Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Earlier I posted about you being able to salute your dead comrades in Starship Troopers (the default button for this is F, but it'll just be whatever your interact key is)

Just now I found out if you get near a Federation flag it gives you the option to 'Witness Liberation' which has you salute the flag.

I hope they add new and interesting things for me to salute in the future.
salute your shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Samovar posted:

Yessssss!
I have been binging Marvels Midnight Suns, and the default interact key for everything is E, except when you need to kneel at statues of former heroes. Then the prompt straight up becomes "F: Pay Respects." I laughed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Little things in games in game, in Games (about recursive Doom .wad MyHouse):

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did My House blow up in the past month or something? I don't know how to gauge these things.

Tom Guycot posted:

The videos that blew up about it a week or so ago, no joke caused House of Leaves to go to #1 best seller on amazons contemporary literature chart, leading to a confused book publisher tweeting out wondering why House of Leaves was all of a sudden #1, and the author of the book even tweeting the video about the mod.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

Several goons on discord who know I'm into retro FPS pinged me with the video asking if I'd played it and thanks to this thread I already had.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol wondered wtf was up with that

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

madeintaipei posted:

Little things in games in game, in Games (about recursive Doom .wad MyHouse):

If anyone is interested, here part 1 of 3 someone did explaining how all the effects were done in the wad, as well as showcasing all the various areas in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq1-TZXz9xo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I ended up watching both of the linked videos, including all 3 parts of the technical video and man, what a crazy achievement honestly :psyduck:

Just the sheer amount of work and attention to detail across this WAD is truly wild. Though actually one of the craziest parts to me is that this person also had an account on the forums to use that was really old and apparently hadn't posted in forever?

Like even the meta narrative around it has a really good attention to detail

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Something I just found in GOW:Ragnarok

In the Thor fights and the cutscenes before and during, Thor visually and audibly snaps to return Mjolnir to his hand. He doesn't just hold his hand out like Kratos does.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hardspace Shipbreaker is extremely my very specific jam, and I especially like how as you the player gain experience and capabilities and get a grip on the difficulty curve you go from tentatively making cuts in the most careful manner to confidently going ham.

I've gone from very carefully venting ships of atmosphere prior to making any holes in the hull to deliberately using explosive decompression to yeet components out of cargo bays and directly onto the salvage barge because time is money and if I'm aiming to make $5m a shift then anything that costs more than a second per $5k of component value to save rather than destroy is not worth the effort.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How old is myhouse.wad? I seem to remember a mod that messed around with stuff like that from a while ago, but not to the same degree. It's a wild concept

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ilmucche posted:

How old is myhouse.wad? I seem to remember a mod that messed around with stuff like that from a while ago, but not to the same degree. It's a wild concept

It's been out since early March

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My friends and I used to make Doom wads that took place at our high school.

... then Columbine happened ...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like how TotK is a sequel, because it allows people to recognize Link as the hero he is. Don't think there's ever been a game in which Link isn't just some scrub, especially at the beginning of the game, but instead has people greet him with a wide-eyed stare, flabbergasted that the hero of Hyrule is here talking to them, or confident that now he's here, this den of monsters doesn't stand a chance. It's refreshing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I like to think that even the various people that just see Link running through town or climbing cliff faces like a spider monkey are massively relieved to see him. "Oh good that weird kid is back, things will be back to normal soon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

When the world is at its darkest, legends speak of a weird mute twink that shall appear to restore order

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I like to think that even the various people that just see Link running through town or climbing cliff faces like a spider monkey are massively relieved to see him. "Oh good that weird kid is back, things will be back to normal soon.

With the way ToTK is designed, it means the absolute bastardization of physics inflicted by Link upon the kingdom of Hyrule by players in Breath of the Wild is canon.

At some point Gorons have witnessed Link soaring through the sky on stacked minecarts, before stasising and smacking a treetrunk into a Hinox to kill it near-instantly.

And then use another tree to Stasis and launch himself off to his next adventure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"And then he built a surfboard out of an apple and a wooden plank and zoomed off faster than the speed of sound."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Morpheus posted:

When the world is at its darkest, legends speak of a weird mute twink that shall appear to restore order

He's not mute anymore, though, right? Doesn't Link get dialogue in the newer games?

I remember reading a VERY angry writeup about this a year or two ago.

e: I didn't realize until now that recent Links (post-Skyward Sword, I mean) are right-handed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

He's not mute anymore, though, right? Doesn't Link get dialogue in the newer games?

Nah, he's still mute. The anger was about other characters now being voiced in cutscenes starting with BotW.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

credburn posted:

e: I didn't realize until now that recent Links (post-Skyward Sword, I mean) are right-handed.

He's...voiceless, but not mute. That, or when people ask "what happened?" in this game, and he waves his hands around, they are very skilled at interpreting his motions.

Also it bugs me that he's been right-handed. A left-handed hero was such a good little detail that they changed for the sake of motion controls (understandable), but never changed back.

Edit: What's that, Link?

*waves hands*

Zelda's stuck in the well? Oh no!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
He talks to other characters in game but you don't hear him

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

Isn't it post Wii Twilight Princess, where they flipped the entire world so he could be right handed for the waggle controls?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

credburn posted:

MySchool.fbi

I remember someone in my high school made a partial school map in Unreal Tournament, but complete with bounce pads and teleporters. So the arcadest stuff you could do. Still got a stern word about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

And you were like "dang, beat us to it."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With the way ToTK is designed, it means the absolute bastardization of physics inflicted by Link upon the kingdom of Hyrule by players in Breath of the Wild is canon.

At some point Gorons have witnessed Link soaring through the sky on stacked minecarts, before stasising and smacking a treetrunk into a Hinox to kill it near-instantly.

And then use another tree to Stasis and launch himself off to his next adventure.

Link canonically completed all 120 shrines in BOTW because you start TOTK with full hearts, but also handed in 0 Korok seeds because Hestu has no idea who the gently caress he is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

bawk posted:

Link canonically completed all 120 shrines in BOTW because you start TOTK with full hearts, but also handed in 0 Korok seeds because Hestu has no idea who the gently caress he is

Canon BOTW link gave koroks the amount of respect they deserved

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Owl Inspector posted:

Canon BOTW link gave koroks the amount of respect they deserved

:hmmyes:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bawk posted:

I see the Koroks as being weirdos with no attention span, if you're not one of them or constantly around them, they'll forget who you are in a week or two.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Medium thing about TOTK: I honestly didn't care a whole lot about the Divine Beasts in BOTW, you got a few neat abilities/gimmicks but the dungeons themselves were a little meh, and the boss fights were mechanically interesting but felt samey since you were just fighting Ganon.

I've completed the Wind and Fire temples in TOTK, and the buddy abilities change that a lot. You get a new tool to use for traversal that mechanically ties to the fight, the spectacle of the fight is great, the aesthetics are fantastic, and the dungeons feel more rewarding. They are good.

I think part of it is the rebalanced reward system for fighting enemies. In BOTW, a silver bokoblin was just a tougher, smarter version of that enemy. In TOTK, killing that enemy adds to your power level because their monster parts directly upgrade your weapons. It doesn't feel like a constant war of attrition because you are always getting something for killing enemies, and the simple focus on traversal options you already use in the overworld lets you more fully explore the ways you interact with those mechanics in the dungeons.

Even the boss refights feel fun, because the fights are snappy and make you feel cool for successfully rinsing this giant beast again, and you get a monster part that drastically increases your power just for killing it. The Wind Temple boss dies to 12 arrows on a perfect run and drops a good part that can double a weapons attack power.

Nintendo really examined the bad aspects of BOTW and did a lot to counteract those complaints.

E: the buddy abilities also make the dungeons feel more zelda-y, because you get a specific reward for completing the dungeon that also ties into the structure of the dungeon, but improves the rest of the game due to its utility. I am always using the Wind ability to get around, and the Fire ability is useful for fighting enemies weak to fire or explosions. It's also just plain useful for breaking rocks, especially since it mounts to any vehicle you are using

I'm actively chasing after these dungeons now instead of avoiding them, because the abilities are so much more useful compared to BOTW's (excepting Revali's Gale, which was practically mandatory)

bawk has a new favorite as of 17:16 on May 23, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just want to elaborate a little on what I mentioned earlier; in the 90s, in the months leading up to Columbine, my friends and I would spend all of our free time working on Doom maps and playing them against each other. We recreated most of our high school -- Doom couldn't do levels, so we actually had like one of us doing the First Floor map, another doing Second Floor, I was mostly working on the West Side Aux and outside area. After Columbine, there was all this stuff about how they played Doom all the time, and made maps of their high school, and of course we were talked to about it. But not just talked to about it -- we had to have counseling, we had to constantly explain to grown ups what Doom is, what Doom isn't, and that we're not in a Trenchcoat Mafia and we're not practicing murdering our peers, etc. etc. This lasted over the summer, and for the entirety of the following year. Just constant updates, constant concerns about how risky we were (not that there was any consideration for how we were actually doing mentally or emotionally; nobody gave a gently caress about how we were feeling, just whether or not we were at that level of depressed or crazy where we might murder students -- I guess it is important to note that before Columbine, school shootings happened but they seemed rare and almost never more than one shooter so I guess at the time grownups didn't know how to handle school shootings or students)

Amusingly, even though nobody seemed to actually understand what Doom was (A video game? Like Donkey Kong?) ultimately all our parents seemed to be alright with us playing the game as long as we promised to stop making our own maps.

Stupid fuckin compromise but whatever, we still got to play Doom.

e: this is the acceptable amount of child murder thread right

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1or3YILu28M

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This post/thread title combo is quite something.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fun in Planet Crafter; the way the planet changes as you terraform it, you notice each step happening and go oh that's cool but you don't really realise how far you have come until you go back and start a new game to see the original landscape again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How do you figure? Does an NPC comment on that somewhere?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

How do you figure? Does an NPC comment on that somewhere?

TotK's new gameplay mechanics are clearly derived from the umpteen thousands of hours of video of players doing incredibly-inventive things to abuse Breath of the Wild's physics well past breaking point, in order to further enable player creativity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

TotK's new gameplay mechanics are clearly derived from the umpteen thousands of hours of video of players doing incredibly-inventive things to abuse Breath of the Wild's physics well past breaking point, in order to further enable player creativity.

Yeah sure, but where is that acknowledged in game by anyone to make it canon plot and not just mechanics?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

Yeah sure, but where is that acknowledged in game by anyone to make it canon plot and not just mechanics?

:goonsay:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dude bold and italicized canon, back that up with in game lore

:colbert:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The bad guys name is actually Ganon :eng101:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

cool looking game. 10/10 rating, demo available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Reminds me a lot of the gradual terraforming in UFO Afterlight.