Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So, like the game where the ones being eaten are famously the antagonists? Where you get the high score for eating the most of them?

There's plenty of 80s pop culture where the thing doing the consuming of everything is the enemy. Like The Thing, Gremlins, Critters, Tremors, or maybe even, bear with me, the 1988 remake of the classic movie The Blob.

No lets go with "we are the ghosts in Pac-Man."

https://twitter.com/OrTheDailyMail/status/1660914742343397376

e: 254 years ago, James Watt is granted a patent for the separate condenser, "A method of lessening the consumption of steam in steam engines"

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

So, like the game where the ones being eaten are famously the antagonists? Where you get the high score for eating the most of them?

There's plenty of 80s pop culture where the thing doing the consuming of everything is the enemy. Like The Thing, Gremlins, Critters, Tremors, or maybe even, bear with me, the 1988 remake of the classic movie The Blob.

No lets go with "we are the ghosts in Pac-Man."

tbf he could have meant being gobbled up like they are the score pellets or even the power fruit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

officer-involved deadly police chase which killed children

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Officer-adjacent child death incident.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is an interesting thread on Reddit

quote:

This is such a wierd one, so I've used a throwaway account to keep things in secrecy - I don't really know what to do at all!I run a podcast that is minorly successful (5 figure listener count) and in a particular niche, and I managed to persuade a senior politician from one of the major UK political parties to be my guest for an episode, as I knew they were interested in this particular part of history.

They signed a release form (I use a standard one) that confirmed they gave permission to be recorded, they understand they would receive no compensation for participation, to use this recording without seeking further approval, that I own the recording and have the authority to edit as required, and that I can use this in the podcast and also in any other form of media (to cover social media clips and things).

Things went well, and we had gotten around about 30 minutes in, when they said something that you really could consider career ending. An analytical endorsement of a terrible 20th century war crime, giving pros and cons to see the point of view of the perpetrators, then when asked if they would do the same, confirming so and justifying it, then making a joke about wishing they could do it today to a particular minority community.

It took the wind out of the rest of the interview really and we finished up quite swiftly after that. I had NO idea what to do with this really, and chose to sit on it for a week or so. During that week, I received a letter from a Barrister, telling me that the guest had considered their appearance to be detrimental and decided to withdraw their consent for their contribution to be made public, and if I were to do so now they have made me aware of this, they would pursue me personally in a civil claim for breach of confidence.

I'm a bit terrified and incredibly confused, does the release form mean nothing now? Anyone have any advice?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Extreme lol after everything that has gone on that Welsh police just thought “yeah, gently caress it. Just lie”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

tbf he could have meant being gobbled up like they are the score pellets or even the power fruit
"We are passive actors, mere static pixels against the famous videos guy that people like" isn't that much better.

I don't want to know what they do with power fruit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Just release it, gently caress the world

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

smellmycheese posted:

Extreme lol after everything that has gone on that Welsh police just thought “yeah, gently caress it. Just lie”

tbf "just lie" is modus operandi of most police forces when they gently caress up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The modus operandi of anybody who thinks they can count on institutional power to back them up.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

maybe the children were chasing the police van in reverse? russia deepfaked the footage to sow discord among the populace maybe

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just release it, gently caress the world

sorry sir my little brother got onto my computer and accidentally uploaded the recording to several social media websites while trying to find fortnite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine you could probably crowdfund a legal defence in that instance. Or at least annihilating a prominent politician would be good for your future career.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine you could probably crowdfund a legal defence in that instance, annihilating your future career.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Do a quick search for Lynette White and you'll see that's just South Wales Police's standard operating procedure, even moreso than most forces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it depends what your career is, "moderately successful podcaster" I feel could catapult you into "more successful podcaster" fairly easily with the attention you get from putting a prominent politician's head on a pike. Or get you a position with the opposing party.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine you could probably crowdfund a legal defence in that instance. Or at least annihilating a prominent politician would be good for your future career.

If they take it to a paper, and it's remotely as damning as they claim, most papers would likely offer to cover legal costs.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

No, gobbled up as in the source was getting noshed off while on the phonecall.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

lol it's kieth isn't it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume either one of the more foaming tories or one of the terfs from either party.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I'm assuming it's a melty podcast and the perpetrator's Gove.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

My vibes are it's a tory. Possibly JRM? I can see him trying to make a defence of the nazis in a weird, detached sort of way.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's JC going mask-off, Simon Heffer was right

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

blues thief posted:

Do a quick search for Lynette White and you'll see that's just South Wales Police's standard operating procedure, even moreso than most forces.

I did that search, and discovered that the man who decided the police should be acquitted because some files had been destroyed (files which miraculously turned up later, just where they should have been) was none other than Keith

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it's incredible that all the police have to do to get away with horrendous crimes is forget where they put some documents

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sort of like the politicians power combo of "I do not recall / I misremembered."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol @ us if it was jeremy corbyn

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s not gonna be any of the big names of any party because they did it for free and not a 6 figure bung with a no-show ‘consulting’ contract.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Going to have been Pat McFadden, and the warcrimes he wanted to copy were those of Queipo de Llano on Andalucia during the early days of the Spanish Civil War

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

crispix posted:

lol @ us if it was jeremy corbyn

corncobbed once again :negative:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

more like corbconned :smug:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The fkwits are really trying to push this 'woke blob' thing, is this going to be the new insult the right fling about?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
speaking of
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1661057226436403200
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1661057229372420097
another victim of the woke trans lobby, whoa re so powerful they caused 25% of the commission's staff to quit in the last year

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the reddit thing says senior politician from major uk party, corbyn is neither of those things right now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/mrpaulrobinson/status/1661245438509613056?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The fkwits are really trying to push this 'woke blob' thing, is this going to be the new insult the right fling about?

It's a co-opt, I've seen "the blob" being used online since around Covid times to refer to the constellation of liberal imperialist think tanks/military-industrial lobbyists/journalists/poli-sci ghouls etc who cast themselves as the progressive vanguard of civilisation but all close ranks and defend capitalism and their own careers when the chips are down - a fair criticism whether coming from left or right, Corbyn was a victim of this behaviour also. Of course that means by the time it's popular enough for Tory MPs to have heard about it, it's completely condensed down to simply mean "politically correct/woke people/anyone I don't like", so anyone using it publicly and sincerely in 2023 can be assumed fash.

Cookie Cutter fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 24, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bozza threatening war. Good. Let them fight

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1661267658396794880?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ItohRespectArmy posted:

its been a few months, time for a new PM imho

The monarch has to die first, that's the new rule. Monarch dies, PM resigns.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dickhead and his crew go on strike, no-one notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nenonen posted:

The monarch has to die first, that's the new rule. Monarch dies, PM resigns.

Now now, the other option is the PM resigns in disgrace, a new one is 'elected,' meets the monarch once and then the monarch immediately dies.