Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Poil posted:

Alas such advanced programming has been lost to time.

It was probably straight up copied from SimCity 4, which at the time was the best reference for a well received city building sim. Ironically the water towers in SimCity 4 were originally supposed to work more akin to those in SC2k, but that feature got axed before release.

quote:

The version of this building implemented by Maxis draws from the game's Aquifer, which is a bottomless supply of water, however it was originally designed to draw from the game's Fresh Water Table which is not completely implemented in the game's code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Workers and Resources has a simulated water system with pressure management and elevated storage if you want to push your face into a belt sander for a while :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is the mod list on the front page up to date?

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

OwlFancier posted:

Workers and Resources has a simulated water system with pressure management and elevated storage if you want to push your face into a belt sander for a while :v:

It's really the sewage system that fucks you on that one, though. Gotta make sure everything has the appropriate amount of drop so it can be gravity fed!

I love it so much. :sickos:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eifert Posting posted:

Is the mod list on the front page up to date?

Definitely not.

This is a reasonable up to date collection: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2859197846 Not all of these are mods, some are assets.

Don't use prop anarchy temp fix in there, use this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2956854293

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ABen posted:

It's really the sewage system that fucks you on that one, though. Gotta make sure everything has the appropriate amount of drop so it can be gravity fed!

I love it so much. :sickos:

They're both fairly tricky I have found, getting enough pressure without using millions of pumps is quite hard too, as is getting throughput between all the different stages of clean water production.

At least poo poo just runs downhill.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also the next DLC comes out the 23rd so unless you're really chomping at the bit I'd wait to start a game until next weekend, most of the mods should be fixed by then.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Surely if I'm not buying that DLC it's not going to matter right?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

All DLCs have an accompanying patch which breaks mods

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol.

Well I'm sure the town I build to relearn the game isn't going to be the town I really go whole hog on

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh you sweet summer child.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Halp! I made some new outside connections to my city and now it's hosed.

Things were going fine. I had one highway connection and one rail connection. I had pretty much used all the land on my two squares, bought three more, and began planning out roads and making connections. Now I have two seemingly related problems. First off, the five star, small city park I built near the start of my town as a reward for them moving in early seems to be attracting a bajillion tourists. Clicking around on the cars coming from all the way accross the map they have stuff like, "Tourist - Going to climbing frame." The other problem is it appears going through my city is the preferred choice of people transiting across the map instead of using the loving highway. Clicking on some cars that just came into my area of the map they straight away have, "Leaving city" written on their info boxes.

I was waiting until I got these new areas of land to develop a properly zoned tourist area, but the tourists already want to visit and are loving things up. I need some way to tell the fuckers using my city as driving scenery on their cross journey trip to bollocks off, and I need a way to empower my citizens to creepily harass the tourists in my parks and say, "This is a local park. For local people."

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Can you post an image of your current city layout? It may be that the shortest path between the outside connection and where tourists want to go is actually through your city. If you're at the point where building a train station is feasible, putting that close to the new tourist specialization area you wanna create may help things. Alternatively, mass transit?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

death cob for cutie posted:

Can you post an image of your current city layout? It may be that the shortest path between the outside connection and where tourists want to go is actually through your city. If you're at the point where building a train station is feasible, putting that close to the new tourist specialization area you wanna create may help things. Alternatively, mass transit?

It could be that I'm the moron who when building a highway intersection on a map-built highway set the one way direction on one part of the highway to go the opposite way, meaning cars couldn't traverse that highway.

Now, maybe it was down to me. But if it was, and that's a big "if" the improvements I've made to my city prove I was in the right all along.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Something I wish they'd do in Skylines 2 would be a simulator that reflects needs and other driving besides just 'to work' to the point where you can see the effects of doing stuff like 15-minute city based planning.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The Old Town district policy can help a lot with keeping out a lot of that extra traffic hauling through your residential areas. Not sure if that’d help your specific issue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Something I wish they'd do in Skylines 2 would be a simulator that reflects needs and other driving besides just 'to work' to the point where you can see the effects of doing stuff like 15-minute city based planning.

CS already does that, cims travel to commercial and leisure buildings or parks.

The problem is that they go to any of them, so they're just as likely to commute to a commercial building several kilometers away as they are to go to the one a few blocks away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there much information available about CS2 as the only thing I'd seen was the prerendered trailer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Is there much information available about CS2 as the only thing I'd seen was the prerendered trailer.

They have given zero information. However, the cheevos list got out and told us a few things:

1) Maps are bigger. No word on regions.
2) Building unlocks are back.
3) Four zone types.
4) Cargo lines have been added.
5) There are seasons and weather.
6) Policies and districts are back.
7) There are rats.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think I'm going to keep going with my current map a bit longer. I got very rich (relatively) and pre-planned a large area. However I didn't take into account what not having public transport available until I developed that area fully would do to me. There's massive gridlock on the few streets in the new area, and because I have a lot more districts planned I'm not sure about spinning up metros, etc.

That being said, sticking with this city, I would like to start another new city and see how I can get along. I think a big problem I've had in my past three areas is when I can buy new land I don't. I try to make the most out of what I already have, really stuffing everything in, which leaves me unable to leave space that I can adjust based on new districts. Of course that goes back to the first part of this post, that I can't just spin up entirely new areas with no plans to connect them to existing areas immediately.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Surprisingly, most of the big mods are already updated. TMPE is waiting to get its update, and some of the Network tools bitch about a version mismatch, but everything generally works.

Except for Extra Landscaping Tools. It's suuuuper hosed.

This is the city park from my LP. Normally there's a bunch of tree detailing everywhere, but all the trees placed by Extra Landscaping Tools got deleted outright. Beyond that, the toolbar used by Extra Landscaping Tools to adjust brush strength, size, and so on is permanently stuck behind the game's main toolbar, rendering both unusable.

So in short mods still broke.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Terraformed a pier for an industrial application and somehow that forced a wave against the flow of construction that submerged like half the city... For like 8 minutes. Bulldozed like 8 buildings.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap, they actually finally added zone toggling on roads to the base game in the new update?

I'm afraid to boot the game up and see what all they've broken though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's a actually huge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah that's a mod function I use a lot, nice addition. Now if they could just fix the loving zoning so it doesn't gently caress up and misalign no matter how precisely you build the roads...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can we discuss how the plobable assets for industries are loving gorgeous? I used to live in a major manufacturing center in South Korea and I'm looking forward to tearing everything I've built down and making something more representative of what I saw as soon as I get everything to five stars.

It's really a shame they never figured out or implemented a way to make larger industrial zoning blocks look organic.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 24, 2023

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Simcity 2013 was onto a good idea by having props populate around industrial areas to fill in extra space. It wasn’t perfect, but it was still a nice little touch. Shame about that game as a whole, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Try as I might I just can't get back into skylines :(

But I've gotten into Workers and Resources HARD. It has a pretty robust workshop community and you can make some really lovely cities. I've built up some massive regions and never dropped below 50 fps. It's a very different game of course, but with almost nothing about your city and economy abstracted it's very rewarding. You can't just zone some land and watch buildings pop up, you have to build them all. But you also have to make sure there's water, power and sewage as well as various consumer goods and social services. Everything's so much more details, like how your sewage system needs to be entirely gravity fed unless you want to use expensive sewage lift pumps. Or the crime system actually has 3 stages with police responding to and investigating crimes, the court system processing the cases, and the prison system then attempting to rehabilitate the criminal. A well staffed humane prison can quickly lower someone's criminality stat while also giving them a love for culture or sport or something good. An over-crowded prison with terrible staff can end up like a US style prison that just makes everyone worse off.

It's a steep learning curve but wow, when it all comes together you feel like you really earned what you've built.

Oh it also simulates parking, so if you want a car-based society you have to build an ungodly amount of parking and roads. Its a total trap option, just like in real life.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Try as I might I just can't get back into skylines :(

But I've gotten into Workers and Resources HARD. It has a pretty robust workshop community and you can make some really lovely cities. I've built up some massive regions and never dropped below 50 fps. It's a very different game of course, but with almost nothing about your city and economy abstracted it's very rewarding. You can't just zone some land and watch buildings pop up, you have to build them all. But you also have to make sure there's water, power and sewage as well as various consumer goods and social services. Everything's so much more details, like how your sewage system needs to be entirely gravity fed unless you want to use expensive sewage lift pumps. Or the crime system actually has 3 stages with police responding to and investigating crimes, the court system processing the cases, and the prison system then attempting to rehabilitate the criminal. A well staffed humane prison can quickly lower someone's criminality stat while also giving them a love for culture or sport or something good. An over-crowded prison with terrible staff can end up like a US style prison that just makes everyone worse off.

It's a steep learning curve but wow, when it all comes together you feel like you really earned what you've built.

Oh it also simulates parking, so if you want a car-based society you have to build an ungodly amount of parking and roads. Its a total trap option, just like in real life.
That looks incredible. :stare:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Entropic posted:

Holy crap, they actually finally added zone toggling on roads to the base game in the new update?

I'm afraid to boot the game up and see what all they've broken though.

They actually put magnet indicators on the freeform/straight/curved tool screen, so now I can actually tell if it's activated or not

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey so I was really annoyed at how hard it was to plan industrial areas because all the buildings have unique footprints and they're hidden until you unlock them.

I made a reference of their footprint. I only intended for this to be for me so there's probably typos misspellings and the grids might be off by a square or two in a couple cases, I'm planning on using it to populate just about every resource in a major industrial area so if something needs to be changed I'll change it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1snlkfyjSDb_npN7r1EXwxmg7T_3k_bogMVoVF6kuFzQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
The Paradox wiki for Skylines is actually really good. It already has all of this info.

https://skylines.paradoxwikis.com/Industry_areas

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I was thinking my running Cities Skylines at 20FPS was because of RAM. I installed the loading mod that tells you what happens as it happens and it looks like it's using the pagefile a lot. But then during gameplay the RAM use drops off to a few gigabtyes, so I'm guessing it's just for loading the game. I probably need to go from 16gb to 32gb at some point, but is the game really just really poor and likely to run at incredibly low framerates?

Edit: Also, I underestimated the size of land I'd need for a zoo. So now I'm building one of those horrific animal abuse zoos. I'm planning on building a better one at a later point that rescues the animals from the first one.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 25, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mrenda posted:

I was thinking my running Cities Skylines at 20FPS was because of RAM. I installed the loading mod that tells you what happens as it happens and it looks like it's using the pagefile a lot. But then during gameplay the RAM use drops off to a few gigabtyes, so I'm guessing it's just for loading the game. I probably need to go from 16gb to 32gb at some point, but is the game really just really poor and likely to run at incredibly low framerates?

Edit: Also, I underestimated the size of land I'd need for a zoo. So now I'm building one of those horrific animal abuse zoos. I'm planning on building a better one at a later point that rescues the animals from the first one.

Run task manager, set the CPU graph to "show logical processors", play the game for a bit, then tab over and look at that graph. If any cores are at full load then your CPU is just too weak. You can also check the RAM tab to see if that's full.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Run task manager, set the CPU graph to "show logical processors", play the game for a bit, then tab over and look at that graph. If any cores are at full load then your CPU is just too weak. You can also check the RAM tab to see if that's full.

I'm not maxing out RAM, GPU or CPU. I still get 15 to 29fps.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did you install the FPS Booster mod? It fixes some really stupid bugs and often doubles your FPS.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Last night I watched my friend livestream another friend helping him update his skylines mods and lighting settings. It took them 2 hours. It really made me not want to play anymore :(

Also another thing Workers and Resources does better is farming. The fields actually are big and scaled right. They're big squares, but you can build over the initial square to make them any shape you want. They look very lovely when surrounded by trees and things. Here's a big industrial area with scattered farms around.

Every little belt, track, and object does something important. Its like if the industries DLC actually worked properly.

The graphics aren't quite as pretty as skylines, not as many bells and whistles, but it's at least consistent and you can enjoy 50 fps at all time.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 26, 2023

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Baronjutter posted:

Last night I watched my friend livestream another friend helping him update his skylines mods and lighting settings. It took them 2 hours. It really made me not want to play anymore :(

Also another thing Workers and Resources does better is farming. The fields actually are big and scaled right. They're big squares, but you can build over the initial square to make them any shape you want. They look very lovely when surrounded by trees and things. Here's a big industrial area with scattered farms around.

Be still my heart. Does this game have sandboxing so I can bonsai little farming towns?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could turn on cheats and just plop stuff if you want yeah. It is primarily a very crunchy blend of city builder, factory game, and TTD-like however, and doesn't have very many options for beautification. I think you can probably build nicer looking things in skylines if you don't care about functionality at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Did you install the FPS Booster mod? It fixes some really stupid bugs and often doubles your FPS.

I installed it after you mentioned it. The difference is like night and day. The game is actually running at a decent speed, scrolling is smooth, I can see traffic moving properly, it seems to look better, and the system monitor is saying it's using more of the capacity of my hardware.