Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Oneiros posted:

lmfao you bootlicking pieces of poo poo

Settle down, Beavis.

What set are you all rocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Do these just increase damage or buff the skills?

The only one i had upgraded for most of the game was Tulin, so I can only say it helped make his damage relevant on blue tier enemies but kinda fell off against black, and he only tickles silver. There is also special hats you can find based on divine beasts that say they deepen your bond with the sage and when Link is wearing that hat the sage shade is also wearing the hat? I can't tell if that buffs them at all though?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Really enjoyed the Gerudo dungeon. Wish it had a second phase beyond turning on the switches but the way you got to explore it organically while the individual puzzles operated on linear classic dungeon puzzle style was wonderful. Great atmosphere. Boss was exciting and pretty tough at 6 hearts. Way better than Rito, hope the east measures up to this.

Wish there had been more to the gibdo stuff beforehand though that mq sequence seemed underbaked but that's kind of a weird tradition for Gerudo segments at this point.

The town is a great area to explore and talk to people though, much better than Rito, in pre and post dungeon states both

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

text editor posted:

mine drift in game but not in the switch calibration test. I have barely used mine, especially the joysticks (only ever used it for BOTW physics tilt puzzles and for ARMS for the 2 days I played that before the gimmick got stale, and I don't think that game uses the joysticks

anyways I might try to swap mine with 3rd party sticks because apparently this will always happen to joycons

I had ridiculous drift and delayed button presses that weren't happening on other games. Playing on a PS5 controller through an 8bit do adapter and haven't had any problems since. Very odd

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

CapnAndy posted:

The only thing I'm confused about is that in one of the memories, which seems to take place after Sonia's death and right before the big Sealing Battle, Rauru gathers all the surviving Sages together and is like, "behold this great secret I've been hiding behind this door... the secret stones!!!" and it's like, dude, they're all already wearing a secret stone and they have been in every cutscene, including this one, are these double secret?

I assumed that they were well aware of the royal family having stones, but were surprised that Rauru was sitting on a big cache of them to hand out like candy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pirate Radar posted:

The biggest thing I’d like, same as with BotW, is for switching between armor sets to go more smoothly. I don’t know if it needs to go all the way to auto-detecting “climbing wet surface therefore frog armor” and switching but it’s easily the biggest roadblock in the normal exploration loop for me

If I have one actual salient criticism of TotK so far, it's that it has loads of tedious and awkward menuing. Fuse is the worst offender: you need to open the menu, scroll through all your materials until you find the one you want, hold it, exit the menu, drop it, open the power menu to select fuse, then open weapon/shield menu and scroll to the thing you want to fuse to, and then finally you can fuse it. Arrows are similarly awkward to fuse with given Nintendo decided to just give you a single-file ribbon to select mats from instead of a full list, the "most commonly used" filter helps a bit with this but really only in that I rarely if ever use more than the handful of fusions that float to the top and are easy to pick. That stuff like armor switching, cooking, etc are still just as awkward as they were six years ago in BotW is really bizzare, especially now that Aonuma has revealed that they spent a whole year with the mostly finished product just polishing. Between this and Animal Crossing, Nintendo desperately needs to bring on some UI/UX folks for their first party titles.

Not that any of this makes TotK a bad game, it's an absolute banger I'm having a blast with, but it is truly strange that a game otherwise handcrafted with so much love and attention in almost every other aspect of its design requires you to constantly fiddle with dogshit menus.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You don't have to use the + menu for fusing stuff to weapons.
Just hold up on the dpad to bring up the item quick menu, pick the material you want, and press x to instantly drop it on the floor without needing to hold it first. Basically the same as doing it for arrows.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You don't have to use the + menu for fusing stuff to weapons.
Just hold up on the dpad to bring up the item quick menu, pick the material you want, and press x to instantly drop it on the floor without needing to hold it first. Basically the same as doing it for arrows.

Yeah but again then I have to deal with the single ribbon UI which is extremely slow to scroll through once you've collected a half-way appreciable amount of inventory.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you just wanna glue your highest-damage monster horn to your current un-horned weapon it's pretty easy thanks to the sort button. But yeah if you're trying to do something more precise than that it can be a pain.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Costco Meatballs posted:

Really enjoyed the Gerudo dungeon.

Funny I just completed this one and it was my least favorite of the three I've done so far (Goron City remaining). It was the first temple I felt like I was just cheesing the puzzles with floating platforms and mirrors from my backpack.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

So this is obviously a very good game. I love the sense of "my destination is over there, can my plane make it the whole way?" and then it just barely working. Got the Master Sword yesterday, and it's certainly the best Getting The Master Sword sequence the franchise has ever had. Combat is really fun with the fusing, and the difficulty is nicely balanced, with the stricter rationing of hearty foods.

But these dungeons are a series low. I just did Lightning, and it's the best one, but it still feels like wasted potential. It could've happened worked had you had a single beam of light you had to maneuver to every terminal, but it's just...four puzzle rooms you have to get to. Even the Divine Beasts had clever gimmicks and felt cohesive.

At least the bosses are fun Zelda monsters this time around, I've missed fun Zelda monsters. And the puzzling in the shrines is top-tier, they're better dungeons than the dungeons. I wish the dungeons made you make wacky contraptions like he shrines do. Even when the shrine puzzles are "easy," you're still doing something cool and satisfying.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

text editor posted:

mine drift in game but not in the switch calibration test. I have barely used mine, especially the joysticks (only ever used it for BOTW physics tilt puzzles and for ARMS for the 2 days I played that before the gimmick got stale, and I don't think that game uses the joysticks

anyways I might try to swap mine with 3rd party sticks because apparently this will always happen to joycons

I swapped in these hall effect sensor sticks yesterday and they're great so far. That set I linked (the "one pair" option) has the triwing driver and tiny phillips if you don't have one, along with a couple other tools. It also came with replacement outer screws with phillips heads if you wanted to get rid of the triwing screws altogether. They did need to be calibrated in the system settings.

The joycons are really some amazing packaging design for all of the different sensors and controls in each one.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I use this HORI controller because it has a proper d-pad instead of the separate buttons, but avoiding joycon drift is a nice side benefit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally finished the 2nd dungeon, the Fire Temple, and I really like that the devs seemingly intentionally let you think like a Goron or think like a Link. Being able to just ignore the mine cart part and instead spend probably even more time climbing and ascending to get around them made it a lot more fun. New sage has made me appreciate Tulin more, with how he keeps a distance and his power can be activated remotely

So far I've liked the dungeons but I also view the "dungeon" as more than just the final location, which just like in BotW they're a bit underwhelming in the same way a classic zelda dungeon would be if it was just the part where you're about to bring the pillars down and confront the boss. IMHO it starts when you get the dungeon gimmick tool.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Spectacle Rock photo

I'm not seeing the "smile", no matter which angle I look at it from. Is this one of those "wait for a certain time of day" type deals?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I would have cheesed the Gerudo dungeon too, if the game hadn't despawned part of my setup :mad: I had it set up like this
with more mirrors all the way to the top

Downside of the dungeons being big, I guess.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Finally finished the 2nd dungeon, the Fire Temple, and I really like that the devs seemingly intentionally let you think like a Goron or think like a Link. Being able to just ignore the mine cart part and instead spend probably even more time climbing and ascending to get around them made it a lot more fun. New sage has made me appreciate Tulin more, with how he keeps a distance and his power can be activated remotely

So far I've liked the dungeons but I also view the "dungeon" as more than just the final location, which just like in BotW they're a bit underwhelming in the same way a classic zelda dungeon would be if it was just the part where you're about to bring the pillars down and confront the boss. IMHO it starts when you get the dungeon gimmick tool.

agreed on all parts of this; the "dungeon" starts the moment you get the sage, so the death mountain fight and the wind temple approach are as much a part of these temple sequences as the final locations are.

i wonder what ultimately led them to this temple design because with two games now i feel like there was likely at least some level of experimentation with longer forms at some point, like a dungeon-length shrine or something. plausibly the lack of anything like that is just a consequence of some tightly-held design principles (e.g. maybe they were just like "the player can do poo poo in any order anytime and dungeons have to reflect that") but it's such a glaring absence it makes me wonder if more traditional dungeons just weren't giving them the results they wanted in key ways.

like, just looking at what we've got, i think the physical scale of many shrines suggests that they found that doing the physics puzzles within small margins sucks, so you get big targets and enormous rooms to play around in. consequently, maybe the physics puzzles don't scale down well (iirc the divine beasts kind of reflected that by being annoying in some ways), and doing dungeons at a scale where the physics puzzles play nice renders them too large to really conceive of as a single space. hyrule castle is the most dungeon-like thing in BOTW, and it has almost zero physics puzzles whatsoever so that it can present an actual designed space.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2023

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

It is extremely on brand for this game that at the end when you get to build a big robot buddy everything has scaled to the point that it does next to no damage and it’s far easier just to run around and kill poo poo normally rather than ride it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Has anyone got any ridiculous times or designs for the Tarry Town race track? I’ve got one minute one. My “long stick with six wheels thrown on” shows promise

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Valentin posted:

agreed on all parts of this; the "dungeon" starts the moment you get the sage, so the death mountain fight and the wind temple approach are as much a part of these temple sequences as the final locations are.

i wonder what ultimately led them to this temple design because with two games now i feel like there was likely at least some level of experimentation with longer forms at some point, like a dungeon-length shrine or something. plausibly the lack of anything like that is just a consequence of some tightly-held design principles (e.g. maybe they were just like "the player can do poo poo in any order anytime and dungeons have to reflect that") but it's such a glaring absence it makes me wonder if more traditional dungeons just weren't giving them the results they wanted in key ways.

like, just looking at what we've got, i think the physical scale of many shrines suggests that they found that doing the physics puzzles within small margins sucks, so you get big targets and enormous rooms to play around in. consequently, maybe the physics puzzles don't scale down well (iirc the divine beasts kind of reflected that by being annoying in some ways), and doing dungeons at a scale where the physics puzzles play nice renders them too large to really conceive of as a single space. hyrule castle is the most dungeon-like thing in BOTW, and it has zero physics puzzles whatsoever so that it can present an actual designed space.

Hyrule Castle is absolutely not a Dungeon, in the Zelda sense. It's just an open-world area where the content is unusually dense. And that sucks, imo, Zelda is all about combining cool high fantasy with great, tactile puzzles.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Maybe I've missed an explanation in the game, but why do my vehicles keep disappearing as I'm using them? I've got plenty of battery power left, then a wing will just start flashing as it's flying then it'll disappear. Makes them not very useful for travel.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sydin posted:

Yeah but again then I have to deal with the single ribbon UI which is extremely slow to scroll through once you've collected a half-way appreciable amount of inventory.

I wish that ribbon defaulted to a favorites list in certain situations. Like if I'm shooting an arrow in a battle I am not going to attach an apple to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Astro7x posted:

I wish that ribbon defaulted to a favorites list in certain situations. Like if I'm shooting an arrow in a battle I am not going to attach an apple to it.

not with that attitude

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Astro7x posted:

Hit Y to change how you're sorting. "Most Used" is a category and will put all your arrow standbys at the front.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Maybe I've missed an explanation in the game, but why do my vehicles keep disappearing as I'm using them? I've got plenty of battery power left, then a wing will just start flashing as it's flying then it'll disappear. Makes them not very useful for travel.

there's no explanation, gliders and balloons just have a stupid short despawn time to (I guess) prevent early-game fly cheesing or something

fans have a despawn time too but it's much longer, so a goblin glider of two fans on a control stick is Recommended

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Yeah, for some reason they don't want you to be able to fly across the whole map, which is dumb, isn't that why they give you a battery limitation? It only applies to wings and those floating platforms, I think.

The planes will get you far enough that you can usually fly close enough to something in the distance that you can glide the rest of the way.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

so a goblin glider of two fans on a control stick is Recommended

Had no idea this would work, there I was thinking there needed to be an aero surface.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The planes will get you far enough that you can usually fly close enough to something in the distance that you can glide the rest of the way.

My goal was to fly across big open expanses of the depths, to lightroots I can see in the distance. I don't see the point of the external batteries since the things despawn before even my personal batteries deplete. I got all excited having attached a load of them, thinking it'd take me really far.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The boss of the water temple is a combo of :kimchi: and :gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frankston posted:

Spectacle Rock photo

I'm not seeing the "smile", no matter which angle I look at it from. Is this one of those "wait for a certain time of day" type deals?

it can only be viewed from a particular sky island, the smile is a chunk of floating rubble. you might just want to YouTube it, the instructions you’re given are terrible

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Icedude posted:

If you sneak up on a bokoblin with a backpack, you can steal the items directly out of their backpack :allears:

Tried to see if this worked with the bokoblin mask on for some easy materials, but they just keep turning to face me.

Also, man it's way too easy to dupe materials, lol.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

You can also arrange your two fans to be forward and aft of the steering stick, like a flying hover bike, which I prefer because I can strap a korok or shrine gem to the back, or a brightbloom to the front as needed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Had no idea this would work, there I was thinking there needed to be an aero surface.

My goal was to fly across big open expanses of the depths, to lightroots I can see in the distance. I don't see the point of the external batteries since the things despawn before even my personal batteries deplete. I got all excited having attached a load of them, thinking it'd take me really far.

if you have the last ability on your rune wheel, autobuild, you can basically trade zoanite for components, so you can get extra distance via those external batteries every time you rebuild your flying machine, if you so choose

that said they also have some potential utility as a "breakaway" component, depending on what you're building and how you use it

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I’m thinking of either doing the Goron phenomenon or heading to Necluda for Purrah Pad/Hateno village stuff. Which would thread advise I do first?

I’ve cleared the Rito Phenomenon and little else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Two-fan + steering wheel gets you further and higher than a fan glider ever could.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The external batteries drain themselves and despawn before your personal batteries get touched. That's the point of them; for so long as you've got at least one glued to your contraption, it's not draining your battery.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You can also arrange your two fans to be forward and aft of the steering stick, like a flying hover bike, which I prefer because I can strap a korok or shrine gem to the back, or a brightbloom to the front as needed.

I usually stick that stuff to the underside of the control stick, doubly so since "flipping the entire thing upside down first" prevents it from flying away when the brightbloom activates it

I managed to get one with left-right fans at just the right spot where the balance makes it stay pretty well pointed at whatever angle I point it at vertically, which was entirely accidental but is very handy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m thinking of either doing the Goron phenomenon or heading to Necluda for Purrah Pad/Hateno village stuff. Which would thread advise I do first?

I’ve cleared the Rito Phenomenon and little else.

I haven’t done Goron stuff myself but from what I’ve read it’s a real good get for mining/breaking stuff which would be nice to have early if you haven’t sunk much time in the depths.

Because there’s A LOT of mines in the depths.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm so glad I got the goron power because those caves that are walls and walls of breakable rock become far easier with it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

In BotW I did Zora > Goron > Gerudo > Rito which I think was the intended order.

So this time around I'm doing it in the opposite order. Not sure what's the intended path or if there even is one for TotK but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I thought I've only put in 20 or 30 hours into the game so far given that I work full time, still have an active social life, and watching my regular TV shows, but apparently I have 65 hours into the game