Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Vinland Saga

Hild is right, but also, this won't end well no matter what action she takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

new Vinland Saga

Peacemaker Hild

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

new Vinland Saga

Hild is right, but will prove to be wrong in that her path will not be accepted by both sides.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ah yes, the good old "to prevent war, just murder anyone who wants it" solution. It never fails.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think that if Thorfinn fought Eonar and kicked his rear end, that would be enough to get him to calm down.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think that if Thorfinn fought Eonar and kicked his rear end, that would be enough to get him to calm down.

I agree, but also the story spent like 100 chapters establishing why Thorfinn won't do that unless he is outright attacked by Eonar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
vinland saga 199

well, this is one way to force a serious confrontation between thorfinn and hild.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You almost have to admire how quick Styrk's mind works.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
oof, good chapter i appreciate that ivar isn't actually plotting anything and really was almost oblivious to the political situation and read the intergroup conflict completely wrong, it explains things like completely misreading thorfinn and not even considering hild

also incredibly sad that karli just assumes hild is going to just go into her workshop and invent world peace. i hope he never has to lose his innocence in this series

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oof, good chapter i appreciate that ivar isn't actually plotting anything and really was almost oblivious to the political situation and read the intergroup conflict completely wrong, it explains things like completely misreading thorfinn and not even considering hild

also incredibly sad that karli just assumes hild is going to just go into her workshop and invent world peace. i hope he never has to lose his innocence in this series

Yeah Ivar is a bonehead but he never struck me as being actually violent or murderous, and turns out he was being manipulated by Stryk

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
e: Wild series of misclicks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hypocrisy posted:

You almost have to admire how quick Styrk's mind works.

Yeah he's way way smarter than he looks. A few times in some earlier chapters he seemed pretty clever as he was the one who did the best arguments. But until this chapter I did not realize he basically caught on to near everything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
S2 of the anime is really good, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I really like the change from the manga that Einar actually does try to kill Thorfinn instead of immediately thinking better of it, and has his calling Thorfinn his friend delayed a bit until after they've worked together a longer. I think it sells their respective traumas a bit better.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Best farming anime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

S2 of the anime is really good, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I really like the change from the manga that Einar actually does try to kill Thorfinn instead of immediately thinking better of it, and has his calling Thorfinn his friend delayed a bit until after they've worked together a longer. I think it sells their respective traumas a bit better.

I don't think Einar actually does.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He goes a lot farther with it than he did in the manga and seems to be far more conflicted about the realization that he can't do it. I agree with Sydin that it's a good change. Together with the stuff like spending first episode on his backstory, I feel that anime Einar is a lot more rounded character than he was at this point in the manga.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Vinland Saga anime’s first season was absolutely incredible and it was a shame it was stuck in amazon jail. I’m hoping that season 2 continues to be awesome, and maybe this time it gets some popularity.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/DanKantori/status/1620469838866173952

Seriously the anime is good.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The whole sequence where Einar straddles Thorfinn while he's sleeping and briefly tries to choke him to death is anime original. Likewise the part where he sounds off on Thorfinn as selfish for saying nothing good has ever happened in his life when he's alive and Einar's family is dead doesn't happen in the manga: there he just wakes Thorfinn up after the nightmare and then when Thorfinn asks why says it's because they're friends. A declaration which was also moved to the last scene of the most recent anime episode, where I think it fits better since it comes after Einar has spent months working alongside Thorfinn. As Lt. Lizard said all this along with the increased focus on Einar's backstory I think makes him a much stronger character than he is in the manga, and also fits in better with the overarching story themes that healing and change are possible even after experiencing the absolute lowest of possible lows.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 15, 2023

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
So, chapter 200 of Vinland Saga has been out for about a week.

Things are coming to a head, and it's not looking good (in-setting, the manga looks amazing). Apparently Yukimura has been glued to his writing desk, and that's why it's taking so long, as he's trying *really hard* to get it right.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9bd64c40-057a-467d-aec2-b422e78ad8a5

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s really good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you haven't seen it yet they brought back Survive Said the Prophet to do S2 OP 2 and it's an absolute goddamn banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTj2Hk6nEc

Aoi posted:

Things are coming to a head, and it's not looking good (in-setting, the manga looks amazing). Apparently Yukimura has been glued to his writing desk, and that's why it's taking so long, as he's trying *really hard* to get it right.

I'm very curious to see how Yukimura approaches the ending. Considering his personal views on violence I can't imagine he's going to go with a totally downer ending about conflict being unavoidable, but unless he plans to completely veer away from the Sagas this story is going to end with Thorfinn ultimately failing and having to go back to Iceland with his tail between his legs, and then dying shortly after. I certainly don't envy having to navigate such a tricky narrative situation.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I have been desperately hoping for Vinland Saga to end as alternate history rather than historical fiction since probably around where season 2 of the anime will end. I don’t want a bittersweet or tragic ending, I don’t want Thorfinn to fail and I don’t want Thorfinn to die thinking he made peace only for the genocide of the native americans to happen. I want Thorfinn to make peace with the natives and we get an aside that Christopher Columbus died on his way to the new world (died badly).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
give us a two-page spread of time fracturing like a mirror into an alternate future with natives and settlers getting along all

and columbus's ships burning off the coast

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Aoi posted:

It's interesting that the final obstacle to peace seems to be the native shaman, because his desire for war does not come from his social context like the Vikings, but from a vision that has given him essentially a modern context. The last obstacle to Thorfinn's peace is the understanding that Europeans will largely wipe out the indigenous people. And that's a pretty big obstacle that I can't imagine can be overcome just with some empathy and understanding.

Sydin posted:

I'm very curious to see how Yukimura approaches the ending. Considering his personal views on violence I can't imagine he's going to go with a totally downer ending about conflict being unavoidable, but unless he plans to completely veer away from the Sagas this story is going to end with Thorfinn ultimately failing and having to go back to Iceland with his tail between his legs, and then dying shortly after. I certainly don't envy having to navigate such a tricky narrative situation.
He's quite neatly given us a 2nd Thorfinn who can go back to Iceland and get mistaken in the historical record for the leader of the expedition. Though even that ending is tragic as Thorfinn 2.0 is a good translator and has a good relationship with the natives.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have been desperately hoping for Vinland Saga to end as alternate history rather than historical fiction since probably around where season 2 of the anime will end. I don’t want a bittersweet or tragic ending, I don’t want Thorfinn to fail and I don’t want Thorfinn to die thinking he made peace only for the genocide of the native americans to happen. I want Thorfinn to make peace with the natives and we get an aside that Christopher Columbus died on his way to the new world (died badly).
I don't think Columbus loving things up 500 years later would invalidate whatever community Thorfinn and the native people end up making. For all we know our society won't be around in 500 years, but it's still worth making sure we have a better one.

But yeah, the Sagas suggest things will get bad on a much shorter time scale, and I hope that doesn't happen in the way history remembers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sydin posted:

If you haven't seen it yet they brought back Survive Said the Prophet to do S2 OP 2 and it's an absolute goddamn banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTj2Hk6nEc

After the previous opening was one I skipped every time, this one just won't leave my head. So good. Survive Said the Prophet really is the band for Vinland Saga.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eiba posted:

He's quite neatly given us a 2nd Thorfinn who can go back to Iceland and get mistaken in the historical record for the leader of the expedition. Though even that ending is tragic as Thorfinn 2.0 is a good translator and has a good relationship with the natives.

On the one hand that would be kind of a neat way to do it and also a nice callback to the whole Ketil situation, but also yeah that's a lovely ending for Bug Eyes who's a good boy, and it's still not super clean because in the Sagas Gudrid and Snorri go back to Iceland with him and Snorri goes on to be kinda important to Iceland's early medieval history.

I don't think we're getting full on alt-history, but I do expect the vagueness of the Sagas to be taken advantage of to make the landing of the ultimate fate of the settlement a bit softer.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
what chapter was the start of thorfinn's duel with the crossbow bear hunter lady? I think that's where I left off

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Flesnolk posted:

what chapter was the start of thorfinn's duel with the crossbow bear hunter lady? I think that's where I left off

Chapter 114 is when Hild first appears if that helps.

Last scanlation chapter. We're getting simulpub for Vinland Saga now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That was a short chapter

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's been fan speculation for awhile but the most recent episode of the anime confirms that Snake is a former member of the Varangian Guard.

Also man, the expanded scenes with Gardar are absolutely heartbreaking. This season of the anime has done a phenomenal job of balancing delivering the audience compelling action while also ruminating on how abhorrent war and the consequences of systemic violence truly are.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Yeah, this season of the Vinland Saga anime has been incredible imo. I know some fans who hadn't read the manga were not ready for the big shift in pacing and tone, but I think the anime production team did a great job adapting the farm arc. The anime original Gardar stuff and the episode where Thorfinn has his dream and realizes he feels guilty over all the people he killed and swears off violence are probably two of the strongest episodes of the whole series.

Also Arnheid's VA has been incredible. A cut above most anime VAs in my opinion.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I agree with everything except the Gardar thing. I thought it was overly long and it already got the point across quickly and didn't need to reiterate it so much. Less is more!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

Yeah, this season of the Vinland Saga anime has been incredible imo. I know some fans who hadn't read the manga were not ready for the big shift in pacing and tone, but I think the anime production team did a great job adapting the farm arc. The anime original Gardar stuff and the episode where Thorfinn has his dream and realizes he feels guilty over all the people he killed and swears off violence are probably two of the strongest episodes of the whole series.

Also Arnheid's VA has been incredible. A cut above most anime VAs in my opinion.

Apparently, there were plans for a whole episode about Gardar's background, but they couldn't make it fit in the schedule.

Constantinople is just cursed to never appear in Vinland Saga. I guess you could say...

it's been a long time gone.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Anime original Constantinople arc...:v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

kiminewt posted:

I agree with everything except the Gardar thing. I thought it was overly long and it already got the point across quickly and didn't need to reiterate it so much. Less is more!

I've been enjoying it but they definitely could have compressed it down more, I guess they just knew exactly where they wanted the season to end and filled in the space with MORE GARDAR

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This week's episode had me ugly crying. And it lasted long enough that it got me started up again after I stopped.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

God, the Ketil reunion with Arnheid scene was horrible to read, but it's even worse to watch

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

i'm surprised vinland doesnt have an anime thread for itself, easily one of the best of this season. These last few eps have been incredibly loving raw

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna be honest, I don't think I can force myself to finish the 2nd season. Just reading the conclusion to the arc was brutal, I don't know if I could safely watch it without absolutely losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I think season 2 has had me crying in each episode, but I cry pretty easy these days