Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

“Previously brined for your convenience” not “previous to the brining process”.

This is what my brain was thinking. To this point precooked frozen meals. Or pre cooked bacon. What ever I'm making pastrami. English is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Soak the corned beef in water for 3 or 4 hours before smoking to remove some of the salt otherwise youll be drinkin water all night. Give it a decent peppercorn rub and smoke for a while. Pastrami traditionally finished in the oven by steaming in a covered roasting pan. Not really lookin for a strong bark here so you dont need to smoke forever.

Sides...uhm egg salad, potato salad, kraut...i like to warm up some on the stove top with a bunch of caraway seeds, a decent rye bread, you could smoke some cream cheese. That goes with almost anything. Pickles. Deli stuff.

Good luck!

E: brined and cured brisket is corned beef. Itll have the distinctive red color due to sodium nitrates and nitrites. Pastrami is smoked corned beef. I suppose you could brine a brisket without curing it, but why? A decent salt and pepper rub would achieve the same thing.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 20, 2023

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

YOLOing my first brisket on my gravity. I watched too many videos talking about Goldies not wrapping at all except to hold so I decided to just toss it in and go with god. At 12 hours and just hitting 170 and realizing I should have started this at 10pm instead of midnight. I'm also going to end up using like two bags of charcoal so I'm gonna buy that vent cover mod immediately. Looks great tho other than my trim job

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wanted a gravity so bad but they didn't make one big enoutfor.me to put out a full spread

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I live next to an elementary school and every spring they assess the trees on their property and chop down anything that's sick and at risk of falling.

This year they took down 4 mid sized maple trees within spitting distance of my back fence. I am now set up for next year once it dries.

On a completely unrelated note I'm looking for a mid range quality offset smoker (sub $2k CAD) to replace my piece of lovely char Griller. Any Canadian goons have recommendations for stuff available in BC?

sinburger fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 22, 2023

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Did a 6lb pork butt for 8.5h at 250(ish...) today using a Weber kettle grill and the snake method(briquettes and hickory chunks). Got it to 180 for chopping texture and am thrilled that it turned out so well on a first attempt. I , however, did immediately buy a thermometer that won't make me walk down to the grill a billion times to check the temp.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Will 100% do his again.Rubens were fantastic. Basically followed joshua weissman recipe.

sterster fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 22, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Am I the only one who's considered getting a meat slicer for home use? Looks like the smaller ones aren't crazy expensive, but I dont know how good they are. On the other hand, that's another thing I would have to store.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have one. Like $250 IIRC. Great for slicing cheap sandwich meat roasts from Costco and slicing meat to make jerky.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I have a cheap one from Best Buy of all places and it Bella brand. It’s actually terrible, but it was $30.

A decent one would probably rule for Hotpot/Shabu at home too.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ive considered it, but id need to cook more to justify it. Storage would also be an issue. I used to be a butcher and help out in the deli so im absolutely spoiled by commercial grade equipment.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For a decent halfway between real pro and home, Vevor has all sorts of equipment. From slicers to stills, to frozen Margarita machines.

The trick to the good models are the flat razor sharp blade and to ignore any with the serrated/never needs sharpening blade.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 22, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Atticus_1354 posted:

Am I the only one who's considered getting a meat slicer for home use? Looks like the smaller ones aren't crazy expensive, but I dont know how good they are. On the other hand, that's another thing I would have to store.

I got one at a garage sale, hand cranked, and thuroughly cleaned.
It was a ton of work to use and really hard to clean between uses which made me abandon it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’ve got a medium-cheap Chef’s Choice slicer that I got off of Amazon a few years ago. I’m glad that I have it, but I’ve got to be doing a pretty big job, or something I really care about being perfectly sliced. It takes a solid half hour to disassemble and clean, so it’s too much of a pain in the rear end for casual use.

When I do bacon twice a year, I do like a full 13lb belly and give some away as gifts. It’s great then for providing consistent, professional-looking results. Same for doing 2x10lb pastramis at a time.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Atticus_1354 posted:

This 100 year old Italian guy I know has a 50 year old meat slicer and sliced his own deli meat. Comes out pretty good.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I have my grandparents meat slicer from likely the early 60's and it is great. I use it on pastrami and bacon all the time, and occasionally Italian beef

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really want a meat slicer, but am having trouble justifying the room. Maybe one day!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I bet you could use one to slice garlic so thin, it would liquefy in the pan with a little oil.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I have a small pro-level slicer, (had a large gift card for a restaurant supply place). It was amazing for the feeling of being the deli boss man and how you can slice everything now. (I was making lots of bacon and pastrami type stuff). Got to the point of wanting a larger version.

But that wore off after a while (and having to clean it) and now it's a large unused kitchen appliance. (willing to sell it to a good home in Toronto).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have one for slicing homemade bacon, it was a christmas present from the mother in law. We generally make 30-40lbs at a time and give away/sell at cost to friends, so it's really nice to have.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I bet you could use one to slice garlic so thin, it would liquefy in the pan with a little oil.

Excellent quote

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

toplitzin posted:

For a decent halfway between real pro and home, Vevor has all sorts of equipment. From slicers to stills, to frozen Margarita machines.

The trick to the good models are the flat razor sharp blade and to ignore any with the serrated/never needs sharpening blade.

I bought what I thought was a cheapy from amazon. It was a mistake no real way to clean it. I will still use it for vegetables but never meat. It came with the standard serrated blade and another slicing blade. I will second Vevor for higher end home stuff all the way to I can't afford it stuff. My Vevor chamber vacuum sealer was a solid buy. I would probably buy a slicer I can sanitize next. The space issue is a true Issue.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Only if you have a very good system.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I used to have a deli slicer. My roommate at the time worked for Dietz and Watson and he would go to all these food shows, and anything they didn't sell or give away they had to throw away even if it wasn't opened, so he would just bring everything home. We also had to buy a chest freezer. That freezer was full of whole deli meats almost constantly and was the best. In any case, I got married and had kids and now I don't get thousands of pounds of free deli meat and couldn't justify the counterspace the slicer took up. Very sad.

That is my deli slicer story

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Update on my MES electric:
I finally put in the new control unit they sent me, and now on a sunny day the smoker can get to 250. Which is better than the 225 it topped out at under the old one.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

Update on my MES electric:
I finally put in the new control unit they sent me, and now on a sunny day the smoker can get to 250. Which is better than the 225 it topped out at under the old one.

Isnt it suppose to top out at 275?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My MES Portable could hit 300+ in the sun on a hot day. All depends on conditions and variables.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going to do a Tomahawk here in a few hours and I'm curious which method people would go with

quote:

Smoke tomahawk steak 225 degrees F for about 2 hrs until the steak reaches 115 – 120 degrees F internally, as measured with an internal read thermometer.
Remove tomahawk steak from the smoker.
Option 1: Finish tomahawk steak in a cast iron skillet on the stove on medium-high heat (use olive oil or butter in the pan).
Option 2: Grill smoked tomahawk steak on high, at about 500-600 degrees F with the grill lid closed, flipping after 1-3 minutes on each side.
Remove tomahawk from reverse sear method of choice (grill / stovetop) when the internal temp of smoked tomahawk measures 130 – 135 degrees F (for medium rare) or 135-140 degrees F (for medium, assuming it will come up a bit in temp as it rests).
Rest smoked reverse-seared tomahawk for 15 – 20 minutes at room temperature, topped with compound butter which should melt in beautifully.

I was going to go with the second method but maybe the first one would be best? Anyone have any thoughts?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZombieCrew posted:

Isnt it suppose to top out at 275?

Yup!

275 is the highest number you set it to, and while it's engaged it tells you what temperature it thinks it's at. My issue is that internally it thinks it's about 40 degrees warmer than it actually is. Now it thinks it's only about 25 or so degrees.

If you go through my history in this thread I've been posting about my odyssey with it. Controller set at 275, controller reads internal temp 275, oven thermometer and ambient probe temp only read like 225.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

I'm going to do a Tomahawk here in a few hours and I'm curious which method people would go with

I was going to go with the second method but maybe the first one would be best? Anyone have any thoughts?

I strongly prefer the smoked then grilled option 2. Honestly, smoked + butter/olive oil weirds me out a little. I don’t think the flavors work great.

You’ll have plenty of juiciness inside the steak and on the plate from resting juices. My smoked steaks just get a sprinkling of mushroom salt.

Compound butters are for cast iron steaks IMO.

FAKE EDIT: Exception is blue cheese butter. Blue cheese and smoke go GREAT together.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Totally a judgment call, but I would also go with grilling.

Btw, for the low and slow step, give yourself a ton of time. Depends on the thickness, but it can easily take >2 hours. Not ideal if you have anyone sitting and staring at you at 8pm as you ruin the cookout

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Totally a judgment call, but I would also go with grilling.

Btw, for the low and slow step, give yourself a ton of time. Depends on the thickness, but it can easily take >2 hours. Not ideal if you have anyone sitting and staring at you at 8pm as you ruin the cookout

Yeah that’s what I think I’m gonna do. I just got off work so I’m planning on starting it at 3pm to be done about 5-5:30 or so.

Thanks!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’ve done cast iron reverse and regular sear and it works great - and if done correctly (pan is hot as hell) will fill the house with smoke instantly. I prefer to sear on the grill or stick it under the broiler.

I almost always cook steak in a sous vide and finish in the broiler these days.

Edit - I don’t have an oven hood though. Would probably mitigate the smoke issue. Some day.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did it essentially the same way I do steaks and it came out perfectly. Took about 2.5 hours for a 2.5 lb steak.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Anyone got some pork belly recipes they like? I haven't smoked anything in a while after a move left me without a space but I got my WSM back at my new place and it is time to get back into the mix.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

UnleashedDad posted:

Anyone got some pork belly recipes they like? I haven't smoked anything in a while after a move left me without a space but I got my WSM back at my new place and it is time to get back into the mix.

Pork belly burnt ends are the alpha and the Omega for pork belly, other than making a bunch of bacon

howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

bird with big dick posted:

I'm doing the best I can I'm not a professional chef just a home cook that's trying to learn

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Negative!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Those of you in america.. It's national Brisket day sunday.. Plz do the needful. I can't participate as I'll be busy doing my clutch that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tater_salad posted:

Those of you in america.. It's national Brisket day sunday.. Plz do the needful. I can't participate as I'll be busy doing my clutch that day.

I will do the needful