Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Prison Throw them in the clink for a few days to sober up and change their ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics spoiler regarding the very near future: It's generally a very good idea to return the exploration party with the steam cores before exploring Tesla City.

Propaganda Center

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Propaganda Centres

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

my dad posted:

Mechanics spoiler regarding the very near future: It's generally a very good idea to return the exploration party with the steam cores before exploring Tesla City.
Whoops, I genuinely forgot about that. Oh well, gonna have an outpost depot up to grab those steam cores soon enough anyway!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Ceremonial Funerals and make the first one for Londoners.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
have a Proper Gander, I would.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Propaganda Centre seems like it'd stem the tide of public opinion.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's Gaol time.

I wrote Gaol instead of Jail because this game is set in old-time land.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Propaganda Centre.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Duelling Law.

Let the Londoners field their champion so that we can personally resolve the whole conflict once and for all.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Ceremonial Funerals

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Propaganda Centre I think, to counter the Brexit crowd's vandalism.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Sixteen and Seventeen
With all the nonsense and misinformation being spread these days, the people feel it is important that we firmly establish the real facts in everybody's minds. The Londoners have picked the battlefield of hearts and minds, and so far we have not had the proper arms to combat them.

If I'm going to keep this city together I have to fight the lies and libel of the Londoners with my truth. We all need to be on the same page if we're going to survive here, and now I can determine exactly what is written on that page.

Once the... information centre is built, we will finally be able to fight back against the Londoners on the information front. The Guards must continue to defend their own front - they will keep an eye out for further physical escalations.

The city is modern and meticulously built. A tall tower emits a constant barrier of lightning, deflecting the incoming snow. But nobody comes out to greet us.

"Able minds and bodies will prevail over the cold", reads the slogan over the entrance to Tesla City. A central tall tower shines with the blue glow of electric discharges, which form a protective dome over the town.
But something went wrong here: there are charred bodies lying in the streets and the stench of burned flesh taints the air. We saw a lightning streak from the tower, hitting a building and leaving a gash in its roof.

The scouts report they were amazed as they approached Tesla City, marvelling at the ingenious electrical system which keeps the snow from falling over the city. As they got closer, though, they realized with horror that everybody who was still inside was fried by that same lightning field. What on Earth were you thinking, Tesla?
Against their better judgment, our brave scouts risked their lives going inside Tesla City to turn off the damned machine...

We've seen a thing or two in our lives, but nothing has ever frightened us as much as this blasted lightning. Until we figured out how to switch it off, that is. Now we'll be able to establish an Outpost here.

...and miraculously, they succeeded! The scouts report the site is a trove of steam hubs, rich enough that they risked dodging the lightning blasts to ensure we could get into it.

Along the shore of the frozen bay, we can see the outline of an enormous ship. A wide lane of broken ice leads to it from the west.

The scout team is eager to leave the smouldering graveyard and set out for this ship, doubtless the very one which bore the Americans here.

An outpost team (designated unit three) is assembled, ten people who will set up camp at Tesla City and work to extract steam cores. If all goes well, they should be able to send daily shipments once they're established.

Our coal mining operations are now more efficient, though still not enough to run the Generator at the higher heat level indefinitely.

With a source of steam cores that should last us the forseeable future secured, I have the research time begin looking into some older proposed designs that I'd passed over precisely because they required a steam core. The hothouse will allow us to grow food at home; it will be good to finally get some variety in our diet! I could do without eating yet another bloody serving of arctic fox soup for a good while.

A huge ship has been dismantled here. Only its massive keel plates remain under the ice. Railroad tracks lead south.

We found a piece of hull plate bolted to a boulder. It's engraved with the following inscription: "In the year 1886 the American expedition aboard Hephaestus landed here in search of a haven from the global glaciation.
May God preserve the souls of our fellow countrymen who perished on the way aboard our sister ship Prometheus."

As expected, this is the ship that bore the Americans here - at least, the one that made it. This one has been mostly picked clean already, but the scouts take what they can.

An oddly shaped building with various antennas and instruments. It looks like some kind of research facility.

A wide lane of crushed ice extends along the shore as far as the eye can see, obviously left by the American dreadnought.

There is a research station the scouts could investigate, but I have them head south, following the ice corridor.

The education centre and our new hothouse are placed. They are among the largest buildings we have designed so far, and need to be placed a little bit further out from the city centre to fit.

Outpost team three has arrived at Tesla City and begins the process of dismantling the wreckage for usable steam cores.

We're following the wide corridor of crushed ice that the American dreadnought, the USS Hephaestus, left in its wake.

We marvel at the thick slabs of ice that have been crushed and swept aside by the American dreadnought Hephaestus. Soon we might be able to learn how it managed to accomplish such feats - we can see a huge silhouette in the distance, which might be its sister ship Prometheus.

The silhouette of a huge ship. It's most likely the wreckage of the USS Prometheus, the other American dreadnought. There are no signs of life.

My hunch turns out to be correct. The Prometheus broke down near enough to the Hephaestus that our scouts can reach it on foot. Hopefully this one will be more intact than its sister.

The information centre is built and staffed with our best writers. A bulletin is distributed right away, highlighting my strong leadership and the low odds of survival outside of our city. If this is to be a recurring publication, it will need a name - perhaps we could name it after the arctic foxes which are thriving so well in this climate!

Not long after the opening of the news centre, one of the staff was struck by inspiration, and soon these flags bearing our newly designed emblem are unfurled over every symbol of Order in the city.

The new hothouse is also completed. This will give us a steady income of food over the course of the day, supplementing the big delivery we get every morning from the nightly hunt.

Sir, people are no longer concerned by the Londoners' slogans. Some have started to bring hot soup to the guards patrolling the streets.
"We just couldn't bear watching them walking the streets in this cold. The slogans? The deranged scrawl of cowards, nothing more."

For the first time, the Londoners have failed to persuade anyone to abandon our city and flee to London. People are recovering from their shock at the news of Winterhome and starting to hope for the future.

The results of our inaugural bulletin are a massive success. Our loyal citizens are more dedicated than ever to this city, and the Londoners are no longer gaining any ground with their uncontested rhetoric.

While everything else was happening, our builders were also hard at work preparing enough housing and shelters for the children of Winterhome. As a bonus, the last of our old original tents has also finally been upgraded into a warmer and more permanent structure.

A second outpost depot is authorized. The placement of this one ruins some lumber, but now that we have the wall drills that will not be a concern.

The second of our steam core-reliant designs is finished. We will finally be able to build automatons of our own!

Most of the machinery aboard the USS Prometheus has been dismantled and taken away. The massive steam hammer used to split the thickest ice lies broken by the ship's bow.

The dreadnought is stripped of useful machinery, but its hulk contains enough steel to justify establishing an outpost here.
On the bridge we found a log with Tesla's last orders: "Transfer all supplies and able-bodied survivors aboard Hephaestus. Take the amputees only if you have prostheses to make them useful."

The scouts have found Prometheus, still intact enough that I have already decided our fourth team will be sent here to salvage its steel. These American dreadnoughts are far larger than the one we took up here from London, though they operate on similar principles.

A few hours away, yet another wrecked vehicle is visible. Scout team two goes to investigate; meanwhile, unit one is on a two-day trip to the research station that two skipped earlier.

Another massive building, the factory is placed near the steel mines to share the steam hub that is already there.

Outpost team four is outfitted and sent out to start salvaging the Prometheus as soon as possible.

Here is the last of the steam core-dependant building designs. The infirmary is larger, warmer, and better equipped than the medical tents we've been relying on for so long. It is placed next to our care house, which has fortunately not seen any use yet. Hopefully the infirmary will keep it that way.
Our new resource depots are already full to capacity with wood and coal, so I get the researchers looking into a way to get more use out of them.

We found the wreck of some sort of vehicle. We can salvage some parts from it.

Whilst disassembling the wreck to salvage what we could from it, we found a hidden cache of supplies.

A rusty shack. Nothing more can be seen from this distance.

The scouts continue to collect resources and scout ever further away. The day they return home will be a bounteous day indeed!

The infirmary is complete, and some patients who were resting in our medical posts are moved to the more comfortable and efficient infirmary right away.

The factory is also complete. We can now built automatons, though we are limited as ever by our steel supply; outpost team four will solve that issue shortly. We could also build prosthetics here based on the Tesla Manufacturing designs, if we sign the appropriate law.

The shack is falling apart, but its contents still have some value to us.

Searching the shack, we found plenty of valuable supplies.

Scout team two could probably build their own city with all the resources they've gathered, at this point!

This place is the only thing standing out in the endless white desert.

We can see some kind of facility, perhaps a sawmill. It looks abandoned.

Though I am initially fascinated by the concept of a stone ship, the scouts quickly clarify that it is nothing more than a convenient landmark. They are sent to investigate the abandoned sawmill instead.

The patients at the infirmary are given extra rations to encourage their speedy recovery, and with that, it is finally time for another vote. The last law opened up two new options for us:

Agitator will let us build loudspeakers to broadcast message of encouragement to people working near them, raising their efficiency. This has no effect on hope or discontent, nor does it lead to any further choices, but will delay the next vote by 63 hours.
We could also draft a Pledge of Loyalty. This will permanently raise our hope, and gives us the ability to encourage Londoners to renounce their false ideology and pass on information about their comrades to us. This choice does not lead to anything on its own, unless we institute Forceful Persuasion (after Prison) as well.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 23, 2023

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Foreman.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
E: nah

Philippe fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 23, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have literally never seen both Tesla City and the bears producing the same result, in either one of my own or other people's playthroughs. I wonder if it was changed by a patch at some point.

RIP cousin Nick. You were a weird one, and I wish your name wasn't as tainted by association with that south african fucker who named his company after you.

Foreman.

I'd honestly vote to veto the pledge of loyalty if that were an option.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

my dad posted:

I have literally never seen both Tesla City and the bears producing the same result, in either one of my own or other people's playthroughs. I wonder if it was changed by a patch at some point.
Yeah, I was surprised. Checked the wiki and it just it's a 50/50 chance, nothing about the odds being tied together, so I guess I just got lucky.

quote:

Don't forget None of the Above is also an option!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm changing my vote to Foreman

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Which man? Foreman.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prosthetics Lets give our wounded a hand up.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

foreman

Remalle posted:

As expected, this is the ship that bore the Americans here - at least, the one that made it. This one has been mostly picked clean already, but the scouts take what they can. There

there what? it just ends there, oops

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Foreman

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Patrol

We need to get hope higher to combat the londoners

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Duelling Law.

We need to get combat higher to have hope against londoners.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Duelling Law.

We need to get combat higher to have hope against polar bears.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

biosterous posted:

there what? it just ends there, oops
That was supposed to go on the next line, thanks for the catch!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Too much Order would put us in a similar situation Tesla City had to face, we neeed Balance above all.

Ceremonial Funerals

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I've been watching Foyle's War with my dad lately and those banners are giving me some not-great vibes.

That said, I think we'll want a small stockpile of Prosthetics before we need them.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Ceremonial Funerals, let's get some new traditions in place. Having played games like dishonored makes me want to take whoever came up with the agitator law, and "volunteer" them for the next scouting team.

Great buff, but makes me want to scream and shoot things.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Foreman, I think. I forget what it does though, but it sounds a lot less Orwellian than the others.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Prosthetics, so they can be put to work.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

my dad posted:

RIP cousin Nick. You were a weird one, and I wish your name wasn't as tainted by association with that south african fucker who named his company after you.

Foreman.

I had both give positive results when I played through and was wondering what you were on about. Maybe it was patched to make them independent.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Foremen

They're amazing and have no downsides - no drop in hope, major boost (particularly if you have to do extra/emergency shifts). They can even help Automotons (somehow). They make every production building better with no downside.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Eighteen
It has been decided that appointing trusted overseers will raise the efficiency of our workplaces, and they can simultaneously keep an ear out for seditious whispers among the workers.

Our new foremen will be selected carefully from each work site and be paid with extra food rations should we have need of their service.

Sir, one of our people has committed suicide. In his spare time, he wrote poems about loss, suffering, and the death of hope. Our Propaganda Centre waged a campaign against him to protect our people from his influence. Now people might blame us for his suicide. Unless... we make it look like he drank himself to death.

Robert Crugg, a coal miner and mediocre poet, was found dead overnight, not long after reading the critical response to his output that we put in our inaugural news bulletin. We cannot risk a loss of faith in the Centre so soon after its institution, so the official line is that he drank himself to death - a tragic, but not unforeseen end, for those who knew him.
I toss his writings into the Generator myself, while the city is still asleep. A poetic end for such a libelous body of work.

Another sunrise, and again the Londoners saw no new membership overnight. Though he was never officially one of them, Mr. Crugg's writings undoubtedly influenced many to join their ranks.

Indeed it is a sawmill. It hasn't been used in a very long time. Everything is covered in ice.

There was probably an outpost here years ago. Now there's nothing left of it but this frozen sawmill.

We are not hurting for lumber, but this wood is doing nobody else any good. The scouts take it and head to check out the landmark they saw earlier, the stone ship.

Our resource capacity is increased again, and the wood workers get back to their collecting now that there is once again room to store their harvest.

I have a foreman appointed in both of the steelworks, one to manage a team of human workers, and the other to keep an eye on the automaton. I still hope to start building our own automata soon, but today's project will be upgrading more of our hunter's huts into hangars.

Helping the steelworkers will be outpost team four, who expect to be able to send us a hundred units of steel per diem!

The researchers needed quite a bit of wood and steel but they've once again upgraded their workshops. With the aid of these calculators we can look into even more advanced designs than before. First up will be a steam-powered upgrade for our coal mines.

An explored waypoint for our scouts.

Our search hasn't uncovered anything of value, but we may be able to reach some more promising locations from here.

There was nothing of interesting to be found at the landmark, nor did the scouts spot any further points of potential interest from atop it. They finally begin the return trip home with their massive haul.

As I watch the new airships being built and launched one by one, I am informed it is already time for another vote. We have no new options on the ballot, only these familiar ones:

Agitator, Pledge of Loyalty, Prison and Patrol are available for Purpose, while House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Extended Shift, Triage, Prosthetics and Ceremonial Funerals are available under Adaptation. We also have our None of the Above choice as always.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Some Dueling Law for fun and excitement.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Extended shift. Discontent is a resource to manage like all others. We can easily afford to have people work longer hours at Steelworks, Coal Mines and/or Workshops.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
House of Pleasure. Let our citizens warm each other up when it gets cold.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Ceremonial Funerals

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ceremonial Funerals.

It would have helped with the poet thing to have had them, but better late than never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Prosthetics, Amputees can work again. (if we have any)