Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

No bitches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Couldn't find an answer with a quick search so am asking here: is there a way to see the entire turn order in combat? I can see the next 5 or 6 characters in the bottom right, but there are times where I'd like a more complete picture to plan some moves, and choosing to delay the current character's turn isn't always the same.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It’s not the simplest solution but if you hover over one of your characters or one of the enemies it will tell you in how many turns they act. Guess it won’t work if the enemy is in fog of war, though.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Found myself in a village terrorised by Unholds. Had never met any and had no idea what to expect, but the 3 skulls contract made it sound ominous. Went ahead because there were 2630 crowns on the table. Explored a bit, and spotted the beasts: haha, only 4 of them and there's 12 of us! :getin:

OMGWTF :frogout:

Ah well, that was a win in the end, and with no deaths. One of my starting bros lost some fingers, which is a lot less worse than dying, and it's not going to impact that much his crossbow sniping. That was totally my fault too: he was on 1hp 2 tiles from the last Unhold, and I reloaded the crossbow, intending to make him move back to avoid a charge. Didn't count on fatigue being too high to move back after the reload, and there's no undo... Of course, the Unhold did the charge move and "killed" my bro, or so it seemed at the time.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 25, 2023

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
The Black Company books are low fantasy not in that there isn't magic or that it isn't insanely powerful, it's that the PoV characters don't really have access to it or understand what is going on

They are solid 8/10 light reads IMO, and obviously the tone is a major, major influence on Battle Brothers

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

rideANDxORdie posted:

The Black Company books are low fantasy not in that there isn't magic or that it isn't insanely powerful, it's that the PoV characters don't really have access to it or understand what is going on

They are solid 8/10 light reads IMO, and obviously the tone is a major, major influence on Battle Brothers

And they were a huge influence on the early Bungie games Myth: the Fallen Lords and Myth: Soulblighter.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I bought this game last week and started the tutorial run but didn't really get anywhere. Over the weekend I fired it up and ended up going to bed at 3:30am which is unbelievably late for me. Game is good. The battle system is extremely well thought out and I'm just scratching the surface.

Its also a bit strange, though encouraging, to see this thread full of people talking about Myth, which is one of my all time favourite franchises. I even started to LAN party Myth 2 with some pals these past few months, mostly doing coop single player. Fun stuff.

Anyway, what are the recommended DLCs and mods? I'm especially keen on any that make the map-world deeper. So things like a more elaborate economy, diplomacy, that sort of thing. More ways of interacting with the game other than just the battles.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The game is all about the battles really, none of the DLCs change that much. One of them adds crafting I guess? There's also one or two new company origins that start off hostile with certain factions but nothing that changes the diplomacy system at all.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah, if you fall in love with the main game, the DLC just adds more content in different directions.

As far as mods go, there are some quality of life ones worth considering out of the gate such as the speed up mods. Once you have experienced everything the game has to offer and you're satisfied, the legends mod is close to a total rework and has some level of integration with a big perk overhaul mod. Both of these together completely change the way the game plays without changing core mechanics. Well worth a try in my opinion.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If anything, i'd say basically all of the DLC's just make the game harder.

They also make finding regular direwolves to fight a pain in the rear end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think all the DLCs make the game better but to varying degrees. Beast and Exploration is definitely the weakest and some of the enemies it adds are so annoying to fight that I just avoid them, but it adds other stuff that's fun and makes the map bigger and more varied.

The only mod I play with is one that lets your bros keep levelling better after they hit the vanilla cap of level 11, because I like playing into the postgame and making crazy overpowered warriors. When I get bored of the game I just set it aside for six months and then come back and play a new campaign from the beginning.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
After ~37h, the Blackbirbs have successfully navigated the local politics to tip the scales in the noble war, allowing me to retire. Considering the many many warnings about the difficulty of the game, it wasn't that bad apart from the first few hours scrounging for money and having no clue what was/wasn't doable. A bit of equipment and a few xp levels later for some spearmen and things got a lot smoother, though I took it safe, rarely extending myself to 3 skulls contracts and late game making sure I circled well away from enemy house armies numbering in the 20s. My three starting bros survived, though the crossbowman is now missing a finger (after meeting an Unhold from too close) and the axeman has been known as Rupert One-Knee for most of the campaign after an early incident. His melee defense tanked and his melee attack reduced, but he was still serviceable as a reserve axeman to rotate through injuries in the roster. MVPs were by far the hedge knights, really pulling their weights, whether it was Sigurd Hedgelord and his 2-handed sword slicing through necks or Edmund Mancrusher with his giant hammer and his dog. Edmund releasing the hound to stop a fleeing crossbowman or drummer before slowly walking up to deliver the final blow became a regular sight.

Didn't lose that many bros in the end, and the rough start made me think it'd be a lot worse:

Alrik, Egon, hildebert and Gunnar were all part of my early days and learning curve. After that, Rupert got his knee broken, but things looked up until Emmerich, my flail man then, died. Some luck then saw no deaths for a long while, though multiple permanent injuries occured, none of them all that crippling, so I kept people in the line or reserve. I had to dismiss a bro with pay though, after he took far too much of a beating to be of any use. And much later, Ewald died, my little beggar who became bannerman. Ripped into pieces after I hunted a giant pack of Nachzehrer, when he should have been safe behind. Can't remember the details but that probably could have been avoided, Nachzehrer aren't that bad. That was a sad moment for everyone. This was followed by the death during the noble war of Erik the Butcher (literally was a butcher before joining), another long serving bro. Not sure what the exact context was but I was in a big line battle against armoured enemies from the opposing house, and the brave shield/spear which had been a wall for 107 days finally fell. I'd like to say that Barkud, the final member to die, was a sad moment too, but meh. He was a promising nomad recruit, but never really pulling his weight with the swordlance I gifted him, and was already missing an eye. He died when I attacked a 9-strong barbarian patrol, thinking it was going to be easy, but they turned out to have a pet Unhold (serious WTF moment there) which pushed through the lines and ended up killing him while Sigurd Hedgelord was pushing through to the beastmaster (and finishing the fight on 3HP).

A notable fight was an ambush by mercenaries when requisitioning food for the armies. I made it to the pig farm in the middle of the night, and before I knew it, I got jumped. In the dark, some lowly thugs showed up, and one fancy-armoured mercenary. Assuming an easy fight, I prepared a dagger squad to move to him to the north. This left me exposed on the south side where nothing had shown yet, only for a Hedge Knight to come running with a two-hander... Thankfully, their low initiative means that both Edmund and Sigurd, my pet knights, hadn't moved yet, and they managed to take care of him, with some assistance from a poacher throwing a net on the knight once he made it into melee.

That was a lot of fun. Not sure what I'll do now, I'm half-way between continuing from the last save and exploring the wilds, trying some fights I wouldn't try if playing seriously, or restarting with a different origin and possibly upping the difficulty from my current beginner/beginner.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

That was a lot of fun. Not sure what I'll do now, I'm half-way between continuing from the last save and exploring the wilds, trying some fights I wouldn't try if playing seriously, or restarting with a different origin and possibly upping the difficulty from my current beginner/beginner.

There are a bunch of challenging end game battles hidden around the wilderness, you could try those. Look for the Black Monolith, the Goblin City, and some other newer unique locations whose names I forget

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Wafflecopper posted:

There are a bunch of challenging end game battles hidden around the wilderness, you could try those. Look for the Black Monolith, the Goblin City, and some other newer unique locations whose names I forget

Yeah, I read enough about this to know that they exist, though I didn't look at what it actually looks like inside since I'd rather experience it blind first. Don't think I like the sound of Goblin City much already, because gently caress those poison arrow snipers. :catstare:

I found a watermill too, which I think is possibly a legendary location? That was a while ago when crossing through the wild between north and south sections of the map, and iirc, there was only one guy telling me I wasn't fit to pull out the sword, and some story about another guy, possibly his son, having gone to slay some beast but never returned. I left it at that then because it sounded too high level for my ragtag, but I'll go check on it again I think.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would legitimately back up your save if you're playing on ironman before going into those locations for the first time.

I think i've yet to do a single one of those fights without losing most if not all of my company and needing to reload. The swamp monster especially.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FishMcCool posted:

After ~37h, the Blackbirbs have successfully navigated the local politics to tip the scales in the noble war, allowing me to retire. Considering the many many warnings about the difficulty of the game, it wasn't that bad apart from the first few hours scrounging for money and having no clue what was/wasn't doable. A bit of equipment and a few xp levels later for some spearmen and things got a lot smoother, though I took it safe, rarely extending myself to 3 skulls contracts and late game making sure I circled well away from enemy house armies numbering in the 20s. My three starting bros survived, though the crossbowman is now missing a finger (after meeting an Unhold from too close) and the axeman has been known as Rupert One-Knee for most of the campaign after an early incident. His melee defense tanked and his melee attack reduced, but he was still serviceable as a reserve axeman to rotate through injuries in the roster. MVPs were by far the hedge knights, really pulling their weights, whether it was Sigurd Hedgelord and his 2-handed sword slicing through necks or Edmund Mancrusher with his giant hammer and his dog. Edmund releasing the hound to stop a fleeing crossbowman or drummer before slowly walking up to deliver the final blow became a regular sight.

Didn't lose that many bros in the end, and the rough start made me think it'd be a lot worse:

Alrik, Egon, hildebert and Gunnar were all part of my early days and learning curve. After that, Rupert got his knee broken, but things looked up until Emmerich, my flail man then, died. Some luck then saw no deaths for a long while, though multiple permanent injuries occured, none of them all that crippling, so I kept people in the line or reserve. I had to dismiss a bro with pay though, after he took far too much of a beating to be of any use. And much later, Ewald died, my little beggar who became bannerman. Ripped into pieces after I hunted a giant pack of Nachzehrer, when he should have been safe behind. Can't remember the details but that probably could have been avoided, Nachzehrer aren't that bad. That was a sad moment for everyone. This was followed by the death during the noble war of Erik the Butcher (literally was a butcher before joining), another long serving bro. Not sure what the exact context was but I was in a big line battle against armoured enemies from the opposing house, and the brave shield/spear which had been a wall for 107 days finally fell. I'd like to say that Barkud, the final member to die, was a sad moment too, but meh. He was a promising nomad recruit, but never really pulling his weight with the swordlance I gifted him, and was already missing an eye. He died when I attacked a 9-strong barbarian patrol, thinking it was going to be easy, but they turned out to have a pet Unhold (serious WTF moment there) which pushed through the lines and ended up killing him while Sigurd Hedgelord was pushing through to the beastmaster (and finishing the fight on 3HP).

A notable fight was an ambush by mercenaries when requisitioning food for the armies. I made it to the pig farm in the middle of the night, and before I knew it, I got jumped. In the dark, some lowly thugs showed up, and one fancy-armoured mercenary. Assuming an easy fight, I prepared a dagger squad to move to him to the north. This left me exposed on the south side where nothing had shown yet, only for a Hedge Knight to come running with a two-hander... Thankfully, their low initiative means that both Edmund and Sigurd, my pet knights, hadn't moved yet, and they managed to take care of him, with some assistance from a poacher throwing a net on the knight once he made it into melee.

getting through the first crisis is the beginning of the endgame, like hitting level cap in an MMO. Much of the content is yet to come. For starters the game will cycle through the rest of the crisis options, then there’s all the powerful gear and enemies and difficult locations

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Guess I'll take a look around and see what happens, it can only be educational. And no, I'm not playing this one in ironman mode, although I try to mostly roll with the blows. This is baby's first company, for me to get a grasp of what the game is like, so the safety net is very much welcome. Such as that time early on when I forgot to loot equipment after a bloody encounter. That was an instant reload and auto-loot is permanently ticked in my preferences now.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Count Roland posted:

Its also a bit strange, though encouraging, to see this thread full of people talking about Myth, which is one of my all time favourite franchises. I even started to LAN party Myth 2 with some pals these past few months, mostly doing coop single player. Fun stuff.

Myth was a masterpiece of design and execution. What Bungie did with the technology available at the time was remarkable and I would think just a straight-up modernization of the game would be as great today as it was then. But a couple of developers have tried and just didn't get enough traction.

Battle Brothers is a great game too, and I've put a lot of hours into it. I think the way the games are similar - beyond the "band of mercenaries" theme - is how each element of both games add up to a cohesive, addictive whole.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Day 168 and I'm casually wiping orc/nomad camps while exploring the wilds to discover those unique places. Found a big empty tower, a cool giant statue, and then a sunken library...

Well, I wasn't ready for that one at all. Managed to contain the undead while the hedge knights made a push to the Lorekeeper and took him out, but as the mention of philacteries in the flavour text before hinted, that thing is a Lich which just resurrected... Thought i'd just explore the battle map some more before calling it a day and found more philacteries all over the place, some of them on tall blocks that I can't even melee. All that while everything else rezzes, flying skull appear all over the place and explode on my bros, and the Lich spams toxic clouds on my holding team which inevitably dies after a while. Gave the order to flee and 3 bros managed to make it out. Ah well, that'll just be a reload and a place I'm not revisiting anytime soon.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah that one and one other specific location require foreknowledge and preparation. Even with that, they are tough fights. The one grace is that they don't scale, so you can take your day 300 ultra veterans in and it will be the same fight.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yeah that one and one other specific location require foreknowledge and preparation. Even with that, they are tough fights. The one grace is that they don't scale, so you can take your day 300 ultra veterans in and it will be the same fight.

This is one of the things that puzzles me about the game Devs, who apparently want everyone to play ironman all the time. But not only is pretty much every special enemy in the game a party wipe until you learn their properties and the counter-tactics, you have endgame encounters like that or the Kraken which would absolutely 100% wipe out any company unless they have extensively researched how it works.

It took me at least 5 serious tries, IE after reading a guide, to beat the sunken library and that was with a good post-crisis oathtakers squad with the anti-undead vow up. It's better to read a proper guide yourself, but the gist was kill the honour guard with some guys, don't bother attacking the lorekeeper, send other guys around to find and kill phylacteries. They will need throwing weapons to do this efficiently cause the lorekeeper can elevate some of the phylacteries 2 tiles up, making them safe from melee. Once all the phylacteries are broken the lorekeeper can be killed and will stay dead. As they get busted he starts to summon simulacrums of himself that can also cast bullshit spells. So I think some people find all the phylacteries and position next to them first, then try and break them all at once. It's key to finish the fight asap because the summoned skulls will keep appearing and honour guard resurrecting. As with many big fights, potions and disposable dogs help.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Regardless of what the devs think, the game isn't that fun in Ironman. Pretty much everyone I see streaming Ironman campaigns abuses alt-F4 to save scum fights etc. I wouldn't really recommend Ironman for Battle Brothers at all, though I do think beginner players should avoid savescumming and just take a few campaign losses while they learn the ropes.

A BattleBros campaign is not as pliable as say an XCOM2 one. In XCOM Ironman, you can lose a mission and a full squad of veteran soldiers and there is still a decent chance your campaign is salvageable. I don't feel the same way about Battle Brothers at all. In about 1,000 hours of BBros played I've maybe done 1/10 of it attempting Ironman and just did not find it fun or challenging in a stimulating way at all

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Haven't tried Ironman yet, but I can feel the appeal of it. It's just not something I want to do first to discover the game.

Anyhow, having abandoned the sunken library, I kept exploring and went back to the watermill. The old guy still wants me to kill a beast but I still have no clue where it is. Dunked on a few goblin camps afterwards, then found the goblin city! And now I need to burn down some more goblin camps before gaining entry. Hope the ones I burned before count as part of the 5 or I won't have enough of them left. But after burning the nearest one, war erupted between the north and south, so I might put the goblins on hold and go play with the crisis. Siding with the south is supposed to be easier apparently and if it pits me against noble house style armies, it'll give me more chances of scoring cool heavy armour suits, so that's likely going to be the way forward. It'll likely be expensive as southern cities are dear af for supplies, but ah, gold is no longer a problem by now.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I agree. XCOM also has the difference of allowing you only a limited degree of selectiveness in your fights. You can pick the easier missions and be willing to abort, but the terror missions are still gonna roll around and in general you will be placed in challenging situations no matter how cagey you're trying to play. This is good, because the challenging fights are generally the most interesting and engaging.

Battle Brothers doesn't put you in the same spot, or at least not with anything like the same frequency. If you see a fight that looks like it might be real trouble, you can and probably should avoid it on Ironman because any individual fight is ultimately optional and losses are such serious setbacks. This encourages are conservative style of play that misses out on the fights that would ordinarily be the most fun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

rideANDxORdie posted:

Regardless of what the devs think, the game isn't that fun in Ironman. Pretty much everyone I see streaming Ironman campaigns abuses alt-F4 to save scum fights etc. I wouldn't really recommend Ironman for Battle Brothers at all, though I do think beginner players should avoid savescumming and just take a few campaign losses while they learn the ropes.

A BattleBros campaign is not as pliable as say an XCOM2 one. In XCOM Ironman, you can lose a mission and a full squad of veteran soldiers and there is still a decent chance your campaign is salvageable. I don't feel the same way about Battle Brothers at all. In about 1,000 hours of BBros played I've maybe done 1/10 of it attempting Ironman and just did not find it fun or challenging in a stimulating way at all

Huh, pretty much every streamer I've watched play this never savescums on ironman, but most of the ones I watch have played for a while, so I guess they're used to it going sideways sometimes.
Also, it's valuable to learn when to retreat.

Anyway, I love this game sometimes:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's an enemy mashup you don't see every day:

Turns out Alps are not friends of ancient dead, and they absolutely destroy them since NPCs can't wake each other up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One of the funnier matchups I've made is training a big group of unholds into a bunch of barbarian chosen. You know, for supposedly being able to capture and tame unholds, they're really bad at fighting them and it's really funny to watch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Anyway, I love this game sometimes:

Hah! Of course - one measly hit and a bloody zombie comes back at the end of turn. Typical! :D (I really should get back into BB, at some point...)

Fabricated posted:

One of the funnier matchups I've made is training a big group of unholds into a bunch of barbarian chosen. You know, for supposedly being able to capture and tame unholds, they're really bad at fighting them and it's really funny to watch.

Yeah but you see, they're used to doing it on their own terms. Your company being there watching the process just puts them off their game entirely. I mean geez, who enjoys having people look over their shoulder while they work? :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fabricated posted:

i mean, i can play fetch with a dog, but i wouldn't want to seriously fight one

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

In all my hours playing this game, I think this is the first time I've seen a geist only roaming pack.
Even has its own overworld sprite.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I've seen small groups but never just a lone gheist on its own.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Also, finally finished off all the remaining legendary locations I always put off while playing, mainly the sunken library and the black monolith, since I rarely play my companies past 150 days before getting bored. Now all I need to do is make a potion of oblivion, and I've 100% this game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still need to figure out how to do the sunken library without having to savescum 80 times. I don't build companies suited for that event, apparently.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It really wasn't as bad as I had expected, even though I didn't go for the "Destroy all the phylacteries in one turn" strategy. I just kinda fanned out my backliners to hunt them down once the frontline fell, and my melee bros held the lorekeeper down.
Though I really wouldn't want to do this fight without pathfinder on everyone.

Edit: If I were to change something for the next time I fight it, I might actually bring more backliners than frontliners, if they can handle the initial rush. Having 2+-range characters to safely take out the skull spam seems super valuable.

Edit2: Man, I don't think I've seen a legendary ranged bow/crossbow that wasn't goblin stuff for like 100+ hours.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 12, 2023

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I tried the sunken library one time only. I thought I was doing pretty well, but then I simply couldn't reach the phylacteries because they were up on pillars, and eventually all my guys died. I think that was the last time I played the game actually.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There is definitely a puzzle aspect to it, but I think it’s the easiest of the big boss locations and you can do it around the time of the first crisis if you push yourself

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I tried the sunken library one time only. I thought I was doing pretty well, but then I simply couldn't reach the phylacteries because they were up on pillars, and eventually all my guys died. I think that was the last time I played the game actually.

I haven't done it in ages but iirc the ones up on pillars will come down to ground level if you destroy the ones that are already on the ground.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

vyelkin posted:

I haven't done it in ages but iirc the ones up on pillars will come down to ground level if you destroy the ones that are already on the ground.

Good to know. I really enjoy this game until it becomes like this. I also just avoid lindwurms because I don't have the patience and/or intelligence to set up some kind of perfect turn order or whatever is required.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The lorekeeper will use an ability every other turn that moves urns (and himself) up or down, so if you just wait around, the elevated urns will come down eventually. You can also hit them with throwing weapons.
Once you beat down his army, there's also no "real" enemies around on the rest of the level, so backliners can move relatively freely, Just don't underestimate the skulls, they can do a ton of unblockable damage if they bumrush you.

The Lord Bude posted:

There is definitely a puzzle aspect to it, but I think it’s the easiest of the big boss locations and you can do it around the time of the first crisis if you push yourself

I feel that taking the fight early, especially on ironman, can be a bit risky, things can go sideways quick. Especially since you can actually miss the urns with a well timed 5% roll.
Do you have a video of someone doing it before day 100?

Edit: I also did not bring any dogs, but I've seen some guides say that dogs, especially with armor, can make a huge difference in this fight.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

The lorekeeper will use an ability every other turn that moves urns (and himself) up or down, so if you just wait around, the elevated urns will come down eventually. You can also hit them with throwing weapons.
Once you beat down his army, there's also no "real" enemies around on the rest of the level, so backliners can move relatively freely, Just don't underestimate the skulls, they can do a ton of unblockable damage if they bumrush you.

I feel that taking the fight early, especially on ironman, can be a bit risky, things can go sideways quick. Especially since you can actually miss the urns with a well timed 5% roll.
Do you have a video of someone doing it before day 100?

Edit: I also did not bring any dogs, but I've seen some guides say that dogs, especially with armor, can make a huge difference in this fight.

I didn’t realise you were playing Ironman. It’s not something I’ve ever had any interest in, so I’ve never really considered Ironman strats.