Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cool Dad posted:

I'm not signed in and I can see it. I would like to see the cat though.
Rehosted since the 'share' link does nothing for me either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Here's an example:

The lower beam is separating along parallel lines a bit (I'm referring to the horizontal ones, there's also vertical lines but ignore those), and they're somewhat regular.

I believe those vertical lines are from hewing with an axe, as in this lovely illustration by Eric Sloane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I believe you're right!

we've got a scandinavian person, I forget their username, who has delved somewhat into the art of hewing logs with special axes in the traditional manner of (finland? maybe it was norway?), it's cool as heck!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I believe you're right!

we've got a scandinavian person, I forget their username, who has delved somewhat into the art of hewing logs with special axes in the traditional manner of (finland? maybe it was norway?), it's cool as heck!

This video deserves a watch every year or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTfLGt59qo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wine bar terrace.

e: This angle makes it look much better, but quite frankly as I know how people drive in the city, I would just keep making GBS threads myself if I had to sit there:

ee: I just realized the guy with the long hair is the techno guy but I can't remember his name.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 19, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wine bar terrace.

e: This angle makes it look much better, but quite frankly as I know how people drive in the city, I would just keep making GBS threads myself if I had to sit there:

ee: I just realized the guy with the long hair is the techno guy but I can't remember his name.

The only techno guy in Scandinavia? Doubtful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The only techno guy in Scandinavia? Doubtful.

Linnankatu is nowhere near Scandinavia.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalsBeingDerps/comments/13lknux/persuasive/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I don’t think this is necessarily crappy construction but the one panel of this house drives me loving nuts every time I pass the house. It’s like the “one of these things is not like the other” game.

I love the color, I love the brick. I just hate that the one goes vertically.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wine bar terrace.

So this outdoor dining contraption is literally blocking the driving lane?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nitrox posted:

So this outdoor dining contraption is literally blocking the driving lane?

Parking spot, technically. They rent it from the city for the Summer.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a bunch of those popped up here during covid to allow restaurants to operate while having reduced risks of transmission. they all substituted street parking, though, not driving lanes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

`Nemesis posted:

a bunch of those popped up here during covid to allow restaurants to operate while having reduced risks of transmission. they all substituted street parking, though, not driving lanes.

There's still a bunch by me. Ate at one once. It was nice except for all the cars flooring it from the intersection through a residential area just to sound "cool".

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don’t think this is necessarily crappy construction but the one panel of this house drives me loving nuts every time I pass the house. It’s like the “one of these things is not like the other” game.

I noticed this place on my drive home a couple of weeks ago and am so confused (sorry, the best street view I could get).

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

AFewBricksShy posted:

the brick facade aside, the paneling being vertical in the bottom left and horizontal everywhere else gives me hives

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's the short bus of houses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

booooo

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We spotted this house the other day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

God drat

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SpartanIvy posted:

We spotted this house the other day.

So, my house is that red brick, or very close. I know from having cracks repaired that it's apparently difficult to source that color any more, hence the different brick. I'd have tried something more contrasting or just used clapboard or other paneling instead, but that's why it doesn't match.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If you need a few bricks you can probably make a nice match but it can take a ton of effort to source it. General Shale makes bricks all across the country in different colors and shapes and finishes, which also means that the brick you want is halfway across the country and is an extra grand to load and send it over to you if they even have it in stock ready to buy when you need it. We had a great time choosing bricks for a 12 story hospital, matching it to the neighboring tower and their various other buildings. The Mason brought us all samples of what we could get and qualified anything that isn't already in stock will not be an exact match when they make a new batch specifically for our project in a few years.

Then we got to match thin brick for casting in precast which is made in another location with another process and isn't ever going to match.

Bricks rule.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wine bar terrace.

Tears of the Kingdom is all about weird fusion but the color palette seems drab to me

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JPrime posted:

the brick facade aside, the paneling being vertical in the bottom left and horizontal everywhere else gives me hives

I don’t care about the brick. It’s the vertical siding (that was recently done) that drives me nuts.

I honestly expected to see this, I noticed the “4 panel” format while walking the dog one day. Well done.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 19, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Personally, I would've just gave the handicapped the finger.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Reading an inspection report for a home my sister is looking at buying. And I quote:

"House appears to have been tuck pointed using caulking which is not a typical repair."

Ooof.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jenkl posted:

Reading an inspection report for a home my sister is looking at buying. And I quote:

"House appears to have been tuck pointed using caulking which is not a typical repair."

Ooof.

Found one of the previous owners of my place I see

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I, too, played with knex as a kid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

One pipe, two pipe. Red pipe, blue pipe.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, just... what the gently caress do you even say to that?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, just... what the gently caress do you even say to that?

"Water hammer test!!!" While flipping valves repeatedly?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I remember this screen saver from when I was a kid!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Shifty Pony posted:

One pipe, two pipe. Red pipe, blue pipe.

Thread title?

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The MC Escher School of Plumbing

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Manifolds are really expensive ok?????

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
And he still managed to kink the cold supplying the water heater shut!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kid sinister posted:

And he still managed to kink the cold supplying the water heater shut!

:distonk:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Manifold Destiny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You guys are all wrong.

That's the thing from that episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where the Enterprise had a baby.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Emergence_(episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Harry_Potato posted:

The MC Escher School of Plumbing

They also have an architecture program there