Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should they make a Columbo video game?
Yes.
No.
Dependent on how much Dog is in it.
View Results

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

So the first game is "more sex but also more mystery", while the sequel is "less sex but also less mystery"?

The mystery in the first game isn't even very good imo. I could honestly skip past the sex scenes if I wasn't so underwhelmed by the actual game too. The serial killer seemed like an afterthought compared to the main teenaged love interest.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the final twist but you'll have to get through a lot of flashbacks to get there

Hmm, guess I'll save it for when I've got more time on my hands.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I want my detectives to either jerk off or get laid before starting the case. You can't find the missing person, stolen artifact, or real killer when you've got a vampiric boner in your briefs that's stealing the blood from your brain.

The same sentiment applies to fantasy writers.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 13, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Played a bit of disco Elysium and like... I feel kinda like an idiot since I spend 1 hr trying to get past the racist :(

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really should get back to Disco Elysium, but I'll need to start over at this point, and I'm just dreading it. That first day was.. not something I want to repeat...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Played a bit of disco Elysium and like... I feel kinda like an idiot since I spend 1 hr trying to get past the racist :(

Hit the gym

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also make sure you spin kick for your follow up

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Or just jump off a roof

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Finally playing Buried Stars and this is only my second exposure to Korean names and I can't keep the characters straight and oh god I feel so ignorant. :ohdear: I love, love, love the social media aspect of it; fake social media/websites in games (GTA series, those .hack games, etc) are a favorite of mine.

I had to take extensive notes for Analogue: A Hate Story; at least there's character portraits in Buried Stars.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

Finally playing Buried Stars and this is only my second exposure to Korean names and I can't keep the characters straight and oh god I feel so ignorant. :ohdear: I love, love, love the social media aspect of it; fake social media/websites in games (GTA series, those .hack games, etc) are a favorite of mine.

I had to take extensive notes for Analogue: A Hate Story; at least there's character portraits in Buried Stars.

I've had this on my wishlist for a long time, but never pulled the trigger. It sounds like you're positive about it, please let us know if it ends up impressing!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think gays and women that like gays would like it but if you're having problems with the Korean names, you're gonna become bonkers when the translation get worse and characters are getting called incorrectly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't have any recommendations to add to this thread but I did want to say I'm glad it exists.

Just played the Golden Idol DLC and loved it, definitely want more from them. I have Pentiment but haven't played it yet so I'm excited to get to that one soon.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The middle chapter in the Golden idol DLC was the first that was too contrived for me to ever figure out naturally. That eyehole doesn't look big enough to fit, much less 'throw' a glass vial through, wth. And it's not high enough that you'd expect the glass to shatter from tumbling down.Had to bruteforce that one at the end.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's weird but the bottle had a label outright saying what to do with it so :shrug:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Speak of the idol devil, Case of the Golden Idol was just announced as coming to Switch on May 25! :dance: Looking forward to playing it!

https://twitter.com/ColorGray7/status/1659202353906741249

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've got two obscure German (possible) secret gems for you.

A Bavarian Tale is, apparently, a "Bavarian Crime-RPG". I'll quote the recent Indie Showcase post that I've learned about this game from:

quote:

Wolpertshofen - A village that sits between idyll and a den of iniquity. In A Bavarian Tale: Totgeschwiegen, players are transported back to Bavaria in 1866 as the surveyor Valentin Schmidt. At first, Wolpertshofen seems like a peaceful, provincial village, but it soon becomes clear that appearances are deceiving. The idyllic village turns out to be a facade behind which a world full of dark secrets and inexplicable events are hidden. The residents are on-edge and a dark secret hovers over the community. Valentin must figure out who he can trust, who will lead him on a false trail, and be able to protect himself from those who want to stop him from completing his job, with force...

Story and gameplay go hand-in-hand. Players are completely free to decide which skills they want to level up. These are used in the classic pen&paper manner via skill checks. With the role of the detective, the goal is to find hidden clues and collect useful evidence that will help to progress the story. Within the story of A Bavarian Tale: Totgeschwiegen, tricky decisions must also be made and can affect the outcome of the investigation, one way or another. The challenges Valentin must face can be approached in different ways. Does he use his charm during an interrogation? Does he possibly try to find a diplomatic approach to get the information? Or does he simply let evidence slip away on the sly? In a tricky situation, Valentin can also defend himself against adversaries with his strength... Or he decides to flee.

The Bavarian flair - is also present in the dialogues. Not only is the setting of A Bavarian Tale: Totgeschwiegen based in Bavaria, it exudes genuine Bavarian charm. The characters are also played by real Bavarians - and of course, the dialect isn’t missing. Besides the original Bavarian voice, there is also the option to switch to English with a Bavarian accent. But don't worry - subtitles are of course also included - both in German and English.

The most important features at one glance:

Historical crime RPG from the 3rd-person perspective
    Action takes place in the Upper Bavarian State village of Wolpertshofen in 1866
    Skills can be improved freely and are used in pen & paper style
    Decisions have influence on the outcome of the story
    Complete voice output in Bavarian and English
    German and English subtitles
    Play time: Approx. 10 hours
    11 different endings

Looks like extreme eurojank, so I've been waiting for a discount (and a few more patches) to bite the bullet and buy it, but the reviews are actually good and I've had a good run of playing ambitious eurojank that looks like crap but is actually great recently.

A second game I'd like to highlight is Casebook 1899. It's pretty much a Crimes and Punishments-style detective game, but made in AGS. It's been Kickstarted recently and it's not out yet, but the demo is available and I actually really enjoyed it! Wishlist it maybe, if you do too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh drat, those both look potentially pretty cool, I need to get around to trying out that demo. I downloaded another mystery game demo recently I haven't gotten around to yet, something called Death Trick: Double Blind that is suppose to be a bit of an ace attorney thing but circus theme.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh drat, those both look potentially pretty cool, I need to get around to trying out that demo. I downloaded another mystery game demo recently I haven't gotten around to yet, something called Death Trick: Double Blind that is suppose to be a bit of an ace attorney thing but circus theme.

*Flashbacks to the terrible circus case in Phoenix Wright*

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Circuses are just bad places to set mysteries full stop. The one in AAI2 drags down a case that's not even supposed to be related to the circus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You know Columbo never had a circus episode now that I think about it. I guess there is that one time where Steven Spielberg hallucinate him as a ring master but that shouldn't really count.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Sam and Max disagrees!

(although only part of it's set at the circus. I will hear no words there not in detective games thought. Sam and Max are the best detectives there is and that's all there is to it. :colbert:)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Circuses are just bad places to set mysteries full stop. The one in AAI2 drags down a case that's not even supposed to be related to the circus.
i feel like the AA2 case being bad has to do with the characters of the case and not the setting

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's kind of maligned for a lot of reasons. The greater one is that at that point in the game you really just want to find out what happened to Edgeworth and the main plot, but first you have to get through this filler case at this circus filled with the most annoying witnesses on earth.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

I downloaded another mystery game demo recently I haven't gotten around to yet, something called Death Trick: Double Blind that is suppose to be a bit of an ace attorney thing but circus theme.

Just finished this. Does a similar thing to Aviary Attorney where you have set amount of actions. Asking any question, presenting a contradiction, or investigating an area (luckily this just means the whole area, not each individual hotspot) or moving to a new one takes up action. The interesting bit to this is after you use all five points you switched to the other player character, so your time is split between a detective and magician. Once both characters take their turns time progresses a hour. So there is a ticking clock aspect because the circus is leaving that night.

That being said the writing is pretty amateurish, though fortunately not abrasive. Don't really see this being one I pick up for the full version.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 23, 2023

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the clarification on Misericorde and kinetic novels, everyone. Did end up giving the demo a try over the weekend but it’s not my style, ah well

Did however play through Unheard: Voices of Crime. It’s a short experience, one, maybe two evenings at most, but it does deliver on a fairly interesting mechanic. The premise is that you’re an ‘acoustic detective’, able to eavesdrop on conversations in a building while a ten-to-twenty minute drama plays out, with the goal being to figure out who was involved and what happened in the time leading up to some climactic event - a kind of auditory Case of the Golden Idol, if you will. There’s four proper cases in addition to a short tutorial and epilogue, plus another fairly involved free DLC case. There’s one more paid one on top of those but it’s currently in mandarin only with no plans to translate.

Localisation is surprisingly quite good - the developers clearly invested a fair amount into competent voice acting and I had little difficulty playing in English.

Dragging the game down somewhat is a poor portrayal of mental illness in the fifth case and a metaplot that suggests the player’s avatar is being gaslit by the technology which honestly doesn’t add much to the game and would probably have been better left out in favour of leaving the cases in a vacuum. Still, it’s not too hard to tune it out and focus on the puzzles at hand.

Still, it’s a good time and not very expensive for a couple of nights’ entertainment. Definitely an enjoyable one if you’re looking for something in the vein of Case of the Golden Idol

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oh, man, how did I miss this thread's existence for so long?

So I'll add in for the record a classic game, and by classic, I mean wonderful at the time and only vaguely playable now:

Murder on the Zinderneuf was the game that enthralled me as a kid. Play one of 9 different detectives, each a sly parody of a famous sleuth (including Humboldt Hause, Lieutenant Cinncinatom, and Miss Agatha Marbles. I still have no idea who Charity Flaire is supposed to represent). You're on a zeppelin and shortly after you left Berlin, a passenger was forcibly ejected and you have to figure out who did it and why before you land in New York. Wonderful 1980s joystick gaming: search rooms by waggling around in them! Interview suspects by chasing them down hallways and waggling over them! Make your final accusation by chasing down the accused and waggling over them!

So, yeah, the interface is terribly lacking especially in modern times, but what makes it such an amazing game to me is how great the writing was and how good the mechanics were, especially for a game released in 1983. Each detective is actually different - some of them are better at getting more clues from talking to people, and some of them get better and more detailed clues from searching rooms. In addition, each detective had multiple ways to approach a conversation, which determined how many times that person would talk to you before getting fed up; you had to experiment with different approaches and multiple interviews to get all of the information out of a person. With 15 people on the ship to interview (and being able to ask about any of the other 15) and 16 rooms to search, the time limit was absolutely a factor.

Best of all, the mystery was proceduraly generated. The game had about twenty potential motives for a person to kill another, and the game writers (including Paul Reiche, who did Star Control II) made sure that characters had distinctive ways to talk about the plots to keep the characters and the situations fresh. So when you started a new game, a random passenger would be dead, a random murderer and motive would be assigned, and maybe three other potential motives would have some red herrings mixed in to keep you on your toes.

It's abandonware these days, but if you decide that's your thing, check out the C-64 version where the graphics are the cleanest. The IBM version is just hard to parse, visually.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Murder on the Zinderneuf was the game that enthralled me as a kid. Play one of 9 different detectives, each a sly parody of a famous sleuth (including Humboldt Hause, Lieutenant Cinncinatom, and Miss Agatha Marbles. I still have no idea who Charity Flaire is supposed to represent).

Murder on the Zinderneuf manual posted:

CHARITY FLAIRE, a war orphan of uncertain parentage, built The Web, the largest smuggling network in post-war Europe. Since her "retirement" in 1933 with a fortune estimated at over half a million pounds sterling, Miss Flaire's hobbies have included crime prevention and counterespionage for His Majesty's government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_Blaise

quote:

In 1945, a nameless girl escapes from a displaced person (DP) camp in Kalyros, Greece. She remembers nothing from her short past and wanders through post-World War II Mediterranean, the Middle East, and regions of North Africa, where she learns to survive the hard way.
[...]In 1953, she takes control of a criminal gang in Tangier from Henri Louche and expands it into an international organization called the Network.
[...]Having made a point of not dealing in secrets belonging to H.M. government, when she feels she has made enough money, she retires and moves to England and Willie Garvin follows suit. Bored by their new lives among the idle rich, they accept a request for assistance from Sir Gerald Tarrant, a high-ranking official of the British Secret Service. This is where the story really begins

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

OMG, I even remember reading some of those when they were posted in the Newspaper Comic Strips. I never made the connection. Thank you so much!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Doukeshi Satsujin Jiken "Meurtre d'un Clown" is a Japan-only parser-based murder mystery text adventure for Japanese computers (with some graphics, a-la pre-King's Quest Sierra games). It's completely set in a circus. It also has the weird distinction of having a *full remake* for the Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn that turns it into a first-person 3D game but is otherwise completely faithful to the original.

It's ok.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Has the "Crimson Diamond" been mentioned here? It's an EGA-color'd, Laura Bow-inspired adventure game. The developer occasionally streams on Twitch/Youtube

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IqRB2LCEc

https://www.thecrimsondiamond.com/

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Modesty Blair's was that book Vincent Vega was reading in the toilet.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Switzerland posted:

Has the "Crimson Diamond" been mentioned here? It's an EGA-color'd, Laura Bow-inspired adventure game. The developer occasionally streams on Twitch/Youtube

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IqRB2LCEc

https://www.thecrimsondiamond.com/

Might be worth mentioning that it's a game in development - the demo has been updated several times over the years but I don't think there's even a guess of when it might be completed, afaik.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This looks at least interesting a horror language deciphering mystery game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2423320/Homicipher_Prologue/

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

orenronen posted:

Doukeshi Satsujin Jiken "Meurtre d'un Clown" is a Japan-only parser-based murder mystery text adventure for Japanese computers (with some graphics, a-la pre-King's Quest Sierra games). It's completely set in a circus. It also has the weird distinction of having a *full remake* for the Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn that turns it into a first-person 3D game but is otherwise completely faithful to the original.

It's ok.

Auguste Rodin's The Clowner

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

fez_machine posted:

This looks at least interesting a horror language deciphering mystery game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2423320/Homicipher_Prologue/

Interesting concept but the demo is too short to get a handle on what the gameplay will be like. It also seems like a game that needs a really good translation to work properly.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Modesty Blair's was that book Vincent Vega was reading in the toilet.

Amazing if you knew this off the top of your head

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I started playing Immortality and it's kind of interesting so far but the game hasn't really explained what it is that I'm looking for. So far I'm just looking for as many of the weird backwards scenes as possible. Is it going to get more apparent at some point?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nephthys posted:

So I started playing Immortality and it's kind of interesting so far but the game hasn't really explained what it is that I'm looking for. So far I'm just looking for as many of the weird backwards scenes as possible. Is it going to get more apparent at some point?

Just keep doing that but if you're not enjoying it then stop. It's a vibe/atmosphere game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1668382294174994432?cxt=HHwWgMDQne22pKcuAAAA

:dance:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a great day for mystery gamers 🫡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

5 & 6 are very good. 4 is, fine, and the HD drawings for this remake look pretty decent