Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Finally an actual apocalypse for them to cartoon about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Suella Braverman’s speeding fine – Road safety campaigners have accused the UK home secretary of trying to downplay the dangers of speeding after she reportedly requested a private speed awareness course after being caught driving over the speed limit"

Telegraph:

Chelsea Flower Show: ‘The majority of gardens were not charming cameos of great design’

Times:

"Visibly angry Rishi Sunak may have lost patience with Suella Braverman’s misjudgments"

Evening Standard:

"Weeds at Chelsea? Welcome to the horticulture wars"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

World Famous W posted:

they're tools in the hands of the worst people, not some sort of monster

Yeah, this is the problem with the cartoon. It's the exact same shallow "what if AI.... is bad???" critique we've all seen a zillion times already.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im on my phone and having trouble uploading poo poo on my comp anyways, can someone post the old 'canned music' cartoons from whenever movies were just getting music

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

G7 has descended into puppet play by Song Chen

Le Monde

by Herrmann
60% of birds in the countryside have disappeared
"A swan call!"

Charlie Hebdo

"Huh, what's going on with you? You're all swollen."
"They gave me bacteria. I think I've just got an allergic reaction to the shot."

Macron in Mongolia
"I want some rare earths, missie."

"A point for the unemployed over the machine!" His speech is messed up due to the accident.
The machine is on how governments fight for factories to make things like electric cars, promising jobs and the like, but in reality that's not how it goes down.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Deeply unfortunate, even if I disliked their seeming editorial trend. The Nib was also the source for some very good comic journalism and explainers.

edit: you can tell this is pretty devastating for Matt Bors; this was his dream, and he'd put everything into it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 22, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
their final cartoon is going to be their office but post apocalyptic

it does suck though

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, this is the problem with the cartoon. It's the exact same shallow "what if AI.... is bad???" critique we've all seen a zillion times already.

This is mainly my thing about it. AI is an incredibly complex topic that is going to have a huge impact on the human race; I realize editorial cartoons, by the nature of the art form, must simplify, but "it's a chainsaw murderer/an evil doll/literally Satan" is, for me, a bit too simple. And I say this as someone whose profession is also likely to be obsoleted by AI in the relatively early stages. It reminds me of all those sci-fi stories about evil robots coming to kill us all that ultimately prompted Asimov to write his famous Robot books (which put forth the idea that... maybe not?). Bennett's isn't the worst, I was just looking at his when I got tired enough of them to start nominating, which is why I feel like I ought to go back and find some of the earlier ones that were way worse.

Genuinely upsetting. I didn't always 100% agree with their editorial direction, but they did a lot of good work.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

NSW police used a taser on a 95 year-old aged care resident with dementia because she was approaching with a knife, also a walking frame. She is now in hospital on end-of-life care.

Rowe:

Biden couldn't make it but Narendra Modi is here.

Spooner:

Victorian budget with state treasurer Tim Pallas and premier Dan Andrews. The budget is expected to cut a bunch of government programs.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Trapezium Dave posted:

Pope:

NSW police used a taser on a 95 year-old aged care resident with dementia because she was approaching with a knife, also a walking frame. She is now in hospital on end-of-life care.

They were 21 feet from death!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Adenoid Dan posted:

They were 21 feet from death!

doink

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

A day or two late but I wanted to highlight and appreciate this one. I've seen a couple of other cartoons make this same point/observation (over the past year-odd), but this one is just... excellent cartooning. Clear, well-composed, right to the point, funny, and no unnecessary blather explaining/distracting from the joke. Plus it's got a bit of that "Oof" factor that can make political cartoons really great.

Kellies nomination: best overall? Or at least pretty bloody good.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Please put your drawing hand in a blender, Payne.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m really seeing two different sides of your posting today lol.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Matt Davies

Ann Telnaes

Randall Enos

Dave Granlund

Mike Thompson

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile, the unpleasantness in Korea continues as 1950 rolls into 1951, and the Trib cartoonists know whose fault it is: those damned internationalists (and Truman, of course).

Oh, just wait a few years...

But anyway it's Christmas again! Time for some Christmas, uh, cheer:

This one is probably the most sourpuss Christmas cartoon I've seen.

Here's a nice sentiment. I wonder if Parrish would extend the same courtesy to indigent human beings?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 23, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That turtle one has real Kelly “put-upon innocent cartoonists” energy.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait, is the last one commentary on new traffic laws?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies nomination: most easily reinterpreted

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Absolute Slob 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"You guys already read the Fetterman article. Don't be wilfully ignorant."

"That's it, go to your room!!"

"FINE! I HATE YOU!" *slips on VR goggles, sulks*

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

This poo poo is always the absolute funniest to me. Just nakedly trying to take all of the criticisms of the previous Republican administration and apply them to the real villains: the current Democratic administation.

Nepotism? In the Trump white house?? Uh, actually, I believe if you'll consult the latest Republican talking points, you'll find out that endless poo poo with Kushner and Ivanka and Jr all just absolutely pale in comparison to the antics of the BIDEN CRIME FAMILY!!!

*Shits out a cartoon of Obama standing in front of a Mission Accomplished banner.* What a dope!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I don't know what it is, exactly, but there's just something incredibly satisfying about the impotent hate Stiglich has for Fetterman.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This one needs some context. I was going to make an effort post earlier, but I got busy with stuff.

So back before the car, the streets belonged to pedestrians. Horses top out around 30 MPH, and that’s assuming a single rider and not a wagon or anything else hitched to them. Even the earliest cars weren’t much faster if faster at all, and they were a luxury so not all that common on streets. So mixed traffic on the street was very common: a mix of pedestrians, horses, and cars. It was not uncommon to have kids playing or people chatting in the streets. It was a public place, and the impetus was upon the rider/driver to avoid pedestrians.

That changes after the turn of the century: cars get significantly faster. Whereas the Model T topped out at around 40mph, you had newer models getting faster and faster.

And people loving hated them.

They were loud, produced pollution, and disrupted street traffic, often lethally. People were not fans of these new, speedy vehicles, and that was a problem for the auto makers. How do you change public perception of these noisy death machines?

The answer was to portray the pedestrian as the enemy. The pedestrian is an invader of the street, which was a subtle implication that the street belonged to cars. Automakers had aggressive lobbying, ad campaigns, and even offered to write news articles for the papers about any auto accident which obviously were slanted to make it the fault of the pedestrian.

It worked: laws designed to limit car speeds or other common-sense regulation were quashed and jaywalking became a new crime. While jaywalking wasn’t all that respected at first, the media blitz did its work of demonizing the pedestrian.

And that’s how we lost our streets to cars. Emboldened, automakers would continue to use their influence to shape our infrastructure around their product, make cars a necessity to live, undermine public transportation, and loosen regulations to unleash the unholy creation that is the SUV.

While I can’t say for sure if cartoonist were outright paid to produce jaywalking propaganda or just bought into the lies themselves, there are a decent amount of jaywalking cartoons around that period.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

This one needs some context. I was going to make an effort post earlier, but I got busy with stuff.

So back before the car, the streets belonged to pedestrians. Horses top out around 30 MPH, and that’s assuming a single rider and not a wagon or anything else hitched to them. Even the earliest cars weren’t much faster if faster at all, and they were a luxury so not all that common on streets. So mixed traffic on the street was very common: a mix of pedestrians, horses, and cars. It was not uncommon to have kids playing or people chatting in the streets. It was a public place, and the impetus was upon the rider/driver to avoid pedestrians.

That changes after the turn of the century: cars get significantly faster. Whereas the Model T topped out at around 40mph, you had newer models getting faster and faster.

They were loud, produced pollution, and disrupted street traffic, often lethally. People were not fans of these new, speedy vehicles, and that was a problem for the auto makers. How do you change public perception of these noisy death machines?

The answer was to portray the pedestrian as the enemy. The pedestrian is an invader of the street, which was a subtle implication that the street belonged to cars. Automakers had aggressive lobbying, ad campaigns, and even offered to write news articles for the papers about any auto accident which obviously were slanted to make it the fault of the pedestrian.

It worked: laws designed to limit car speeds or other common-sense regulation were quashed and jaywalking became a new crime. While jaywalking wasn’t all that respected at first, the media blitz did its work of demonizing the pedestrian.

And that’s how we lost our streets to cars. Emboldened, automakers would continue to use their influence to shape our infrastructure around their product, make cars a necessity to live, undermine public transportation, and loosen regulations to unleash the unholy creation that is the SUV.

While I can’t say for sure if cartoonist were outright paid to produce jaywalking propaganda or just bought into the lies themselves, there are a decent amount of jaywalking cartoons around that period.

Really good post. It's funny, because it's one of those things that would make you sound like a conspiracy nut if you tried explaining it to most people, but nope, all this poo poo actually happened. A good lesson on the power that corporations have to shape public opinion, and this was back before the internet and even television.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This is great because that could be used anytime during the UN's history for just about any intervention or non-intervention

Also reminds me of that comic with "Open the Blood Bud Gates"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Please show this post to Car Hater

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

the_steve posted:

I don't know what it is, exactly, but there's just something incredibly satisfying about the impotent hate Stiglich has for Fetterman.

Stiglich cursing himself for letting Obama get away with a tan suit. It was a slippery slope!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pants Donkey posted:

NGL, I loving love trivia like this. It's always fascinating to me.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

[excellent car content]

If you want more on this topic, I rather enjoyed this podcast on that period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ97CGj6TPY

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Suella Braverman’s travails over her speeding fine – Has the home secretary got right on her side in the row over her allegedly trying to arrange a one-on-one speed awareness course?"

Telegraph:

Russia sends more troops to Bakhmut after Putin declares victory

Matt:

Times:

Chelsea Flower Show 2023 review: Plenty to admire, but little to make your heart sing

Evening Standard:

Dominic Raab to stand down at next election

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

A burning issue by Cai Meng

Why does this feel like a re-post?

Le Monde

Républicains et Démocrates jouent l’économie mondiale au bras de fer/Republicans and Democrats arm-wrestle with the world's economy by Hall from the US

by Maarten Wolterink from the Netherlands

Charlie Hebdo

Immigration: Ciotti visits Denmark
"Go back to your country, you dog!"

Ciotti is a right-winger in France and I learned that métèque (not me'te'que as I thought at first) comes from Ancient Greek and was the word for a foreigner of Athens without any rights. My wife told me that. Smart lady.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 23, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

I don't think he's even brought up any of Fetterman's policies or anything else about him. Stiglich really is just mad about Fetterman wearing a hoodie.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pants Donkey posted:

The thing I'd add to this is that "jay walker" (almost always written as two words at first) appears in print shortly after the appearance of "jay driver" to describe someone who drives on the wrong side of the road. At first "jay walker" is used to mean a pedestrian who walks the wrong direction on the sidewalk and bumps into other pedestrians. The first known mention in print of "jay driver" is from June of 1905 and "jay walker" appears (in quotation marks) later that year. The modern sense of "jay walker" doesn't become common until years later.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Since you all like the cartoon, here is what I had collected so far for the original effort post:

Frederick Burr Opper did quite a few of these. He’s famous for his Happy Hooligan comic strip, which ran in the first quarter or so of the 1900s. It’s basically Lucky Ducky but the poor person is sincerely optimistic. He also did work for Puck, which for those unaware was a major magazine akin to Charlie Hebdo around the late 1800s and early 1900s. A political humor magazine featuring a lot of political cartoonists. Yes, political cartooning was a respected profession at one point in history.

You’ll have to forgive me for not being an expert on slang from a century ago, but “Jay” was deliberately chosen as the word for Jaywalking, as Jay was kinda like “redneck” is now. Basically an uneducated person from the country, and the goal is to display people who know their place under our new car overlords as sophisticated city folk. Those who don’t bend the knee to the Almighty Auto were branded as backward rubes.

Just a comic showing that, yes, there was resistance to this campaign.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
If you want more background on American urban car culture, a great book is The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York. He was the first commissioner of New York City's Department of Parks and Recreations, and simultaneously the chairman of the New York State Council of Parks. He held both positions simultaneously, for more than three decades.

The dude hated four things - poor people, people of colour, poor people of colour and pedestrians. He was obsessed with the car as the symbol of America's prosperity. This in spite of the fact that he didn't have a license himself, and was chauffeured everywhere his whole life. To give you an example of how he worked - he'd often make sure that the overpasses surrounding his parks were deliberately kept low, so that buses couldn't pass under them. This was to ensure that people who didn't have cars couldn't easily reach them. He also instructed that swimming pools would be kept colder than normal, under the assumption that this would somehow scare off black swimmers. He also had hundreds of thousands of people displaced to make room for his projects, and drove two baseball teams out of New York because he considered the sport to be for poor people and yokels. Of course since he was in charge of New York City's development, he was also brought in to consult on the development of other cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!