exact term, used to describe something hoped for but impossible or illusory to achieve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Bezoar posted:

Perhaps a kind of “five by five” that got lost a bit in translation?

https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/five-by-five

Some military evaluation forms used to rank certain skill and leadership qualities using 1.0 to 5.0. Five oh (5.0) was perfect in all respects. So 5++ is rather strong sarcasm.