Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

The Maestro posted:

Anybody have experience processing a large amount of cherries (25-30 lbs)?

I did it a few years ago - pitted them all, infused a case of whiskey, pulled the cherries out and covered them in sugar to make a whiskey-cherry syrup. It was awesome, but I also don’t want to spend 10 hrs pitting cherries again.

I was thinking of skipping that step and just covering them in sugar to make a syrup. I hesitate to infuse liquor without pitting them because the pits might be poisonous at that quantity and in liquor? Anybody know?

Or would it be possible to freeze jack em? Freeze them, then let them thaw and drip their tasty juice out?

Heat destroys Amygdalin. Maybe roast it all then do the process you were already thinking of? Also morellos have way more than red or black cherries. Additionally with no roast, physically compromising the pit increases the danger. So swallowing one vs chewing and swallowing the latter is more dangerous.

Comment in this recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/roasted-cherry-ice-cream-recipe#comment-5346826057

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Frangelico and ginger ale with a lot of lemon wedges squeezed into it is great for summer

Hmmm now you've got me thinking of trying to make ginger beer and frangelico work. It could add a nice nutty note to a Smith and cross mule maybe?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
It’s my BIRTHDAY TODAY. what should I have for a SHOT?!?

I had finally decided to embrace this request when was still bartending and started making Chocolate Cake shots. They really are uncanny. Shake together equal parts frangelico and citrus vodka, shoot it, and suck on a sugar-coated lemon wedge immediately after

e: btw it is NOT your birthday. Your birthday was last week and today is Thursday SHUT UP

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

prairie fire

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
If you're gonna have a lot of em, beer/whiskey shot combos like the lord intended. No muss, no fuss.

If you're gonna have just one or two, M&Ms (50/50 mezcal and montenegro) or Maseratis (50/50 mezcal and Ramazzotti) or Hard Starts (50/50 Fernet Branca and Branca Menta).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Clairin Le Rocher

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Clairin Le Rocher

yes to this. but too much feels like Auto-Brewery Syndrome

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just sipping one shot, though. Not much else out there quite like it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Start every birthday with 3 shots of Teacher's and a Bellhaven's Best. A couple of birthdays I've had to do Jameson and Guinness, which is good but not quite the same. But either way you're ready for a fight.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Beer shot combos are definitely the way to kick a night off. If I’m out I like a low flyer with a porter but if I’m entertaining it’s a shot of Mellow Corn with a Pilsner followed by a you call it sour.

Thanks to this thread I’ve been enjoying Ferraris if there’s a second round of shots called for later.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
M&Ms and Ferraris are extremely popular at my restaurant. I prefer the former. Even good as a sipper

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grand Fromage posted:

Liquor store near me has full shelves of Chartreuse and I keep thinking about buying another every time I pass. But I have three full bottles which should last me quite a while, not like I use a ton of it.

Update: I have four bottles.

Also turned out that I could just add water to this old bottle of crystallized honey I'd been digging out with a butter knife and boom, it dissolved and I got honey syrup.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 24, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Update: I have four bottles.

Also turned out that I could just add water to this old bottle of crystallized honey I'd been digging out with a butter knife and boom, it dissolved and I got honey syrup.

ooh hey that's not a bad idea

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ooh hey that's not a bad idea

Better than loving around with it or throwing it out. Didn't even heat anything, just eyeballed what looked like the right proportion since there's no way to weigh just the honey in there and shook it until it dissolved. I think I added a bit too much water but eh, good enough.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Once diluted honey is susceptible to contamination so make sure you use it quickly. You can always just microwave it for a few seconds to dissolve the crystals without altering moisture content.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

But then it wouldn't be honey syrup, which is what I wanted.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My bad I read that as “honey is due to be thrown out once crystallized” not “I just learned how honey syrup is made”. Carry on. But also remember it does require refrigeration now.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

tonedef131 posted:

You can always just microwave it for a few seconds to dissolve the crystals without altering moisture content.
Seems like this would work for rich syrups that have crystallized too, right?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Sashimi posted:

Seems like this would work for rich syrups that have crystallized too, right?
Enough heat would melt it for sure and there’s really no downside to heating a standard syrup, but you should be a bit more careful with honey. A high concentration syrup crystallizes when the saccharine molecules stick together and break out of solution. With honey it’s an enzymatic reaction. Glucose oxidase is the enzyme in honey that gives it its preservative qualities. It generates hydrogen peroxide to combat contaminants which can cause the glucose to solidify. This is one of the reasons crystallization of occurs. I’ve found brief microwaving is enough to melt the sugars but not completely denature the enzyme.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Please Don’t microwave plastic honey bottles, folks

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Found a Beachbum Berry recipe I really enjoy that has gone over well with friends. To reopen Orange Juice chat it's now definitely my favorite drink with OJ as the weak.

Molokai Mule

1 oz Brandy/Cognac
1 oz Light Rum (I used Plantation 3 Stars)
1 oz Demerara Rum (I used 1/2 Hamilton 86 1/2 OFTD)
1 oz Orgeat
1 oz Lime Juice
2 oz OJ

I don't know why it's called a "Mule" - it's more similar to a Fog Cutter with more rum instead of gin.

No overproof is called for, but Lemonhart 151 and OFTD are of course really tasty in this as half or all of the dark rum.

The original recipe calls for "Light Puerto Rican Rum" but I've made this with Bacardi Superior and it's not nearly as good. There are some fantastic light rums for under $20, I don't see any reason to skimp there.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Went ahead and bought some Beefeater tonight and discovered to my intense shock that not only is it delicious but I'm 99% sure it's the exact same brand of gin my extremely british grandmother used to drink, if the constant smell of gin and tonics around her home is any indication.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Strange Matter posted:

Went ahead and bought some Beefeater tonight and discovered to my intense shock that not only is it delicious but I'm 99% sure it's the exact same brand of gin my extremely british grandmother used to drink, if the constant smell of gin and tonics around her home is any indication.

Sounds about right. If a drink calls for "gin" and there's no other immediate tell about what kind of gin should be used, I assume they mean beefeater.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of gin, I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of Roku - I know lots of cocktail nerds go crazy for the stuff, and the idea of using Japanese botanicals like yuzu sounds pretty tasty. What are the best gin-forward cocktails that lend themselves to using Roku instead of a London Dry Gin like Beefeater?

A Saturn sounds like it would be pretty good with it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Speaking of gin, I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of Roku - I know lots of cocktail nerds go crazy for the stuff, and the idea of using Japanese botanicals like yuzu sounds pretty tasty. What are the best gin-forward cocktails that lend themselves to using Roku instead of a London Dry Gin like Beefeater?

A Saturn sounds like it would be pretty good with it.

I find most gin forward drinks try to emphasize the dryness. I use my atypically fruity/flowery gins as subs for other spirits in cocktails, especially light rums/tiki drinks.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
A Tom Collins with that flavor profile sounds like it would be deliciously refreshing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Help, I bought grappa

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Help, I bought grappa

Just get covid, you won't be able to taste it

I can't taste any booze right now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sorry to hear that :(

Really what I'm trying to find is some approximation of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacha_(brandy), which I had when I was in Lviv for a week a few years ago for work. Ukraine (or at least western Ukraine) is in love with Georgian cuisine the way we're in love with Mexican cuisine; it's all khinkali, khachapuri, mountains of grilled meat, and Turkish coffee for days. Our hosts took us to one Georgian place every day for lunch and then a different Georgian place on the final day for dinner, where they served chacha in those little shot-sized stem glasses that are the style there. It isn't so much the taste I remember as having to excuse myself early because of an urgent call from back home and run careening through the Cyrillic-signed streets back to the hotel, without the aid of a map or cell service and with two large shots of 65% alcohol chacha in me and the beginnings of a cold taking hold, to get on a zoom call.

Pisco seems to be the same kind of idea but what I've tried doesn't taste familiar at all, though the memory of that night is so hazy I suppose it could have been anything. This grappa (Marcati) seems pretty close though

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

Pisco seems to be the same kind of idea but what I've tried doesn't taste familiar at all, though the memory of that night is so hazy I suppose it could have been anything. This grappa (Marcati) seems pretty close though

Pisco isn't made from pomace, it's made from fermented grape juice (basically young wine). It doesn't have that raisiny thing going on that Grappa has. Maybe it's that you're looking for.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/Cocktail-Cod...ps%2C170&sr=8-1

Cocktail Codex for the Kindle is $2.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Data Graham posted:

Help, I bought grappa

Congratulations, now every single drink you make will taste better. Just have a little grappa first, and then revel in drinking something that isn't grappa.*

*Advice does not apply to moutai.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any dark rums that don't add caramel coloring? I seem to be allergic to it and looking for something for a Dark n Stormy or similar.

I don't know the specific compound in question, but I'm also allergic to the red dye in Campari, if relevant.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any dark rums that don't add caramel coloring? I seem to be allergic to it and looking for something for a Dark n Stormy or similar.

I don't know the specific compound in question, but I'm also allergic to the red dye in Campari, if relevant.

Yes almost certainly but unfortunately there don't seem to be any labeling requirements for such things so good luck finding out which ones are ok.

edit: from doing a little googling it sounds like the vast majority of non-white rums are colored with trace amounts of spirit caramel (E150) which can cause allergic reactions.

More comprehensive rundown: http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=280

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 29, 2023

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was looking for the same thing at my liquor store and finally settled on The Real McCoy because the label advertised no sweeteners, flavorings, or artificial coloring. It was when I got home that I realized it had natural caramel coloring instead :v:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

liqour labeling regulations are dogshit. apparently the rationale is that if you puts ingredients and nutrition info on the label then people will think its food

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Blonde is the same version as the black without the caramel coloring.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Uh, "natural caramel coloring" is just literal caramel. You're allergic to cooked sugar, somehow?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

prayer group posted:

Uh, "natural caramel coloring" is just literal caramel. You're allergic to cooked sugar, somehow?

Nope, read the link I posted a few posts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Corb3t posted:

Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Blonde is the same version as the black without the caramel coloring.

This is, I believe, misleading. The black and blonde come from the same stock but after that are different. The black has coloring added, which is true, but it is aged in different barrels. As such you get very different products at the end.