Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

okay but did you know that canonically Greedo was born without a first name, and picked "Greedo" when a customs official asked him for his identification because he wanted everyone to know he was greedy

Wait, does this mean Greedo has a last name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, does this mean Greedo has a last name?

Greedo McKlunky

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

God loving drat it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
On the topic of the Starcruiser, the minute it was announced and not tied in any way to the OT or Prequels, I knew it would be a tough sell. I also think the reception to Rise of Skywalker certainly didn't help. Not too many people are die-hard enough to want to revisit a dramatically overpriced experience to live through a story beat within something they (likely) despised the ending.

I also hated that when all the new Star Wars poo poo was announced at D23 in 2017, they promised soooo much more than was ever delivered. When the theme park addition of Battuu opened, there was a ton of poo poo missing that was promoted early on. Then come to find out, oh, you can pay another $5k to see all that in the Halcyon Starcruiser!

Also, I didn't see a link but Kathleen Kennedy spoke again. At this point, Lucasfilm ought to just avoid talking about film development at all.

Link: https://fandomwire.com/lucasfilm-pr...he-jedi-evolve/

Nothing much new there other than they're (as we already could tell) way more focused on streaming TV shows, and seemingly don't have a real plan for movies to speak of. Again, nothing we didn't already know or figure out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

JUNIOR.

Please please, Mr. Greedo Tetsu is my father's name.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Literally the only Star Wars thing I am looking forward to is Andor Season 2. Everything else has either lost me or never had me to begin with.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
okay but did you know that canonically Elan Sleazebaggano was born without a last name, and picked "Sleazebaggano" when a customs official asked him for his identification because he wanted everyone to know he was a drug dealer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thrawn527 posted:

JUNIOR.

It's the Jar Jar comic and his dad wanting to kill himself but instead all about Greedo.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

JUNIOR.

Greedo became Greedo Jr. because Episode I had a deleted scene where Anakin beat the poo poo out of a character named Greedo.

https://twitter.com/StarWars0nly/status/1641430044521164800?s=20

The Expanded Universe had already come up with a backstory for Greedo that precluded him from living on Tatooine as a child, so they decided that Greedo's dad was the one who Anakin fought, and the son was named after the father (because deleted scenes were treated as canonical unless they conflicted with something that actually appeared in the movie).

Eventually a Clone Wars episode established that the Greedo in the deleted scene and the Greedo in A New Hope actually were the same guy and his previous backstory was retconned, so now he's just Greedo Jr. for no real reason.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Jar Jar comic and his dad wanting to kill himself but instead all about Greedo.

neat

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Greedo became Greedo Jr. because Episode I had a deleted scene where Anakin beat the poo poo out of a character named Greedo.

https://twitter.com/StarWars0nly/status/1641430044521164800?s=20

The Expanded Universe had already come up with a backstory for Greedo that precluded him from living on Tatooine as a child, so they decided that Greedo's dad was the one who Anakin fought, and the son was named after the father (because deleted scenes were treated as canonical unless they conflicted with something that actually appeared in the movie).

Eventually a Clone Wars episode established that the Greedo in the deleted scene and the Greedo in A New Hope actually were the same guy and his previous backstory was retconned, so now he's just Greedo Jr. for no real reason.

This is amazing. I knew about the deleted scene, but not the rest. Thank you.

I feel like this should have been a situation where G-Canon just overrode C-Canon and ignored the previous Greedo backstory, but I guess Wookiepedia's gonna Wookiepedia.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 23, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hot take: They should do a remake of the Shadows the Empire video game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hot take: They should do a remake of the Shadows the Empire video game.

When is the last time we had a good Battle of Hoth level in a game?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The gimmick of Shadows Of The Empire was that it was 100% marketing tie-ins without any underlying movie, so they should finally just make the movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

When is the last time we had a good Battle of Hoth level in a game?

Battlefront 1 (the first one). Though I might be the sole person alive who thinks Battlefront 2 (the first one) was a worse game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

galagazombie posted:

Battlefront 1 (the first one). Though I might be the sole person alive who thinks Battlefront 2 (the first one) was a worse game.

There are dozens of us, dozens

Having the Jedi be nonplayable was the key. From Battlefront 2 on it went from 'ok can I actually get good enough with the sniper rifle to hit a droideka while its rolling up' to 'whatever lets me be a Jedi fast enough because then I'm literally unkillable until the other Jedi shows up'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The hero characters were a little janky and took away from the battlefield feeling, yea, but you could turn them off? Or maybe not, haven't played Battlefront in years.

Realheads remember the Star Wars mod for BF1942 before Battlefront was even a thing.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The gimmick of Shadows Of The Empire was that it was 100% marketing tie-ins without any underlying movie, so they should finally just make the movie.

Shadows of the Empire was my first glimpse of the idea that _how a story is told_ is just as important as the "facts" of the story. Without explicitly contradicting each other, each facet of SotE shows different angles on the same small set of events. The novel is focused on Xizor and his relations with the Empire. The comic is more focused on showcasing the cool bounty hunters from ESB as they fight over Han Solo. And the game is all about how great Dash Rendar is, and how he does everything right, and beats up all the bounty hunters, and definitely wouldn't bail at an inconvenient time.

The movie would unfortunately become regarded as the definitive version, turning a mildly interesting narrative experiment into a singular (mediocre) story. We'd be worse off for it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

The hero characters were a little janky and took away from the battlefield feeling, yea, but you could turn them off? Or maybe not, haven't played Battlefront in years.

Realheads remember the Star Wars mod for BF1942 before Battlefront was even a thing.

I played Desert Combar so much then that I don't even remember the Star Wars mod. That's all I remember from 1942.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ungulateman posted:

i changed my mind. i enjoy star wars sincerely now

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the Jedi robes. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two nog-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Star Wars.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fixed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We will likely never be lucky enough to be presented with a main canon, live action Dash Rendar.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I realized that the Legends EU as compiled in Wookiepedia is merely the modern avatar of Hesiod’s Theogeny. Where in his attempt to record his peoples religion in a cohesive whole, The Hesiod of antiquity was beset with the problem that every god had multiple conflicting origin stories and every tale had a dozen irreconcilable regional variants. So he had to create twisted and convoluted explanations to somehow allow everything to be canon. Our modern Hesiods at Wookiepedia are merely doing the same. Greedo Jr is the Hercules backstory retcon of the modern day.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

One of the cleverest things they did in the new Star Wars game (Jedi Survivor) is allowing you to dress and style the main character as a couple of 90s Star Wars guys. You can make a virtual copy of Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, etc.

Honestly the main character of that game ends up being a pastiche of Rendar and Katarn, a Jedi who does heists and stops bad guys from getting important stuff.

Since he's portrayed by, mocapped, and patterned after a real actor, they could easily transfer him to the real world if they desired.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope we get live action Cal. He's so loving good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

I hope we get live action Cal. He's so loving good.

Yeah. They've done a great job. Unfortunately I have zero faith in Disney's ability to execute it at this point.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just for reference, the screenshot with Greedo's full name is from Wikipedia. Wookiepedia makes no mention of it. I don't know why.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nighttime at Jabba's Palace

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The Fallen Order and Survivor games are pound-for-pound the best Star Wars stories this side of Andor and Rebels we've had in more recent years. I'd love to eventually see Cal in live action.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Battlefront II's story was also pretty solid

"Maybe push some buttons?"
[Objective updated]
"Just shoot the drat thing."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Doronin posted:

The Fallen Order and Survivor games are pound-for-pound the best Star Wars stories this side of Andor and Rebels we've had in more recent years. I'd love to eventually see Cal in live action.

I feel like there are some Star Wars characters that work in animation that just look inherently silly in live action. A red woman with zebra striped head tentacles, a man with red hair, etc.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
New prequel observations!

When Anakin buried his mother there are two other graves, presumably lars' first wife and a tiny grave for a child.

Geonosis appears to be the planet of Angels Anakin described in phantom menace. Most of the buildings seem like cathedrals, they have wings, ruled by poggle "the lesser,"." Anakin kills one who is a knight almost immediately.

Dead gronosian corpses are forged into the metal of the battle droids.

The battle with dooku is obviously a recreation of the cave on dagobah, for everybody, but the entire geonosis scene is a series of caves, everything that happens from obi wans landing through the colloseum through the end is symbolic of the characters failing to properly face their fears.

What is the meaning of the crab spider obi wan fights? Anakin's and padmes are obvious anger/sex, but what is the crab? Importantly, obi wan kills the crabs captor, and obi appears to be under no threat from him before he kills him.

Kaminoans have eyeballs on their shoulder.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FunkyAl posted:

New prequel observations!

When Anakin buried his mother there are two other graves, presumably lars' first wife and a tiny grave for a child.

Geonosis appears to be the planet of Angels Anakin described in phantom menace. Most of the buildings seem like cathedrals, they have wings, ruled by poggle "the lesser,"." Anakin kills one who is a knight almost immediately.

Dead gronosian corpses are forged into the metal of the battle droids.

The battle with dooku is obviously a recreation of the cave on dagobah, for everybody, but the entire geonosis scene is a series of caves, everything that happens from obi wans landing through the colloseum through the end is symbolic of the characters failing to properly face their fears.

What is the meaning of the crab spider obi wan fights? Anakin's and padmes are obvious anger/sex, but what is the crab? Importantly, obi wan kills the crabs captor, and obi appears to be under no threat from him before he kills him.

Kaminoans have eyeballs on their shoulder.

Don’t forget the architecture in the Geonosian Coliseum being basically all vaginas. Though I guess that isn’t a new observation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Doronin posted:

My only gripe with Fallen Order's story is how often you put in the effort to "win" a boss battle just to see Cal immediately get his rear end kicked in the cutscene.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

FunkyAl posted:

I think I read it on this very forum before but if you go along with the sex metaphor then Obi-Wan's monster looks like a praying mantis, an animal with the reputation of devouring its mate. Obi-Wan is a representative of the sexless Jedi orthodoxy that eschews relationships and attachments.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

YaketySass posted:

I think I read it on this very forum before but if you go along with the sex metaphor then Obi-Wan's monster looks like a praying mantis, an animal with the reputation of devouring its mate. Obi-Wan is a representative of the sexless Jedi orthodoxy that eschews relationships and attachments.

The thing also snaps Obi's spear in half

:byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

My only gripe with Fallen Order's story is how often you put in the effort to "win" a boss battle just to see Cal immediately get his rear end kicked in the cutscene.

Yeah I think the EU getting a little crowded in that time period because they want to have characters around to do stuff for awhile and also have different characters meet up with each other, making these canon video games has them run into a wall where you can't just have him kill off everyone lol

Makes me miss the Star Wars: Episode 1: The Adventure Begins game. From the title and early marketing you'd think it was an adventure game compared to Starfighter, the pod racing game(s), etc., but don't worry, it's a game where you can just run around Tatooine murdering everyone lol