Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

What an absolutely absurd price. (since I'm comparing to using a VPN to buy Gamepass International, not against direcTV's price. :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Still no way to just get RedZone without subscribing to something first it looks like.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I usually pay for the sports package on YouTube tv during football season for Redzome but dropped them after they raised the price again while also cutting channels. I’m sportsurging everything now. This streaming poo poo is getting worse than the cable companies.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Roku is finally allowing the Basic (ad-supported) version of Disney Plus, not sure who caved but glad they got that sorted out!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is there any advantage to subscribing to streaming services independently vs. through another service like Amazon Prime? The cost is the same. I assumed I would be able still be able to view "channels" and shows in Prime since I subscribe to the other services but it seems like you need to subscribe through Prime.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 18, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Prime channels typically doesn't stream 4K HDR content for those channels from the prime app. That said, many of the services allow you to log into their own apps with Prime as the login provider and you can stream 4K HDR from there (for example, Showtime.)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Prime channels typically doesn't stream 4K HDR content for those channels from the prime app. That said, many of the services allow you to log into their own apps with Prime as the login provider and you can stream 4K HDR from there (for example, Showtime.)
Interesting, so I can (sometimes) use Prime to log into the other services, but there doesn't seem to be a way to enable the channels or shows in Prime if I'm already a subscriber to the service.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

Interesting, so I can (sometimes) use Prime to log into the other services, but there doesn't seem to be a way to enable the channels or shows in Prime if I'm already a subscriber to the service.

Correct. You can only stream through prime if the billing is through prime.

It's the same sort of relationship as Apple TV subscriptions.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

My cable + internet comes out to about $210 a month, and I've been meaning to do something about it for a long time. I'm pretty determined to take care of it this month or next. I'm on Xfinity.

I'm mulling the following: getting rid of the TV part of my internet + TV package, which would cut my cost down to about $90/month, or $70/month if they give me the introductory rate, but I don't think they'd be inclined to do that. With that $120 savings, I could get YouTube TV for something like $70, right? And I have an antenna. The reason I'm thinking YouTube TV in particular is I think I can later add NFL Redzone for not too much money once the season starts. Let me know if there's something else I should consider.

That's going to necessitate a device to replace my cable box, which I currently use for Netflix and other streaming apps. I'm wondering about different pieces of hardware and how well they run all the apps I'll use. Paramount+ runs like absolute poo poo on the cable box, and I assume any reasonably recent device will run it better. I'm thinking about maybe getting a Nintendo Switch. Does that support all of these apps and run them reasonably well? I ask because I have a PS3 and apps don't perform very well on it, possibly because they're not getting supported anymore since PS3 is so drat old. My TV is not an option - when I got it circa 2014 I tried Netflix on it and it ran so badly. I couldn't believe how lovely it was. They had to know when it was coming out of the factory that its hardware couldn't handle what it was ostensibly intended to do. Anyway, I want something that isn't like that, and if a Switch runs this stuff well, I'll go with that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The PS3 is ancient at this point and for all intents and purposes no longer supported, so no surprise there. The Switch is ancient hardware at this point so I have no idea how well streaming apps perform. In terms of apps, you'd also be severely limiting yourself. On Switch I see a YouTube app, but no Netflix, Paramount Plus, Disney+. You get the idea.

Get an Apple TV for way less than the cost of a Switch.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 21, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Also the Switch has next to no apps for streaming; no Netflix etc. Something like a used Xbox One S would be a decent buy instead if cheap enough, assuming no needs for the gaming side because the One S is a trash console for gaming (whereas the Series S is a pretty good one). It's got a good app support and stuff plays well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zat posted:

Also the Switch has next to no apps for streaming; no Netflix etc. Something like a used Xbox One S would be a decent buy instead if cheap enough, assuming no needs for the gaming side because the One S is a trash console for gaming (whereas the Series S is a pretty good one). It's got a good app support and stuff plays well.

That's true too. If they're dead set on a console for a set top box, the Series S is the way to go. MSRP is $300 but always go on sale for $250 or less.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get a Chromecast if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a 4k Chromecast TV (the one with the remote) just laying around. You can have it for a few bucks to cover the shipping!

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's true too. If they're dead set on a console for a set top box, the Series S is the way to go. MSRP is $300 but always go on sale for $250 or less.

Not dead set, but I was thinking about getting a Switch to play Zelda and I figured it would have lots of streaming apps available like my PS3 does. Guess not! Maybe I'll spring for a PS5 soon since it seems those have become pretty easily available now.

BonoMan posted:

I have a 4k Chromecast TV (the one with the remote) just laying around. You can have it for a few bucks to cover the shipping!

Really? Looks like they cost $50 new. If you PM me your venmo or paypal, I'll send you $25 to cover shipping and a little extra for your trouble.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Racing Stripe posted:

Not dead set, but I was thinking about getting a Switch to play Zelda and I figured it would have lots of streaming apps available like my PS3 does. Guess not! Maybe I'll spring for a PS5 soon since it seems those have become pretty easily available now.

Really? Looks like they cost $50 new. If you PM me your venmo or paypal, I'll send you $25 to cover shipping and a little extra for your trouble.

PM Sent!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Small detail, but YouTube TV is now $75/mo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
drat

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As I feared would happen, HBO Max update to Max took away content matching on AppleTV.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

content matching?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mine won’t even work. AT&T page still says HBO Max included and when I auth up it accepts and then just redirects to a page offering to sell me a subscription. I’m not surprised and care even less to be honest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just installed the Max app and I was already logged in and everything seems too be working fine.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I spent a while in a support chat with YouTubeTV because after I login to Max via YouTubeTV auth, Max then has no membership info and tells me I have to subscribe. Eventually the agent said there is a known issue they’re working on, but no ETA for a fix.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Wait, do I have to install a new app for this dumb HBO Max rebrand stuff?

loving stupid. The app says install new app. App store says app not available.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My dad has invited my sister and I to his family group on YouTube TV. Do we just give him money for the monthly bill, or does Google bill us separately?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Just give him money. I share with my brother and my sister shared with my dad (based on geographic restrictions).

That set up may not last long if the Netflix crackdown pays off.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I already gave him a $100 gift card for Netflix to wean him off my account. He's going on a two week road trip tomorrow but he'll set that up after he gets back.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hi thread, I just moved, and for the first time ever, I'm unable to connect my PC to my TV over HDMI. So, I'm trying to pick the right streaming device for my use cases. Aside from video games, this is what I use my TV for:

1. Netflix/Disney+/Crunchyroll
2. Youtube videos
3. Twitch streams
4. Video files from my PC, often subtitled

(If it matters, my PC is connected to my router via ethernet, so it will be on the same network as the streaming device but not on wifi.)

I assume the first three can be handled by their respective apps, while I could use Plex for the fourth. Although I suppose it would also be convenient to be able to cast Youtube and Twitch from my phone in the event that I already have the videos loaded there.

I'm currently looking at the Roku Streaming Stick 4K and Chromecast with Google TV, both discounted right now. I like that the Roku has a simpler, customizable interface and fewer ads, but the Chromecast might make life easier with casting support from my phone/browser/VLC/whatever. Do you guys generally recommend one of these over the other? Or is the best of both worlds to follow the directions on the previous page and use that open source Chromecast launcher?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Chromecast. If nothing else, you can use SmartTube Beta for YouTube to skip all the ads. Can’t do that with Roku. The Chromecast also feels snappier than the Roku to me.

I upgraded my parents from Roku to Chromecast and they have had no major issues. If that’s not saying something I don’t know what is.

Also, Kodi for your number 4 option.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Chromecast. If nothing else, you can use SmartTube Beta for YouTube to skip all the ads. Can’t do that with Roku. The Chromecast also feels snappier than the Roku to me.

I upgraded my parents from Roku to Chromecast and they have had no major issues. If that’s not saying something I don’t know what is.

Also, Kodi for your number 4 option.

Alright, thanks, Chromecast it is.

I haven't used Kodi before... is the idea that I'd install it on the Chromecast and play the video files using a network share? Or that I'd still run the Plex server on the PC and use Kodi as the client on the TV because it's nicer than the Plex client?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

runawayturtles posted:

Alright, thanks, Chromecast it is.

I haven't used Kodi before... is the idea that I'd install it on the Chromecast and play the video files using a network share? Or that I'd still run the Plex server on the PC and use Kodi as the client on the TV because it's nicer than the Plex client?

You could do it either way. I have all my movie files on a NAS shared out, and I just use Kodi to browse to them and find them. You could also use the Plex Android client if you wanted to instead of Kodi, I’ve just never used it before.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Plex Android client is fine. You load it on your phone, put phone and Chromecast on the same wifi network, tell it to cast to the TV, and you're done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the current Chromecast support Apple TV+ “natively” or would I need to stream it from my iPhone? I see promo pictures of it showing Ted Lasso so I guess so but it doesn’t explicitly say.

Does AirPlay from iOS/macOS to Chromecast work?

E: the current Chromecast being the white dongle with the remote for like $40. That’s what I see on target anyway.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the current Chromecast support Apple TV+ “natively” or would I need to stream it from my iPhone? I see promo pictures of it showing Ted Lasso so I guess so but it doesn’t explicitly say.

Does AirPlay from iOS/macOS to Chromecast work?

E: the current Chromecast being the white dongle with the remote for like $40. That’s what I see on target anyway.

Yeah, you just download the Apple TV app. The AirPlay I’m not sure about (my first thought I’d think no but again I’m not sure) but it does support casting from the Chrome browser.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 15, 2023

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
After 26 years, I finally ditched Dish Network. As expected, they didn't want to go without a fight. I called and tried to be direct and told the agent I wanted my account closed and didn't want to discuss it any further. His response was, "I know you said you didn't want to discuss it any further, but...". And then I said, "But you're going to discuss it anyway" and I hung up.

Called back and got another guy and was able to muscle my way through his attempts to keep me on as a customer. It took over 35 minutes.

I replaced Dish with Sling TV (ironic considering Dish uses Sling tech) and knocked off over 50% of the bill and I still have DVR functionality.

The only thing I'll miss are the three network shows I still watch (SNL, Simpsons, and Family Guy (don't start)) and those are usually available from, um, alternate sources (eventually, after the strike is over). I'll also miss Jeopardy, but that's usually on YouTube the same day.

I've had no luck with OTA antennas. but it's not a big enough deal to worry about.

The only thing about Sling TV I don't like so far is the clunky interface (on a Vizio TV). I'll figure it out soon enough, although having channel numbers and an onscreen keypad would be a vast improvement.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

After 26 years, I finally ditched Dish Network. As expected, they didn't want to go without a fight. I called and tried to be direct and told the agent I wanted my account closed and didn't want to discuss it any further. His response was, "I know you said you didn't want to discuss it any further, but...". And then I said, "But you're going to discuss it anyway" and I hung up.

Called back and got another guy and was able to muscle my way through his attempts to keep me on as a customer. It took over 35 minutes.

I replaced Dish with Sling TV (ironic considering Dish uses Sling tech) and knocked off over 50% of the bill and I still have DVR functionality.

The only thing I'll miss are the three network shows I still watch (SNL, Simpsons, and Family Guy (don't start)) and those are usually available from, um, alternate sources (eventually, after the strike is over). I'll also miss Jeopardy, but that's usually on YouTube the same day.

I've had no luck with OTA antennas. but it's not a big enough deal to worry about.

The only thing about Sling TV I don't like so far is the clunky interface (on a Vizio TV). I'll figure it out soon enough, although having channel numbers and an onscreen keypad would be a vast improvement.

I don't know which Sling package you have but according to their website, Blue includes NBC. Depending on what network affiliate airs Jeopardy in your area, it would also solve that issue.

Hulu would also solve your Simpsons and Family Guy problem.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know which Sling package you have but according to their website, Blue includes NBC. Depending on what network affiliate airs Jeopardy in your area, it would also solve that issue.

Hulu would also solve your Simpsons and Family Guy problem.

I got the Blue & Orange packages. As far as Hulu goes, I don't want to stack up a bunch of services that overlap channels.

Thanks

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My in-laws recently switched from DirecTV to Dish. They were delighted to see that their local CBS affiliate (WYOU, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton) is just as locked out on Dish as it was on DirecTV.

I am trying everything I can think of to help them get WYOU (broadcasting on legacy channel 12, supposed to come in digitally as 22.1) for Steelers games. Antenna #1 (ye olde Paper-Thin Leaf that I got for 5 bucks at Five Below years ago) pulled in eight channels, including some from the same distance and direction as WYOU (like WNEP), but not WYOU. Turns out that one is "UHF Optimized," which is its way of saying that it sucks at getting VHF frequencies.

My brother-in-law picked up another unpowered antenna, a $10 plastic block, without the "UHF Optimized" disclaimer. Same eight channels came in.

Turns out that they had gotten a Winegard Flatwave from DirecTV years ago, with a passthrough dongle to help them pull in those local channels under legal dispute. I unhooked the DirecTV dongle and plugged it in and carried it as far as I could. 13 channels this time... but five of them were apparently alternate versions of the eight that the others found. Still no WYOU.

The Samsung Smart TV in the other room got the same 8 channels with the Paper-Leaf antenna when I tried it on that a few weeks ago. Now that we have other antennas to try, I'm ready to give it a shot there... except that I can't get the TV's software to let me rescan. If it's on the HDMI input, the Broadcasting menu is turned off (as it should be). If it's on the Live TV input, both new antennas pick up the eight channels that the first one found, and Broadcasting is active, so it recognizes that there is a coax antenna attached... but the Auto Program option there (the one that rescans) is greyed out! I've tried power-cycling the TV and trying again, without luck.

Thoughts? It could certainly be that there's some particularly obstinate obstacle that's blocking the WYOU signal but not the others from the same direction and town. However, I don't want to keep investing in stronger antennas only to find that none of them get CBS, and football season is approaching.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The wiki page for the channel says some wind turbines mess with the transmission of the channel.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=56&f=1l56l2045l250l50l1l0lll1&r=r1rX6Vijh

See if any of those options would work if streaming is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Paramount Plus Essential (the base tier) looks like $5.99/mo and, according to what I'm reading, includes whatever CBS games that your local affiliate is carrying. How it decides what your local affiliate is, I'm not sure; maybe via your IP? But at least I could feed that into their Roku and Smart TV, and just cancel once the NFL season is over.

The Dish people swore up and down that "we'll get you your Steelers," so I'll have to see if they packaged Paramount in somehow.