Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Djarum posted:

Just a comedy of errors really.

Don’t forget they also broke their relationship with Europe as energy supplier over this. It’s huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

MikeC posted:

It is at times like these that I really dislike how the modern usage of the word fascist (among other terms) has grown so wide and nebulous that it ceases to have any real meaning and is instead used whenever a person seeks to preemptively take the moral high ground to shut down discussion on their position.

In terms of the morality of the situation, I think most people understand there are shades of grey here. The question of whether a citizen is morally obligated to defend their country has ties to the political organization of their country. Most western democracies (as it is understood) offer a wide range of personal freedoms and access to political decision making on some level. I personally think almost without a doubt that citizens of such a country are morally obligated to fight. You can't imo enjoy the freedoms and protections of the state and then abandon the civic responsibility that comes with it. Running away when the country gets invaded definitely counts as avoiding civic responsibility.

That same question is different for a person in an authoritarian state (the loose non technical term most people associate with the word fascist these days) who enjoys no civic rights and no political participation. Especially when such a state engages in an offensive war where there is no clear and imminent threat justifying preemptive action.

So just because conscription is a tool commonly used by authoritarian regimes, the fact that a state may enact harsh conscription with consequences for dodging, doesn't mean that state is skirting towards fascism. I am not going to just give the Ukrainian government a free pass here because I understand that there is meaningful corruption that occurs and I am not familiar with how robust their democracy and rule of law is but conscription alone doesn't make for fascism.

We should take care to use terms in a more precise manner if engaging in good faith discussions.

Fascism is a pretty useless term these days. People will support authoritarian regimes conducting genocides, heavy use of propaganda, using nationalism to start wars, jailing/murdering members of the opposition, running concentration camps etc, as long as they don't make use of certain specific aesthetics. To me, the aesthetics of fascism is possibly the least objectionable aspect of it, but to others, it's the only thing that matters.

Conscription can be a powerful tool for resisting fascism. Smaller countries can put up a plausible defense against larger neighbours using conscription, which would be difficult with an entirely professional army. Ideally, it also equalises society more, since conscription ideally hits everyone equally, whether rich or poor or black or white or whatever. In practice, that's not always the case, especially not in places like Russia, but still. Not having a dedicated warrior class means you don't need to find busywork for your warrior class, which should be good for peace.

I feel like people will also be less likely to support aggressive wars if their family will be directly affected due to conscription, but I don't have any sources for that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HonorableTB posted:

Russia can't deal with 200 guys in a few humvees taking over border villages in a day-plus long raid. I'm pretty sure this counteroffensive is going to go well for Ukraine.

They didn't think of building some trenches and dragon teeth there!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

They didn't think of building some trenches and dragon teeth there!

They built dragon teeth. They just didn't cover the road used since they didn't want to block that. And of course it was barely manned.

Storkrasch posted:

I feel like people will also be less likely to support aggressive wars if their family will be directly affected due to conscription, but I don't have any sources for that.
Not very effective in Russia, since the mistresses and kids of elites live in the West.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 23, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Storkrasch posted:

USA circa 1965-1973

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
While I wouldn't call Ukraine a fascist state, I wish they'd stop giving heavy weaponry to nazis

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1660980457993822209?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

adebisi lives posted:

While I wouldn't call Ukraine a fascist state, I wish they'd stop giving heavy weaponry to nazis

"The guy on the far right"

WHICH ONE??? :mad:

(also, you might tell the same to Russians, except I guess they would have the same reaction as above)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The Nazis are out of Ukraine, I would call denazification a rousing success.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Every now and again I do have to appreciate how Ukraine started this conflict off being invaded from three sides and not only held out but have pushed the battlefront east of the Dnieper. Finland's Winter War comes to mind, although I'm hoping this ends in happier circumstances.

Time is fuzzy these days - so outlook may have been different back then, but I recall it being months after the war broke out - but I remember several Finnish experts saying that Ukraine is unlikely to come out of the conflict less scathed compared to Winter War (3 months) or the Continuation War (3 years 2 months). Even with the land concessions Finland had to make I have an inkling that the damage to infrastructure has already far exceeded Finland's troubles.

I don't have comparative numbers between the two, but the war in Ukraine's sake feels more total with regards to damage to population centers and infrastructure despite Russia not even officially declaring a full mobilization. Basic goods were definitely harder to come by in Finland during the wars though. Times after the war were definitely hard in Finland and the nation was basically still quite a backwater compared today or the decades after, and the considerable war reparations to the Soviet Union forced Finland to renew its economy and the entire society/education etc. to produce different kinds of products, which ironically opened the Soviet markets for Finnish exports. "The boom years" and economic growth might have been inevitable for the young nation thanks to the age pyramid and other societal aspects regardless, though.

All of this is not in order to criticise Ukrainian efforts of defending itself. Despite Russia being a big boogeyman in Finland's case and the war being absolutely total, Russia feels more malicious (and capable) in damaging civilian infrastructure than in WW2. This is not to downplay Finnish civilian casualties. Apparently OCHR has about 8000 confirmed civilian casualties in Ukraine, Finnish casualties were about a thousand in the winter war, which seems to be the number for continuation war as well. Finnish population was less than one tenth of Ukraine's today. But then again modern construction\shelters etc.

One thing I imagine is for sure though is that foreign and internal politics in Ukraine are bound to be way more antagonistic towards Russian views or Russia in general than they were in Finland post-war.

All in all I guess you can't compare them apples to apples but I just generally feel that hoping that this ends in happier circumstances for Ukraine sounds a little naive, be it foreign/internal politics, economic damages, land concessions or lives lost or traumatised. That is not to be doomposting, but to echo of the opinions stated by Finnish historians/experts while not downplaying either conflict. I don't mean to criticise the poster, but I felt this had to be stated.

Edit: one aspect is that the Soviets didn't make it to major population centers aside from Vyborg which was the 2nd most populous city at the time, and even it was evacuated. (to what degree of success I'm not sure)

Dessel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 23, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dessel posted:

Time is fuzzy these days - so outlook may have been different back then, but I recall it being months after the war broke out - but I remember several Finnish experts saying that Ukraine is unlikely to come out of the conflict less scathed compared to Winter War (3 months) or the Continuation War (3 years 2 months). Even with the land concessions Finland had to make I have an inkling that the damage to infrastructure has already far exceeded Finland's troubles.

I don't have comparative numbers between the two, but the war in Ukraine's sake feels more total with regards to damage to population centers and infrastructure despite Russia not even officially declaring a full mobilization. Basic goods were definitely harder to come by in Finland during the wars though. Times after the war were definitely hard in Finland and the nation was basically still quite a backwater compared today or the decades after, and the considerable war reparations to the Soviet Union forced Finland to renew its economy and the entire society/education etc. to produce different kinds of products, which ironically opened the Soviet markets for Finnish exports. "The boom years" and economic growth might have been inevitable for the young nation thanks to the age pyramid and other societal aspects regardless, though.

All of this is not in order to criticise Ukrainian efforts of defending itself. Despite Russia being a big boogeyman in Finland's case and the war being absolutely total, Russia feels more malicious (and capable) in damaging civilian infrastructure than in WW2. This is not to downplay Finnish civilian casualties. Apparently OCHR has about 8000 confirmed civilian casualties in Ukraine, Finnish casualties were about a thousand in the winter war, which seems to be the number for continuation war as well. Finnish population was less than one tenth of Ukraine's today. But then again modern construction\shelters etc.

One thing I imagine is for sure though is that foreign and internal politics in Ukraine are bound to be way more antagonistic towards Russian views or Russia in general than they were in Finland post-war.

All in all I guess you can't compare them apples to apples but I just generally feel that hoping that this ends in happier circumstances for Ukraine sounds a little naive, be it foreign/internal politics, economic damages, land concessions or lives lost or traumatised. That is not to be doomposting, but to echo of the opinions stated by Finnish historians/experts while not downplaying either conflict. I don't mean to criticise the poster, but I felt this had to be stated.

Yeah, I get what you mean. The land concessions Finland was forced to do were large, but the devastation brought by the war was more or less contained to the regions given to Soviet Union. Those were also mostly evacuated of civilian population by the front reached the areas, or wilderness and forests, so that's why the numbers stayed low.

So basically "only" thing Finland had to do was to new homes for the 250 000 or so displaced Karelians, and rebuild the industry to pay the very unfair war reparations to Soviet Union. SU deciding to for once try appeasement instead of hostility and giving back the Porkkala base in 1957 meant that the full occupation would not happen, at least for now and we might survive without the fate similar to the Baltic countries. Hindsight is 20/20, but it could have been much, much worse.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

adebisi lives posted:

They got that at the local military surplus store though?

Also what about the rusych battalion

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's been a while since we've had a "here's a picture of some random right-wing rear end in a top hat fighting against Russia, hint hint guess the vast majority of Ukraine's government and military really is nazis" post.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Nazi Jew Zelensky want to kill all the Jew -- very nice! (Borat)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

It's been a while since we've had a "here's a picture of some random right-wing rear end in a top hat fighting against Russia, hint hint guess the vast majority of Ukraine's government and military really is nazis" post.

Well this one isnt random its pretty much a whole unit of Russian nazi emigres that Ukraine (either SBU or GUR) kits out to do these PR raids.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a good thing that the militaries of NATO countries aren't completely stuffed to the brim with nazis and fascists. If they were, the whataboutism would be pretty embarrassing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

Well this one isnt random its pretty much a whole unit of Russian nazi emigres that Ukraine (either SBU or GUR) kits out to do these PR raids.

Which I guess, is the whole point: Either they make themselves annoying in Russia, outside of Ukraine, or Russia bombs their own villages until those pesky intruders are dead. Win-win on the denazification front!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Josep Borrell says that EU has now delivered 220k artillery shells out of the 1 million shells promised to Ukraine in March :toot:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Djarum posted:

Bakhmut I think was a purposeful campaign for Ukraine. They realized that Russia was going to expend everything they could to take it and try to proclaim some victory at any cost. It cost them dearly in both blood and treasure, while Ukraine lost some it was calculated and far, far less. Tying them up for almost a year also depleted resources that could have solidified lines elsewhere. So Russia was able to take a location that is relatively insignificant, at great cost while hurting themselves elsewhere.

Now you have an oncoming offensive from Ukraine which will be outfitted with new, much more modern equipment than before and by and large newer than what Russia is fielding. You couple that with material shortages on the Russian side it is not going to be a pretty scenario for them going forward.

Russia has made an excellent example of “winning the battle but lost the war” for us. I don’t see any realistic path for anything resembling victory for Russia. Their ability to take Ukraine was over three weeks into the war and I don’t see a realistic case for them to be able to hold on to much of the territory they currently have. I don’t even know what a peace agreement would even be at this point. Russia has less and less leverage as this goes on and Ukraine has little reason to give anything up to make it happen.

It is hilarious is that everything Russia was afraid was going to happen in Ukraine that wasn’t likely now likely will. They are going to be defacto NATO immediately upon Russia being gone, the country is going to have massive investment from the West especially within their computer and military industries who will no doubt become a major exporter of arms to former Russian customers as things go forward. Also I am pretty certain Russia is going to lose access a large portion of the Black Sea which is going to seriously harm them as well.

Just a comedy of errors really. Historians are going to be going :psyduck: about this conflict for centuries to come.

I don't see how how any counter offensive is going to yield meaningful results given the time that Russia has had to fortify the gently caress out of their side of the front. There's multiple layers of defense, minefields, pre-sighted artillery, anti-tank ditches, dragons teeth and an extensive trench network rivalling that of WW1 powers. Ukraine is already kind of outgunned and outnumbered using its defensive advantage to wear down Russian troops on the attack, even if they can clear a strip or two out of the minefields and blast their way through the defenses they are going to be advancing along narrow corridors while constantly hammered with artillery. If they aren't perfectly coordinated and fast in their actions it's going to gently caress up and they'll get eaten alive. In this scenario the only way an equivalent NATO force could gain an edge is using their air assets to bomb the gently caress out of the area and provide CAS which again is impossible due to lethal layers of ground based air defence provided by Russia.

I think Ukraine delaying the offensive has to do with these realizations. I'm sure they have a core of reasonably well trained NATO standard troops with NATO standard weapons, but they get maybe 1 shot and if it fucks up or fails to achieve meaningful results I think we'll end up in a stalemate.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WarpedLichen posted:

The Nazis are out of Ukraine, I would call denazification a rousing success.

pretty smart to just export the russian nazis back to russia, imo

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is anyone able to expand upon what he means by Soviet Mindset? How is this different compared to other militaries?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is anyone able to expand upon what he means by Soviet Mindset? How is this different compared to other militaries?

- 'rules based' warfare that tends to be inflexible when scenarios change or special circumstances are encountered, particularly in the short term
- relatedly, a lack of allowed or desired initiative at low levels
- also relatedly, the 'garbage in, garbage out' problem that some have noted, where incentives lead to lies or exaggerations that results in doubling down when they really, really shouldn't. (The rules say to exploit reported breakthroughs, but if someone hmmm slightly exaggerates whether theyve made a breakthrough then you end up throwing your reinforcements into a wood chipper.)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What people often mean is that Soviet militaries are top-down and hierarchical, where commanders provide very detailed objectives that should be followed fully by the soldiers with no deviation. NATO emphasises mission command, where soldiers are given an objective, but they have more freedom for how to make it happen.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's why you had generals getting murked sorting out problems that in the West a major would have already been working on.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The Soviet mindset refers to among other things a culture of covering your rear end to the detriment of your strategic success. Many of the Russian failures can be attributed to holdovers from the Soviet Union where nobody wants to be the bearer of bad news and it encourages lies instead of truth when it comes to situational awareness for top battlefield commanders.

The Soviet mindset also ties into their doctrine which was derived from WW2 era deep operations. Specifically leveraging massed artillery firepower and using other weapons as if they were a substitute for mass artillery firepower to engineer a breakthrough which then leads to combined mechanized groups exploiting that weakness and pushing forward at all costs until they reach the strategic objective outlined in their battle plans.

The problem with this is that the Soviet military removes individual initiative from the NCO corps and junior officers to adapt to battlefield conditions. They lose almost all sense of creativity and the only tool left in your tactical arsenal is a proverbial hammer.

In the Ukrainian armed forces there are two generations. You have former Soviet Union military officers, many of whom were pulled out of retirement because there wasn’t anyone around butting heads against a new generation of NCOs and junior officers trained according to NATO standards. The Soviet doctrine expects deference to your superiors, micromanagement from higher ranked officers and rigid adherence to initial battle plans often with minimal communication or updates once the plan is in the execution phase.

The NCOs and Junior officers expect to receive general orders like “take this position” and then they would come up with how they would execute this task on their own and feed more specific tactical plans and orders based on the strategic goals their officers expect them to achieve.

The battle of Kiyiv is an example of this at work where a lot of initiative taken by people on the ground led to successful resistance against the Russians that otherwise wouldn’t be possible if they were following Soviet model command and control. Everyone in the absence of greater detail from command basically made their own plans to execute battle plans to defend the place on a local level with little input from above.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't see how how any counter offensive is going to yield meaningful results given the time that Russia has had to fortify the gently caress out of their side of the front. There's multiple layers of defense, minefields, pre-sighted artillery, anti-tank ditches, dragons teeth and an extensive trench network rivalling that of WW1 powers. Ukraine is already kind of outgunned and outnumbered using its defensive advantage to wear down Russian troops on the attack, even if they can clear a strip or two out of the minefields and blast their way through the defenses they are going to be advancing along narrow corridors while constantly hammered with artillery. If they aren't perfectly coordinated and fast in their actions it's going to gently caress up and they'll get eaten alive. In this scenario the only way an equivalent NATO force could gain an edge is using their air assets to bomb the gently caress out of the area and provide CAS which again is impossible due to lethal layers of ground based air defence provided by Russia.

I think Ukraine delaying the offensive has to do with these realizations. I'm sure they have a core of reasonably well trained NATO standard troops with NATO standard weapons, but they get maybe 1 shot and if it fucks up or fails to achieve meaningful results I think we'll end up in a stalemate.

You’re assuming any of these fortifications are actually functional, and that someone didn’t steal, barter, sell off, or otherwise trade the materials used in creating at least some of those defenses.

The previous dragon’s teeth that were completely hollow come to mind.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It should perhaps be noted why the soviet system was the way it was.

Push logistics and warfare as a science with formulas where you put in numbers and get a deterministic battle plan works well on a battlefield where communication is severely lacking. In the case of WW2 they had field telephones and very limited radio, and communication in the field involved runners.

The assumption the old Soviet army was built around is this: On the future battlefield most of your radios would be slag shortly after the war goes hot.

And massed artillery is an evergreen if you can't have air dominance.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

It doesn't matter how well you fortify there is always going to be weak points in a defense and by most accounts they haven't fortified much of their lines and much of what they have looks badly done, see the fake Dragon's Teeth that was just mentioned. Even the trenching that has been done has either been done nonsensically or incorrectly. Pre-sighted artillery are a liability and can be destroyed by various options available to the Ukrainians. Even then Russia has limited artillery ammunition to engage in a long term defense. This isn't a year ago where they could launch tens of thousands of shells a day.

Also Ukraine has the forces to conduct two full scale offensives at the same time which I don't think Russia has the ability to defend both which we saw last year with the offensives. Russia chose to defend the Northern Advance while the Southern mostly went on without a ton of resistance and ultimately took Kherson without a fight. You are likely to see much the same scenario again this time in which Russia has to pick and choose what front is most important, my guess is the Northern one again especially with the incursions into Belgorod there will be a lot of pressure for the military to protect the border.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Good reply, thanks all.

Djarum posted:

It doesn't matter how well you fortify there is always going to be weak points in a defense and by most accounts they haven't fortified much of their lines and much of what they have looks badly done, see the fake Dragon's Teeth that was just mentioned. Even the trenching that has been done has either been done nonsensically or incorrectly. Pre-sighted artillery are a liability and can be destroyed by various options available to the Ukrainians. Even then Russia has limited artillery ammunition to engage in a long term defense. This isn't a year ago where they could launch tens of thousands of shells a day.

Also Ukraine has the forces to conduct two full scale offensives at the same time which I don't think Russia has the ability to defend both which we saw last year with the offensives. Russia chose to defend the Northern Advance while the Southern mostly went on without a ton of resistance and ultimately took Kherson without a fight. You are likely to see much the same scenario again this time in which Russia has to pick and choose what front is most important, my guess is the Northern one again especially with the incursions into Belgorod there will be a lot of pressure for the military to protect the border.

Is there also a risk the Russian forces in the Country just kind of... collapse? Like, they don't have enough troops for a real full scale occupation and with that how do they intend to keep supply lines open with the countryside is hostile?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I think Russian troops are more likely to abandon their positions than most people are expecting. I don't think it's going to be easy but there should be some soft spots that allow opportunity.

If Ukraine's casualty/equipment reports are even slightly tethered to reality then they have been hunting artillery. Yesterday's numbers are almost quadruple their average for the war and double what they've been running the last week or two. There's been a significant uptick there.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Djarum posted:

fake Dragon's Teeth
Talking of which, I came across this video a few days ago. No idea of the source but it's got to Ukrainian given the appearance of the concrete tetrahedrons of shame.
https://twitter.com/MMaenpaa1/status/1659934483758436353

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there also a risk the Russian forces in the Country just kind of... collapse? Like, they don't have enough troops for a real full scale occupation and with that how do they intend to keep supply lines open with the countryside is hostile?

Well in warfare generally you are holding points on a map. Like 90% of the territory Russia controls in Ukraine there isn't a member of the Russian forces anywhere near them. A good 70% are at various points at the front lines and the other 30% are at various places in the rear; depots, HQ, staging areas along with small garrisons in larger population centers. Now there is a legitimate concern that supply lines can get cut off in which troops at the front need to retreat. This is why Ukraine has been targeting things like supply hubs, ammo dumps, supply depots and command centers. It's a lot easier to cut off the supplies to an enemy to defeat them than to engage them directly.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Djarum posted:

Also Ukraine has the forces to conduct two full scale offensives at the same time which I don't think Russia has the ability to defend

Are you joking or are you for real? or perhaps you're a comedian actor like Zelensky?!?
Ukraine army is decimated, the only reason they (sometimes) put up a fight against the russians is because of the countless billions of dollars/euros of military hardware we send them from the west.
Also many of those billions are used to keep afloat the ukrainian corrupt and bankrupted state too (for paying salaries of all the public clerks, administrative personnel, etc.): thank God there is Orban who put a stop to this.
Enjoy while it lasts, because soon all the money flow from us stupid westerners will end! :discourse:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Good reply, thanks all.

Yes. Also the puppet regimes in the Donbas could easily just disappear once the hand in the puppet falls away- like it did in afganistan, south Vietnam and Lebanon.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

It should perhaps be noted why the soviet system was the way it was.

What you said, but also that when the Red Army that won the war was built, they could field a limited amount of well-trained and experienced officers but almost nothing could be expected from the largely untrained and often only barely literate junior officers. This lead to a system where the higher levels worked their rear end off to micromanage everything, and the job of the junior officers was strictly to implement the commands of their superiors.

This really wasn't a bad way to do it given the constraints they were working under after the first two armies they raised and most their officers got killed by the Nazis. But they could have easily fixed all their structural issues after the war ended, they didn't, instead they just ossified the system as it was.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MikeC posted:

In terms of the morality of the situation, I think most people understand there are shades of grey here. The question of whether a citizen is morally obligated to defend their country has ties to the political organization of their country. Most western democracies (as it is understood) offer a wide range of personal freedoms and access to political decision making on some level. I personally think almost without a doubt that citizens of such a country are morally obligated to fight. You can't imo enjoy the freedoms and protections of the state and then abandon the civic responsibility that comes with it. Running away when the country gets invaded definitely counts as avoiding civic responsibility.

Why is the civic responsibility to the state override the individual liberty to life? Isn't that the most important freedom of all?

Moreover, what about offensive actions that institute drafts like the Vietnam and Korean conflicts? Doesn't the fact that western democracies like the US regularly lie about the need to defend oneself from foreign adversaries muddy the water?

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 24, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why is the civic responsibility to the state override the individual liberty to life? Isn't that the most important freedom of all?

Moreover, what about offensive actions that institute drafts like the Vietnam and Korean conflicts? Doesn't the fact that the US state regularly lies about the need to defend oneself from foreign adversaries muddy the water?

A state which refuses to defend itself is a state which will fail. For better or worse, that means conscription. To the extent that states can get away with not defending themselves, its because someone else does it for them. In practice that has meant American hegemony.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Moreover, what about offensive actions that institute drafts like the Vietnam and Korean conflicts? Doesn't the fact that western democracies like the US regularly lie about the need to defend oneself from foreign adversaries muddy the water?

No individual liberty is absolute, and every liberty must be weighed against the community. The understanding that a citizen has a duty to defend their community predates the state. You can look as far back as the Greek polis and its hoplites for examples.

You might say in this modern era that dying for one's community, be that a state or otherwise, is outdated, but it is a fairly standard expectation for citizenship throughout history. It's as much a part of the social contract as taxes. If you want to make a broader anarchist argument about the tyranny of the state and how it sends those at the bottom of the hierarchy to die, or perhaps a broader communist argument about the tyranny of the bourgeoisie and how they send the lower classes to die, fine. There's a perfectly valid argument to be had there about how military service is unjustly distributed. Same argument for women not being subject to the draft. But that isn't an argument about the justice of military service in general.

Communists and anarchists fought against fascism in the Spanish Civil War, and they continue to fight today in Ukraine against the same. I really don't see how Ukraine doing everything it can to fight off a genocidal imperialistic invasion can at all be mistaken for fascism.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That individual liberty to life is not free. It doesnt exist independent of any context. If no one defends your liberty, including yourself, you will find that you wont have any liberty when someone hostile comes knocking. A nation/tribe/social construct that refuses to actually act to protect its internally decided rules and freedom will lose that choice when someone comes to impose their ideas on you. And their ideas may not include any freedom.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The discussion of whether or not you are morally obligated to answer the call when your nation is attacked might be interesting, but its a bit off-topic unless we have some kind of relevant and Ukraine-specific development. The border has been (officially) closed to young men who wanted to leave quite a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
An interesting tidbit. Otherwise, today's DOD press brief didn't have much about Ukraine. There are only so many ways to ask "when will Ukraine get F-16s" and receive an answer of "Don't know yet" or ways to ask "Was defending Bakhmut worth it" and getting the answer of "Ask Ukraine, but Russia took a lot of casualties" in return.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/

quote:

GEN. RYDER: You know, look, as I mentioned before, we have been working very closely with our allies and partners to help Ukraine build up its combat power. They have nine mechanized armored brigades that we've provided, they have significant air defense capability. The entire world has come together to ensure that they have ammunition, and importantly, we're also providing training and we're working very closely with them on sustainment and logistics aspects.

So as they prepare to conduct counter-offensive operations, they have got a very strong hand and we're very confident that they have the combat capability that they'll need. And so again, our focus now is going to continue to be on providing them with the security assistance required to sustain and defend - sustain their fight and defend their country.

Q: And if I may on Belgorod, footage circulating on social media accounts about the units that attacked Belgorod showed what it - seems to be some Western and American-provided vehicles or weapons, to include Humvees and at least one MaxxPro MRAP. Is the DOD confident that none of the weapons provided to Ukraine were used on Russian territory? Thank you.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so we've seen those reports, something that we obviously continue to monitor very closely. I will say that we can confirm that the U.S. government has not approved any third party transfers of equipment to paramilitary organizations outside the Ukrainian Armed Forces, nor has the Ukrainian government requested any such transfers. So again, it's something we'll keep a close eye on. Thank you.

Let me go to Kasim.

Q: General, I will follow up on that. So if you haven't authorized the Ukrainian military to - to - to give the U.S.-provided armored vehicles to the groups associated with the military, then does that mean that there were some diversions of the - some of the equipment provided by the United States and found their ways into the hands of paramilitary groups that went into the Russian territories? And what - what's going to be the U.S. response if this - the footages are authentic?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, thanks, Kasim. So - so a couple of hypothetical questions there, right? Again, we're - it's something we're keeping a close eye on. As you know, the United States has communicated regularly with Ukraine that the security assistance that we're providing them is for them to use inside Ukraine as part of their efforts to defend their country and their sovereignty.

You know, I would tell you that when you see imagery like that - you know, again, something we'll look into - I don't know if it's true or not, in terms of the veracity of that imagery. I mean, you'll recall yesterday there were some bogus images of reported, alleged explosions at the Pentagon. So, you know, we just - all of us, both within the DOD and I'm sure in the journalism - journalistic community, have to take a look at these things and make sure we get the facts before we make assumptions.

Like I said, at this point in time, we have not authorized any transfer of equipment, they have not asked for transfer of equipment to so-called paramilitary organizations, and we've put in place some very strict protocols, in terms of end use monitoring, and have had good success working with our Ukrainian partners toward that end.

So again, we'll keep an eye on it, and just leave it there.

And this bit:

quote:

Q: Thank you, General. Regarding to F-16s, what assurances do you have from Ukraine that they will not use these F-16s to fire into Russia -- I mean, their territory, which could widen this war? Thank you.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah. I would just refer you back to the president's comments during his press briefing over the weekend, where he stated that President Zelenskyy assured him that these aircraft would be used within Ukraine. Thank you.