Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like keeping the first model I painted when I started out recently to remind myself how much I've improved. I think it's important to remember that once you've mastered the basics of blending, layering, and glazing you can, in fact, produce a piece as good as that. It will probably just take a shitload of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

And then, once you DO produce a piece like that, you either become a prestige painter or, more realistically, say "gently caress that noise" because it takes forever and scale back your technique to what's comfortable and isn't taking up days of your time for one model :v:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Silhouette posted:

And then, once you DO produce a piece like that, you either become a prestige painter or, more realistically, say "gently caress that noise" because it takes forever and scale back your technique to what's comfortable and isn't taking up days of your time for one model :v:

exactly! It's one thing to know if you spend hundreds of hours on a model you can get something truly amazing, it's another to actually do it. I think I spent maybe 25-30 on a model for a discord painting competition and that was pushing it for me. And I liked the model too!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I actually enjoy spending billions of hours per model. Not doing the army painting thing, so there's no rush to get poo poo done, and spending a day on an arm or something is pretty soothing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ez8 posted:

I will go to my grave saying that the Harbor Freight airbrush compressor is a good compressor. If you're in the US it is a steal at 89.99.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...-kit-95630.html

I've had mine for over 10 years and it is still going strong.

I ended up with a timbertek and an Iwata HP-CS airbrush

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Deathwatch Chaplain on a Combat Bike from the Black Wings Chapter tonight.

vroom vroom! :black101:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bottom Liner posted:

The face is pretty wild but otherwise folks here regularly impress me as much or more.

For Example:

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a Deathwatch Chaplain on a Combat Bike from the Black Wings Chapter tonight.

is pretty loving phenomenal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Saltpowered posted:

For Example:

is pretty loving phenomenal.

:yeah:

that rules

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gosh, thanks you guys. I really appreciate that!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

AndyElusive posted:

That is the single coolest thing i have ever seen ever holy poo poo

Is there like a cool power axe i can give my chaplain bikers when i get one?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Probably

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ah so that's how you shade flat panels. Stealing this for my battlemech purposes!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's so clean :cry:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AndyElusive posted:

Are you one of the guys with the coconut shell Tryanids? or did you just use that color scheme to taunt them?

Either way, that guy is rad as hell.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Are you one of the guys with the coconut shell Tryanids? or did you just use that color scheme to taunt them?

Either way, that guy is rad as hell.

I saw the Coconut Crab tutorial video posted here and decided to try it since it looks so cool. I was going to go with Hive Fleet Leviathan or Jormungandr originally and figured if I hosed up royally with Coconut I'd just paint over it.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Top-notch work here, man. Wow.

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I love the brightness of the glow you have on the weapons and eyes, how did you go about making that? just white underneath and then the orange on top? I want to do something similar with the standard green glow but nothing is coming out as bright as that.

golden brand high-flow fluorescent paint

sometimes I put it over white - it helps it pop (eyes, a few other details) - other times I just use it as-is (weapons) via airbrush

I also cheat and point a UV flashlight at my lightbox when I take picture using those paints

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm gradually getting better at painting tiny heads, but they still look bizarre and terrifying when zoomed in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GreenMarine posted:

I'm gradually getting better at painting tiny heads, but they still look bizarre and terrifying when zoomed in.

A lot of that has to do with the mold not your painting!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

GreenMarine posted:

Iddqd, but it affects hair not eyes

Still working on getting the right amount of paint on a brush and trying to get things looking not poo poo. Weirdly I think the first mechs I painted have the most consistent colour, everything else looks a bit splotchier.

Don't know if trying the white primer might've had an effect on that, or if I've just been brushing too much.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 25, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished painting a couple more monsters.

Anjanath

Jyuratodus

Diablos

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Still trying, did the thunderbolt and shadow hawk in this batch. Will probably strip the thunderbolt to try again.

Mixed some green, blue and a bone colour to try and make teal for my catapult. It looks a lot more green as soon as the lighting gets a bit darker but I actually like the way the mech turned out :unsmith:

Want to learn how to properly layer and get solid opaque colours/do some detailing, but I get the impression that's real hard to do with speed paints, as has come up before.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I have not messed with speed paints, but if they're anything like contrast paints I think I have a way to make it work, but I think people are also calling slap chop?

Basically, prime flat black, and then do a heavy heavy brush of a dark grey. Then a heavy dry brush of a lighter grey. Then a lighter dry brush of a even light grey, etc, all the way up to whites. Then hit them with the contrast paints

This necromancer was done like that. The robes are GW contrast paints, three types of red in layers for highlights. The blurry skeleton on the left's bones were done with all black primer, then a wash of ushtabi bone, then sepia wash.

The paint only ends up showing up on the bits that aren't black and dark and works pretty well. Although, for the robots, it might be more of a problem of using contrast / speed paints on large flat surfaces. I believe these types of paints really aren't a fan of that type of model surface.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Teeny tiny little hero, a 10mm Bretonnian hero

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Really digging the Baron Samedi vibes this puts off.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That 10mm hero is so clean, dang!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Count Thrashula posted:

Teeny tiny little hero, a 10mm Bretonnian hero

Since it's 10mm it's no longer a hero rock but a hero pebble?? :v:

Love it!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Now that they don't suck, I painted my Heirotech Circle Kill Team.

Unfortunately, I still suck at KT.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's some superb NMM :discourse:

Ez8 posted:

Really digging the Baron Samedi vibes this puts off.

Thanks! That's exactly the reference material I used for his face paint.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wrr posted:

The paint only ends up showing up on the bits that aren't black and dark and works pretty well. Although, for the robots, it might be more of a problem of using contrast / speed paints on large flat surfaces. I believe these types of paints really aren't a fan of that type of model surface.

Thanks! I've heard this bit before :(. I've only got 2 shades of primer but might give the progressive priming a try. I do get the impression that since the paint is looking to flow away it gets a little lost on flat surfaces where there isn't a crack to run into.

Might give a go at a wash today, but am also worried about reactivating the paint which is a problem with speed paints

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

ilmucche posted:

Want to learn how to properly layer and get solid opaque colours/do some detailing, but I get the impression that's real hard to do with speed paints, as has come up before.
Layering or getting opaque coverage are about the opposite of what speedpaint or other Contrast-alternatives are designed to do. These paints are simply too translucent to achieve layering. You'll want different paints for this.

ilmucche posted:

I do get the impression that since the paint is looking to flow away it gets a little lost on flat surfaces where there isn't a crack to run into.
The uneven coverage of these types of paints on flat surfaces is also a fairly well known feature. What might help is to thin with some speedpaint medium and apply a thinner layer. This should reduce the contrasting effect some, and result in a more even coverage, with some contrast in the recesses.

ilmucche posted:

Might give a go at a wash today, but am also worried about reactivating the paint which is a problem with speed paints
Yes, this is a documented 'effect' specifically with AP speedpaint. A coat of varnish will help seal the speedpaint in before you go over it.

Bad Decision Dino fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 26, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Basically if you're using something like speedpaint the real trick is to get your light and shade nailed down first. The oft-mentioned "slapchop" technique is a refinement of the already existent idea that you make the prominent parts as light as possible, the shadows as dark as possible, and everything in between an actual and metaphorical shade of grey. And then, when you're happy with the lighting, you apply the transparent / translucent speedpaint over the top. Most speedpaints will enhance this further by clinging in the crevices and edges of your model, but they won't provide any light that wasn't already there from your base coat. This is why the manufacturers instructions are usually to use them over white primed models.

This works for a lot of stuff but is a pain in the rear end for other stuff. If you want fully opaque and even coverage then what you will need is a few coats of a properly thinned opaque paint. THis will often have the disadvantage that it takes longer for it to look okay, and you have to build in a lot of the light and shade for yourself, but you have a lot more control over how it ends up looking.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Yes, this is a documented 'effect' specifically with AP speedpaint. A coat of varnish will help seal the speedpaint in before you go over it.

Also to note that this effect is distinctly more evident in the first batch of AP speedpaints than in the reformulated ones. Ironically much to the chagrin of some painters who were using the reactivation as an effect.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oh that might explain why the ones i did with grey primer as opposed to white have better shading. I think I'll try either the starting grey then dry brushing (which I've never tried :ohdear:) on white, or doing with a white primer then washing on grey primer. Can you wash on a primer if you thin it out a bit? is that even a thing? I brush prime everything fwiw

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 26, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dry brushing is pretty straightforward once you're used to it. I'd advise testing on a mini you don't care about (or just a random primed bit of sprue) before doing it on a model, but once you know how to do it, it's pretty simple and fun. I'd also suggest getting a cheap makeup brush to do it with.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

oh that might explain why the ones i did with grey primer as opposed to white have better shading. I think I'll try either the starting grey then dry brushing (which I've never tried :ohdear:) on white, or doing with a white primer then washing on grey primer. Can you wash on a primer if you thin it out a bit? is that even a thing? I brush prime everything fwiw

You can, but you'll have better luck starting grey and then dry brushing or lightly spraying white.

Note that the effect people were using speedpaint reactivation for, at least in part, was the fact that if you brush new paint over the top, opaque or not, the speedpaint will reactivate and mix with it, giving you auto-blending of your highlights. If you want to lighten up a section of dark blue speed paint, you can just paint a lighter blue or white over it and it will blend in automatically, repeatedly in smaller sections.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished some 10mm peasants, with some 6mm pendraken (i think) chickens added for interest

close up of some chickens. the chicks are just spheres of green stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-X4SLhorvw

individual strips:

e: made new pics after gluing a broken spear!

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 27, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I mean the Chicks obviously but the loving NMM at that scale... Absolutely gently caress right off

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

I mean the Chicks obviously but the loving NMM at that scale... Absolutely gently caress right off

It's still impressive, but it isn't as small as you think. You have to remember Nebalebadingdong is Batman and that's a giant novelty penny.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i just realized from posting the pictures that the guy in the orange shirt, beside the banner bearer has a broken spear. miraculously, i found it on the floor and glued it back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya what the actual gently caress. Are you the real Ant-Man?