Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vermain posted:

there was also something very gummy feeling about the engine, like orb walking felt real bad and none of the skills seemed to have any real weight to them

yeah, nothing had any real crunch impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

MOBAs are worse than MMOs. Sorry

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CG announce trailers basically those lovely 5 second clips at the start of the actual trailer that goes "The trailer is about to begin!"

You don't need to do that
Stop doing that

Just show the actual trailer with gameplay

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is the best Clive Barker game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jericho.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinitum posted:

CG announce trailers basically those lovely 5 second clips at the start of the actual trailer that goes "The trailer is about to begin!"

You don't need to do that
Stop doing that

Just show the actual trailer with gameplay

The 5 second clips are there for when the trailer gets run as a YouTube ad so they at least get their pitch in before you skip the ad.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jay Rust posted:

What is the best Clive Barker game?

Undying. Has not aged well in the slightest, though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh I thought he had done the Condemned games. Guess not

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The 5 second clips are there for when the trailer gets run as a YouTube ad so they at least get their pitch in before you skip the ad.

I hate the future

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm excited for the new MK game. I've run out of 3 hour long fatality videos to watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Imagine Mewtwo doing psychic fatality moves on Sub-Zero. That woul dbe sick

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One time at a family gathering my cousin took me aside to show me the latest sickest MK fatalities on his phone, if it happens again idk what I'm going to do

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
you should kick his rear end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

ironically, i found it deeply unfun because of its more casual design: the smoothed power curves across teams made trying to carry weaker players feel next to impossible, and the multiple different maps and per-hero talent trees is an arguably greater burden of knowledge than something like league. there was also something very gummy feeling about the engine, like orb walking felt real bad and none of the skills seemed to have any real weight to them

i certainly don't fault people for finding that kind of loose arcade style of gameplay fun, and i think the market absolutely had room for a more casual MOBA experience. it beggars belief that HotS was doing so badly that they had to yank nearly every last resource away from it

The casual MoBa would need a way to keep people who would think in terms of "carry" away from people who are not into the sport.

At the end of the day, the things that make a good game are so far from the thing that create a profitable service, and the latter thing has better luck overlapping with sport-gamer habits.

Not sports like football, but the videogames that are more like sports than they are just fun games, many of them literally don't even play without involving other competitors and teammates.

E-sports used to be a joke and all tied up with ludicrous sponsor attempts but I think it's more useful as a term now to draw a distinction between two very fundamentally gaming experiences. I could dog on FPS or MOBA or other types of games I just think suck rear end to have to ever play, but it's not that useful because there are definitely some shooters I've enjoyed, Deathloop is some of the most fun I ever had with gun violence games.

I think the main single thing I don't enjoy in videogames as an art medium are the games that feel like they don't want to be art, they want to be a competitive activity, a sport. They want to win and make someone else lose, they enjoy the thrill of competition, the meta the strategy all of the things you'd consider very important when playing a competitive sport.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
when I crushed my Blizzard account over the Hong Kong fiasco, the only game I shedded a tear for was HOTS.

quite possibly the closest thing we'll ever get to a Lost Vikings sequel (I guess I also miss Murky, too)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hatty posted:

you should kick his rear end

do not do a fatality though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Most likely i'd gently caress it up and my "finishing blow" would be a weak jab by accident

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

they called the 12th Mortal Kombat game Mortal Kombat 1

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Imagine Mewtwo doing psychic fatality moves on Sub-Zero. That woul dbe sick

remember when Mewtwo did a fatality on Ash in the first Pokemon movie

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

raditts posted:

29th :eng101:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

do I need to have played the previous 0 mortal kombats??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the previous 28 stories have been kompiled into a kompendium

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jay Rust posted:

do I need to have played the previous 0 mortal kombats??

Just watch the 12 hour long cutscene montage

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

raditts posted:

Mortal Kombat 1 (2)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I unironically dig the idea of future MK titles to be centered around Raiden continously traveling to other timelines and loving things up in a vain attempt to prevent the apocalypse

just needs more 3 stooges sound effects when he 'accidentally' kills Earth's champion or turns into an evil despot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I assume this is a remake of the OG Mortal Kombat with new features/characters?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Larryb posted:

So I assume this is a remake of the OG Mortal Kombat with new features/characters?
It's yet another sequel/reboot (seboot? requel?) set after all the multiverse time shenanigans in the last game (MK 11). The roster is closer to MKII than anything, which makes sense, since the original MK roster is really, really sparse. The numbering is intentionally confusing and dumb.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mortal Kombat kringe kompilation

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I think the main single thing I don't enjoy in videogames as an art medium are the games that feel like they don't want to be art, they want to be a competitive activity, a sport. They want to win and make someone else lose, they enjoy the thrill of competition, the meta the strategy all of the things you'd consider very important when playing a competitive sport.

i'd argue that a genre like MOBAs has a subtle but important integration of the expressive creativity of art with the competitiveness of sport that creates a uniquely compelling medium. it's true that something like league is, at the end of the day, a competitive game where the primary focus is to try and win, but there's a degree of explicit narrative and player-driven expression that you don't tend to find in traditional sports. the way you play basketball is, for the most part, fixed in place, with little room for deviation from convention; furthermore, it's hard to create a substantive personal narrative of improvement in playing basketball if you are not explicitly participating in organized tournaments or swinging for the big leagues

by comparison, a game like league features a tiered ranking structure that creates an explicit, personal narrative arc for people to participate in, as slowly figuring the game out and improving your personal skill until you finally breach the barrier from silver to gold is a milestone accomplishment for a lot of players. more importantly, however, is that the way in which you choose to approach this benchmark is driven by personal creativity, depending both on playstyle preferences and on your own desire to innovate. there was a rather (in)famous EU player named baus who rose to prominence by using an extremely unconventional strat where he abused the passive of sion (where you briefly revive postmortem with a more limited kit) to always trade up on his deaths, which covered up his own self-admittedly weak laning phase and turned him into this gigantic pest that was worth almost no gold when killed but who still earned enough gold to exert high amounts of map pressure that teams struggled to deal with. that kind of freedom to experiment around with the systems and find something that works for you is a degree of creative, genuinely artistic expression that you just cannot get playing soccer at the local field with friends

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
clive barker's clive barker's jericho, by clive barker?

Jay Rust posted:

One time at a family gathering my cousin took me aside to show me the latest sickest MK fatalities on his phone, if it happens again idk what I'm going to do
hit him with one of these, I'm sure he'll appreciate it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I picked up mortal shell from gamepass and honestly it's pretty ok. Hooted and hollered when I unlocked what is basically a rail crossbow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is it like Painkiller's Stakegun, where you can pin enemies to walls?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's very weighty and every shot seems incredibly powerful.
Edit: https://youtu.be/OXPf6715c_8?t=2212

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

summer game fest thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032598

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is also a fanmade remake of the original Mortal Kombat, in development, where the goal is to keep the live action models but make the animations and quality in-line with something for 2023.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

i'd argue that a genre like MOBAs has a subtle but important integration of the expressive creativity of art with the competitiveness of sport that creates a uniquely compelling medium. it's true that something like league is, at the end of the day, a competitive game where the primary focus is to try and win, but there's a degree of explicit narrative and player-driven expression that you don't tend to find in traditional sports. the way you play basketball is, for the most part, fixed in place, with little room for deviation from convention; furthermore, it's hard to create a substantive personal narrative of improvement in playing basketball if you are not explicitly participating in organized tournaments or swinging for the big leagues

by comparison, a game like league features a tiered ranking structure that creates an explicit, personal narrative arc for people to participate in, as slowly figuring the game out and improving your personal skill until you finally breach the barrier from silver to gold is a milestone accomplishment for a lot of players. more importantly, however, is that the way in which you choose to approach this benchmark is driven by personal creativity, depending both on playstyle preferences and on your own desire to innovate. there was a rather (in)famous EU player named baus who rose to prominence by using an extremely unconventional strat where he abused the passive of sion (where you briefly revive postmortem with a more limited kit) to always trade up on his deaths, which covered up his own self-admittedly weak laning phase and turned him into this gigantic pest that was worth almost no gold when killed but who still earned enough gold to exert high amounts of map pressure that teams struggled to deal with. that kind of freedom to experiment around with the systems and find something that works for you is a degree of creative, genuinely artistic expression that you just cannot get playing soccer at the local field with friends

I'm not sure what distinction you're making here. I assume most professional athletes have some degree of creativity and expression in how they play and approach the game and how they choose to behave in the game. I've occasionally read articles where the author made the action and decisions sound as you described. Players definitely look to innovate and stand out from each other and make their mark on the game or do it their own way.

I'm no sports fan but I think you're undercutting them a bit here to make the point

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

There is also a fanmade remake of the original Mortal Kombat, in development, where the goal is to keep the live action models but make the animations and quality in-line with something for 2023.

How would you do this without the original video masters? Or did they actually get ahold of those?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

How would you do this without the original video masters? Or did they actually get ahold of those?

The models are being recreated entirely from scratch with fans cosplaying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ah, so it's going to be either very, very good or very, very bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The question is will they have Half-Japanese Kano or Australian Kano? I guess you could technically do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

Ah, so it's going to be either very, very good or very, very bad

Nah, it'll probably be mediocre but easy to pass on