Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

TL/DR: Mostly because Americans are kind of dumb and a disturbing amount of them are full on and all in for fascism.

They don't see it as fascism if it is in support of their own beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1661177795895087104

Trump's lawyers are now just sending out whiny letters

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Look at that formatting. That’s a shamefully formatted whiny letter.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It literally just says "Trump is being treated unfairly, unlike the Biden Crime family!" but wrapped up in a mess of bullshit.

That's the best argument they could come up with?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol how common is whataboutism in legal documents?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sometimes I have to be in the room during a 1st Grade class and this is exactly like that.

"But teacher, he did it toooooooo... That's not fair..."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, it's really all going to depend on the economy. The 2022 Mid-terms made it very clear that the anti-Republican force which came out in 2020 didn't just decide that politics were over once Trump was gone. And the GOP hasn't backed down from any of the things that made 2022 a bad year for them. If the economy stays at this level, it's hard to see how Trump wins in 2024 because literally nothing will be going better for them - Trump will be 4 years older, still harping on how he won 2024, and the party will still be screaming about national 6 week abortion bans and anti-trans bills.

But if the economy tanks, like from the GOP enforcing a governmnet default due to the debt ceiling, all bets are off, because

I think we're post-"It's the economy, stupid," mostly because Republicans do not actually run on the economy. This is because they either have no plan whatsoever or their semi-secret plan is to kill social security, your grandparents, minorities, and women to "balance" the budget. The Democrats effectively won the '22 midterms during historic inflation, but the Republicans ran on all the rights they're going to take away from you and there was never an economic plan besides Voldemort raising everyone's taxes. At least you can credit Scott for trying, McConnell goes out of his way not to have a stated platform.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, if the economy truly tanks Trump will have an easier time in 2024 than in 2016.

Unemployment is at record lows and there has been no sign that it's going to let up. Why would you expect the economy to tank sometime soon? We're coming out a period of major economic suppression and people have money they want to spend.

Edit: Oh I guess the default is possible but holy gently caress that is going to cause a major problem for both parties on a level we've never seen before. Everything will just get significantly more expensive and difficult to manage. I don't really want to imagine what that will do to politics.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The GOP does this in hopes of hanging it around the Democrat's necks.

Every time they do it - and I believe that this will be the third time in the last 30-years - everyone knows it's the GOP pulling this crap, and that they have, once again, punched themselves in the dick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PainterofCrap posted:

Every time they do it - and I believe that this will be the third time in the last 30-years - everyone knows it's the GOP pulling this crap, and that they have, once again, punched themselves in the dick.

And somehow none of this is remembered by the relevant people, so it keeps happening.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

"Fake news, Dems were the ones who really did it."

That's all it takes to convince most Republican voters.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think the amount of damage and hardship that would be caused by a default like this would be transformative for politics (most likely in a bad way). I'm not sure just saying it's "fake news" would continue to be effective at that point

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think the amount of damage and hardship that would be caused by a default like this would be transformative for politics (most likely in a bad way). I'm not sure just saying it's "fake news" would continue to be effective at that point

I don't agree, but I hope you're right.

I just have no faith in this country anymore. It seems like Conservatives take whatever they hear from whatever Right Wing propaganda mouthpiece they subscribe to and believe it wholesale. I don't see why a default would suddenly give them reasoning and research skills. They already want to believe Biden and the Left are destroying the country.

All the Right needs to do is tell them "We wanted to avoid the default, but Biden forced it because he literally hates America." That would be a complete and total lie, but tell me it wouldn't work.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 24, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Name Change posted:

I think we're post-"It's the economy, stupid," mostly because Republicans do not actually run on the economy. This is because they either have no plan whatsoever or their semi-secret plan is to kill social security, your grandparents, minorities, and women to "balance" the budget. The Democrats effectively won the '22 midterms during historic inflation, but the Republicans ran on all the rights they're going to take away from you and there was never an economic plan besides Voldemort raising everyone's taxes. At least you can credit Scott for trying, McConnell goes out of his way not to have a stated platform.

I'm not really sure how much transformation of the economy it would take for people to feel optimistic about it at this point anyway. I think a lot about how violent crime fell by half between 1993 and 2001, then dropped even further for the next ten years to not reverse until the pandemic Even the "crime wave" of recent times is still safer than it was when GWB was elected.. And yet at no point in those 25+ years did people in either party by and large feel safer, even the ones who wanted criminal justice reform.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xiahou Dun posted:

It literally just says "Trump is being treated unfairly, unlike the Biden Crime family!" but wrapped up in a mess of bullshit.

That's the best argument they could come up with?

Doesn't that literally say that the way Biden is treated right now (i.e. not being investigated for anything) is fair?

Killer robot posted:

I'm not really sure how much transformation of the economy it would take for people to feel optimistic about it at this point anyway. I think a lot about how violent crime fell by half between 1993 and 2001, then dropped even further for the next ten years to not reverse until the pandemic Even the "crime wave" of recent times is still safer than it was when GWB was elected.. And yet at no point in those 25+ years did people in either party by and large feel safer, even the ones who wanted criminal justice reform.

The crime is just temporarily receding, like a giant tsunami, which empties all he water beforehand. All that uncrimed crime of the last few decades has to go somewhere. :tinfoil:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 24, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Bible posted:

I don't agree, but I hope you're right.

I just have no faith in this country anymore. It seems like Conservatives take whatever they hear from whatever Right Wing propaganda mouthpiece they subscribe to and believe it wholesale. I don't see why a default would suddenly give them reasoning and research skills. They already want to believe Biden and the Left are destroying the country.

All the Right needs to do is tell them "We wanted to avoid the default, but Biden forced it because he literally hates America." That would be a complete and total lie, but tell me it wouldn't work.

Well, that was their line the last several times they tried and my impression was that while their rabid base bought it, nobody else did and their rabid base is too far gone anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The election system is so rigged they can get a majority with that tiny base, so that's all they need. And if it's not they'll just rig things harder.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cant cook creole bream posted:

The crime is just temporarily receding, like a giant tsunami, which empties all he water beforehand. All that uncrimed crime of the last few decades has to go somewhere. :tinfoil:

That's a novel explanation for Sam Bankman Fried, but it checks out.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

People conflate the stock market with the economy, largely because they're perpetually displayed as if they're live scores on ESPN. Gasoline prices have a similar effect, because they're basically the only consumer good where prices are prominently displayed on a board that you can see everywhere even if you're not trying to look for it. It's a big reason for the results of that big survey the other day, where everyone rates the health of their local economy as doing great, and the national economy as doing poorly. The tangible thing they can see in their little bubble is doing fine, but they reduce everything outside of it to whatever the number on TV says, and the number is, at best, unchanged in the last 12 months.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Doesn't that literally say that the way Biden is treated right now (i.e. not being investigated for anything) is fair?

Just coming right out and admitting that every time trump says “fairly” he means “favorably”.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

gregday posted:

Just coming right out and admitting that every time trump says “fairly” he means “favorably”.

Is this a change? Wasn't he always this 'careless' with language (i.e. a liar)? Fake news, witch hunt, etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Unemployment is at record lows and there has been no sign that it's going to let up. Why would you expect the economy to tank sometime soon? We're coming out a period of major economic suppression and people have money they want to spend.

Edit: Oh I guess the default is possible but holy gently caress that is going to cause a major problem for both parties on a level we've never seen before. Everything will just get significantly more expensive and difficult to manage. I don't really want to imagine what that will do to politics.

The GOP is completely willing to have the US go into default because they believe they can put the blame onto Biden.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I agree with their thesis, generally.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mutata posted:

I agree with their thesis, generally.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Biden is being investigated by a special counsel for his handling of classified documents, just like Trump.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm sorry, who are you again?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mutata posted:

I'm sorry, who are you again?

Are you seriously trying to mean girls me about dead comedy forum rep?

Cool.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you seriously trying to mean girls me about dead comedy forum rep?

Cool.

Whatever you say, my dude. I don't even know who you are or what your point is, but keep fighting the good fight against people who post on forums.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd say they're roughly the same as 2016 and 2020.

Most of it has to do with his opponent and the extreme lack of enthusiasm, excitement and passion that he generates along with the lack of any genuine accomplishments he can hang his hat on. Biden is very old and noticeably suffering in the cognitive area. He doesn't inspire anybody and no one views him as that solution to much of anything.

Biden is old and not exactly energetically charismatic but he does have genuine accomplishments from his administrations COVID response, infrastructure bill, inflation reduction act, etc. I agree that he's old but people genuinely want some kind of return to normalcy or at least politics that aren't nearly as caustic and confrontational. He delivers on that.

Now, is that enough to win in 2024? I am not sure but I think it's safe to say he's still a genuinely competitive candidate despite his faults and even age especially compared to MAGA-Republicans.

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump's base seems to take every indictment, verdict, investigation and accusation as validation of the Deep State and something resembling a badge of honor that only proves everyone is out to nail Trump. The MAGA base is dug in, HARD, and just keep doubling down every time he fucks up or does/says something stupid. They LIKE it. There's not a LOT of them, but there's more than I'm comfortable writing off, and as we know, Trump doesn't have to win the popular vote.

Trump has an entire RWM apparatus at his disposal that has a large reach and kisses his rear end. Members of his party either have his back or refuse to speak out against him because they know their base.

They LOVE this stupid motherfucker and demonstrate a passion for him that no one on the Democratic side of the aisle can even pretend to claim. Hell, no one on the right can either. It's insane. A lot of why I think he can win is anecdotal, down to a vibe and my full and total realization that the US populace largely consists of abject morons and angry, very misinformed and heavily armed aggressive frightened people who view this man as Jesus Christ. I'm hard pressed to think of a political candidate in my lifetime that's inspired this cult like level of dedication. Especially for someone who lost. Stickers, flags, t-shirts and hats abound. Can we name another political candidate where that's true?

Biden will have to campaign somewhat this time as well and carries the weight of disapproval ratings that are almost as low as Donald's are. Hypothetical head to head polls show Biden ahead by like 3% or 5% and we've seen how an election can swing with the EC based on that spread. Joe still has some time left to gently caress up or have something terrible happen between now and then as well and seems primed for a recession to hit just in time for the campaign. I think GOP voters will turn out and that there aren't enough "moderates" to offset that.

TL/DR: Mostly because Americans are kind of dumb and a disturbing amount of them are full on and all in for fascism.

Trump's base or what I like to say his core group of supporters are indeed supporting him but that likely isn't enough to win an election. The Senate Minority Leader hates his balls. Members of the GOP voted against his impeachment completely including unexpected ones like Tom Rice. Right wing media is beginning to bring on other conservatives that are criticizing him or that they like him but he needs to tone it down, go with a different approach, etc. which is is huge change.

Looking at the 2020 election. The GOP absolutely needed suburbs in places like Detroit, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc. but lost these key places enough where it wasn't some small loss were he got unlucky. It was a plain and simple defeat because your opponent simply won because he was better.

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, I am really concerned and disappointed with 2016 but I think American's are just freaking overwhelmed with everything going on and mainstream media including CNN, MSNBC, etc. hurt more than they help.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Well, that was their line the last several times they tried and my impression was that while their rabid base bought it, nobody else did and their rabid base is too far gone anyway.

And they got a Republican president in who basically rigged the Supreme Court for the forseeable future. That's exactly my point, it works.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Christ, the fraudulent charges are from loving 2016. 7 years later they finally get the case to a judge and now we're on hold for another loving year?!?

Somebody explain to me how wire fraud takes 8 goddamn years to prosecute

Well NY only learned about it when Cohen snitched during Mueller's investigation, yes? The leads were passed from Mueller to Vance, it was investigated, Bragg took over and quashed the investigation for a bit (to figure stuff out I guess), reopened the case, and pursued the investigation, and then filed indictments. At this point, it's what... 9 or 10 months for discovery (which I think is being done in three batches) and pre-trial motions?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mutata posted:

Whatever you say, my dude. I don't even know who you are or what your point is, but keep fighting the good fight against people who post on forums.

Your lack of knowledge on a subject certainly never seems to stop you from sharing your skin deep poo poo takes here. Talking about how you constantly think the sky is falling makes you a nuisance

VideoGameVet posted:

The GOP is completely willing to have the US go into default because they believe they can put the blame onto Biden.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I do think that their base would buy whoever they foist the blame on, but a default would be catastrophic for many of their wealthy supporters. Sure the Billionaires and heirs would be alright (and might even end up better off after a round of stimulus) but all the schmucks that are currently grinding to generate wealth by being monsters would likely feel disaffected by having such an absolutely avoidable weight tied around their bank accounts.

I think the GOP feels like they can still win with Trump in this political landscape. A default would completely reset things and likely generate significantly more unrest and hunger in our societies. Not to mention that everyone's stock investments would be cut on half/lost a third. Hard to plan around something severe and uniformly negative

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 25, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I think the GOP feels like they can still win with Trump in this political landscape. A default would completely reset things and likely generate significantly more unrest and hunger in our societies. Not to mention that everyone's stock investments would be cut on half/lost a third. Hard to plan around something severe and uniformly negative

I don't think "the GOP" is making any sort of calculation at all. They're just a bunch of fundamentally irrational actors. If the bus from Speed had been half full of maniacs and idiots who panicked randomly and kept doing random idiot poo poo because it felt good in the moment, or gently caress those people on the road, or gently caress those other people in the bus with them, or gently caress it YOLO, or whatever . . . . eventually the bus would crash. That's all this is.

That said a default probably would help Trump or any other replacement fascist if Trump falls out of the race due to incarceration or whatever else. Crises always help fascists.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think "the GOP" is making any sort of calculation at all. They're just a bunch of fundamentally irrational actors. If the bus from Speed had been half full of maniacs and idiots who panicked randomly and kept doing random idiot poo poo because it felt good in the moment, or gently caress those people on the road, or gently caress those other people in the bus with them, or gently caress it YOLO, or whatever . . . . eventually the bus would crash. That's all this is.

That said a default probably would help Trump or any other replacement fascist if Trump falls out of the race due to incarceration or whatever else. Crises always help fascists.

Maybe it's my eternal optimism that makes me believe that behind the facade of insanity the GOP has some rational actors pulling the strings and directing the CHUDs to make sure their networth continues to grow. I will admit I could very easily be wrong about that arrangement, but I certainly hope that is the case.

Jesus, thinking about this stuff feels like clancey-chat but it is disturbingly possible. I certainly hope that the dems are working diligently to peel off some of the less insane R representatives as a contingency. Having a default round out the economic lives of Millennials/zoomers would be unnecessarily cruel. I would imagine that people would be in the streets in any other country.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Maybe it's my eternal optimism that makes me believe that behind the facade of insanity the GOP has some rational actors pulling the strings and directing the CHUDs to make sure their networth continues to grow. I will admit I could very easily be wrong about that arrangement, but I certainly hope that is the case.

Jesus, thinking about this stuff feels like clancey-chat but it is disturbingly possible. I certainly hope that the dems are working diligently to peel off some of the less insane R representatives as a contingency. Having a default round out the economic lives of Millennials/zoomers would be unnecessarily cruel. I would imagine that people would be in the streets in any other country.

The problem is that the people pulling the strings are insulated from failure because of their vast wealth. If the U.S. falls apart, they can just move.

They are perfectly rational in the sense that they have a singular goal: make the number go up. And if the U.S. becomes a fascist state to do so? Then they already have memorabilia rooms lined up.

The alliance with the irrational 'Govern to bring back Jesus and end the world' folks is out of convenience, and most of them are already in on the grift anyways which wraps back around to group one.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Your lack of knowledge on a subject certainly never seems to stop you from sharing your skin deep poo poo takes here. Talking about how you constantly think the sky is falling makes you a nuisance

I'm not sure I agree with this. I do think that their base would buy whoever they foist the blame on, but a default would be catastrophic for many of their wealthy supporters. Sure the Billionaires and heirs would be alright (and might even end up better off after a round of stimulus) but all the schmucks that are currently grinding to generate wealth by being monsters would likely feel disaffected by having such an absolutely avoidable weight tied around their bank accounts.

If you know it's coming you can shift a bunch of your wealth into commodities and/or art and ride the downswing out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The issue is that the chuds knew there were rational actors pulling the strings and keeping them restrained, and they loving hated it. They've spent the last couple of decades slowly loosening the leash and worming their way out of the rational actors' control, helped by the foolishness of ambitious politicians who thought they could rise to power faster if they pretended to side with the chuds. In the end, the rational actors fanned the flames of the chuds' anger so much that they lost control, and now the chuds are running the show and eagerly purging anyone who doesn't fall in line with them. Plenty of well-funded GOP moderates have found themselves being successfully primaried.

Besides, the string-pullers aren't solely focused on increasing their net worth and nothing else. Rich people can be racist and transphobic too. There's plenty of wealthy folks who've bought into their own fictions and gotten high on their own supply. Being super-rich doesn't necessarily make you a rational actor, not even an ultra-libertarian wealth-maximizer style of rational actor.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I also don't think the GOP is prepared to actually trigger a default. They're just as beholden to their megadonors as the Dems are, perhaps even more. Triggering a default would be catastrophic for their own pocketbook, but more importantly to their donors. Every GOP member tied to his would become an utter black sheep to any donor, would be near guaranteed to lose their seat and then also lose access to all those cushy consulting positions they have lined up for them. You can argue that the GOP base is crazy enough to not care about them crashing the world economy (which I highly doubt) but people who give you money to help them keep their money will be super loving angry when you torpedo their finances.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Always count on a conservative to vote against their own interests while simultaneously repeating some obviously disproved talking point about how it's not the GOP's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Nephthys posted:

You can argue that the GOP base is crazy enough to not care about them crashing the world economy (which I highly doubt) but people who give you money to help them keep their money will be super loving angry when you torpedo their finances.
I think it's less a matter of the officials thinking the GOP base is crazy enough not to care if it happens, and more a matter of the officials seeing that the GOP base is captured by their media ecosphere, so that when the latter says it was all the Democrats' fault, they'll believe it.