Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Adenoid Dan posted:

But you don't start by learning a random assortment of words, you start with the ones that follow the basic pattern. It's a framework to add on to, and kids will move on from there to recognizing words by sight without having to think about it, naturally and gradually.

Yeah, and for all the people making GBS threads on sight-reading as a concept, it is clearly a workable solution, even if it's perhaps not perfect or ideal, because Japan and China have extremely high literacy rates and essentially no option for phonetic instruction (hiragana, katakana, pinyin aside -- you ain't literate in Mandarin or Japanese if you only know those systems).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PT6A posted:

Same. The problem is literally not showing up. Maybe they hate school because they're bullied, maybe they have to work to put food on the table and pay rent, maybe they don't have reliable transportation, maybe they're homeless because they got thrown out for being LGBTQ, maybe they were failed very early on in their education and do not have the most basic skills required to pass high school, maybe they have substance use disorders.

It's all very easy to say "high school's really loving easy" because, in general, it is; however, if you don't address the factors that cause people to simply not even be able to reach that bar, you can't fix the problem.

Right I'm trying to understand these reasons and not trying to be elitist or anything. I do remember that our hometown sent cops to your home if you missed school too much without excuses so I guess I couldn't understand how people didn't show up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the main reason that stops/prevents Americans from getting a high school diploma? Serious question here because my experience of high school in the early 2000s to 2006 was “if you can breath and say your name you will literally pass every single class and graduate” or at least that’s how I remember it.

According to this, it is primarily because they just aren't going to school at all.

https://dropoutprevention.org/resources/statistics/quick-facts/why-students-drop-out/

quote:

The top three school-related reasons high school students drop out of school are they:

(1) missed too many school days (43.5%)
(2) they thought it would be easier to get a general education diploma (40.5%)
(3) they were getting poor grades or failing school (38%)

People can be counted in multiple categories, so a lot of the "missed too many days" and "poor/failing grades" have significant overlap.

After those, it is:

quote:

Did not like school 36.6%
Could not keep up with schoolwork 32.1%
Was Pregnant 27.8%
Got a job 27.8%
Could not get along with teachers 25.0%

About 9% of Americans don't get their high school diploma. So, if you combine them into general categories, it seems to indicate that not going to school at all (and issues directly related to not showing up) is the #1 issue, thought it would be easier to get a GED is #2, getting pregnant or getting a job is #3, and behavioral issues/conflict with teachers is #4.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This is a country where a significant number of children are using their days wondering where their next meal is coming from. And I chose that phrasing very, very specifically. Try not eating for 24 hours before a surgery or something. That really, really sucks and you're distracted all day thinking about it. Now do it as a lifestyle and it gets a million times worse. It is flat out not in the realm of the comprehensible unless it has happened to you. Chronic malnourishment is something our bodies react to really, really, REALLY loving strongly and it simply does not leave room for anything else in your brain. It's a constant, relentless hijacking of your thought process. Like the ocean tides were made of distraction and suffering only they're happening inside your skull. Then tell that kid they have to sit still in a classroom and listen to someone talk at them as a full time job. Yeah they're not going to make it through school, what a loving shocker.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Latin is a phonetic language so we should teach first graders Latin with phonics and then have them apply their knowledge of roots to English reading. :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mellow Seas posted:

1. People are more exposed to upsetting information about the economy and society because the internet has changed how information is promulgated. This also makes them more aware that their own situation is possibly precarious. So they are more pessimistic overall.

Just an anecdote but I kinda experience this irl with one of my acquaintances. He has an hourly wage job and makes ends meet from what I see, he just wants more. I totally understand and get that, but his way of "getting more" seems to be "binge watch 24/7 news about the stock market." When we used to hang out and stuff he'd constantly drone on and on and on about his Robinhood account, the inflation, the stagflation, this and that, just repeating and spouting off everything he heard on the stock market news about how x is looking good and y is not and so forth. I didn't pry but I imagine he got into gambling"""investing""" and somehow thinks the stock market news applies to him. I stopped hanging out with him slowly over time cause he was always so pessimistic about the economy and dooming about how THIS WEEK and THIS EVENT is going to be the major thing that drives the markets.

Like if my assumption of him investing in memestocks is correct he literally would have a better life today if he just didn't, and his qol would prolly be better if it wasn't so negative focused on the "economy" in a sector (the stock market) that literally doesn't affect a hourly wage earning person.

bird food bathtub posted:

This is a country where a significant number of children are using their days wondering where their next meal is coming from. And I chose that phrasing very, very specifically. Try not eating for 24 hours before a surgery or something. That really, really sucks and you're distracted all day thinking about it. Now do it as a lifestyle and it gets a million times worse. It is flat out not in the realm of the comprehensible unless it has happened to you. Chronic malnourishment is something our bodies react to really, really, REALLY loving strongly and it simply does not leave room for anything else in your brain. It's a constant, relentless hijacking of your thought process. Like the ocean tides were made of distraction and suffering only they're happening inside your skull. Then tell that kid they have to sit still in a classroom and listen to someone talk at them as a full time job. Yeah they're not going to make it through school, what a loving shocker.

I'm just coming off of a 72 hour fast. I stopped thinking about food after day 1.

e: this isn't to dismiss the concern that kids are in fact starving, but i don't think it's as big of a psychological issue as you're suggesting but i say this without any sources. all i know is millions, maybe billions, of people fast the entire day for weeks at a time and they seem to be able to cope with "feeling hungry".

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 23, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Not to mention all the diseases and outright cognitive deficits that can come from chronic malnutrition.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm sure there are likely compounded issues with the high school diploma issue. Not getting a high school diploma sets you up for lower earnings and could be the result of a problem with "normal" functioning like disability, impulse control, or family situation (all of which may indicate trouble later in life regardless), but it is pretty interesting that people without high school degrees seem to have different perceptions and experiences that are tied to the degree and not as present in people with a high school degree in the same income bracket. Just graduating high school at all seems to impact your perception of yourself and how everybody else is doing - even if you are making the same money as someone without a degree.

The key takeaways seem to be that roughly 9% of the country is living in a completely different world that is totally disconnected from the "average" person or even "average" lower-income person. And another roughly 11% to 14% are basically in the same boat as them. So, about 20% to 24% of Americans have perceptions of themselves/the greater population and country, relationships to labor, ways of performing that labor, how they receive their income (and the consistency with which they receive that income), and lived daily experience that are essentially completely foreign to the other 80% to 76% of the population.

And the gap in experiences is only getting larger with remote work, more people going to college, and geographic re-sorting of money/population that is primarily driven by education levels and income. Which is sort of a blessing and a curse, because that smaller disconnected group is getting slowly smaller over time, but that smaller number of people is becoming even more culturally, economically, and geographically isolated at the same time.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 23, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to this, it is primarily because they just aren't going to school at all.

On top of all of this:

1) Education gaps can occur as soon as 1st Grade and unless a school is well resourced, those gaps get larger.
2) American teachers are still predominantly white and only now are being trained in like DEI/cultural competency.
3) Constant underfunding from the states and practically know funding from the federal government.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Children's education attainment is highly correlated to their parent's education attainment, it's essentially a feedback loop. Kids with college educated parents are more likely to get a college degree than ones without one, and the reverse where kids with parents that have no high school degree are also more likely to end up without a HS degree. This usually has a bigger impact on a child's education levels than the quality of the schools they attend or teachers they have.

College educated parents are more invested in their children's education because they value that education more. They also have better paying jobs that allow more flexibility, which means they can spend more time investing in their children. They are more prepared to help children with classwork, get them in to afterschool activities, get them tutoring if their child needs it, etc. There are studies out there that can more or less predict how a person will be doing at 48 just based on the education levels of their parents when that person was just 8.

Parents without HS degrees are poorer, have less predictable jobs, can't afford after school activities, and have a harder time helping with classwork. This all leads to less parental supervision over their child, and the child also doesn't see the value in the education because their parents don't have one. They are also more likely to live in poorer areas affected by violence, and drugs, and the already mentioned lack of food security. You're less likely to go to school if you're worried about getting shot on your way there, and you're less likely to go to school if your parents don't care if you go either.

This has a decent summary of multiple studies done on parental education as it relates to childhood educational outcomes if you want to read it.
https://militaryfamilies.psu.edu/wp...an06.final_.pdf

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 23, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the main reason that stops/prevents Americans from getting a high school diploma? Serious question here because my experience of high school in the early 2000s to 2006 was “if you can breath and say your name you will literally pass every single class and graduate” or at least that’s how I remember it.

In my case it was basically never being awake and being high all the time. Also skipping school a lot. It's not hard to flunk out of high school but it's also not exactly easy to pass high school. Definitely not as easy as you make it out to be. Although for me high school was mid to late 90s so maybe things are different now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: this isn't to dismiss the concern that kids are in fact starving, but i don't think it's as big of a psychological issue as you're suggesting but i say this without any sources. all i know is millions, maybe billions, of people fast the entire day for weeks at a time and they seem to be able to cope with "feeling hungry".

you're not a growing child (I assume) and not chronically malnourished because you never actually get enough food? What a weird take

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The Dodgers reversed themselves and are now inviting the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence again with an apology :toot:.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/23/los-angeles-dodgers-queer-drag-nuns

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Gyges posted:

It's almost like our system of highly local and highly politicized elections of randos to run school systems is as loving stupid as when we do it for other vital but specialized jobs that shouldn't be elected positions.

NPR did an excellent series on the history of teaching how to read in American schools, and one of the areas of resistance to phonics instruction was actually teachers themselves, who preferred the older more "independent" methods (which didn't work). There was indeed a political angle to this in the early 2000s, but it was actually distrust towards phonics among teacher because it was a Republican President (George W. Bush) pushing it.

https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

This is a country where a significant number of children are using their days wondering where their next meal is coming from. And I chose that phrasing very, very specifically.

Just throwing this out there as an educator, but I see many, many school districts that have moved towards free breakfasts/free lunch/even after-school take home meals to try to combat this, but one thing I see again and again at my school is kids who will get an entire free lunch, eat the sugary/salty portion, and throw out everything else; milk, fruit, veggies. Or they'll take a bite of something, decide they don't like it, and refuse the rest.

Resources are part of the battle, but if students won't eat what schools or local food pantries provide, the issue is a lot harder to solve.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Additionally, there's a huge difference between fasting by choice or as part of a community/cultural tradition and going hungry because it was imposed on you by force or circumstances beyond your control/understanding.

Not having the option to quit something (or not knowing if you even have the option to quit) should things become too much to bear is an incredible additional stressor for any situation. Especially for a child.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jarmak posted:

Yes, of course you start somewhere, but that stops being useful after the reading level of cat in the hat.

Phonics is still useful for word acquisition at any point where you might come across unfamiliar words, which is life long. Does it always give you the "correct" answer? No, but what does it matter It usually gives you one that is good enough, though, so if you use the word and someone knows the pronunciation correctly, they'll still be able to recognize the word and be able to correct you. It also gives you an audio equivalent upon encountering the word that helps memorize the written word, even if the pronunciation is way off.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah this is great. Listened to it earlier this year. Absolutely eye opening. I made sure to check with my kid's school and see if they were teaching this (luckily they weren't... and my kid is an amazing reader so yay).

As for homework. When my daughter was in Kindergarten, the amount of homework she had was INSANE. Like every day stuff with other tasks that were month or weeklong. Just loving ludicrous. Luckily her first grade teacher was wiser. "No homework. Your home time is family time. If there IS something that needs to be focused on, I'll tell you about it and you're to spend no more than 15 minutes at home on it."

Now the school she's at (different state) has a strict no homework policy for elementary school. I love it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tom Carper's retirement is likely to also (indirectly) lead to the first transgender member of Congress.

Delaware only has one congressional seat and their current representative is considering running for Tom Carper's seat in 2024. That would open the only congressional seat and a leading transgender state lawmaker is planning to run for it if the seat does open. She says that she will stay in the Delaware state house if their current Congresswoman declines to run and keeps her seat.

https://twitter.com/Zachary_Cohen/status/1660758352228392961

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GlyphGryph posted:

Phonics is still useful for word acquisition at any point where you might come across unfamiliar words, which is life long. Does it always give you the "correct" answer? No, but what does it matter It usually gives you one that is good enough, though, so if you use the word and someone knows the pronunciation correctly, they'll still be able to recognize the word and be able to correct you. It also gives you an audio equivalent upon encountering the word that helps memorize the written word, even if the pronunciation is way off.

In the Sold A Story podcast, they talk about the usage of phonics vs the contextual word identification method. When starting out, kids learned relatively equally well with both. But the *second* you get out of the kid's book with pictures phase, the contextual method just hits a brick wall of course and the kids that are taught phonics are able to figure it out and move forward.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

NPR did an excellent series on the history of teaching how to read in American schools, and one of the areas of resistance to phonics instruction was actually teachers themselves, who preferred the older more "independent" methods (which didn't work). There was indeed a political angle to this in the early 2000s, but it was actually distrust towards phonics among teacher because it was a Republican President (George W. Bush) pushing it.

https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

The problem with phonics is everybody is so loving certain.

In the US the current consensus is phonics = good, love of learning = bad. There are radio documentary programs about it(that apm show). It’s what parents want in most places right now in the US. The public, the research, the teaching professionals all seems to be pro phonics.

But if you look at the UK. It’s the opposite.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/jan/19/focus-on-phonics-to-teach-reading-is-failing-children-says-landmark-study
Phonics is being regarded in the manner love of learning is regarded here.

The certainty our educational systems have of correctness, is the big problem to me. This poo poo changes regularly, these methods go in and out. But our systems are always so breathlessly certain in the moment of the current methodologies that they are inflexible. The inflexibility arising from the certainty sets up the oppositional dynamics with parents.

Especially as the root of what actually drives outcome is the economic class of the parents. Direct cash aid to poor families would matter an awful lot more than curricula. But that never comes up in the curricula discussion.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I wouldn't say its "the opposite" at all in the UK. Love of learning is not part of the approach, and they don't recommend dropping phonics. And phonics is not being regarded as some nonsense. Instead, the recommendation included phonics as part of the approach rather than the sole approach.

quote:

The report outlines three key approaches to the teaching of reading. As well as the government’s preferred approach using systematic synthetic phonics, there is a whole-language approach, where the focus is on real texts, the emphasis is on reading for meaning and any phonics teaching is non-systematic. The third approach is “balanced instruction” which balances the different approaches

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Especially as the root of what actually drives outcome is the economic class of the parents. Direct cash aid to poor families would matter an awful lot more than curricula. But that never comes up in the curricula discussion.

Probably because any number of stakeholders would bristle at already meager school resource funds being taken away and used for other social policies. Don’t get me wrong, you’re right in that those are needs which have solid justifications for being met by someones pool of money somewhere, but when a district spent a lot of money on bad curricula because of some reactionary policy fad, when the results on the ground are obvious and a large fraction of the student population can’t read (only speaking for my local district here) spending money on things that aren’t a new curriculum while the old bad one is in place is a non starter. I think is premature to throw hands up, say sunk cost on love of learning strategies that must remain in place, and then go looking for other problems to solve with the money that should be going to school curriculum resources.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In the US the current consensus is phonics = good, love of learning = bad.

What the hell method of learning to read is "love of learning", and what rear end in a top hat named it that?

Also, I'm not sure why certainty that phonics is useful is bad considering even your example article of the opposite belief seems to think it is? The criticism seems to be that the focus is too narrow and other necessary components aren't being taught well enough, not that phonics isn't useful.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 23, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

What the hell method of learning to read is "love of learning", and what rear end in a top hat named it that?

Also, I'm not sure why certainty that phonics is useful is bad considering even your example article of the opposite belief seems to think it is? The criticism seems to be that the focus is too narrow and other necessary components aren't being taught well enough, not that phonics isn't useful.

The textbook companies. Which is the other problem.

What happen in some states is that the curriculum becomes legislated and standardized and there isn’t flexibility at the classroom level. It gets extremely narrow and they don’t deviate even when it’s extremely obvious it isn’t working.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The problem with phonics is everybody is so loving certain.

In the US the current consensus is phonics = good, love of learning = bad. There are radio documentary programs about it(that apm show). It’s what parents want in most places right now in the US. The public, the research, the teaching professionals all seems to be pro phonics.

But if you look at the UK. It’s the opposite.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/jan/19/focus-on-phonics-to-teach-reading-is-failing-children-says-landmark-study
Phonics is being regarded in the manner love of learning is regarded here.

The certainty our educational systems have of correctness, is the big problem to me. This poo poo changes regularly, these methods go in and out. But our systems are always so breathlessly certain in the moment of the current methodologies that they are inflexible. The inflexibility arising from the certainty sets up the oppositional dynamics with parents.

I sacrificed my career as an exec at a AAA video game company upon the rocks of trying to improve education in the USA in the mid 1990’s. The common thread to educational reform in the USA is failure.

I do recommend this video if you want to see a system that managed to fix itself. Meanwhile, in the USA, the beatings will continue until (student/teacher) morale improves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8S7G2Iw24

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Probably because any number of stakeholders would bristle at already meager school resource funds being taken away and used for other social policies.

It shouldn’t be from school resources.

We should not expect schools to solve what is a socioeconomic problem. We should give direct and substantial cash aid to poor parents entirely outside of any school funding.

VideoGameVet posted:

I sacrificed my career as an exec at a AAA video game company upon the rocks of trying to improve education in the USA in the mid 1990’s. The common thread to educational reform in the USA is failure.

Here’s an old one and I don’t think it’s from a company you had anything to do with. Did you see “Rocky’s Boots”. I’d kill for new games for my kids that were like what used to come out The Learning Company before they got bought out by SoftKey.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It shouldn’t be from school resources.

We should not expect schools to solve what is a socioeconomic problem. We should give direct and substantial cash aid to poor parents entirely outside of any school funding.

Here’s an old one and I don’t think it’s from a company you had anything to do with. Did you see “Rocky’s Boots”. I’d kill for new games for my kids that were like what used to come out The Learning Company before they got bought out by SoftKey.

Oh there were so many decent educational apps/games in the 1980’s/1990’s.

I left Activision to help run Lightspan in 1994. They started with the British Telecom/Apple settop box in 1994 and when that got canceled, I was charged with finding a platform that could do decent video and run our educational games. I picked the PlayStation in ‘95.. Lightspan in terms of the number of titles, was the largest PS1 publisher (over 100 discs). Yeah, they are simple 2D games for the most part, but they were tried to actual state standards etc.

Doing an IPO a month before the market crash of 2000 pretty much up-ended my life but that’s another tale.

I’m still doing educational games or games with educational value. Most recently TheClimateTrail.com and an Anagram game blended with content (educational or otherwise).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- The increasing disconnect between people's perceptions of their own economic situation (roughly 3/4 think they are doing fine to great) and the perception of the national economy overall (despite 3/4 of people thinking they are doing fine to great, more than 4 out of 5 Americans assume everyone else is doing much worse than they are). The divergence of the perception in the national economy to local economy is also very interesting (the general perception is that they are doing fine, everyone else in the country is doing very poorly, and everyone in their local area is doing okay.) There's still not a clear definitive reason why those perceptions have completely diverged.

People just recognise that just because they're stable and comfortable now, that doesn't mean poo poo when all that can evaporate in the blink of an eye. 2008 wiped out so much of the middle class to enrich the ultra wealthy, and everyone can see the squeezing again as prices go up and wages don't. While the myth of literally everyone believing they're 'middle class' remains, there's still awareness of genuine volatility, and that no one is coming to save them. 'The economy' as described by the media increasingly obviously does not, for all intents and purposes, include the vast majority of people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I've worked with Ed Reformers and they fundamentally do not understand the system, its goals, and what they want it to do. Nor will they do what is really necessary to reform education because usually they come from affluent background and figure its the teachers and administrators problems. They expect results immediately when it may take years to decades to see results of a policy change.

American public education isn't great but the people who want to change it are the worst people to put in charge of it basically. Until you decouple location from funding, not much will change.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1661051205769109505

The federal employees union has filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the debt limit, and are seeking an emergency injunction. Apparently they're tired of not receiving paychecks every time the government shuts down. The Biden administration is now planning to defend the debt ceiling law against this lawsuit, which is very on-brand.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mooseontheloose posted:

American public education isn't great but the people who want to change it are the worst people to put in charge of it basically. Until you decouple location from funding, not much will change.

A decent case study in doing this, incidentally, is Vermont's Act 60 back in the 90s. In very brief and not doing it justice, the state Supreme Court ruled that Vermont having localities fund education through property taxes meant the richer town (largely but not exclusively in Chittenden County) ended up with vastly better funded schools than the poorer, more rural ones (again, chiefly but not exclusively in the NEK, where not coincidentally I was growing up at the time) which violated the state constitutional right to equal education. Consequently, the legislature had to rush through legislation remedying this, which became Act 60, which again to boil a complicated matter down more than it deserves, allowed the state government to manage school funding directly, which hasn't worked out perfectly but has resulted in real improvement in the poorer parts of the state, though initially the district used to fatter funding struggled to get by on less than what they'd been used to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People just recognise that just because they're stable and comfortable now, that doesn't mean poo poo when all that can evaporate in the blink of an eye. 2008 wiped out so much of the middle class to enrich the ultra wealthy, and everyone can see the squeezing again as prices go up and wages don't. While the myth of literally everyone believing they're 'middle class' remains, there's still awareness of genuine volatility, and that no one is coming to save them. 'The economy' as described by the media increasingly obviously does not, for all intents and purposes, include the vast majority of people.

Yeah; there's a reason that people are afraid to seek out medical care, in particular, bc even if they have insurance they can't absorb the deductibles & copays (much less out-of-network care, although the Trump-era "no surprises" bill likely has helped with that to some degree). Afaik, medical bills still constitute the majority of reasons for personal bankruptcy, even after the laughable "fix" to bar credit agencies from including bills of less than $500, which is about what a comprehensive physical & bloodwork runs these days and nothing close to, say, an ED visit.

Also, over 25 percent of people (over time!) feeling economically insecure and/or doing badly is a pretty massive figure given our country's population. It's one of those figures, like half of all seniors relying on social security as their main income source, that is boggling in its ramifications when you consider the actual number of vulnerable people.

And people might be perceiving the economy to be doing worse than they are themselves, but they also might be perceiving their own situations to be better than they actually are (eg, debt-to-income ratios).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cat botherer posted:

The federal employees union has filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the debt limit, and are seeking an emergency injunction. Apparently they're tired of not receiving paychecks every time the government shuts down. The Biden administration is now planning to defend the debt ceiling law against this lawsuit, which is very on-brand.

It's because most of the assholes in charge firmly believe that playing chicken with the global economy once a year or so is how the system is supposed to work. Having perpetual inflection points where something has to happen is how our system continues to limp along. Because since something has to happen we can now cram in a bunch of poo poo that otherwise wouldn't happen because the system is broken.

Biden doesn't want to mint the coin or invoke the 14th. He desperately wants to make a sloppy poo poo sandwich of a deal with McCarthy, or just watch him cave. Fixing issues takes those issues out rotation for fund raising, as cudgels to beat the left, and as opportunities to rally the party together. Actually doing things is anathema to the very ethos of our political system since sometime between Eisenhower and Reagan.

Much like climate change, relatively minor changes to our crumbling system enacted decades ago could have prevented the current state of affairs where we are running full tilt towards catastrophe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cat botherer posted:

That is just a motion for conference. Both the government employees and the government agree with it, that's why it is a joint resolution.

It just indicates that they disagree about whether a preliminary injunction is necessary while waiting for litigation. They aren't defending the constitutionality of the debt ceiling itself.

Edit: Reading the main brief, it looks like what they are arguing is that they don't want a preliminary injunction because it would set a precedent of courts and staff setting priorities in a financial triage situation and take away the power of the Treasury department to use discretion about where limited funding would go during an emergency situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 23, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Elon definitely isn’t picking sides though

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1661071111499530241?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what was that poo poo about elon from some poo poo newspaper? "his politics are just so mysterious" or whatever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Concerning

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Much like Musk's rockets, DeSantis will likely explode soon after liftoff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

E: Double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

For some reason, the funniest part of this whole thing is that Musk brought on a moderator to moderate a campaign announcement with only one other person.

And that moderator is David Sacks.

It's almost a parody of what a tech bro would do if they were trying to make something sound fancier.