Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/deerfella/status/1659590820842946560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I'm sure it's been beat to death in this thread but I'm not sifting through hundreds of pages. Does anyone have handy to them a good reference for rebuilding valvtronic on a 06 3 series? No codes stored but it idles like a 2 stroke diesel barge. Put put put put.....
Do I need to replace the whole eccentric? Just the sensor and the motor? At a loss.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Did you nerds see this?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/keep-calm-bmw-made-a-modern-clownshoe-from-a-z4

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

I'm sure it's been beat to death in this thread but I'm not sifting through hundreds of pages. Does anyone have handy to them a good reference for rebuilding valvtronic on a 06 3 series? No codes stored but it idles like a 2 stroke diesel barge. Put put put put.....
Do I need to replace the whole eccentric? Just the sensor and the motor? At a loss.

I'd start with the sensor and confirm motor function/failure. I can't imagine the eccentric shaft failing in a way that doesn't leave you with a WHOLE bunch of other problems. Note: when you're removing the bolts that hold the eccentric shaft sensor on, you have to put your 10mm socket through the plastic chain guide. You really do not want to drop that bolt down into the timing chain cavity. Be prepared!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I just want those wheels, they look so good.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've been having trouble with the fob for my 2012 1 series being registered by the car for automatic locking and pushbutton start.

Occasionally I have to practically hold it against the dash or the door, which sort of defeats the purpose of those functions.

I replaced the battery recently, though it was with a no-name brand. Are they picky about batteries? Is it just dying and I should look for a replacement?

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Gangringo posted:

I've been having trouble with the fob for my 2012 1 series being registered by the car for automatic locking and pushbutton start.

Occasionally I have to practically hold it against the dash or the door, which sort of defeats the purpose of those functions.

I replaced the battery recently, though it was with a no-name brand. Are they picky about batteries? Is it just dying and I should look for a replacement?

I've found that the el-cheapo lithium CR2032's don't work as well. After fighting with the same issues, holding it at the door or between the induction points on the steering column, I went back to Duracell or Energizer and the problems went away.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah prime suspect would be the battery. If it works after swapping the battery again it should rule out other problems. I changed the battery in my E39 fob (got a panasonic one) and it works every time now as opposed to when it felt like it. I don't think it was induction-charging properly neither. Tried both the car and electric toothbrush station method.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Gangringo posted:

The one for me E91 ends up just needing to spend a long drive in the charger thingy in the dash where non keyless access whatever cars have to put the key for ignition.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My secondary fob quit unlocking the doors via Comfort Access a few years ago, but it still started the engine. Not sure what the issue was, I changed the battery in it but didn't do anything else. Then 3 months later it started working again. Best not to question it.

Related: Comfort Access is one of the best features I never knew I bigly need in all cars that have it available now.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Absolutely. It's on my list of things that if a car, no matter the price, excludes it's just to be an rear end in a top hat and upsell packages.

Keyless entry and start, automatic headlights, cruise control, automatic climate controls, and android auto should just be considered basic equipment for anything other than fleet trim work vehicles.

The cost to install them on every vehicle has to be similar to the cost of having a second set of tooling for a poverty spec model, but that doesn't sell $3k options packages now does it?

Even the cheaper version where you have to press the little handle button to both lock and unlock the doors was a no going back moment when I got my Fiesta ST.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 24, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To start my car I insert the key into the ignition and turn it well depressing the clutch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-bmw-5-series-i5-ev-first-look-review

I can see a universe where I buy an off lease 2024 i5 m sport trim in 2027

Hopefully the LCI for the 7 series/i7 heads back in this direction as well, this 5 series at least looks recognizably bmw

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Popete posted:

To start my car I insert the key into the ignition and turn it well depressing the clutch.

The cool cars dont even make you press in the clutch pedal to start it.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Well that's one way to make the new 2 series less ugly. Bring the rest of the line down to it's level.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The cool cars don’t even make you press in the clutch pedal to start it.

Can confirm

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:sigh: I knew I hit a bird while on a 400 mile road trip yesterday but I didn't realize I had a stowaway until this morning. Literally just bought this M Sport bumper when I had the car wrapped last month

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some mildly interesting discussion on 5 series styling and why it doesn't look anything like the 7 series

https://www.motor1.com/news/668773/2024-bmw-5-series-redesign-vertical-grille-exclusive/

Unsurprisingly, they dance around the fact that the 7 series sales actually went down by about 12% despite being a new model, from about 2000/quarter down to under 1500/qtr in the US market. Apparently i7 didn't sell many so if it's included or not, it's not relevant in the overall numbers

https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/bmw/7-series

I can't find global sales figures by quarter but looks like roughly 65k globally with 12k us and 15k China. The numbers stop on Wikipedia about the same time the model s started gaining prominence and stealing sales so hard to tell what's going on

Kind of curious what's going to happen to the 7 series at the LCI, probably in 2025.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Hadlock posted:

Some mildly interesting discussion on 5 series styling and why it doesn't look anything like the 7 series

https://www.motor1.com/news/668773/2024-bmw-5-series-redesign-vertical-grille-exclusive/

Unsurprisingly, they dance around the fact that the 7 series sales actually went down by about 12% despite being a new model, from about 2000/quarter down to under 1500/qtr in the US market. Apparently i7 didn't sell many so if it's included or not, it's not relevant in the overall numbers

https://carfigures.com/us-market-brand/bmw/7-series

I can't find global sales figures by quarter but looks like roughly 65k globally with 12k us and 15k China. The numbers stop on Wikipedia about the same time the model s started gaining prominence and stealing sales so hard to tell what's going on

Kind of curious what's going to happen to the 7 series at the LCI, probably in 2025.

It could also have something to do with the lease deals on 7 series going from ~$1k-$1,200/mo to like $2k+/mo right now.

Even for wealthy people, thats a lot for a non exotic car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh good point, somehow I blanked on the whole "financing got stupid expensive in the last 18 months" thing. That probably extends in some way to leased cars as well

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
for that price, they are just getting X7's instead the last 4 years

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

One of the things that's put me off changing my 5-series to a newer one is that the PCP financing seems to utilise the now-higher list prices, whilst assuming the cars will depreciate to the previous lower values by the end of the contract.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
As an I4 owner I can say their EV is awesome, and the I5 looks great but I'd wait to see when they roll out a Neue Klasse sedan in 2025 and get their range up into the 300's on the m models.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Just did a round trip drive from NY to Philly and back in our iX 50. I can confirm that BMW has under promised and over delivered. Much like their gas cars typically make more horsepower than rated, their EVs seem to get more range.

It was a 272 mi drive and I got home with 90mi remaining. Realistically it would be a bit less since the last hour of the drive was 20-45mph but never stopping traffic which is the ideal scenario for an EV, but even before that started it was indicating 3.2 mi/kWh. That would give it at least 340mi on the 105 kWh pack.

On top of the range and power it was such a nice comfortable drive. Way better then our last time doing the same drive in our 22 m440 gc.

If you can get over the looks the iX is fantastic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a very early build date, I'd probably stay away.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've managed to misplace my keyfob, while on vacation with the spare one 150 miles away - not ideal!

Thankfully there's a BMW dealer here, and they'll be open on Tuesday when we're set to go home and I don't actually need the car until then for anything other than leisure driving - anyone know what's the process of getting a replacement fob made (Comfort Access, E92)?

Mostly curious about - Would the car need to be towed to the dealer or can they program it based on the VIN? I've had the car in for recall service at my local BMW dealer and they know to send VIN recalls to my address so theoretically they can make sure I actually own it via their internal management software, but what a stupid pain in the balls I've managed to create for myself.

Also has anyone ever locked their fob in the trunk? Can you still open the doors/trunk from the proximity or does the fob actually need to be on your person? I've never experimented.

I'm not 100% sure the drat thing isn't somewhere in our room, we've turned it over about 3x now but it's large with lots of weird shelves and places to have stupidly put it, the car is 8' from our door/patio seating area in a private parking/driveway area so I can't imagine we wouldn't have seen it laying on the ground if I'd dropped it the last time I came back from buying groceries a couple days ago.

Ugh.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Update: I found it. LOL.

Just needed to clear my searching ability by writing a post.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Ether Frenzy posted:

Also has anyone ever locked their fob in the trunk? Can you still open the doors/trunk from the proximity or does the fob actually need to be on your person? I've never experimented.

Ugh.

My G20 has comfort access, so the drivers door and trunk wont lock if it detects the key anywhere in the car. But I can use the rfid card or app to then lock/unlock the car, which works out great when going to the gym or pool. I can keep everything hidden and keep the card on me i stead of putting everything in a locker.

Without Comfort Access, I believe its very much a you lock it, you've locked it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

for that price, they are just getting X7's instead the last 4 years

Sedans are a dying market. Ford doesnt even make them anymore iirc.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
RIP: the sedan.

Now I have to buy a $250,000 z4 coupe prototype.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know or have opinions on S54 spark plug torque? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on Google if it should be 18 ft-lbs or 22 ft-lbs.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

IIRC it's printed on the spark plug box.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's 23nm for the S55 which is just one number higher than the s54 so it's probably similar :v:

You aren't joking about the inconsistencies for that on google either. I saw 18-25nm with a quick look.

After I had that plug back out one of the replies on bimmerpost was that his BMW master mechanic buddy always said to do them to 25nm. And there's nothing better than random advice on the internet so I did it. I don't feel like that applies to the s54 though.

In other news, I've become very interested in 328d's in my long highway commuter search. They're actually fairly reasonably priced in the current market. This one has caught my eye. It's a 2016 so it's an LCI model which is big on some quality of life things like being able to get carplay coded in. I would like to know what the warning light is for though. I'm not completely discounting xdrive cars, but the transfer case issue with them seems pretty legit. But man would I love a wagon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I ended up going slightly above 18 ft-lbs because that's what the Bentley manual says. I still don't know if that's correct but hopefully it's good enough and it doesn't back out.

The NGK spark plug website says something way lower than that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think 18 foot pounds is pretty close to 23nm

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

It's 23nm for the S55 which is just one number higher than the s54 so it's probably similar :v:

You aren't joking about the inconsistencies for that on google either. I saw 18-25nm with a quick look.

After I had that plug back out one of the replies on bimmerpost was that his BMW master mechanic buddy always said to do them to 25nm. And there's nothing better than random advice on the internet so I did it. I don't feel like that applies to the s54 though.

In other news, I've become very interested in 328d's in my long highway commuter search. They're actually fairly reasonably priced in the current market. This one has caught my eye. It's a 2016 so it's an LCI model which is big on some quality of life things like being able to get carplay coded in. I would like to know what the warning light is for though. I'm not completely discounting xdrive cars, but the transfer case issue with them seems pretty legit. But man would I love a wagon.

I am sure Alarbus will chime in about xdelete if you do want an F31 but want to minimize transfer case involvement. Also you should absolutely get da wagon :getin:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It works pretty well honestly, and as far as I know it's good for E and F series. Hilariously, the E series xdrive clutch pack is the stronger of the two. Bimmerpost has occasional but is it safe???? talks, and it unofficially seems like there is a limit to how many times you can flash it before it bricks the xdrive unit or doesn't flash, but no one seems to know what the number is.

I fixed it by leaving the F30 in RWD and putting it up for the winter and buying an F36.

Which is kiiiiiind of like a wagon.

That said, doing the drive from Philly to Charleston, the F36 with B58 and auto got much better mileage than the F30 with an N55 and stick. Both stayed in sport mode the entire time.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Anyone know or have opinions on S54 spark plug torque? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on Google if it should be 18 ft-lbs or 22 ft-lbs.

Got this for my S54-powered M Roadster. Looks like 20-25Nm would be fine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

It works pretty well honestly, and as far as I know it's good for E and F series. Hilariously, the E series xdrive clutch pack is the stronger of the two. Bimmerpost has occasional but is it safe???? talks, and it unofficially seems like there is a limit to how many times you can flash it before it bricks the xdrive unit or doesn't flash, but no one seems to know what the number is.

I fixed it by leaving the F30 in RWD and putting it up for the winter and buying an F36.

Which is kiiiiiind of like a wagon.

That said, doing the drive from Philly to Charleston, the F36 with B58 and auto got much better mileage than the F30 with an N55 and stick. Both stayed in sport mode the entire time.

Whatever I get will be my daily so it definitely won't sit in winter, even if I make it RWD. I'm pretty comfortable driving RWD in winter with good tires so it doesn't bother me a ton. I did daily my M3 for a year in Colorado but I also didn't have a 75 mile each way commute. Came across this X3. I didn't even know they made an X3 28d. it's also kiiiiind of like a wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I feel like I may be hitting the pipe a little too hard in my car search as I'm looking at e70 x5 35d's now. They're cool and I like them but in just fuel alone they'd be in the $1500-2000 more a year range than something like a 328d.