Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I like em!

They're super nasty and variety is nice to have.

This is an odd critique because "not being in step with the rest of the game" can be applied to a whole bunch of armies, such as the Skaven, Kharadon Overlords, etc.

When I say "aesthetically out of step" I guess I'm mostly talking about stuff like the more realistic less "heroic" proportions and the lack of visual cohesion with the other Orruk models that they're lumped in with. The proportions thing is becoming less of an issue with their newer sculpts, though most humanoid models in the game still have the slightly over-scaled hands / heads thing going on. As their own separate faction it's not really noticeable, but cramming them into a Big Waaagh, which is basically the only viable way to play them outside of very casual games, is pretty jarring (to me, anyway).

I love the models and have a small force of them that I'm constantly tempted to turn into another army, so this is mostly nitpicking. GW just has a weird way of approaching the faction, like giving Gitz those wolf riders that literally nobody uses when Kruleboyz have been in desperate need of a cavalry unit to mitigate their slow movement and castle-y gameplay in a faction that is supposed to be about sneaky hit-and-run attacks and terror tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Chainclaw posted:

I like the one AoS Forgeworld thing I got. I think the rules are trash for it but I like how it looks and conceptually artillery squid should be fun to use in a game.

My buddy has one of these, the hag, the mega squig, and the dread saurian

May a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest, o plastic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Delete all the classic style orcs and replace them with nothing but kruleboyz and gloomspite as the greenskin faction.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

When I say "aesthetically out of step" I guess I'm mostly talking about stuff like the more realistic less "heroic" proportions and the lack of visual cohesion with the other Orruk models that they're lumped in with. The proportions thing is becoming less of an issue with their newer sculpts, though most humanoid models in the game still have the slightly over-scaled hands / heads thing going on. As their own separate faction it's not really noticeable, but cramming them into a Big Waaagh, which is basically the only viable way to play them outside of very casual games, is pretty jarring (to me, anyway).

I love the models and have a small force of them that I'm constantly tempted to turn into another army, so this is mostly nitpicking. GW just has a weird way of approaching the faction, like giving Gitz those wolf riders that literally nobody uses when Kruleboyz have been in desperate need of a cavalry unit to mitigate their slow movement and castle-y gameplay in a faction that is supposed to be about sneaky hit-and-run attacks and terror tactics.

good bit, assessing the gangly jim henson orks as having too realistic proportions to go alongside the rest of the greenskins is pretty funny! I suggest building on it by claiming their monsters are too serious and menacing to be in the same setting as squigs

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
i could take or leave kruleboyz infantry but they have some of the coolest monsters in all of aos

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like Gobsprakk and giant vulture.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think my biggest problem with the Kruleboyz isn't their overall aesthetic but instead just how awkwardly Hobgrots fit into the faction and the lack of any kind of cavalry

I like the Kruleboyz themselves as the third "leg" of warclans since it gives them a kind of symmetry with Ironjawz (Gork), Kruleboyz (Mork) and Bonespittlerz (Gorkamorka)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Assessor of Maat posted:

good bit, assessing the gangly jim henson orks as having too realistic proportions to go alongside the rest of the greenskins is pretty funny! I suggest building on it by claiming their monsters are too serious and menacing to be in the same setting as squigs

You seem to be deliberately misreading what I'm saying and ignoring any other context around it so we can just agree to disagree I guess lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel like kruleboyz fit great with the new ranges of models. Sigmarines that are less marines and more knights now. Cities looks like a great mesh with the kruleboyz aesthetic. They work great with all the new sculpts across ranges imo and the old whfb orcs are an odd looking faction in the context of AoS.

StD are also less dumpy beefboys and more big strong athletes now.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 12, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If S2D got an update to their dumpy marauder sculpts, manticore riders and chaos spawn they wouldnt have a single bad model in their entire range.

I also hope we can get our Chaos Dragons back even if its only for the Chaos Lord.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Chaos Spawn is not a bad model they just picked the worst builds for the box art

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

War and Pieces posted:

Chaos Spawn is not a bad model they just picked the worst builds for the box art

Having just built one I disagree, lots of weird gaps and lumpy details

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

Having just built one I disagree, lots of weird gaps and lumpy details

and why the gently caress are they learning forward so far. Hated building those loving things man!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

JBP posted:

I feel like kruleboyz fit great with the new ranges of models. Sigmarines that are less marines and more knights now. Cities looks like a great mesh with the kruleboyz aesthetic. They work great with all the new sculpts across ranges imo and the old whfb orcs are an odd looking faction in the context of AoS.

StD are also less dumpy beefboys and more big strong athletes now.

Yeah that's basically all I was getting at, the newer sculpts have moved away from the oversized / boxier heroic scaling and as that continues Kruleboyz will look like a more natural fit. Outside of being in a mixed Waagh list it's not really noticeable anyway. Skaven are in kind of a similar boat - their new sculpts look fantastic and much more grounded, but a ton of the range still has that slightly exaggerated / goofy WHFB vibe. And I like that aesthetic too tbh, just not side by side with the newer stuff.

Seeing the Mawgrunta next to the Goregruntas was actually pretty surprising to me - the Goregruntas are by all measures still a solid, relatively new sculpt, but the Mawgrunta is in a whole other league and doesn't share much design space aside from "armored pig."

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Didn't look much like an Adeptus Arbite to me...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/21/sunday-preview-the-seraphon-unveil-their-greatest-plan-yet

Cue the Jurassic Park theme, because it's time for the Seraphon to be unleashed with their battletome and a bevy of awesome models.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/21/sunday-preview-the-seraphon-unveil-their-greatest-plan-yet

Cue the Jurassic Park theme, because it's time for the Seraphon to be unleashed with their battletome and a bevy of awesome models.
So is this just the parsing out of the seraphone box from a few weeks ago

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well it's both the units from the army box on their own, and the new ones like Skink Starseer or Kroxigor.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

New kroxigors and saurus riders look super neat. Never been fan of skins myself

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/22/dawnbringer-previews-the-freeguild-marshal-leads-from-the-front/

New Freeguild model. Well, models.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Third head is probably first asian looking person in warhammer minis range unless there is some obscure ancient stuff I missed

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
The dual pistol hands look a little awkward but otherwise rad minis

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Third head is probably first asian looking person in warhammer minis range unless there is some obscure ancient stuff I missed

Citadel has put out some asian models but during a time when Warhammer Fantasy Battles wasn't the organized thing it was today.

This is back when there weren't "army books" or whatever and you were sort of encouraged to just choose whatever from the huge generic catalogue(same catalogue that had the female space marines)(and lots of the models were like, stuff from old licenses that they kept the molds for etc).

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 22, 2023

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

All the new Cities of Sigmar models are great. They're really getting that "kind of medieval but not so much" design.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I loving love the "angular with baroque poo poo" look on the COS armor they've shown.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Check the Sisters of Battle range

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Cross posting from the minis thread.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Finished this guy finally. Kept getting pulled away.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Absolutely sweet

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Cross posting from the minis thread.

Goodness me that gradient is delicious. Even the subtle color shifts on the bony monster face. How did you do the gore and snow?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Goodness me that gradient is delicious. Even the subtle color shifts on the bony monster face. How did you do the gore and snow?

The strands are fabritac mixed with bftbg then painted with uv resin for strength. Airbrushing a brush loaded with bftbg for spatter.

Also none of that gradient on the bone is from glazing or anything. I did the skulls and bone with 3 colors from an airbrush, then painted the bones in thinned oils... it just ends up looking like that (like there's a slight glow to it from the acrylic showing through).

(First half of how I painted it here but I'll be coming out with a video soon for the base and mount... been having some health problems and it's been taking a while to get things done)

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 23, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

A surprisingly comprehensive article about TOW's timeline and involved factions.
Yes I know this still a bad thread for it, but I don't think there's a WHF thread, and there's not enough info atm to really make a TOW thread worth it either.

quote:

Much of the action in the first wave of books and supplements takes place in and around the Border Princes – the barrier lands between the Empire and Orc territory. Accordingly, we will be focusing on nine core factions.

quote:

These armies will have rules published alongside the launch of the Old World, and will be the pivotal players in the events covered in narrative expansions and supplements. Fans of these armies can also all look forward to some shiny new miniatures that will accompany the return of many classic kits.

The factions in question:

quote:

What About the Other Factions?
Certain factions people remember from Warhammer Fantasy Battles are not part of the narrative we’re telling with The Old World, but will be provided with rules at the launch of the game.

Dark Elves
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Daemons of Chaos
Ogre Kingdoms
Lizardmen
Chaos Dwarfs
These legacy faction army lists will be made available for free as pdfs as a service to fans who have these classic armies on their shelf, so they can still bring them to battle for old times sake. We don’t plan to publish rules for Warhammer Age of Sigmar miniatures, except for those units that were part of the game and setting during the final edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

There might be a chance we'll see a TOW release this year.

quote:

Warhammer: The Old World is marching closer to release, and there’ll be another development diary coming at some time in June.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 23, 2023

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Weird they didn't mention Kislev and Cathay considering they were confirmed pretty early on. Maybe they'll be a part of a later release?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

A surprisingly comprehensive article about TOW's timeline and involved factions.
Yes I know this still a bad thread for it, but I don't think there's a WHF thread, and there's not enough info atm to really make a TOW thread worth it either.

The factions in question:

There might be a chance we'll see a TOW release this year.

No Skaven? Dead game

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The Tomb Kings are good tho

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Kislev and Cathay not being in on release is so weird because I swear GW made a ton of hullabaloo about how closely they worked with CA to create the unit roster, down to giving them an army list with stats. You'd think they'd be putting that front and center.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me if they switched focused after TW3 underperformed in their eyes.
They're probably coming, but during the second wave of releases.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Ah, another rug pull by GW about this old world stuff. Surely this will be the last time.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

With every new article and announcement, it seems like not many people are involved in the development of TOW.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
No Kislev is really surprising, considering they already had units and a tiny army lists in WHF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

No Kislev is really surprising, considering they already had units and a tiny army lists in WHF.

It just seems like they have a tiny skeleton crew working on this. An entirely new army would take up a shitload of sculptor time and new molds they don't seem to be willing to put out.

I'd guess the initial release will be some rules, a couple of new models for each of the factions, and then a rerelease of the old WFB range.

Basically, this just seems geared towards the Fantasy Guys who still have their WFB armies on squares.