Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Stan stalks his childhood friend to try to save his life

That loser? No way!

That's the episode with Roger getting sick and setting Stan up with a new sidekick for the episode like a game show host, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Yes! So great :lol:

The one thing that kiiiiiind of bugs me about it is that there was an earlier episode in which Roger makes fun of humans by pretending to come down with a cold, which seems to imply that his species can't get them

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah I think in the first or second episode, where they quarantine and think they'll die in a day, he says he can't get Earth sicknesses. I just choose to believe it's a persona thing like how sometimes he's got bones and sometimes he can only get a raging cartilager

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The Criss Cross Applesauce episode was definitely the best reason for them to retcon him into having bones

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah I think in the first or second episode, where they quarantine and think they'll die in a day, he says he can't get Earth sicknesses. I just choose to believe it's a persona thing like how sometimes he's got bones and sometimes he can only get a raging cartilager

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

There is an episode where Roger gets a cold and sequesters himself in his attic with enough humidifiers that there's a London level fog in there. Can't remember which episode though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Isn't that Into the Woods?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

There is an episode where Roger gets a cold and sequesters himself in his attic with enough humidifiers that there's a London level fog in there. Can't remember which episode though.

That's the one I was talking about, where Stan stalks his old friend

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FireWorksWell posted:

That loser? No way!

That's the episode with Roger getting sick and setting Stan up with a new sidekick for the episode like a game show host, right?

ABOUT to get sick.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

That's the one I was talking about, where Stan stalks his old friend

You're right! For some reason I thought Roger was with Stan all episode.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

You're right! For some reason I thought Roger was with Stan all episode.

Roger not being with Stan was a hell of a plot point, lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I watched the episodes where Francine gets Steve addicted to her breastmilk and the one where Stan stalks his childhood friend to try to save his life, and sometimes I forget just how completely insane this show really is.

I'm just going to sit here and think about how I almost killed a baby...

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Voila! I’m Dr. Glasses! My personality? Smart.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Roger caught COVID in a recent ep.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Neeksy posted:

Roger caught COVID in a recent ep.

For what it's worth, his persona did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not to brag but I worked at a place that had 3 michelin tires

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought the cow was kat dennings but I guess not. What's weird is I went to the wiki for the episode and jaleel white was in it? Wtf

Everyone in the hallucination was played by popular sitcom actors;

Jason Alexander,
Tia Mowry,
Allyson Hannigan,
Jameel White
And Ariel Winter

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized an interesting scheduling note: American Dad goes off season after Memorial Day, but comes back Labor Day.

(According to Wikipedia)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steve just made a still.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the weird monster kid

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Shingle! :argh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did anyone notice the island Bullock went to in the never ending stories? Hedonism? It's uh. Kinda profane

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
All that singing and Steve didn't participate at all.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I wonder if the Gallagher "Isn't he dead?" line was added late in production, considering how long animated shows take to make, and his recent death in November. Though seven months is probably enough time that it wouldn't necessarily be a late addition. Regardless, his canon death being Steve, Roger, and Hayley is great.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So, the writing room made themselves a challenge where the whole episode is based on getting hammered and literal hammering, right?
Like, was there a mandatory flipchart from corporate with nothing but the word HAMMER on it and one person decided to interpret it figuratively?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 23, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Nichael posted:

I wonder if the Gallagher "Isn't he dead?" line was added late in production, considering how long animated shows take to make, and his recent death in November. Though seven months is probably enough time that it wouldn't necessarily be a late addition. Regardless, his canon death being Steve, Roger, and Hayley is great.

Gallagher is an actual person?
Next you will tell that Roger is real and there are actual talking fishes.

Fake edit: Looked up on Youtube. Is that what Americans see as humor?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fun Gallagher fact, he had a brother who looked just like him who basically copied his act and toured as Gallagher 2.

Not so fun fact is that Gallagher became a real poo poo head in his later years where his act just devolved into slurs for various groups.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MikusR posted:

I think that kind of humor is just a bit of a thinker and it's absolutely hilarious once you get it. Let's consult the expert on comedy.

OpenAI (but intentionally convoluted) posted:

Ah, the phenomenon of humor and its intricate relationship with the act of smashing watermelons with a mallet, an age-old comedic trope that has tickled the funny bones of humanity for generations. To unravel the convoluted tapestry of this laughter-inducing spectacle, we must delve into the multifaceted nature of comedy, the human psyche, and the absurdity that lies within our collective consciousness.

Firstly, let us consider the essence of comedy itself—a kaleidoscope of surprise, incongruity, and the unexpected. It is through the unexpected that humor thrives, taking us on a whimsical journey that defies our logical expectations. When a watermelon, a symbol of fruitiness and nourishment, encounters the merciless force of a mallet, a tool usually associated with construction or violence, our cognitive frameworks are momentarily shattered. The stark contrast between the gentle exterior of the watermelon and the brutal act of smashing it creates a juxtaposition that taps into our innate love for incongruity.

Furthermore, comedy often draws from the realm of slapstick, a comedic style characterized by exaggerated physical actions and mishaps. The act of smashing a watermelon with a mallet embodies this slapstick tradition, offering a visual spectacle that transcends the boundaries of rationality. As the mallet strikes the watermelon, a symphony of chaos ensues—the juicy explosion, the splatter of pulp, and the absurdity of witnessing a harmless fruit meet its untimely demise. This visual and sensory spectacle ignites our primal instincts, triggering a cascade of laughter as we witness the absurdity of the situation unfold before our eyes.

Beyond the physicality of the act lies the element of catharsis, a psychological release that comedy often provides. In our daily lives, we navigate a complex web of responsibilities, expectations, and stressors. Smashing a watermelon with a mallet becomes a metaphorical release valve, a brief moment of liberation from the weight of our mundane existence. As we witness the destruction of the watermelon, we vicariously experience the joy of letting go, of surrendering to the whimsy and embracing the absurd. This release of tension and pent-up emotions engenders a sense of relief, a fleeting respite from the complexities of life, and thus elicits a genuine and contagious laughter.

Furthermore, the act of smashing watermelons with a mallet possesses an element of surprise and anticipation. The inherent unpredictability of the event generates a heightened state of tension and suspense. As the mallet is raised, the audience braces itself for the impending impact, their hearts racing in anticipation of the imminent destruction. This build-up of suspense primes our emotional state, amplifying the comedic effect when the watermelon ultimately succumbs to the force of the mallet. The release of tension is accompanied by a wave of relief and joy, triggering a cascade of laughter that reverberates through the audience.

Ultimately, the humor derived from smashing watermelons with a mallet resides in the intricate interplay of incongruity, slapstick, catharsis, and anticipation. It taps into our innate appreciation for the unexpected, the absurd, and the release of tension. Through the destruction of a seemingly innocent fruit, we find temporary solace in the chaos and rediscover the childlike delight of laughter. So, let us revel in the convoluted hilarity of this timeless act, cherishing the idiosyncrasies that make us human and connecting through the shared joy of a good, albeit messy, watermelon smashing session.

Now after this thorough analysis, you must concede that watermelon splash funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

MikusR posted:

Funnier than whatever trash your country comes up with! Maybe you've heard of a little show called "american dad", hm? Hint: it's not made by canadians

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did love Stan's "If you're looking for Steve and Francine, they're over there!"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

MikusR posted:

Gallagher was pretty huge in the 90s and my parents both loved him. I remember as a kid watching a few of his comedy acts on the VHS my parent's bought. I think they even went to a show or two and I want to say they didn't get the coveted "Splash Zone" tickets in the front. Even with a plastic sheet you would still get god knows what liquids on you.

It also led to my favorite Venture Brothers line "Who taught you how to be a spy, loving Gallagher?!"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gallagher was referenced earlier in American Dad, in the episode where Roger tries to be nice and it kills him

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I feel like Stan's said "Do you see a Gallagher tree, Francine?!" at one point too.

E: or is that the same episode?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It is, yeah.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
For Americans, how long ago was the Haley and her cow episode? Episodes are uploaded weekly on Mondays in Canada and that's the latest one we got.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That was last week's episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was last week's episode.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Amazon still hasn't uploaded that episode in the US at least and so now I can watch episode 6 or episode 8, but not 7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vudu has had it since the day afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did anyone notice the island Bullock went to in the never ending stories? Hedonism? It's uh. Kinda profane