Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zookeeper Steve posted:

hi Team fortress 2 it's friday night for me here are some videos of people doing rocket jumps and stickybomb jumps. these are videos i clicked on as they appeared but they are very good. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcbtEZsbp4c

Estrogen is to e-sports as testosterone is to regular sports. That’s why they’re called e-sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Jumpmaps are the coolest and I hope people never stop making/running them.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
been back to playing tf2 after not having touched it since 2012 or so. minus the bot shenanigans, it's been a blast. mainly been queuing in casual. does MvM or whatever drop any significant rewards? i've read that the people who are really into it get a bit sweaty and ornery.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SUN DAWG posted:

been back to playing tf2 after not having touched it since 2012 or so. minus the bot shenanigans, it's been a blast. mainly been queuing in casual. does MvM or whatever drop any significant rewards? i've read that the people who are really into it get a bit sweaty and ornery.

if by significant you mean non-cosmetic, then no. the most notable drops are the strange and australium weapons

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I'm always an advocate for playing MvM with at *least* a few friends, if not a full party. I can't imagine playing that gamemode with randos, it sounds like a terrible experience

Butt Detective fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 12, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Playing MvM for the rewards is like buying keys and opening crates but with extra steps.

Fortunately you're allowed to just play without having to buy the lottery tickets first (you just don't get any rewards), although the queues for that tend to be pretty sparse so probably won't fire unless you're playing with friends.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
On the bright side, there's lots of resources for learning HOW to play MvM, so if you and your friends are all starting at zero, you'll still do fine. WeezyTF2 is a TF2-ber who's probably the most helpful, constructive, and prolific name in the MvM community, and has videos about everything from "which weapons are best for each class" to "why these specific upgrades are traps" to "a guide to some of some of the hardest waves and how to deal with them".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember fondly when valve decided to allow refunds in mvm and the strat for tank waves was "everyone go soldier, refund everything, spend it all on upgrading the bison and melt that tank."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

girl dick energy posted:

On the bright side, there's lots of resources for learning HOW to play MvM, so if you and your friends are all starting at zero, you'll still do fine. WeezyTF2 is a TF2-ber who's probably the most helpful, constructive, and prolific name in the MvM community, and has videos about everything from "which weapons are best for each class" to "why these specific upgrades are traps" to "a guide to some of some of the hardest waves and how to deal with them".

Holy poo poo at the firing speed upgrade bugs (As in some levels don't work and are a waste of money). I didn't even know some of those existed. :psyduck:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Isn't there a bug in MvM where players abuse buyback to get infinite money?

I thought it was a really fun game mode years ago, but it's not worth paying extra for.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 12, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I only played MvM when it was brand-new, but I remember having tons of fun not knowing what was good, just trying stuff and attempting to figure out what worked. That's obviously not an experience you could have today without a carefully-isolated friend group, but still. Sometimes I feel like the last game-wiki-adverse person in existence.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My ping is always in the 100s when I try MvM

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Started playing for the first time since 2012 too. Heard about servers with half-decent moderation like Uncletopia so tried them out. Evening hours gets a LOT of alarmingly competent folks stomping lobbies. Scouts nailing meatshots from 30 feet away, rollouts into the enemy sniper getting 12 streaks of headshots, amazing juggles by demos and soldiers, etc.

Gotta find servers decent for dad-tier gaming that I qualify for

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Blind Duke posted:

Started playing for the first time since 2012 too. Heard about servers with half-decent moderation like Uncletopia so tried them out. Evening hours gets a LOT of alarmingly competent folks stomping lobbies. Scouts nailing meatshots from 30 feet away, rollouts into the enemy sniper getting 12 streaks of headshots, amazing juggles by demos and soldiers, etc.

Skial is my goto for screw around servers. It’s not the greatest but it fills that niche. I basically can only play soldier/scout/demo during uncletopia prime hours.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blind Duke posted:

You can just queue up for Casual and you probably won't get any bots. A little while back a bunch of TF2 youtubers made enough noise on social media that Valve paid some coders to fix their video game hat-money machine and one of the things they've done is made it much harder for bots to run and much easier to actually kick someone if they are botting or cheating.

Edit: Enjoy it while it lasts, though, there's no telling how much longer Valve will keep paying them to fight that arms race.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
It could just be my region (Asia) but I've been seeing an uptick of bots lately, not to mention frequent DDoS attacks on Tokyo servers. Still playable games out there but it takes a few tries.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Meet the Director Reillustrated

https://meetthedirector.neocities.org/

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
me when its MAY FIRST
https://twitter.com/everymonthfirst/status/1653006351566766081

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I'm home sick and playing TF2 since 2012 because I remembered the Meet the X video's are funny.

All my gear I had is gone. What happened to it?

Why do people come onto the server from username twitch.com/SurpriorBotRace and they play "Team Fortress is dead The bots have taken over. Uninstall the game" until they get voted off?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 13, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Comstar posted:

So I'm home sick and playing TF2 since 2012 because I remembered the Meet the X video's are funny.

All my gear I had is gone. What happened to it?

Why do people come onto the server from username twitch.com/SurpriorBotRace and they play "Team Fortress is dead The bots have taken over. Uninstall the game" until they get voted off?

there has been an ongoing robot apocalypse for several years now, casual is basically unplayable

as for your items, i dunno, maybe the item server was just down

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The bots were actually driven back for a little while, but yeah, if you wanna play, you basically need to find a community server.

Uncletopia’s servers are pretty good but the people there tend to be long-time players who’re a lot better at the game than your average casual, so prepare for a trial-by-fire. Conversely, Skial can be hit-or-miss on server quality but you get a larger variety of game modes and player skill levels.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 14, 2023

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Tenacious D came out with a new song.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Just reinstalled this game after 10 years and holy poo poo I’ve lost any ability I had to play the game effectively. Also the game runs at like 15 FPS holy poo poo. All I can do is blind spam pipe bombs at choke points, and honestly that’s enough to entertain me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Solarin posted:

Just reinstalled this game after 10 years and holy poo poo I’ve lost any ability I had to play the game effectively. Also the game runs at like 15 FPS holy poo poo. All I can do is blind spam pipe bombs at choke points, and honestly that’s enough to entertain me
Look up Mastercomfig to hopefully get your FPS back up to at least a steady 60(I'm assuming your computer is an ancient potato like my previous one was), once you have that realized it should be a relatively simple matter of regaining your skills through playing the game

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Solarin posted:

If you stick around there are ways of getting much better fps (the default is awful). Just click a few choices and follow the instructions on where to paste it. Well worth it.

https://mastercomfig.com/app/

https://www.teamfortress.tv/42867/mastercomfig-fps-customization-config

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdWw9XOFt4

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

cock hero flux posted:

there has been an ongoing robot apocalypse for several years now, casual is basically unplayable

This hasn't been my experience at all. I also returned after a bunch of years, and have almost exclusively been playing casual. Yeah there are some bots, but they get kicked pretty fast, and a couple of times I've gotten into a match that is taken over by bots, and have to re-queue.

Game is great, medic is great, demo, pyro are great, why are there no tf2 smilies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If I knew how to make GIFs in gimp I'd do one based on :umberto: but it's the pyro and the text is just increasingly small "hudda hudda hudda"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Jippa posted:

If you stick around there are ways of getting much better fps (the default is awful). Just click a few choices and follow the instructions on where to paste it. Well worth it.

greatly appreciate this. it feels impossible to actually play the game with certain classes with terrible FPS. If I could even get 30 consistently that would be miraculous.

Xakura posted:

This hasn't been my experience at all. I also returned after a bunch of years, and have almost exclusively been playing casual. Yeah there are some bots, but they get kicked pretty fast, and a couple of times I've gotten into a match that is taken over by bots, and have to re-queue.

Game is great, medic is great, demo, pyro are great, why are there no tf2 smilies.

A large number of casual matchmaking game I join have bots initiating vote kicks against random players. I’ve been kicked a few times and attempted to be kicked even more. It’s kind of really loving bad, I barely know what is happening as a returning player. I don’t know what a bot even looks like besides them spamming vote kicks and saying ‘f1 bot’

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Solarin posted:

greatly appreciate this. it feels impossible to actually play the game with certain classes with terrible FPS. If I could even get 30 consistently that would be miraculous.

A large number of casual matchmaking game I join have bots initiating vote kicks against random players. I’ve been kicked a few times and attempted to be kicked even more. It’s kind of really loving bad, I barely know what is happening as a returning player. I don’t know what a bot even looks like besides them spamming vote kicks and saying ‘f1 bot’

Yeah that sucks, I've been lucky I guess.

In my experience, bots have weird movement, always plays sniper, insta headshots (including snap turns), sometimes plays music/voice clips, sometimes spams chat with a link to some site (omegatronic dot cant remember or a discord link). And are quite often named doeshotter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Solarin posted:

I found out that spamming text chat macros is permanent muscle memory and when playing pyro I just spam into the void, "hey Emron, how's that 8200 working out for you?" endlessly

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I found out that spamming text chat macros is permanent muscle memory and when playing pyro I just spam into the void, "hey Emron, how's that 8200 working out for you?" endlessly

I’ve retained a strong ability to spam random voice barks at inappropriate times. I think it’s the thing that’s brought me back to the game: being able to make my character say dumb poo poo for no reason because it’s funny sometimes. Miss those cool fools sessions

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Part of the reason I haven't played much in ages is because when I got a new laptop I lost my class configs, which bind different barks to m1 or m2 for most classes. Scout shouting "I did it!" and fistpumping every time he shoots :3

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

Part of the reason I haven't played much in ages is because when I got a new laptop I lost my class configs, which bind different barks to m1 or m2 for most classes. Scout shouting "I did it!" and fistpumping every time he shoots :3

WELL DONT THAT BEAT ALL

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
drat dagnabbit damnit

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jippa posted:

Ah didnae need ya help, ya know!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i main pyro but you bet your bottom i still slam that thank you command and mumble out the line when i get healed.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
This game wouldn’t be half as much fun without the voice commands, I have ‘Negative’ bound to E so I can spam it on the way from spawn. Nothing like a grumbling, mumbling sniper suddenly blurting out AH PISS

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Dieting Hippo posted:

i main pyro but you bet your bottom i still slam that thank you command and mumble out the line when i get healed.

"Thanks!" show up in chat as well

I always appreciate thanks as a medic, especially if it's saving someone doing something dumb, or some stuck low health soldier or similar across the map shouting for a heal arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a happy mode and a sad mode I can so between, bound to O and P. In happy mode, H says positive voice lines, in sad mode it says negative lines. Also every movement key and shoot, they trigger lines too. There's also a mode that adds the "use" command to those buttons so I can equip a noisemaker and have it constantly going off.