Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'll go with 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finished MSQ. Was... mildly underwhelmed. The Garlean stuff was cool but it did feel a little slow to move. Golbez first looking like he wasn't the dead ringer to Golbez FFIV but then actually being him but taking the Golbez identity was original but otherwise I was mildly whelmed by "Azdaja becomes Shadow Dragon, Zeromus is just a big voidsent.

Also, for Cleretic, I'm pretty sure Golbez's plan either involves "use Zeromus to punch open a giant gate and let all voidsent invade so they take over and can start dying" or "force a rejoining unknowingly by having Zeromus invade the Source". Not much there, using Zeromus to invade is pretty explicit.

Expansion foreshadowing: yeah, between the letter and Thancred talking to Urianger it's pretty clear we're gonna go explore some place (Meracrydia, the New World or otherwise) for a client. And whoo boy are people who hate the Scion gonna rage in that Krile, Thancred and Urianger are pretty much confirmed to be relevant in the expansion.

Gotta do raid and Tataru yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Krile . . . pretty much confirmed to be relevant in the expansion.

God, please, I beg of you

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Krile, you need to open up your Smash Bros. Ultimate invitation already!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

patch sucks because I refuse to say Ze-RO-mus instead of Zero-mus like I've been calling him for like 25 years now. You ain't gonna change me, Square-Enix :colbert:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here being pleased with the roster for the 4.0 Duty Support additions.

Gosetsu Tank, Arenvald Tank in Ala Mhigo, Raubahn DPS in Ala Mhigo, and Yugiri gets in on the action for Doma Castle. Plus Lyse for some of them. Hell, Carvallain as the tank at Sirensong Sea is neat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Samurai tank? Gosetsu must think this is Final Fantasy XI.

How does that work for Ala Mhigo, though? Wasn't Raubahn in the background fighting NPCs when you go through the dungeon?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Samurai tank? Gosetsu must think this is Final Fantasy XI.

How does that work for Ala Mhigo, though? Wasn't Raubahn in the background fighting NPCs when you go through the dungeon?

I mean, if they can rebuild entire fights from the ground up, surely they can remove one NPC from the background.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

just realized I wanted to see what the Doma castle final boss is like but I'm busy now.

hope it's cool

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, if they can rebuild entire fights from the ground up, surely they can remove one NPC from the background.
Thats his Warframe. Vauban.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just got through MSQ stuff. A lot happens in a pretty short time. Definitely enjoyed the dungeon with the playful polar pandas and the trial was a pretty neat fight. Mucked up and died a couple times but honestly pretty predictable overall.

A bit weird they keep talking about the watcher helping with things but they never actually show them.

Also any interaction with the lopporrits is great. I love those adorable morons.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 23, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Arist posted:

God, please, I beg of you

Krile misses the whole next expansion because she forgets to ever open that letter.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ultima being a godsdamned alien was unexpected but it does make sense.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Regarding MSQ, I expect crystal of original Golbez lost in Zodiark pit will play some role in the future and Zeromus will likely behave differently from what "Golbez impostor" expects, being affected by that crystal.

OF weirdos probably hate MSQ in this patch too.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 23, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's a safe bett that OF weirdoes will hate everything short of Garlemald and the Ancients being venerated as peak civilizations. Maybe Allag, too.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Pretty sure the OF hates every patch

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly I really like how sentimental the Pandaemonium finale is. The Warrior of Light gets to throw down with Themis another time in an almost celebratory fashion, but then reunite with him as true friends, deepen your bond together, and part with respect and affection for one another and certainty that he is at peace and happy, while also knowing that Erichthonis' reincarnation as Claudien has a new purpose to his life.

Lahabrea's still a dick, though.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Does anyone know wbat bicolor items were added this patch?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloody Pom posted:

Ultima being a godsdamned alien was unexpected but it does make sense.

I clicked too fast and picked the wrong option there. Any other details?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I think it's a safe bett that OF weirdoes will hate everything short of Garlemald and the Ancients being venerated as peak civilizations. Maybe Allag, too.

Don't forget that they also hate every moment any of the scions is in scene not dying and getting removed in exchange of whatever characters they like.

Opinions on the raids:

soken why do you hit me with a To the Edge remix that's cruel i almsot cried vs Elidibus

Anyways, overall liked all battles. Kokytus was simple, but the souls talking was a fun addition, as well as the fact the beast is totally good ol'Behemy.

Pandemonium... honestly feels very punishing for mistakes for a second boss, if your healer gets binded welp, they're ded. I do like the irregular arena, Savage will be hilariously cruel.

Elidibus was easy but really pretty fight.

Athena though, the wing attacks are cruel, I barely noticed the red circle the last time. also why is her idea of godhood Parasite Eve fairy raves

Opinions on the story:

I kinda felt everything between fights was a bit rushed? In retrospect all tiers did that, kinda weird given Savage gets delayed 1 week now. It was pretty emotional, I'm glad Athena Gaslighted, Girlbossed, Gatekept her way until defeat. Also I guess they decided Lahabrea was crazy in ARR because between pressure and probable memory loss his Hephaestion tendencies flared up. I am glad we got the final talk with Themis, it did feel like an epilogue to the Ancients. Now the remaining Ascians can just pop up on gatherer quests if they want to.

About the future:

I'm seeing some people who say we're going to another planet for 7.0 and I don't think so? Like, the Heart of Sabik being auracite just means that it comes from Ultima, that Ultima might predate the Sundering and that Ultima is an alien as we suspected.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Dwesa posted:

Regarding MSQ, I expect crystal of original Golbez lost in Zodiark pit will play some role in the future and Zeromus will likely behave differently from what "Golbez impostor" expects, being affected by that crystal.

it's fine but i find the whole "ok you've beaten me but I'm gonna do my bullshit just the same" thing deeply irritating

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

derra posted:

Does anyone know wbat bicolor items were added this patch?

Word is it's just 1 or 2 furniture items.

The new bicolor gemstone items seem to be the only things not on this list.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly I really like how sentimental the Pandaemonium finale is. The Warrior of Light gets to throw down with Themis another time in an almost celebratory fashion, but then reunite with him as true friends, deepen your bond together, and part with respect and affection for one another and certainty that he is at peace and happy, while also knowing that Erichthonis' reincarnation as Claudien has a new purpose to his life.

Lahabrea's still a dick, though.

I was really thrown off by that voiced cutscene at the end with Themis. Was that the first fully voiced scene in a side quest since, like, Coils?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I did like in Pandæmonium where they hammered, one more time, "I don't care if you got his memories, you're not Erichthonios. That ain't how reincarnation works. You're someone else, don't play at being my son." Especially with all the souljacking happening and the pondering that the memory crystal should have responded to Claudien from the beginning but that his soul might have drifted far afield of his Ancient incarnation so the resonance took longer.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zlodo posted:

it's fine but i find the whole "ok you've beaten me but I'm gonna do my bullshit just the same" thing deeply irritating

Yeah it makes the fight feel pointless since the outcome of beating him is the same as the outcome would be if we'd just stood there and let him do whatever he wanted

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Anyone who didn't go all in on the spiciest curry option and then gleefully ask for more is a coward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hogama posted:

I did like in Pandæmonium where they hammered, one more time, "I don't care if you got his memories, you're not Erichthonios. That ain't how reincarnation works. You're someone else, don't play at being my son." Especially with all the souljacking happening and the pondering that the memory crystal should have responded to Claudien from the beginning but that his soul might have drifted far afield of his Ancient incarnation so the resonance took longer.

I also liked Lahabrea's "Don't think this makes me sympathetic or anything, I'm still your bad guy."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am glad they spent a lot of time assuring we know that Athena is just a completely horrible person and even if the Auracite influenced her it only made her do stuff she already wanted to do. No redemption, no greater goals, she just was a horrible person who left massive scars on her son and husband.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zlodo posted:

It sucks, but that is Golbez's signature move in his home game.

ImpAtom posted:

I am glad they spent a lot of time assuring we know that Athena is just a completely horrible person and even if the Auracite influenced her it only made her do stuff she already wanted to do. No redemption, no greater goals, she just was a horrible person who left massive scars on her son and husband.

The Ancients really needed a counseling department on the Convocation.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FF14 players can have an unequivocally awful, no-tragic-excuse villainess who goes to her grave as a pure heel unrepentant and unmourned, as a treat.

Hogama posted:

Although some of that is of course Lahabrea being Lahabrea, and thus a dick, it does also fit with the whole "reincarnation is continuity along a stream but not identical perpetuation."

The Ancients really needed a counseling department on the Convocation.

Technically I get the impression that was partly Azem's job and partly Themis' job. I kind of wonder what on earth Lahabrea saw in Athena, though, even allowing for him also being a giant jerk. Was she just really, really good at putting on a loving facade?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 23, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I thought until the last moment that they were going to reveal the redhead was Igeyorhm.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Technically I get the impression that was partly Azem's job and partly Themis' job. I kind of wonder what on earth Lahabrea saw in Athena, though, even allowing for him also being a giant jerk. Was she just really, really good at putting on a loving facade?

I have to imagine she kept her mask on most of the time, both literally and metaphorically, because one look into her eyes lets you know she's Seymour Guado level nuts.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
the panda in the sea not actually panda but an azyz lla factory glammed to look like it, right?
early raid quests spoilers

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Correct.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

I have to imagine she kept her mask on most of the time, both literally and metaphorically, because one look into her eyes lets you know she's Seymour Guado level nuts.

Yeah, there's crazy and then there's cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, and this lady poured a whole bowl milk-first. It's great.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Zeruel posted:

the panda in the sea not actually panda but an azyz lla factory glammed to look like it, right?
early raid quests spoilers

Does make you wonder where the "actual" Pandaemonium is. Destroyed in the Sundering, probably? Erichthonios wouldn't have known that was coming, and that's presumably how he reincarnated as Claudien.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just burned through the new raids. A great sendoff for Elidibus for sure, and honestly some much needed development for Lahabrea.

Interesting question they don't really get into though: If the High Seraph was on the star during the sundering, that implies she was sundered along with everything else, yeah?

Related question about older content: Do they ever explain why the three unsundered Ascians weren't sundered? How did they avoid that fate?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bobtheconqueror posted:

Related question about older content: Do they ever explain why the three unsundered Ascians weren't sundered? How did they avoid that fate?

Nope. This has always been left open.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They actually did explain it, just not in-game. It's not a great explanation, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The word from the devs in a live letter, as I recall, was essentially that Hydaelyn spared Emet (although it wasn't so much 'deliberately missing him' so much as 'not deliberately hitting him and just trusting he's a tricky enough bitch to dodge'), and that Lahabrea just lucked out by happening to be nearby.