Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

cowboy beepboop posted:

this is better than all the kids driving f150s but strictly worse than if they just walked or rode
https://twitter.com/Const_vila/status/1463863812793290759/

I would dearly love to import one of these things into NZ but as far as I know they're not road legal as they wouldn't pass local road worthiness regulations, regulations that are set because every other car on the road is a tank and regulations which encourage the continuous entankification of cars.

Yes they're objectively worse than walking, cycling or public transport, but they're objectively better than any other car and represent a useful mechanism of transitioning people away from personal vehicles in societies structured around driving with limited alternatives. This kind of vehicle still allows for life in car-centric cities, but at a maximum speed and mass which would drastically reduce the potential for injury to vulnerable road users, and at significantly less resource consumption and emissions production vs. other cars (including current EVs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doc Hawkins posted:

preemptively leaving a wreath on the side of the thread for you

Jeez little dark for a christmas wish but okay

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Blackhawk posted:

I would dearly love to import one of these things into NZ but as far as I know they're not road legal as they wouldn't pass local road worthiness regulations, regulations that are set because every other car on the road is a tank and regulations which encourage the continuous entankification of cars.

Yes they're objectively worse than walking, cycling or public transport, but they're objectively better than any other car and represent a useful mechanism of transitioning people away from personal vehicles in societies structured around driving with limited alternatives. This kind of vehicle still allows for life in car-centric cities, but at a maximum speed and mass which would drastically reduce the potential for injury to vulnerable road users, and at significantly less resource consumption and emissions production vs. other cars (including current EVs).

plus there's a fleshlight installed right there in the dash to keep your passenger occupied while you drive, no distractions

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Horace posted:

plus there's a fleshlight installed right there in the dash to keep your passenger occupied while you drive, no distractions

And fabric straps to pull the doors closed like a stripped-down superlight sports car.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my Jetta the mpg only drops over 70 or 2000-2200 rpm. when I take fuel efficient routes that max st 50 or 55 often the 1 mpg gain gets thrown in the trash the moment two badly timed lights come into play.

the solution is public transit so people don’t have to drive. the speed limits are rarely enforced anymore that lowering them is just going to make people go faster as they won’t have the excuse of “just 10 over limit officer” anymore.
in Europe speed cameras work as they are run by the government but in America they always end up a clusterfuck of sub contractors from Saturn running them and often not being accurate

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Xaris posted:

motorcycles are cool + good unlike cars

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
American transit agencies are hiring the most car brained people:

https://twitter.com/numble/status/1661189341358456833

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

duomo posted:

they’ve published a job offer with a $250k salary for government relations, to convince officials to do this sort of thing

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

duomo posted:

loving lmao

me, requiring a lane to only permit buses and bikes

i am worse than Robert Moses and Adolf Hitler combined

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 06:42 on May 24, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/dannyman/status/1661087159082967040

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
We Were Wrong About Sharrows

quote:

The former executive director of the California Bicycle Coalition was a key player in the proliferation of shared lane markings. Twenty years later, he’s disillusioned with them.

It was the late 1990s and I thought we were so clever. We had just convinced the San Francisco Department of Parking and Traffic to incorporate an innovative new design into its bike plan, a bold statement conveying “bikes belong” right there in the middle of the street. I had first seen a shared-use marking, or “sharrow” — a white bicycle painted directly on asphalt — in photos of Paris and Chicago, put there to help bicyclists get through intersections by indicating their path of travel. In 1993, James McKay, a bike planner in Denver, used it on a trial basis to emphasize a bicyclist’s right to ride in the middle of the lane.

I was the young executive director of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. We published a hard-hitting newsletter and organized leaders from businesses, churches, community organizations, youth groups, and more into a coalition that was giving unprecedented voice to the demands of San Franciscans for safer streets. Looking to those examples from Chicago, Paris, and Denver, we pushed to get an improved version of the sharrow design formally included in the city’s bike plan and approved for use by the state of California. Mayor Willie Brown famously painted the first sharrow on Grove Street outside of City Hall, getting some green paint on his fancy suit and laughing it off in his inimitable style.

The City of Oakland, CA, experimented with this "super sharrow" on 40th Street in hopes that the symbol would be more effective if underlined by green pavement. It didn't work, and the USDOT did not approve the treatment.

San Francisco went on to paint thousands of these symbols all over its bike network, and hundreds of cities followed suit. I thought the sharrow would educate bicyclists to stay out of the “door zone”— the three or so feet of space adjacent to parked cars where motorists opening car doors and bicyclists could collide — and usher in a new era of safer streets, one where motorists would patiently wait behind bicyclists “taking the lane” because this painted symbol made it clear they had the right to do so. Where we couldn’t get a bike lane, I hoped this symbol would effectively convert the mixed-traffic lane into an adhoc bike lane when bicyclists were present.

I was wrong.

It turns out that motorists really don’t like to wait behind someone on a bike, regardless of the paint on the street. Even Oakland’s experiment with the so-called “super sharrow,” where the bicycle path of travel is painted solid green, isn’t enough to get people on bikes to comfortably “take the lane.” Sharrow or no sharrow, most people on bikes dangerously hug the edge of the roadway, squeezing themselves into the door zone to avoid blocking car traffic.

Simply put, sharrows don’t do what we hoped they would. Studies back up that claim.

Early research in San Francisco and Florida showed evidence that behaviors changed slightly on streets with sharrows. For example, some bicycle riders positioned themselves a few inches further from the curb or car doors. A 2010 evaluation of shared lane markings in three separate cities again showed that the markings had some positive impact on behavior. Looking closely at the results, however, it was clear the changes were too minor to make a difference. After Oakland’s experiment with the super sharrow, the Federal Highway Administration announced it would not support future experiments, and Oakland does not plan to continue the treatment when it repaves the street.

San Francisco still uses sharrows, but for the most part, city officials know better than to expect them to do much for safety. Today, beautiful sharrows point bicyclists along the circuitous path of the “wiggle,” where a right-left-right-left series of turns directs riders on a gentle grade between San Francisco’s steep hills. They are great for navigation and, perhaps, concentrating riders on certain streets — that’s about it.

Bright green arrows are useful for marking the zig-zag path that takes bicyclists across San Francisco while avoiding the steep hills.

It’s been more than 20 years since I had high hopes for the sharrow as a tool for safety. Today, we know so much more about what it takes to make our streets safer for bicycling. We need separate bike paths; we need protected bike lanes on busy roads; and where the lanes are shared, we need actual speeds reduced to 20 mph or slower. Sharrows don’t do any of that.

Sharrows do, however, accomplish something pernicious which I did not anticipate. They allow officials to take credit for doing something for bicycle safety without impacting car traffic, even though that something is next to nothing. It’s just pretending, and it’s worse than being honest about priorities. It’s insulting to the public to encourage bicycling by painting bike symbols on the street but doing nothing to actually make riding a bike any safer.

Yes, good bike infrastructure can require tradeoffs that are more politically challenging than simply painting a symbol on the street. Now, at PeopleForBikes, I’m part of a team that has successfully helped cities build networks of bikeways that actually get more people riding safely and joyfully. We help city leaders with communications, organizing, and political strategies to overcome the challenges they will surely face in building truly effective infrastructure.

We never suggest using sharrows to create a bikeway. We’ve learned our lessons. Now that we know better, it’s time to do more.
lol world most obvious shocked pikachu

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

amazing

putting on my makeup, wig and the big red nose in solidarity

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/bea...BAKILIXXOGLGZM/

quote:

Man charged for allegedly driving pickup truck through multiple properties in Koppel

KOPPEL, Pa. — A wild ride leads to an arrest. A Beaver County man faces a number of charges after police say he drove his red pickup truck through multiple properties in Koppel, Beaver County.

The path of destruction on the scene was easy to follow. Neighbors told Channel 11 the driver hit a porch, went through a fence, and demolished a shed.

“It sucks. Plain and simple,” Angelo Rosati said. He’s the owner of the shed. “I heard all this racket and noise. I come running out here. I saw my shed looking like that. It’s like, what are you going to do. I said, ‘Hell, who could do this?’”

Police say Daniel Hays of Darlington Township is the man who did it. According to a criminal complaint, Hays had been drinking at a local bar Monday evening and had left after an argument. They say he drove off at a high rate of speed.

After ramming Rosati’s shed, police say Hays fled. They later found his red pickup truck in a parking lot. Hays wasn’t there. Police say he had told family he was staying somewhere safe for the night.

“Hopefully, he got insurance. It’s going to cost a lot of money,” Rosati said. He lost two riding lawnmowers, a push mower, a 50-gallon fish tank and numerous other items in the crash.

Hays bonded out of jail and is scheduled for a court appearance on June 2.

He looks like exactly what you think he looks like, and I'm glad our system empowers guys like this

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Gunshow Poophole posted:

they’ve published a job offer with a $250k salary for government relations, to convince officials to do this sort of thing

I’m sure a few more educational trips to Bogota, Paris, and Vienna will fix this!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

for their next trick, they'll also reveal that mass transit works better when it has its own dedicated right-of-way or priority traffic rights

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Xaris posted:

"Sharrow or no sharrow, most people on bikes dangerously hug the edge of the roadway, squeezing themselves into the door zone to avoid blocking car traffic."

this makes it sound like most sharrows are boldly taking the lane rather than in the door zone themselves?...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

obviously we need a hull eye slit in suvs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hood ornament spotters ftw:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sent a pleading email to my commissioner (a progressive NIMBY) to please stop blocking a proposed multi-use path that would remove like 15 on-street parking spaces in front of some rental properties. The first time I ever visited this street I saw a dead cyclist on it, and I told her as much. Trying not to be angry right now.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

alright which one of you is CityNerd? he must be reading this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBSkLrYbLk0

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
My neighbors regularly run over their own trash can because they can't see it over the hood of their trucks.

Quaker abolitionist Benjamin Lay protested against greed and slavery, and one of his protests I particularly love is when he filled a Bible will blood so that when he stabbed it at the end of his speech, it spurted blood against the shocked church goers. Is there someway to do that, but with a doll tied to a tricycle? How do I fill a child sized doll with squibs to go off when it's run over?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/numble/status/1661189341358456833?t=cE3tkVv8dsI3i8AINqpDrw&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Americans love blood tho

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Polo-Rican posted:

"Sharrow or no sharrow, most people on bikes dangerously hug the edge of the roadway, squeezing themselves into the door zone to avoid blocking car traffic."

this makes it sound like most sharrows are boldly taking the lane rather than in the door zone themselves?...

Cyclists understand getting doored probably means at least one broken bone, as opposed to being driven over and killed by a 2000kg Ute going 40mph.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Cyclists understand getting doored probably means at least one broken bone, as opposed to being driven over and killed by a 2000kg Ute going 40mph.

Sometimes getting doored flings you into traffic and then you promptly get run over and killed

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Good video about how the suburbs feel "full" because traffic is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfrN635e770

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:41 on May 24, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That was a pretty good video. Thanks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there's a st paul city council meeting about the summit ave reconstruction (wealthiest street in the city)

lol one woman just claimed that by removing parking, it makes things more dangerous because you have to walk farther from your car to your destination, and that the only supporters are "slow bikers" and the proposal is ableist/sexist/etc./etc.

edit: proposal not bill

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 01:45 on May 25, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

actionjackson posted:

there's a st paul city council meeting about the summit ave reconstruction (wealthiest street in the city)

lol one woman just claimed that by removing parking, it makes things more dangerous because you have to walk farther from your car to your destination, and that the only supporters are "slow bikers" and the proposal is ableist/sexist/etc./etc.

wow crazy how this keeps happening

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 01:50 on May 25, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Sometimes getting doored flings you into traffic and then you promptly get run over and killed
That and dooring can easily be fatal in itself. The top of the door is around neck level. Besides, on city streets it’s not that common to be hit from behind in the same lane because of the low relative speeds. Right or left hooks are more dangerous, and doing bitchmade stuff like riding in the door zone makes you way less visible to turning traffic.

Don’t ride in the door zone people!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

more stuff about having to park further away is more dangerous, not recognizing that issue is a result of car dependence

not sure what the counterargument is in the interim though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

more stuff about having to park further away is more dangerous, not recognizing that issue is a result of car dependence

its america they can hug a gun for security

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

actionjackson posted:

Once we're all in cars at all times, we can finally feel safe.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

hey babe wake up

new Not Just Bikes just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nZh7A7qTPo

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
funding public transportation is sexist because you're basically demanding women let themselves be harassed on the train or bus

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr. Killjoy posted:

funding public transportation is sexist because you're basically demanding women let themselves be harassed on the train or bus

that's right. car ftw

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

actionjackson posted:

One little 18 year old and then just a ton of boomers on the SOS side. It’s so wild to see that disparity.

Would love to know the median ages of both groups, same w income. Same w frequency of biking.

If they don’t pass the redesign, then they should prohibit vehicles of a certain weight to help maintain the historical context of the street.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Well when I was growing up the speed limit was 65 and we had to drive 8 hours to grandmas. So there.

if they alter the speed limit, i would simply move closer/ farther from grandma to compensate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I would just build a train and walkable cities and force the grandma to come to me.

gently caress you grandma, you want my love, you gatta pump them loving legs bitch!