Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Jorodowski’s Airplane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i think you've just identified why i don't like his movies

inception was perfect for him, it even had an ending that was ambiguous in a good instead of dumb way

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m curious how Oppenheimer is gonna be seeing how a historical biopic is new territory for him

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cillian is going to knock it out of the park as usual at least

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m curious how Oppenheimer is gonna be seeing how a historical biopic is new territory for him

why would anyone see oppenheimer when barbie is right there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

i enjoyed tenet but the climatic time travel battlefield scene felt really weird and i couldn't tell who the protagonists were shooting for most of it

sometimes he just needs a call of duty set piece, like the completely unnecessary one in inception

can’t wait to see how he shoehorns one into oppenheimer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in inception when they wake up in the plane it has the feeling of when you’ve been lost in a acid trip and you open your eyes and you’re like “real life exists?” and it was glorious

but that movie does crescendo extremely well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/rprequelmemes/status/1660786276386197505?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

in inception when they wake up in the plane it has the feeling of when you’ve been lost in a acid trip and you open your eyes and you’re like “real life exists?” and it was glorious

Yeah this is a good take. if you've experienced popping in and out of reality on hallucinogens it clicks a lot more, i think.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i still like the prestige a lot. it's just an all-around good movie, good cast, and who doesn't like a good magician story?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
tenet was great but my partner has partial hearing loss from too much drum and bass and the dialogue mix meant she understood none of it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

tenet was great but my partner has partial hearing loss from too much drum and bass and the dialogue mix meant she understood none of it.

Christopher Nolan blended the dialogue with background noise on purpose. The movie requires subtitles.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

batman, batman returns, and batman begins are the good batmans (batmen? batsman?)

the dark night is grimdark edgelord nonsense that goes on far too long, and people have decided its better than it deserves just because heath ledger died

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Batman: the movie is the best batman movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Endless Mike posted:

Batman: mask of the phantasm is the best batman movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the patman was pretty good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord funk posted:

i still like the prestige a lot. it's just an all-around good movie, good cast, and who doesn't like a good magician story?

ah, gently caress it, i like the prestige too. i agree with hobbesmaster though

hobbesmaster posted:

I feel like I was the only person that disliked the prestige when it came out.

idk, I just somehow got on the wrong side of suspension of disbelief early and was thinking “oh come on” throughout the entire film.

a few parts had me doing basically the same thing. a couple of the reveals had me going ":rolleyes: really?" but it's still an enjoyable film overall. it's got a great cast and they do a good job, and once you realize the story is not at all grounded in reality it's a lot better

i imagine that's not too far out a take either because it seems like a lot of people didn't realize it's a fantasy film, and to be fair, it's not really set up like one

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0si5bSd6I

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgc_LRjlbTU

i have nowhere to put this but this is a song i discovered while high. what if the two dudes from abba wrote a rock opera about chess but its really a metaphor for the cold war. quaint racism aside i really wanna see this musical now

this is off the wiki regarding the context of the song

quote:

A year later, Anatoly is set to defend his championship in Bangkok, Thailand ("Golden Bangkok"). Freddie is already there, chatting up locals and experiencing the Bangkok nightlife ("One Night in Bangkok"); he is Global TV's official commentator for the tournament. Florence and Anatoly are now openly lovers, and worry about Freddie's sudden reappearance as well as the impending arrival of Anatoly's estranged wife, Svetlana, from Russia ("One More Opponent" / "You and I"), which Anatoly suspects is part of Molokov's plan to shame him into returning to the Soviet Union. Molokov, meanwhile, has trained a new protégé, Leonid Viigand, to challenge, defeat, and humiliate Anatoly ("The Soviet Machine").

Walter, now Freddie's boss, manipulates Freddie into embarrassing Anatoly on live TV during an eventually heated interview between them ("The Interview"). Molokov, who indeed is responsible for Svetlana's presence in Bangkok, blackmails her into urging Anatoly to throw the match. Walter, who has been promised the release of certain captured American agents if he can ruin Anatoly's performance, informs Florence that her father is still alive though imprisoned, and that he too will be released if she can convince Anatoly to lose. Despite Molokov and Walter's efforts, none of their ploys work to get Anatoly to throw the game. As a result, Molokov and Walter team up to get Freddie to personally persuade Anatoly and Florence, knowing that Freddie is vengeful toward Anatoly and interested in winning back the love of Florence; however, Freddie's attempts also fail ("The Deal").

like holy poo poo piss i want this amount of cocaine in my life

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, gently caress it, i like the prestige too. i agree with hobbesmaster though

a few parts had me doing basically the same thing. a couple of the reveals had me going ":rolleyes: really?" but it's still an enjoyable film overall. it's got a great cast and they do a good job, and once you realize the story is not at all grounded in reality it's a lot better

i imagine that's not too far out a take either because it seems like a lot of people didn't realize it's a fantasy film, and to be fair, it's not really set up like one

yeah as you said it’s by no means bad.

i just felt like playing clue and all of the sudden the answer is actually an alien abduction.

in comparison inception established its thing early and everything flows reasonably from that premise. just different types of movies I guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah as you said it’s by no means bad.

i just felt like playing clue and all of the sudden the answer is actually an alien abduction.

in comparison inception established its thing early and everything flows reasonably from that premise. just different types of movies I guess

yeah. it's gotta be intentional too, you get basically character introductions where its like "you see, they're magicians, good ones, but all of their tricks have a practical explanation" which, i guess they do. but a lot of them are shown to pulled off by increasingly implausible and then downright impossible stuff, so it's kind of a slow descent into fantasy without really ever acknowledging you're there

i think it works, but i can see why people would be like "ok this is bullshit"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i also just looked up the plot to see if i had the details right and lmao that came out 17 years ago

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

it's pure spectacle, it's not supposed to make sense. you didn't miss the point or anything.

yeah but the spectacle seemed to be people shooting st seemingly empty buildings and be shot back at by no one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Nolan power rankings

Dark Knight (B+)
Interstellar (B- with special recognition for spectacle)
Batman Begins (B)
Inception (B-)
The Prestige (C+)
Dark Knight 2 (C)
Dunkirk (C)
Tenet (D-)

he's never really wowed me with his cinematography or storytelling but he knows exactly who to cast and makes great-looking movies. you can't ask for much more from a blockbusters-only director. he's on the tier below Cameron and (pre-2004) Spielberg with people like, idk, Chris McQuarrie. which is a nice place to be

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i haven't seen tenet because it seems bad but otherwise it's a pretty solid list. the guy makes good blockbusters

overall not really great, but definitely good. thats better than 98% of the stuff out there though

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think all the Nolan batman movies suck and Tenet is fine, so there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
been too long since I saw the prestige to contest that on any concrete grounds but surely it deserves a bonus for being batman vs wolverine

and for casting david bowie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Tenet was too ambitious. it really seems like he worked out how his weird time travel mechanic worked before coming up with setpieces that followed that logic, which is the wrong order for him to have done things. the backwards fights were just kinda dumb looking and the other fights were just normal action movie stuff except the bystanders were all moving backwards which wasn't especially cool to see

even still Nolan managed to make a completely unoccupied plane idling into a warehouse a fantastic cinematic experience somehow. I don't understand why but even with almost zero stakes watching a 737 ram into a building at 7mph was thrilling. it's the only thing I really remember from the movie

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Christopher Nolan should direct Cyberpunk 2077: the movie

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did he do momento?

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

did he do momento?
is that the sequel to memento?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s actual the prequel

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

Jorodowski’s Airplane!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
dark knight with joker and the prestige are the only nolan movies I've made it all the way through

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“i have a dream” - quote from someone in inception

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wanna see Inceptar it’s a movie about the avatar people and when one is in they’re avatar they climb into one of the machines and end up inside another avatar but time slows down when this happens and also there is water

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
inceptor sounds like its a movie about a giant bug. the bug might also jump into your brain and/or thoughts

e: or british college graduates apparently lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i wanna see Inceptar it’s a movie about the avatar people and when one is in they’re avatar they climb into one of the machines and end up inside another avatar but time slows down when this happens and also there is water
that's probably just existenz or something

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
finally got around to watching atlanta. it's pretty good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

holy poo poo hbo will not stop with the stupid emails, I think they've sent me six in the last three days. I should get off my rear end and order a nas already, I gave streaming a chance but it's super annoying and somehow the interfaces of the apps keep getting worse? it's not hard, just show me a list of things and let me watch them