Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Covok posted:

As in, I should have lied. Do you think it cost me the interview?

You should have just not volunteered it, you having availability on a Monday isn't really all that weird and doesn't really require an explanation unless your current job is like, "24/7 monitoring for incoming nuclear missiles" or something

I don't think something like that would cost you the interview (though I've only conducted the technical side of interviews) but it definitely gave your hand away and gave them a bunch of leverage to use during negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shame Boy posted:

You should have just not volunteered it, you having availability on a Monday isn't really all that weird and doesn't really require an explanation unless your current job is like, "24/7 monitoring for incoming nuclear missiles" or something

I don't think something like that would cost you the interview (though I've only conducted the technical side of interviews) but it definitely gave your hand away and gave them a bunch of leverage to use during negotiation.

I guess. They asked if I was still with my current employer so I answered honestly. Next time, I'll lie. Oh well, I got another interview on 5/24.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Covok posted:

I guess. They asked if I was still with my current employer so I answered honestly. Next time, I'll lie. Oh well, I got another interview on 5/24.

I mean you're on two-weeks' notice right, technically you still are with your current employer.

Prolly shouldn't lie if you actually aren't though since that is one of the things that's specifically gonna get checked.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You should just say "Yes I am" but don't need further information. That said, I don't think what you said really would impact things much either way, so don't sweat it.

If you leave without a job lined up, then tell them about the payroll thing when they ask "Why did you leave your previous company". Don't talk about any of the owner drama. Just something like "They had a long history of having issues with making payroll and I am really looking for something more stable."

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
It’s gonna come up so it’s a wash, being honest is generally good. Not volunteering potential red flags is also good but meh.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Covok posted:

As in, I should have lied. Do you think it cost me the interview?

No, but it may cost you some money since you let them know ahead of time that your BATNA is weak.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Here is an odd question: my brother really, desperately wants me to go with him and the family on a disney vacation in August. Normally, I never take vacations, only staycations and I'd never take a day off within three months of joining a company, let alone a Wednesday to a Tuesday. How do you broach that subject while looking for a job?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I actually did pretty much exactly that back in 2022. I just said "hey I've got this booked and it's non-negotiable. I can take unpaid leave for it if you require me to". Things are slightly different here so if they made me take unpaid leave for all of it they'd have had to give me paid leave later anyway though, so YMMV as to whether or not that works for you.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Covok posted:

Here is an odd question: my brother really, desperately wants me to go with him and the family on a disney vacation in August. Normally, I never take vacations, only staycations and I'd never take a day off within three months of joining a company, let alone a Wednesday to a Tuesday. How do you broach that subject while looking for a job?

I've never had an issue with talking about preplanned time off during the offer stage. By that time you should have them on the hook. Who knows, maybe your offer doesn't even come until after August.

Worst case scenario, you just tell your brother in July that sorry you got a job and don't want to go and you're out the cost of the trip, or you pay for refundable tickets/hotels etc.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just tell them you have an already arranged family event on those days around the time of accepting the offer

There’s a 0.0% chance I pull an offer because of being out a couple days in the first 3 months. I’m fact I’d say >50% of people have some prearranged thing the first month

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It would not impact a decision if disclosed but if post start date the employee told me they had a bunch of poo poo going on near term I’d be kind of annoyed. Just tell people once you get in to the negotiation phase.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It would not impact a decision if disclosed but if post start date the employee told me they had a bunch of poo poo going on near term I’d be kind of annoyed. Just tell people once you get in to the negotiation phase.

Yeah, bring it up once you get an offer, not after you start. Shouldn't impact much and it isn't super uncommon.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, bring it up once you get an offer, not after you start. Shouldn't impact much and it isn't super uncommon.

(a good recruiter or HR person should ask about this anyway)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

It slots pretty easily into any negotiation about leave/vacation, etc. "Hey, so you're aware, I already have [X] set for [dates]. Since I won't yet have much leave accrued, how will we accommodate that?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alright, got a phone introduction / initial screening today. Haven't done one of these in like 8 years, is there any obvious ways I'm about to gently caress this up I should be wary of?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Alright, got a phone introduction / initial screening today. Haven't done one of these in like 8 years, is there any obvious ways I'm about to gently caress this up I should be wary of?

Practice what you're going to say. You could even type up a brief script or bullet list of skills/proficiencies - so if the listing says the candidate has to have experience in Jimbo software, be prepared to mention it and talk about how you use it.

Be prepared to answer why you're looking - be honest, but diplomatic. You can be looking because while you love where you are, you aren't sure about the company's long term financial stability, or they had a recent pullback in benefits, etc.

Be prepared to answer why you applied to THIS company specifically - why do you like them? What is attractive about them? What do they do that competitors don't?

Make sure you ask questions - ask about the benefits, and decide if that works for you. Some people like the unlimited PTO thing, and that's becoming more commonplace, but it's a dealbreaker for me, because I want the PTO I earned and can cash out when I leave. Ask if this role has a career track, etc.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Red posted:

Practice what you're going to say. You could even type up a brief script or bullet list of skills/proficiencies - so if the listing says the candidate has to have experience in Jimbo software, be prepared to mention it and talk about how you use it.

Yeah I started a lil' list to organize my thoughts

Red posted:

Be prepared to answer why you're looking - be honest, but diplomatic. You can be looking because while you love where you are, you aren't sure about the company's long term financial stability, or they had a recent pullback in benefits, etc.

I got laid off that's why :v:

Red posted:

Be prepared to answer why you applied to THIS company specifically - why do you like them? What is attractive about them? What do they do that competitors don't?

Make sure you ask questions - ask about the benefits, and decide if that works for you. Some people like the unlimited PTO thing, and that's becoming more commonplace, but it's a dealbreaker for me, because I want the PTO I earned and can cash out when I leave. Ask if this role has a career track, etc.

Thanks, made a note of both of these.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Red posted:

Just going to double down on this, but people like to talk. So if you can get the interviewer to talk and answer questions, they will like it and thus like you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think it went pretty well, used the "what differentiates a great computer toucher from just a computer toucher" line from the OP and they loved it so thanks :toot:

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I’ve signed an offer for a new employer but this situation is so weird and I’m not sure if I should be doing anything else.

After signing my offer and passing my background checks last week, HR sent over all my on-boarding steps, which included sending my new boss my address to deliver my laptop and some other information. I sent everything to her on Tuesday and Friday last week. I also sent a follow up email yesterday. But as of yet I haven’t gotten any responses from her. She shouldn’t be on vacation because she just returned from one last week. I followed up with HR this morning just to investigate if maybe my emails have gone into her spam folder (I had never emailed my new boss before) or if something else is going on but beyond saying they’ll investigate, I haven’t yet heard back.

My start date is June 5 so it’s still a little ways off but I’ve already given my current boss my notice. Is this a bad sign and something I should be worried about? The thought of my offer falling through for whatever reason has me worried even if it’s unlikely. I think I can stay with my current company if required and I have a great relationship with my boss, but it’s obviously an embarrassing situation and a decision I have to make soon. My new employer also has a great reputation so I don’t think this is something systemic. I’m just at a loss for what to do right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you have phone numbers for any of these people? It could just be as explainable as "She's Busy" or something. A phone call to say "Hey, I just want to check in and make sure you have everything from me that you need" is perfectly reasonable.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Do you have phone numbers for any of these people? It could just be as explainable as "She's Busy" or something. A phone call to say "Hey, I just want to check in and make sure you have everything from me that you need" is perfectly reasonable.

The only phone number I have is the HR rep I’ve been talking with via email who said she’ll check for me and she’s already good at replying. Every other meeting with my new boss and other team members has been via Zoom so I haven’t gotten any numbers.

My plan was another follow up with HR tomorrow, but yeah, I’ll ask for my new boss’ number too. Doesn’t hurt to give her a call at all.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
How do you best cover up a big resume gap? I got a very late start in my career (failed HS, limped into Uni later) with a terrible mature age BA transcript but pulled out a good two years of work in my late twenties ending in a glowing reference letter and some poo poo like “was company representative for X city, regional top performer, handled onboarding, etc.”! … only for Covid to hit and knock me out for about a year. Went into my masters after that and got American equivalent to 4.0 straight across the board but poo poo happened again so I dropped to part time. Then I graduated only for more bullshit so I’ve been out of work for a couple of years.

Essentially my transcript is:

X lovely small jobs and volunteering from ten years+ ago
X Terrible transcript BA
X Two years overseas work with great reference letter
X ????? Covid???
X 4.0 Masters
X 4.0 Masters
X ???????
X ????????

Wherein each ??? Is a year of Nothing that looks really terrible and obvious, and explaining what happened in them is a horrorshow. The latest two years are the real issue since I no longer have the “Covid happens iso” waiver I could use pre-masters to justify a gap.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No sense sugarcoating it--HR software at big companies is probably going to auto-shitcan your resume before a human ever sees it. Even if a human does see it, they'll probably be inclined to hire someone less risky. I think your best bet is to target smaller companies that won't feed your resume through screening software, at least.

Outside of academia, interviewers aren't going to be super interested in your academic work--that's just your qualifications to get an interview. You'll need to blow them away with how awesome you were in your role abroad, and tell a drat good (and short) story on why you haven't worked in years.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

coolusername posted:

How do you best cover up a big resume gap? I got a very late start in my career (failed HS, limped into Uni later) with a terrible mature age BA transcript but pulled out a good two years of work in my late twenties ending in a glowing reference letter and some poo poo like “was company representative for X city, regional top performer, handled onboarding, etc.”! … only for Covid to hit and knock me out for about a year. Went into my masters after that and got American equivalent to 4.0 straight across the board but poo poo happened again so I dropped to part time. Then I graduated only for more bullshit so I’ve been out of work for a couple of years.

Essentially my transcript is:

X lovely small jobs and volunteering from ten years+ ago
X Terrible transcript BA
X Two years overseas work with great reference letter
X ????? Covid???
X 4.0 Masters
X 4.0 Masters
X ???????
X ????????

Wherein each ??? Is a year of Nothing that looks really terrible and obvious, and explaining what happened in them is a horrorshow. The latest two years are the real issue since I no longer have the “Covid happens iso” waiver I could use pre-masters to justify a gap.

Post your resume, this isn’t a helpful description.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

No sense sugarcoating it--HR software at big companies is probably going to auto-shitcan your resume before a human ever sees it. Even if a human does see it, they'll probably be inclined to hire someone less risky. I think your best bet is to target smaller companies that won't feed your resume through screening software, at least.

Outside of academia, interviewers aren't going to be super interested in your academic work--that's just your qualifications to get an interview. You'll need to blow them away with how awesome you were in your role abroad, and tell a drat good (and short) story on why you haven't worked in years.

The automated resume screening stuff keeps out a lot of great candidates, it's poo poo across the board and it's why one of the best ways to get an interview anywhere is to know someone already there.

I think with covid and the recovery after, the massive layoffs and weird job situation the last year, resume gaps aren't as bad as they were 5-10 years ago. You'll need a story for them, people will probably ask you what you've been up to the last 12-24 months (they might not and just assume something covid / job search related).

I think all the stigma around resume gaps is just dumb. There are many valid reasons to not want to cover large gaps of time on a resume, it's just an easy way for places to filter people out when they have more applicants than they have time to properly review resumes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

No sense sugarcoating it--HR software at big companies is probably going to auto-shitcan your resume before a human ever sees it.

Is there any way a regular person can get their resume audited by this sort of software to see if there's something on there that's an automatic "no"?

Or are there resume templates known to punch through the screening software reliably? This one seems to come up a lot.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 19, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Part time can be massaged to look less red flaggy, at least on a glance. I agree, post the resume. It's hard to figure out the story your crafting without seeing it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

McCracAttack posted:

Is there any way a regular person can get their resume audited by this sort of software to see if there's something on there that's an automatic "no"?

Or are there resume templates known to punch through the screening software reliably? This one seems to come up a lot.

This template looks nice. Do people typically make their resumes with LaTeX? It's a program I've heard of but never used.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

This template looks nice. Do people typically make their resumes with LaTeX? It's a program I've heard of but never used.

If you're an academic or similar weirdo who already knows LaTeX, absolutely. If you're just some dude I prolly wouldn't recommend it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shame Boy posted:

If you're an academic or similar weirdo who already knows LaTeX, absolutely. If you're just some dude I prolly wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm. Well, I'm a software developer and it doesn't look too complicated, said man seconds from disaster.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Hmm. Well, I'm a software developer and it doesn't look too complicated, said man seconds from disaster.

I'm in a similar situation and the source code seems simple enough. Presumably you still need to export a PDF or some such once you're finished and upload that to job applications.

I can't decide if using a resume template HR has probably seen a thousand times designed to punch through screening software is something that would annoy or impress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LaTeX is loving amazing at every use case it's suited for. If you do any kind of layout work it's definitely worth learning. Not worth learning just to make a resume with though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LaTeX makes it really easy to get your document layout to 95% but if you care about that last 5% you are in for a bad time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

LaTeX makes it really easy to get your document layout to 95% but if you care about that last 5% you are in for a bad time.

Yeah this was my experience last time I tried it too.

Honestly it's my experience doing anything non-trivial with every markup language out there :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chainclaw posted:

I think with covid and the recovery after, the massive layoffs and weird job situation the last year, resume gaps aren't as bad as they were 5-10 years ago. You'll need a story for them, people will probably ask you what you've been up to the last 12-24 months (they might not and just assume something covid / job search related).
I've been in a similar situation and I just go with the story of "I took whatever work I could get to keep money flowing in and I've only included the stuff that's relevant. You probably don't care that I worked part time for Games Workshop in 2005, for example, but me learning about BCP via hands on experience rotating tapes in my datacenter role is worth bringing up". This leads them to assume you stacked shelves in WalMart or whatever while you kept applying.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shame Boy posted:

If you're an academic or similar weirdo who already knows LaTeX

Yea this only huge fuckin nerds do it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I've been in a similar situation and I just go with the story of "I took whatever work I could get to keep money flowing in and I've only included the stuff that's relevant. You probably don't care that I worked part time for Games Workshop in 2005, for example, but me learning about BCP via hands on experience rotating tapes in my datacenter role is worth bringing up". This leads them to assume you stacked shelves in WalMart or whatever while you kept applying.

This is the right approach. A good employer will care about skills and personality first.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's a pilot way to cancel an interview? I accepted a zoom call on Tuesday. My new recruiter, who I actually trust, called and I mentioned the company's name. He was fine with one of the companies, but this other one he told me that I should steer clear. He said it has high turnover and a lot of placements runaway. I looked them up online and he was right. So, now I don't want to bother. What's a good way to decline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Thank you for the opportunity, but I am withdrawing my application. Please remove me from further consideration for this position.