Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Love Subnautica, and have hundreds of hours into it and the sequel. But the swimming sucks in the game, it's why they introduce vehicles almost immediately. And it's first person.

I still got out of my vehicles constantly to do stuff on fin , at which point it's basically like getting full 3D movement which usually feels good in a first person perspective. The one weird trick is to not make us do something loving annoying, like have to tap a button to push yourself around on the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Love Subnautica, and have hundreds of hours into it and the sequel. But the swimming sucks in the game, it's why they introduce vehicles almost immediately. And it's first person.

Yeah that's how you make a good swimming game, which is the same way you make a good open world game - fun traversal options where their removal is a deliberate zone or encounter choice.

We've already got a shrine that lets you do buoyancy stuff, it's coded into the game in some capacity, give us a Terror from the Deep DLC where we're piloting a submarine to clear Zonai cruise ships of gloom lobster men with a temple on the ocean floor!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

DalaranJ posted:

There is, in the location you found the first piece.

:doh: I should've looked harder.

Inadequately posted:

Apparently the breadcrumbs the game gives you are wandering fashionistas. I met one while wandering around in Hyrule Park who went 'you look like a fashionable fellow, here's a couple of rumors about some cool outfits I've heard of' and marked a couple of spots on my map. Then she told me to look out for others of her ilk to catch up on the latest in fashion gossip.

Ah yeah I've seen them around (beyond the first side quest.) One time they did point me towards some armor and one time they just didn't point me anywhere. Maybe they pointed me to Hateno Village?

I'm really looking for an easier, more consistent way to find them rather than just randomly running into them.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Nihonniboku posted:

Sea Horses.

Sailing around in TOTK does feel surprisingly good though - especially with a couple of Cannons mounted on Construct Heads to bomb any pirate Bokoblins you pass.

I could see Air being a functional replacement for Stamina - allowing you to go deeper and further.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nihonniboku posted:

vehicles in subnautica control the exact same as swimming, just faster.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://web.archive.org/web/20230522101952/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/05/18/zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-game-parenting/

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

110 hours in and I finally found the tutorial for firing a bow! :v:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This game is so good

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
the amount of content in this game rules but imho it does a much worse job than botw at guiding you towards stuff in the intended order. I've made a handful of "big discoveries" and every one feels like I'm discovering it waaaaay before I'm supposed to. Ostensibly, what I'm "supposed" to be doing is investigating the regional phenomena, but nothing in-game mentions them so I don't really care!

Then again, botw's goals were much simpler: the castle is in sight from the beginning, and your only critical goal besides going there is activating the divine beasts...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

do you have any context for why you linked this? because all I can do is laugh at this first sentence

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Finally we have a videogame equivalent of

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

do you have any context for why you linked this? because all I can do is laugh at this first sentence

Thought it was great the little kid was like "gently caress that" when asked about going to fight monsters or save Zelda bc she was busy playing with the cardboard box

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Khanstant posted:

Thought it was great the little kid was like "gently caress that" when asked about going to fight monsters or save Zelda bc she was busy playing with the cardboard box

it really helps to have context with why anyone should click on it :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also don't go up to the sky Island to buy more battery cells, there is a vendor like ten feet north of Lookout point. You can see him from the gate.

It's a much longer walk from the fast travel point, compared to the sky one where you get plopped out 5 feet away facing it.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 24, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

it really helps to have context with why anyone should click on it :)

Sorry, I went too BotW with the link posting approach, should've signposted instead.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also don't go up to the sky Island to buy more battery cells, there is a vendor like ten feet north of Lookout point. You can see him from the gate.

This is a bad take. There’s literally a shrine not hyperbole 10 feet from the sky islands battery guy. The one at lookout landing is farther from the near TP, and requires some climbing to visit. To me it feels like it was placed there because people would miss the one in the sky islands. Unfortunately, from folks in this thread, it seems he was too hidden also.

snoremac posted:

I wonder how much thought goes into the shrines and temples giving the player a sense of cleverness in subverting intended puzzle solutions without the player thinking their own solutions are unsatisfying because they're too easy or outside the spirit of things. I wonder if outside of glitchy stuff Nintendo have accounted for all the tricks that can be pulled. It feels like a balancing act that must have taken so much thought in design. It's one of the best puzzle games ever made. True of BotW as well.

I think most things people view as “exploits” were intended.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
But while you're at Lookout Landing, you can drop off those shrine items for extra hearts or get a well earned free bed, so both are good

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The problem with a lot of games imo is that they always treat water as an obstacle instead of an opportunity. It could open up so much in terms of physics, freedom of movement in combat, abilities and more, but instead it's just "you're slow now and there's a timer, gently caress you".

I started thinking about the next game a week ago or so and repeating the Wind Waker flood was one of my first thoughts. The sky and the tallest peaks is the land now, they add another layer of sky islands (with more big islands with actual geography please!), they immediately give you unlimited oxygen and they keep the depths as a cosmic horror level nightmare area (imagine the whole place lit up by weird flora and fauna and vast, biolumimescent monsters).

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Rageaholic posted:

So Cece is totally drugging people with these mushrooms she's giving out, right? :v: That's why I'm not supposed to give them to kids?

I think you don't give them to kids because kids aren't old enough to vote.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Finally decided to fight some gloom hands as I got jump scared my some in a random cave. Took a few goes and some imaginative cannon throwing builds but I did it!

And then oh gently caress utterly destroyed.

its the cave the Taki-ihaban shrine is in near where you first meet Impa. If you kill the gloom hands from a high up ledge by the shrine, phantom gannon has to do his gloom travel thing, but once he’s up there he glitches out and just keeps pulling his bow out. Thank god I had that dumbass Goron avatar who tanked every arrow and threw himself at Ganon for a slow, easy win

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Khanstant posted:

This is my kid. However she only fights enemies from far away. She’s gonna lose her mind when I show her that you can ride the dragonsbecause you couldn’t in botw

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Jaytan posted:

This is a bad take. There’s literally a shrine not hyperbole 10 feet from the sky islands battery guy. The one at lookout landing is farther from the near TP, and requires some climbing to visit.

*taps the thread title*

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Still have my froggy suit. Dyed it green. Wore it during the water temple and whispered boing to myself whenever I did the zero g jumps. Good poo poo right there

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INvTEUUpPyk

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

AlphaKeny1 posted:

*taps the thread title*

Somehow, for me it feels like more effort to pull out the ascend power, wait through the inevitable "loading" screen even though it's like 40 feet through a free standing block of stone, then jump out, instead of just grabbing on the wall and jump-climbing a few times.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I've still only found one of the fashionistas who put markers on your map and I've played this game for however long it takes to have several white enemies in every encounter, max stamina, nearly a full row of hearts and nine full power batteries. Is there any secret to it? Do they just wander around wherever?

The Hello Machine posted:

Still have my froggy suit. Dyed it green. Wore it during the water temple and whispered boing to myself whenever I did the zero g jumps. Good poo poo right there

I mean you have to dye it green.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Aww, Link's presiding over Sidon's royal wedding :3:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Black Griffon posted:

I've still only found one of the fashionistas who put markers on your map and I've played this game for however long it takes to have several white enemies in every encounter, max stamina, nearly a full row of hearts and nine full power batteries. Is there any secret to it? Do they just wander around wherever?

Maybe I just have bad luck, but I think only the first guy actually marks caves on your map. I've met others who give hints towards a cave location, but I have to put 2 and 2 together and do the legwork myself instead of getting a mark on the map.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

Maybe I just have bad luck, but I think only the first guy actually marks caves on your map. I've met others who give hints towards a cave location, but I have to put 2 and 2 together and do the legwork myself instead of getting a mark on the map.

Yeah, that might be it, I'm just worried about reaching a point where I don't have any game left to find once I find the gear, but I also don't want to just look it up on google.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lmao half of this player's tested are doomed because they ain't got no battery

edit: oh they at least figured out zonai charges by the end

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Remember to use the cherry blossom trees to help you find caves, and there's a map of the trees in the Outskirts Stable

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I think you don't give them to kids because kids aren't old enough to vote.
Well that makes sense but is much less funny!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Aww, Link's presiding over Sidon's royal wedding :3:

I do love that [Post Zora MQ] Sidon's coronation and wedding apparently amounted to 'alright you're married, now kiss her and go be king so I can retire'.

Also, Sidon's wife was explicitly from another Zora domain, which makes me wonder if we're going to see a future map where Hyrule isn't the only nation-state on the planet. The funniest outcome would be if all the other nations are spacefaring paradises that refuse to touch Hyrule because the don't want to be entangled in the frequent Ganon-tier threats the region faces.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

God drat they really did think of everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ESNA53CyQ

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Played for about 20 hours, not a whole lot, but should I have found some better armor already? Still running around in the Hylian set. Where do ya’ll go to find some good stuff? Should I enter more dungeons?

Finished one temple already.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Diephoon posted:

My reward is seeing his dumbass bewildered expression every time :allears:

After actually meeting Hudson and his family I'm a fan as well. Wondering how his daughter's quest plays out if you haven't arleady cleared the Lightning Temple though. Do they bring Mattison to Gerudo Town anyway despite it being surrounded by sandstorms and gibdo?

On another Gerudo Town note, can you ever get the prisoner freed or does he just sit in there for the entire game? Could never seem to tell his wife that he's locked up.

First spoiler yeah they do they basically say "well I'm worried about the sandstorm, but I'm sure she'll be fine."

Also I think Billson is worse at his job than Addison.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The funniest outcome would be if all the other nations are spacefaring paradises that refuse to touch Hyrule because the don't want to be entangled in the frequent Ganon-tier threats the region faces.

I wanna see Holodrum and Labrynna again, but also thinking about them makes me think of that really edgy Total War But It's Zelda fangame where Labrynnians were indeed way more technologically advanced than Hyruleans because they stayed out of all the magical wars and focused instead on steampunk and slavery. So yeah bring back Labrynna but don't let that fan be in charge of writing.

bobmcdynamite
Sep 6, 2011

eravulgaris posted:

Played for about 20 hours, not a whole lot, but should I have found some better armor already? Still running around in the Hylian set. Where do ya’ll go to find some good stuff? Should I enter more dungeons?

Finished one temple already.

If you use the lookout landing tower, you can fly up to the throne room, light the torches there, and get Zelda's armor present to link without fighting any monsters. Also, the tunnels in the emergency shelter have soldier's armor which is pretty strong. You could also just upgrade what you've got through the giant fairies. It helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Re: armor chat, the chests with maps on the sky islands also point to armor pieces, but those ones are usually in the depths.