Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, stuff like Pathbuilder, Wanderer's Guide, Archives of Nethys, et. al. already exist.

I get that they're trying to provide a deeper platform experience than those tools offer, but I just don't understand expecting people to pay for this stuff when all the non-lore poo poo is free and easily accessible.

If I wanted to be uncharitable, maybe I'd say they're banking off of people not knowing those free options exist. Still, that feels overly conspiratorial compared to what might just be just a weird business miscalculation.

Is it mostly the platform and digital character sheet integration that's driving the price? Feels like they're wildly overshooting, if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Ultimately, I think it's just that it's easy to justify your product being mostly free when it starts as a fan project, and it's hard to justify when you're a business. I'm sure Demiplane just did a cost-benefit analysis and it was better to not have some diehards buy the character builder options than it is to keep a program running indefinitely for free.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They do give you a discount on books you already own in PDF form from Paizo, and you can share it with your party like Beyond, but I still just don't see the appeal. Just not enough of a benefit.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was able to get people to the table by saying I had the "Pathfinder version of DND Beyond." And that's worth a lot to me personally. Yes I own all the books, yes I'm a mark.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

3 Action Economist posted:

They do give you a discount on books you already own in PDF form from Paizo, and you can share it with your party like Beyond, but I still just don't see the appeal. Just not enough of a benefit.

The discount part is the same deal that roll20 has iirc

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

3 Action Economist posted:

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sibf?Unleash-More-Heroes-Official-Pathfinder-2nd

Demiplane has their character builder in open beta, now, but it's going to be like D&D Beyond where you have to rebuy all your books.

Some of my players asked me to run Crown of the Kobold King whilst one of my other players is busy, which I picked up on Demiplane for pretty much the same as the PDF with Paizo, and it's nice to get an offical copy from Paizo too. But I really can't see any reason to re-buy anything there (and subscribe to share the books) for character building whilst they can just use pathbuilder for free.

I'm not likely to want to pick up many more adventures from them either as I'm better off getting one of the prebuilt Foundry campaings from Paizo anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boba Pearl posted:

I was able to get people to the table by saying I had the "Pathfinder version of DND Beyond."

But you just link pathbuilder and add "and it's free"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

A Meatslab posted:

If I wanted to be uncharitable, maybe I'd say they're banking off of people not knowing those free options exist.

If that was the plan they probably wouldn't link to archives of nethys on their official product pages

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Bottom Liner posted:

You're thinking pure math, but all that stupid slide-y bullshit and pictures and stuff is super important to normie DND players. Pathbuilder is more functional, but it's not going to get people to the table in the same way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hasn't stopped any of the people I've been running games for from jumping in. I've got two campaigns and PFS going at the moment.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yes it is true we are running games for different kinds of people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I guess.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

If that was the plan they probably wouldn't link to archives of nethys on their official product pages

Ah, that's right! My bad! The wonders of closer reading :doh:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bottom Liner posted:

As soon as somebody builds a Pathbuilder competitor that actually works well on iOS devices, whoever that is can charge people to rebuy every book if they want and still make money hand over fist.

Until then? Good luck I guess. There’s definitely people coming over from 5E that think demiplane with its price tag is somehow a more “official” alternative to Beyond and have been champing at the bit for it, if my occasional conversations on the subject over the last few months have been any indication, but I have no clue how many of them there are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the gm sharing of pathbuilder new? How well does it work?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is the gm sharing of pathbuilder new? How well does it work?

From the times I've used it, well enough? But I haven't used it extensively

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, it's worked well for my group that's playing Abom Vaults. GM yoinked us all out of Pathbuilder and dropped us right into Foundry, zero issues aside from the druid's animal companion.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
my only foundry complaint is that a lot of thaumaturge features aren't in automatically, it's hardly a big deal but it's still kinda annoying

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

my only foundry complaint is that a lot of thaumaturge features aren't in automatically, it's hardly a big deal but it's still kinda annoying

If you haven't seen it yet, check out https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-thaum-vuln for some help there.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SilverMike posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, check out https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-thaum-vuln for some help there.

our next session isn't for a few weeks but I'll try this and report back

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It works great, there's a Thaumas in my group and he uses it constantly.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are elite encounters kind of a grind at low levels?

Our group of 4 level 1 PCs had a fight last night that the DM told us was elite after it took ages to resolve. One of the enemies had an AC of 21 which caused most of our attacks to miss. We flanked it or used feint on most turns to make it flat footed but the 19 AC was still tough to make.

Just wondering if our tactics weren't optimal or if this was expected. We did have a monk who joined us for the first time and mostly attacked with a cross bow. I don't know the class well enough to know if he's not using all his tools or not. The others (thaum, magus, and investigator) have been pretty good in using our abilities IMO.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Our group of 4 level 1 PCs had a fight last night that the DM told us was elite after it took ages to resolve. One of the enemies had an AC of 21 which caused most of our attacks to miss. We flanked it or used feint on most turns to make it flat footed but the 19 AC was still tough to make.

Just wondering if our tactics weren't optimal or if this was expected. We did have a monk who joined us for the first time and mostly attacked with a cross bow. I don't know the class well enough to know if he's not using all his tools or not. The others (thaum, magus, and investigator) have been pretty good in using our abilities IMO.

Higher level enemies are always a pain to hit, but especially so at first level when you have fewer options, you really want to try to debuff it via spells/tripping/demoralizing/flanking/etc

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I think we had the same fight and issue a few weeks ago. Or a similar one. Our precision ranger did the bulk of the damage but we just kept rolling badly and didn't have any autohit damage like magic missile. The GM had the enemy just leave after we'd finally gotten it low but whiffed an entire round of combat. It's a running joke now that it is the campaign end boss and will be back for revenge.

In case you're behind us in the same adventure, to avoid spoilers, I'll say without details that the big fight of the chapter was over fast in comparison as we had some insane rolls that worked out narratively.

Level one can be swingy for sure.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 25, 2023

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

I think we had the same fight and issue a few weeks ago. Or a similar one. Our precision ranger did the bulk of the damage but we just kept rolling badly and didn't have any autohit damage like magic missile. The GM had the enemy just leave after we'd finally gotten it low but whiffed an entire round of combat. It's a running joke now that it is the campaign end boss and will be back for revenge.

In case you're behind us in the same adventure, to avoid spoilers, I'll say without details that the big fight of the chapter was over fast in comparison as we had some insane rolls that worked out narratively.

Level one can be swingy for sure.

The fight I was describing was the shifting fox and an oak steward . A lot of our other fights even with three PCs went pretty smoothly, so it just seems like the higher level enemy is tough to deal with at lvl 1.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The fight I was describing was the shifting fox and an oak steward . A lot of our other fights even with three PCs went pretty smoothly, so it just seems like the higher level enemy is tough to deal with at lvl 1.

Yeah that was the one. We defeated that second opponent almost instantly then the fight just went on and on and on with the first one.

We're running 5 PCs, I'm not sure if our GM has adjusted the difficulty any. Our ranger would hit once every other round or so. Our barbarian, psychic and my oracle missed almost every round though I did fling around guidances to the point I got chewed out by a friend for not saving any for the upcoming boss fight. Our champion tried every round to trip it and resorted to crit fishing but missed every time.

I could have used my spray of stars on it but thats not much damage especially assuming it probably has a great reflex save. I would have hit a PC or two in the cone, and the curse kicking in would have weakened my other attacks. I probably would have gone ahead and done it anyway had I gotten a final round before it fled.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

an ac of 21 should be reasonably hittable at level 1. if you get them flat footed with flanking/grapple/prone you're at a +9 so you'll hit on a 12 without MAP, and a demoralize will get you to a 50/50. Bad rolls will make it hard, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Higher level enemies are definitely tougher to fight at level 1, because you just don't have as many tools to bring out, and the base number difference is larger in comparison.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sugar free jazz posted:

an ac of 21 should be reasonably hittable at level 1. if you get them flat footed with flanking/grapple/prone you're at a +9 so you'll hit on a 12 without MAP, and a demoralize will get you to a 50/50. Bad rolls will make it hard, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Grapple/prone are going to be even harder to pull off and demoralize is a single-round option. Ranged also aren't going to get flanking. It's doable, but it's not as simple as you make it appear and that's only for 1 swing per PC.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Grapple/prone are going to be even harder to pull off and demoralize is a single-round option. Ranged also aren't going to get flanking. It's doable, but it's not as simple as you make it appear and that's only for 1 swing per PC.

A "single round option" is completely fine when, particularly when you can do it as your third action without penalty.

You don't actually know they'll be harder. A Biloko Veteran has an AC21, and a fort DC of 18. If you have +7 athletics it's actually easier to grapple than hit even if you're flanking. A Caligni Stalker has 21 AC, good fort, high reflex, but weak Will, so your demoralize is going to be easy to hit and can set up everyone else right away. A Giant Stag Beetle, also CR4, has actually an AC of 22, but a 19 Reflex, trip is a lot easier.

An AC of 21 is difficult but very doable at level 1 and using normal tactics makes it a lot easier.

The reason that combat felt hard was the new player monk was apparently mostly shooting a crossbow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They said elite not level 4, which might make a difference.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

They said elite not level 4, which might make a difference.

how? they said they were level 1 and it has an ac of 21 so i'm picking stuff in that general range that would be a moderately difficult, severe level, solo encounter with an ac of 21 to illustrate that sometimes saves are lower than ac, and you can tactically take advantage of that and the encounter is actually pretty doable. im not sure how applying an elite template to something and it then having a 21 ac matters

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

sugar free jazz posted:

The reason that combat felt hard was the new player monk was apparently mostly shooting a crossbow.

This would make most fights harder

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The hardcover Core Rulebook is back in stores. :toot: Anyone know when they are going to reprint the pocket edition? I tried google but didn't get anywhere.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
With the revised editions coming I wouldn't recommend buying any of the core books ATM. Get a cheap PDF if you need, or just use Nethys for the time being.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Facebook Aunt posted:

The hardcover Core Rulebook is back in stores. :toot: Anyone know when they are going to reprint the pocket edition? I tried google but didn't get anywhere.

I hope they wait until November to coincide with the remaster.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

the best place to look for this info is paizo's web store - if it's in stock it should also be in stock at other retailers. if it's not in stock, paizo staff will likely discuss when they've ordered the next printing for in the comments to the page.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bottom Liner posted:

With the revised editions coming I wouldn't recommend buying any of the core books ATM. Get a cheap PDF if you need, or just use Nethys for the time being.

Yeah that's a good point. I got the pdf at the humble bundle. I'm just old and enjoy holding a book sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a good resource I could point the monk towards? He didn't use flurry of blows, ki spells or any stances. I don't know how he built his character, but I'm sure he should have used some of those.